Weedhopper Funk Party Sat 15 Oct on Smith St

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
mr lob

Weedhopper Funk Party Sat 15 Oct on Smith St

Post by mr lob »

Weedhopper Returns with 'Funk Bumps' Sat 15 Oct!!!

Finally, Weedhopper returns to party central with a new nite in the intimate confines of Soak Bar & Lounge, 80 Smith St, Collingwood.

This party will be split across two levels with the djs rocking the basement, but with the tunes coming thru on both levels.

Resident djs Mr Lob and Wax Vandal will be joined by regular guests on a weekly basis.

The music policy is based on funk; think blaxploitation, old skool rnb and hip hop, new skool funk breaks and big hair!!

The venue holds about 80 party peeps when full and we mean to keep it full every Saturday...Entry is free, with djs from 9pm - 1am

Be prepared to dance...
mr lob

Weedhopper Info at weedhopper.com.au

Post by mr lob »

Info and a breakdown of all upcoming Weedhopper, Wax Vandal, Mr Lob and Diafrix gigs can be found at http://www.weedhopper.com.au
Fents

Post by Fents »

Is the weed supplied?
mr lob

Weed Supply

Post by mr lob »

can't say that it is but knowing us someone will have some!

you can bring some too...Here's how e got our name:

The History of Our Name ...

The idea for the name came to both Djs Heptune and Mr Lob over 3 years ago as they were diggin for some records and thinking about a name for a new night they were putting on at Ace Morning in Brunswick, Melbourne. The idea was for Mr Lob and Heptune to put on a 'breaks' night so they could play some of the harder and funkier stuff they were buying but not getting to play at their hip hop gigs. While searching for records they came across the soundtrack to the tv series Kung Fu, which if my memory serves me, had a track entilted Grasshopper. At the same time we came across an album by the famously unknown 'Dynamite Brothers' who had a track about weed!! Inevitably, that was where the name came from. So not the obvious as you might be thinking!!
mrj

Post by mrj »

Also, may I mention that the term "weedhopper" feautres in the original eastman and laird "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle" comics. Spoken by Raphael from memory.

He uses it in the same context, ie "You have done well weedhopper".
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
mr lob

Thanks Mr J

Post by mr lob »

mr j you rock, had no idea that weedhopper also comes from teenage mutant ninja turtles. what a coincedence!!

it's also the name of a company in the USA that builds crop dusting planes, kind of makes sense huh?
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

mrj wrote:Also, may I mention that the term "weedhopper" feautres in the original eastman and laird "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle" comics. Spoken by Raphael from memory.

Man, I knew I'd heard the name somewhere. I worked in a comic book shop for 4 years and read every original TMNT comic I could get my hands on back then.

The night sounds supa-phat, good luck with it.

8)
mr lob

Post by mr lob »

hearing all these other links to weedhopper's name has given me an idea for a new page on the site! coming soon, 'where've you heard the name weedhopper before?'

thanks for the big ups for the new nite, obliveus
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

mr lob wrote:hearing all these other links to weedhopper's name has given me an idea for a new page on the site! coming soon, 'where've you heard the name weedhopper before?'

thanks for the big ups for the new nite, obliveus
No worries. It's good to see the funk well represented over in Collingwood.
mrj

Post by mrj »

obliveus wrote:
mrj wrote:Also, may I mention that the term "weedhopper" feautres in the original eastman and laird "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle" comics. Spoken by Raphael from memory.

Man, I knew I'd heard the name somewhere. I worked in a comic book shop for 4 years and read every original TMNT comic I could get my hands on back then.

The night sounds supa-phat, good luck with it.

8)
cant remember which issue though. I think its like number 4 maybe. its the one where its christmas and Leonardo goes out to train and gets ambushed by the foot and then the foot raids aprils apartment and they have to flee. Its the one where Casey Jones turns up for the first time.

:oops: :oops:
mr lob

Casey Jones

Post by mr lob »

mrj you're a wealth of knowledge on TMNT!

here's somethign for you did you ever read Grateful Dead Comix? Casey Jones was the name of one of the characters and also a Grateful Dead song

showing my age now man..
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

Greetings oh Lobby one :wink:
mrj

Re: Casey Jones

Post by mrj »

mr lob wrote:mrj you're a wealth of knowledge on TMNT!

here's somethign for you did you ever read Grateful Dead Comix? Casey Jones was the name of one of the characters and also a Grateful Dead song

showing my age now man..
nice one!

I did not know that, but it makes sense because apparently Eastman and Laird were big Grateful Dead fans. Its a rich tapestry.
obliveus

Re: Casey Jones

Post by obliveus »

mr lob wrote:mrj you're a wealth of knowledge on TMNT!

showing my age now man..
Got it on vinyl back home. Tune, if yer a dead head, which I used to be in my younger days.
mr lob

Obliveus a Deadhead?

Post by mr lob »

Hey Eric, didin't pick you for an ex deadhead! We all got skeletons in our closets huh!!

In fact I was also a deadhead and saw them 3 nites in a row outdoors in San Francisco in 1990. also saw them once in London.

