Reggae Festival - 27 Feb 2010 - Ceres - Melbourne

This is the forum for all things Melbourne beats. Post your gigs and other Melbourne music related information here. Keep it about the music and music only, please keep on topic.
whitenoiz

Reggae Festival - 27 Feb 2010 - Ceres - Melbourne

Post by whitenoiz »

Melbourne's leading Outdoor Reggae Festival is only weeks away. This year will feature quality bands such as Fyah Walk! Kobya! Afro Mandinko & the Asanti Dance Theatre! Dj's Bass Bin Laden, Sista itations, Jesse I & Ras Crucial, African dancers, The Blue Turban Percussion & King Marong!!.

Heartical Hi Fi Outernational will produce quality dub from Derek M and his crew in the Dub stage, this world class soundsystem custom built over many years will represent Melbournes finest sounds.

This leading festival full of color, multicultural performers and market stalls is the reggae event of the year "Outdoors & under the sun".

Outdoor Reggae Festival
27th Feb 2010, 1pm-11pm

This year multicultural performers will draw on their African roots to bring reggae alive on the main stage.

Tickets are just $25 in advance, more on the gate, on sale now through http://www.greentix.com. Click here to buy now and get in early as Ceres has limited capacity and, with the success of the first festival, tickets are selling fast.

Tickets are also available from:

- Happy Herb Shop, 317 Smith Street, Fitzroy.
- Alley Tunes, Shop 8 660a Glenferrie Rd, Hawthorn.

Visit our website for more info: http://www.reggaefestival.myevent.com

Connect with us on facebook http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/page ... 824?v=wall

or email us at [email protected]

cuznmatt

Re: Reggae Festival - 27 Feb 2010 - Ceres - Melbourne

Post by cuznmatt »

this is gonna be a stella event, my good friend Paula is well involved and she puts in an awesome effort putting it together. Check it out for sure lovers of all tings dubby.
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

Am attempting to be at this :D
bassfreak

Post by bassfreak »

It's gonna be hot and sunny on Saturday... Definately sombrero wearing weather. Last year was off the friggin hook. From memory I believe it sold out. So make sure you get presales or arrive early.
ulyssian

Post by ulyssian »

see you there.. and then after party @ the Owl... and some more reggae on sunday at sydney road fest...... what a weekend it will be :) X
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

Great stuff! See y'all there.
The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

Fantastic day, again. Big-ups Paula and all others involved.

Only thing missing: Rocksteady!!!
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

apparentyl CERES is under fire from the council.
theres a property developer who is whinging about our warehouse, the carwash and now CERES.
heard that CERES liqour licence is being revoked.
fucken shit council bollox protecting the rich and destroying the culture of melbourne.
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

^^ If that's true (CERES liquor licence revoked), they should be making a whole lot of noise.Council is under a fair bit of pressure nowadays, and most of the constituents love CERES so it shouldn't be hard to drum up a shitload of support.

I fucken hate moreland council more than the state government.
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

If someone was revoking their license for noise reason its likely because it doesn't comply with the noise policy for music events.

The policy sets a fairly generous daytime noise limit (certainly not quiet at nearby homes), and allows for events of many hours length, but to balance this impact with the expectations of communities, limits how many loud events can occur during a year.

people tend to be happy copping a bit of noise, but when it occurs too often, people start to feel they are have their earned weekend rest and recreation robbed from them.

Also, if the perception was that the reason for the noise was frequent, commercial entertainment and fundraising, rather than community events (which is the traditional vibe of CERES), people tend to get more upset and complain.

re property developers: the policy is measured at actual homes, which could be people living around there for ages (many of whom could traditionally be pretty cool with CERES), not blocks of land being prepared for development. ive never heard of noise reports done for third parties not actually impacted by noise
Sociopathic

Post by Sociopathic »

I could be wrong here, but coudln't the property developer use the excuse of it affecting property prices around the area which means the property developer decides to take his development elsewhere.
Council doesn't want him to go elsewhere council wants him to stay in their council area and bring more people in (more houses means more rates means more monies) so council sides with evil man and does what evil man wants them to do.

