-stYlus- presents Hook n Sling (syd) 11th March

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
deviant

-stYlus- presents Hook n Sling (syd) 11th March

Post by deviant »

Rock Like This and -stYlus- present.........

Hook'n'Sling – Hussle n Bussle

Anthony began as a breaks DJ on the Sydney circuit in 2000 and has since played his unique style of breaks at nights such as Japan4@Ambar, FunkTrust, Haphazard, BUMP, Inner Styles and Australia wide Pepsi Live Events. Drawing on early influences such as Lee Coombs, The Crystal Method and JDS, Anthony's sets have always been filled with an energetic electro-rhythmic vibe.

In 2002, production seemed to be a natural progression for Anthony. Already producing bootlegs and mash-ups for his own sets, writing original material was only a matter of time.

October 2004 saw the release of HooknSling's debut release. The Number Cruncher EP, in its first week of release, it came in at Number 6 in DJ Magazine's Breaks and Beats Chart. Big support for the EP has come from the Plump DJ's, Danny McMillan, DJ Hyper, General MIDI and Friendly. The EP also received generous airply from domestic stations such as FBI, Pulseradio and 2RDJ and also abroad on internet radio and Tayo's well respected Kiss FM show.

Since his debut release Anthony has completed 2 remixes for Nasty Tales / Come on a my House (Hussle n Bussle) which were released in May 2005. More recently Anthony was asked by Ministry of Sound Australia to arrange and produce a vocal mix of Sick Strings by The Jack Addicts, Mills & Joy for Hussle Recordings. Anthony efforts have been recently rewarded with airplays by both Annie Nightingale and Pete Tong on Radio 1.

Early 2005 saw Anthony venture into Europe for the first time as a DJ with non-other than headline slots at London breakbeat nights, Platform 12 and C64 which have previously both seen the likes of Soul of Man, Rennie Pilgrem, Krafty Kuts and the Stanton Warriors.

Recently returning to Australia, Anthony has been concentrating on new HooknSling material. Released in 2005 is Anthony's debut on white label, lending his production towards the Tricknology series, this time with Tricknology no9. The follow up release on HusslenBussle Records was put out Aug 05 with early support for the material already coming from the Plumps, Friendly, Kid Kenobi, and Cedric Benoit.

With his latest release Silver Service/Vegas Heat on Hussle n Bussle selling like hot cakes, this gig is bound to be ram jammed, so get there early!!!

Anthony is joined by locals......

Deviant
Nago
Obliveus

@ Bunker Lounge
407 Swanston St
10pm-late

$12 (door sales only)
Last edited by deviant on Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
lynt

Post by lynt »

Radness!!
deviant

Post by deviant »

fuck yeah.... very excited about this one :D
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

Dan,
Yer avatar is one of the funniest things I've ever seen...EVER!!!
shaved pussy....hrmmm!
:lol:
deviant

Post by deviant »

wrongness :)
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

deviant wrote:wrongness :)
Dont be such a 'pus'
:wink:
marcus

Post by marcus »

I am pumped for this gig. Really glad to get a guy the calibre of Anthony to come and play with us. Also picked up a few nasty goodies during the past month or so which are sure to get a play on the night, bring it! :smt035
Stylus Radio :: Every 2nd Sunday :: 6-8pm AEST :: http://www.nsbradio.co.uk
abstar

Post by abstar »

Nice one Dan, i will be at this gig for sure!!!c :D
deviant

Post by deviant »

here's some samples of his latest tunes :)

Silver Service
Vegas Heat

two ripper tunes!!!
abstar

Post by abstar »

Funky ass tunes, looking forward to it!!!!!!!!
Nick Thayer

Post by Nick Thayer »

Hook and Bling!

Woot!