Still got the video and tshirts to prove it.

But want to keep this a secret ok...

www.weedhopper.com.au
mr lob

Post by mr lob »

oh yeah also got 5 or 6 albums on vinyl. I'm a sucker for Box of Rain.

Need to do some breaks mixes of the dead I reckon.

So what's on the Obliveus dj schedule this weekend?

Lob
cuznmatt

Post by cuznmatt »

word lob, be seeing you in collingwood saturday before head out to warehouse destruction location number one. pop in to e55 if you're up for it on friday.
mr lob

Post by mr lob »

wow cuzzn matt you is everywhere bro...
cuznmatt

Post by cuznmatt »

yeah always lurking not too far away dude 8)
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

mr lob wrote:oh yeah also got 5 or 6 albums on vinyl. I'm a sucker for Box of Rain.

Need to do some breaks mixes of the dead I reckon.

So what's on the Obliveus dj schedule this weekend?

Lob
I've got more on CD, but my dad gave me all of his a while back. "Scarlet Bogonias" is my all-time favorite.

Nice and quiet this weekend, actually all of my weekends are nice and quiet lately. Have gone into a semi-retired state to leave more time for the family and my health. Playing 12:30-1:30am on Friday night with Ida for the Local Jam @ Fractured. "Funkybreaksrusifyaknowwhadimean"
8)
obliveus

Re: Obliveus a Deadhead?

Post by obliveus »

mr lob wrote:Hey Eric, didin't pick you for an ex deadhead! We all got skeletons in our closets huh!!

In fact I was also a deadhead and saw them 3 nites in a row outdoors in San Francisco in 1990. also saw them once in London.
I saw them a few nights in a row at the Oaklnad Coliseum in, what was it, 92 or 93. I went to far more GD parking lots though. Best place for "funny" burittos.
mr lob

Post by mr lob »

yeah obliveus my first trip was at a dead show at garden view in san fran, thought the dancing bears were coming to attack me personally!!

i also like scarlet begonias, reminds me of my hippy phase, 'she's got rings on her fingers and bells on her shoes...'

i've been in semi retirement as a dj for the last 3 months, things are just starting to turn around again with gigs and an earthcore booking.

found it quite hard to break into the scene as such, what with working fulltime, fixing up me house and valiant, ain't got heaps of time to network.

but weedhopper's been going strong in one form or another for 3 years!

stick your head in at one of our weekly funk parties.

you down for spinning some old school funk and hip hop jams at some stage over the next month if the night goes well?

Lob
yenks

Post by yenks »

WeedHopper is also a type of plane !!!

obliveus

Post by obliveus »

mr lob wrote:yeah obliveus my first trip was at a dead show at garden view in san fran, thought the dancing bears were coming to attack me personally!!
Jesus, man. Yer speaking my language right now. Are you from Frisco? Did you even know I'm from San Jose? I feel like I've found some long lost Bay Arean.
mr lob wrote:i also like scarlet begonias, reminds me of my hippy phase, 'she's got rings on her fingers and bells on her shoes...'
'...and I knew without askin she was into the blues'
mr lob wrote:i've been in semi retirement as a dj for the last 3 months, things are just starting to turn around again with gigs and an earthcore booking.
What time you playin @ Earthcore? I think I'm on sometime in the day on Saturday. Sunny tent or something. Yeah, semi-retirement is good for me, too. Fewer gigs, but only ones where I can play what I want; like Neil Sadaka over the Yentyl Sountrack. :wink:
mr lob wrote:found it quite hard to break into the scene as such, what with working fulltime, fixing up me house and valiant, ain't got heaps of time to network.
I hear ya on that. Throw in 2 kids, a mother-in-law and a pad out in the sticks and we could be twins.
mr lob wrote:but weedhopper's been going strong in one form or another for 3 years!

stick your head in at one of our weekly funk parties.
I'll try, but when I'm not playin on the weekend the wife's got me on lockdown. But seeing as you guys seem to play the same stuff I do, I wanna check it out. We'll see how the gods align the powers that be...
mr lob wrote:you down for spinning some old school funk and hip hop jams at some stage over the next month if the night goes well?

Lob
Always. Just tell me when. I'm like the dude in Field of Dreams, "If you build it, he will come".

Damn, I gotta go to bed.
mr lob

Post by mr lob »

hey obliveus, nah not from frisco but spent alot of time there in 90 and 91.

playin earthcore 3 - 4.30pm on Sat 26 november in the circus berserkus tent!!

will let you know about a gig over the next month, wanna see how the night goes and what the management is like with cashola etc

have fun at tonite's gig...

lob
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

mr lob wrote:hey obliveus, nah not from frisco but spent alot of time there in 90 and 91.

playin earthcore 3 - 4.30pm on Sat 26 november in the circus berserkus tent!!

will let you know about a gig over the next month, wanna see how the night goes and what the management is like with cashola etc

have fun at tonite's gig...

lob
Sounds cool. We might be playing around the same time at EC. I'm bringing funkiness, yer bringing funkiness; the doofers wont know what hits em.