Either way it's pretty screwed up. Ceres on a whole is a beautiful place and the odd fundraising party like this is good!
The fridge is angry, the cheese told me so.

Watch out for the penguins, they are comming
FoundationStepper

for someone to revoke a licence they need evidence of breach of licence. motivations are irrelevant.

im not sure the events at ceres are 'odd' events either? in any case, they have been very loud before, it could be enough to get people in the community offside. ive heard them from st georges/merri creek. doesn't bother me personally but if someone hears music at that distance late at night, the phychology often goes 'if its that loud that i can hear it they must be pumping it - poor people living nearby, and how rude/arrogant etc'
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

The Hearticle in full effect is pretty loud.
There are several new properties which were completed after the Car Wash was built.
Lots of hearsay at the moment, interesting to know that we aren't the only targets and also not the only offenders, in fact I think compared to weekly events and a 24 hour car wash we are the least offensive but an easier target due to not being 'legitimate' business or established community hub.
FoundationStepper

well you are the easiest to get at through other means.

id be interested to know if hearitcal broke the sound barrier, as most of the energy is in the bass frequencies, and the measurement is dB(A) which deemphasises bass.

now if we are talking about new properties causing complaint on an established live music venue (that was otherwise compliant), that would perhaps be a different story... there is a bit more gubbermint interest in this area.

FWIW I see online that ceres offers itself as a hire venue...
Dub Club Melbourne

Post by Dub Club Melbourne »

Blaxter wrote:The Hearticle in full effect is pretty loud.
Heartical was certainlty not in full effect at this event.

That main stage was pretty fkn loud though and it seems like we're the Scape Goats for that. Totally unfair.
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Dub Club Melbourne wrote:

That main stage was pretty fkn loud though and it seems like we're the Scape Goats for that. Totally unfair.
I saw your set up at the cafe when I was getting my morning coffee. Also heard what I think was you doing some shout outs.
How did you go with Tex's Db meter?
No complaints from this neighbour though.
Dub Club Melbourne

Ben mentioned you thought you heard me doin shout outs, wasn't me, we started at 5pm.

Tex's db meter was handy to have on site, but impossible to take a reading of our volume from a distance, sound pressure levels from the main stage dominated. Even the little rig round the back was blasting and the bleed from both systems into our area was terrible.

Didn't hear from anyone who was supposed to be monitoring sound levels, just a red faced dreadlock complaining about bass before it was even switched on. Me haf to laugh.

Some pure fuckery went down, but no need to go there.

Yes I know your not a 'complain neighbour'.
Last edited by Dub Club Melbourne on Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ulyssian

Post by ulyssian »

You were there Blaxter??? :shock:
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

It was clearly the main stage that was loudest. It was all we could hear at our place when we got home. Heartical was definitely in "pup" mode so I don't know how you guys could get the blame, unless the people dishing out the blame weren't actually there, and just assumed heartical was the cause of the loudness.
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

I live across the stream Uly.
Would never complain about music from CERES even when they have trance parties.
Dub Club Melbourne

Blaxter wrote:... even when they have trance parties.
lol I would :lol:
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Nice one D.
But I gotta see the big picture and respect other peoples rights to amplified music as well.
I can always clsoe the doors and crank up my own tunes, no one is forcing me to stand outside and listen to 'Trance'.
FoundationStepper

on the other hand, if you live close to a loud source of music, esp the bass, you may not be able to actually escape the music - it can permeate every room of your house, and be impossible to mask out by turning on the radio or whatever. same goes at night, things like closing the window and wearing earplugs can actually make bass noise worse
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Theres only been on gig at CERES that the bass was over the top, and I was on the wrong end of a bender at the time.
Jesse I

Post by Jesse I »

quiet roar wrote:

It was clearly the main stage that was loudest. It was all we could hear at our place when we got home. Heartical was definitely in "pup" mode so I don't know how you guys could get the blame, unless the people dishing out the blame weren't actually there, and just assumed heartical was the cause of the loudness.
I got to Ceres about 7.30pm (after my radio show on PBS) and as I was walking in I could hear the main stage and the smaller rig (Jamaica Yard or whatever it was called) but I didn't hear Heartical at all. I can't see how they could cop any blame for noise issues whatsoever...