Just keep him away from anything shiny.
Beats Electric - Tuesdays 8-10pm on Triple R 102.7fm

Late Show 4 Eva

http://www.myspace.com/djnickthayer
http://www.myspace.com/beatselectric

In Istanbul, we won it 5 times.....
menace

Post by menace »

:smt023 OFF THE HOOK !!!!! :wink:
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

menace wrote::smt023 OFF THE HOOK !!!!! :wink:
Pun master!!!
deviant

Post by deviant »

I just realised how whak that write up is....

that'll teach me for nicking it from breakspoll :oops:
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

Word play got ya down, Dan?
deviant

Post by deviant »

well..... it's fixed now. It said stuff like "due for realease in Aug 2005"... (which has clearly already been :oops:)
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

deviant wrote:well..... it's fixed now. It said stuff like "due for realease in Aug 2005"... (which has clearly already been :oops:)
Has it??? Like always, I'm too stuck in the past.
8)
RK

Post by RK »

Woot!!
On the mish.....
deviant

Post by deviant »

woot indeed ;)
dj awesome

Post by dj awesome »

looks good - will be down to shuffle.

http://www.djawesome.com

Live fast - yeah live too bloody fast sometimes; die young ... Die Young? No ... die old.
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

RK wrote:Woot!!
Woot squared.
RK

Post by RK »

Tour of Wooty!
On the mish.....
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

RK wrote:Tour of Wooty!
Wooty and the Blowfish.
:oops:
RK

Post by RK »

The Magic Woot!
On the mish.....
deviant

Post by deviant »

You bwoot!!
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

"Woot there it is"
This could go on forever...
mr lob

Post by mr lob »

good gig eric, cool lineup indeed!
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

mr lob wrote:good gig eric, cool lineup indeed!
Yeah, man. You heard much of him? Very tidy tracks.
8)
deviant

Post by deviant »

Those Hussle n Bussle tracks have been flying outta the stores :D
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

deviant wrote:Those Hussle n Bussle tracks have been flying outta the stores :D
H&B got wings...like Red Bull!
:roll: :D
ShiKung

Post by ShiKung »

Word to Stylus. Was there last time, Deviant was killing it. Props for keeping it fresh!
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

ShiKung wrote:Word to Stylus. Was there last time, Deviant was killing it. Props for keeping it fresh!
Like the fish market.
:D
yenks

Post by yenks »

Number Cruncher EP is one of my fav records..

please someone play it !!!
deviant

Post by deviant »

Well I reckon we should leave it up to Anthony to play his own tunes 8)
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

deviant wrote:Well I reckon we should leave it up to Anthony to play his own tunes 8)
I just had this debate with Paul. Should I play my FK5 records tomorrow night or not. My personal opinion is that you should never play the music of the person(s) playing on the night, because it's their music. They wrote it, let them rock it. That said, I'm always stealing Scotrod's fashion sense and beating him to the punch with the ladies...
:roll: :oops: :D
deviant

Post by deviant »

^^^ :lol:

I had my first Fractured gig back in 2004 and was supporting Bass Kleph..... I was really rinsing out his tune "Wild Card" at the time and was debating whether or not to play it.

I figured that I shouldn't. He didn't play it any way :( But that said I think it would've been disrespectful.
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

deviant wrote:^^^ :lol:

I had my first Fractured gig back in 2004 and was supporting Bass Kleph..... I was really rinsing out his tune "Wild Card" at the time and was debating whether or not to play it.

I figured that I shouldn't. He didn't play it any way :( But that said I think it would've been disrespectful.
I went so far as to not to play the Klaus Vs Kid Kenobi remix "Chicken Out" (the one with the Beastie Boys vocal hook) 2 nights after I bought it in Canberra because I was playing with Q45, a close mate of Jesse's. I figured he'd want to play it...mainly because at the time it was so new. I'm glad I didn't play it, because he did and it went off.
deviant

Post by deviant »

hmm interesting topic really... what does everybody else think?
RK

Post by RK »

I think its funny ur hijacking your own thread :teef:
On the mish.....
deviant

Post by deviant »

^^ Stop encouraging me or us, or whatever :teef:
Blades

Post by Blades »

