Final Scratch & Serato etc...

Tips, hints, help, tech support, setups, systems and all things related to making phat beats. Post your latest production for all to hear & review. Or quiz the resident nerds about that tech problem you just can't figure out.

Would you rather use one of these sysytems for a set than just vinyl & turntables?

yes
20%
no
40%
both
40%

Total votes: 5

Jonny Faith

Final Scratch & Serato etc...

Post by Jonny Faith »

Hi, I'm doing a research project at SAE Institute regarding the development of technology such SSL, FS, Altech etc...

Could any of you point me in the way of some resources that will shed some light on the development and detailed description of how it works?
The main things I'm curious about at the moment are:

How does the software emulate the behaviour of vinyl when manipulated by hand?

Is this done in a similar way to convultuion readings used to emulate pieces of Audio gear for plug ins?

Do the different brands use different algorithms to achieve this? (guess they must)

Who invented/came up with the idea?

What type of control signal does the contorl vinyl use (SMPTE)?

Is that also different between brands?

Anyway there's more too but that'll do for now.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated,

Regards,

Jonny
SAE Institute
Sydney
betson

Post by betson »

Hi,
There is a review of the software you are lookin at here, also some other software from different manufacurers, might help.

http://www.skratchworx.com/reviews/digitalshowdown.php
Don't forget to bring a towell!!
strategem

Post by strategem »

or you could go to the company websites and get the information, complete with technical data from the horses mouth...
www.acousticweaponry.com
- vinyl pressing
- audio equipment
- production management
- pyrotechnics
saintberry

Post by saintberry »

look into dj decks (djdecks.de i think) it is not as solid as the proff efforts but it is by far the most innovative...with vst support and best of all some dude hacked it to make it a vst.

dj deckss + ableton = ruff

speak to the developer - hes a nut, not only will he fix any bug with in lilke 12seconds of you posting it in the forums he trolls it is alwas keen for a dscussion.

both serato and final gay are way over priced for what they are IMO. there isnt much too this technology...its just a timecode, program to measure offset and an audiointerface - good ones will have phono preams.

dj decks + 2xphono preamps + decent USB 44/16 (this tech cant handle the bandwidth of 96/24) 4 in 4 out soundcard = about 140USD

ive used it, all be it only with one chn rather than 2 without! phono preamps so i can skratch custom samples and its the bizzomb
First you get her name. Then you get her number. Then you get some get some in the back seat of a hummer!