Count me in 4 this 1.
The Scratch Foundation & The Brotherhood of Beats
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

RK wrote:I think its funny ur hijacking your own thread :teef:
deviant

Post by deviant »

Blade's avatar is gold!!!
ShiKung

Post by ShiKung »

I say lay it down! Would you play the track anyway?? Play it. Do you fight it out with other Djs for rights to play tunes you love before a night out. Imagine that.
"no dude I bought this 10 years ago, It was me and my ex-girlfriends fav track"
"who cares dude my cousins mate sold the dude the record the sample came off, I've got rights"
Why treat internationals with silver service, unless they are playin a live set even then they usually play it differently. Plus if the tune is killer (if it comes from OB it must be) they crowd can hear it twice! and you lay down a mixing challenge to the international to slam it!

But as with all things this has to be within reason. There is a time and place for everything. There are no rules but everyone has to follow them! Crazy.
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

I will not name names or night, but I attended a gig once here in Melbourne a couple of years ago, specifically to see an international I really wanted to see. Before said international made it up to the decks, the locals hadn't rinsed his entire catalogue, but definitely the best tracks in his catalogue had got a go. Mr. International hadn't showed up yet to hear this and when he made it to the decks, 2 out of his first 3 tracks had already been played. Because it was so close to when these tracks were already played by the locals, the dance floor suffered. He didn't clear the floor or anything, but it wasn't going off like it should have IMO.

I remember Karl wrote an article for Inpress (I think) where he talked about a good opening set, and I've always remembered it. An opening set shouldn't be about rocking the dancefloor, but building a dancefloor so the guys or girls going on after you reep the benefits. It doesn't always work this way and sometimes you have to pick it up a notch...but let the vibe decide this.

I think I fell off topic. Back to work...

ShiKung

Post by ShiKung »

Yeah, I'm not saying you should rinse out the guys tunes or the dancefloor, you still have to play a set that is required for the night. (especially if you want to get booked again)
But a night is not about anyone's ego. You shouldn't rock the floor out before the headline act, but u shouldn't avoid playin a track thats required in your set because of the ego of the international dude either.

The night is bigger than one person, ego issues are whats slowly changing in the dance scene right night. The DJ is not god. The Party is.

But your example is still relevant OB, I just reckon you shouldn't avoid it, but you definately shouldnt overdo it either.
deviant

Post by deviant »

ShiKung wrote:I just reckon you shouldn't avoid it, but you definately shouldnt overdo it either.
I reckon so too.... But I would personally feel a bit funny about doing it. But, that's just me.
dj awesome

Post by dj awesome »

obliveus wrote:An opening set shouldn't be about rocking the dancefloor, but building a dancefloor so the guys or girls going on after you reep the benefits. It doesn't always work this way and sometimes you have to pick it up a notch...but let the vibe decide this.
My take - play to the floor in front of you at the time AT ALL TIMES (every gig, every time). If there's 900 people in a venue and the international doesn't start for 2 hours and they want to dance, make them dance. If there's 10 people in a venue - cater to them. DJing isn't that hard and shouldn't be looked at in such depth imo. It's one part of a greater product - a party/event.

Live fast - yeah live too bloody fast sometimes; die young ... Die Young? No ... die old.
dj awesome

Post by dj awesome »

In terms of the playing the tunes of someone you are on the same bill with ... don't do it.

UNLESS that person is Thayer and he hasn't bought you a nice Pimms and Lemonade with his stack of drinkcards at Honkys even though you've been hinting at it for hours ... then it's fair game.

lilstormer

Post by lilstormer »

obliveus wrote:
I remember Karl wrote an article for Inpress (I think) where he talked about a good opening set, and I've always remembered it. An opening set shouldn't be about rocking the dancefloor, but building a dancefloor so the guys or girls going on after you reep the benefits. It doesn't always work this way and sometimes you have to pick it up a notch...but let the vibe decide this.

I think I fell off topic. Back to work...

:scr1pt:
Free to those that can afford it, very expensive to those that can't.