Communication in Melbourne RE: Sat 27th May

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
Cubist

Communication in Melbourne RE: Sat 27th May

Post by Cubist »

I know this seems like a bitch beacuse I've got a party on this date but the issue runs deeper. I also know this topic has been done before but re-itterating positive action aint really a bad thing.

Sat 27th May hosts 5 Breaks/DnB parties in Melb.

1. Calyx
2. Flip your Wig
3. Weedhopper
4. Local Lineup
5. Lesson One

Although the 5 parties vary they all promote the same music(s): Breaks/DnB. The issue of whether the variety is good for Melbourne and a product of a healthy scene is open for discussion. I know that promoters can't win when we are all competing with each other.

Can promoters please use the promoters Forum on MB. If you're not a member PM Lucas or Lynt. Hopefully we can all communicate a bit better and avoid such massive clashes in the future.

:D
universal sea

Post by universal sea »

I think a lot of these, dates were set in stone before melbourne breaks unite. Weedhopper is a monthly.
PahMaLa

Post by PahMaLa »

It's always going to happen, there are going to be times when there are going to be heaps on in one night. Plus there is also going to be times when there is fuck all on.
Fents

Post by Fents »

I personally think International partys should take precidence over Local gigs. If you make a local night and find that after the fact someone is bringing out an international do everything you can to avoid that date. If you cant avoid that date then live with it.

Int = Big $$$$$ and usually you can oly choose from one date.
Local = Small $$$ and usually you can be flexible.

As for Breaks im not gonna comment on somthing i know nothing about.

In your case Eden with your party being at bunker and with a mix of breaks and DnB i dont think you have anything to worry about, you only need 100 ppl in bunker to rock it.
deviant

Post by deviant »

^^^ that's what I say :)

we have (in the past) been up against multiple breaks parties.... such as on the 17th of September last year,,,,, there was Klaus @ revolver and Meat Katie @ Room, it didn't really put a dent in our numbers. We also went up against Gimme a Break (which has almost the same crowd) in October last year, only to be rammed as usual.
mr lob

Post by mr lob »

universal sea wrote:I think a lot of these, dates were set in stone before melbourne breaks unite. Weedhopper is a monthly.
interesting thread and something I thought about when planning weedhopper's monthly breaks room.

bummer about the clash for sure. after this weekend weedhopper presents 'the breaks' will fall the first Saturday of every month beginning in July.

besides this weedhopper runs 'the get down' every sat but this is strictly a funk, funk breaks and old school hip hop nite, we don't really do any nuskool stuff and leave the dnb to the crews already rockin it so well.

our breaks party this Sat takes place in the basement while we stick with our usual funk upstairs to keep our regulars happy. the breaks room will be banging but mostly on a real funky tip as such and will steer clear of the harder stuff and dnb. we also are the only place I know of in the area (collingwood) who will be doing this.

the bar only holds about 120 so hopefully we won't detract from the other wicked nites going on.

from what I see each nite features a different niche and hopefully each will get a full house!

we planned this date from early april and it has been posted on the weedhopper thread since then, so really sorry about the confusion.

as you said keen to open better communication lines and work together more.
Little Evil

Post by Little Evil »

deviant wrote:^^^ that's what I say :)

we have (in the past) been up against multiple breaks parties.... such as on the 17th of September last year,,,,, there was Klaus @ revolver and Meat Katie @ Room, it didn't really put a dent in our numbers. We also went up against Gimme a Break (which has almost the same crowd) in October last year, only to be rammed as usual.
Your bar has a recomended of capacity of 87 people.
Didn't even put a dent in us either. :D
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

it comes down to the same premise that exists with any sort of competitive industry - be it gigs or supermarket goods.

IF YOUR PRODUCT IS WELL PACKAGED (ie promo, music etc) PEOPLE WILL RESPOND.

The only people who need to worry about clashing gigs are the weaker ones.

There's 4 weekends in a month - there will always be more than 2 things in one night. Maybe think about growing the potential audience rather than concentrating on forums dedicated to talking about potential date clashes.
deviant

Post by deviant »

Little Evil wrote:
deviant wrote:^^^ that's what I say :)

Your bar has a recomended of capacity of 87 people.
Didn't even put a dent in us either. :D
exactly my point, 87 (with a max of 120 if you squeeze 'em in) isn't even an issue in the grand scale of parties..... LL IV is also at bunker, if I were Edan I wouldn't even worry about it, he's been pushing enough promotion for the party to hold up on it's own, especially in a small venue like bunker.

I'm gunna be there, that's for sure

:rollinconnection: :thumbup:
Sustain

Post by Sustain »

shepherd wrote:it comes down to the same premise that exists with any sort of competitive industry - be it gigs or supermarket goods.

IF YOUR PRODUCT IS WELL PACKAGED (ie promo, music etc) PEOPLE WILL RESPOND.

The only people who need to worry about clashing gigs are the weaker ones.

There's 4 weekends in a month - there will always be more than 2 things in one night. Maybe think about growing the potential audience rather than concentrating on forums dedicated to talking about potential date clashes.
^^^the thing is in this case -i speak only for dnb- is that you've got two great gigs with artists and promoters to match:
unfortunately you've got alot of ppl (like myself) who would usually be pumped about one but have decided to go to the other on this occassion

my point is that both gigs have nice packages -yeah that's right- but the times clash which is a shame
sometimes this will unavoidably happen but with more communication chances are clashes will hapen alot less :)
Sustain

Post by Sustain »

Fents wrote:I personally think International partys should take precidence over Local gigs. If you make a local night and find that after the fact someone is bringing out an international do everything you can to avoid that date. If you cant avoid that date then live with it.
yeah but as eden said the issue runs deeper- afterall, remember that not too long ago we had two high class dnb internattys on the one night and numbers were def effected
Fents

Post by Fents »

Sustain wrote:
Fents wrote:I personally think International partys should take precidence over Local gigs. If you make a local night and find that after the fact someone is bringing out an international do everything you can to avoid that date. If you cant avoid that date then live with it.
yeah but as eden said the issue runs deeper- afterall, remember that not too long ago we had two high class dnb internattys on the one night and numbers were def effected
Yea but again they were two very diff nights.

D Bridge + Moving Fusion

And was it Robyn Kaos and Raiden?

Join Forces - Robyn + Raiden + MF + D Bridge would of been the bees knees.

If Agent Mad and Elementz can do it...anyone can.
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

I'd like to watch Big Brother Daily show and Home and Away too - and they fall at the same time - 7pm weekdays ... I don't cry about it and how it's such a huge dilemma ... I just make a decision and stand by my viewing choice.

:teef:
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

That ol' nut aye....

Survival of the fittest, aka nature's selection process will sort the big boys from the little ones - unless some sort of communication between crews occurs.

Use the promoters forum, that's what it's there for.
Cubist

Post by Cubist »

Fents wrote:In your case Eden with your party being at bunker and with a mix of breaks and DnB i dont think you have anything to worry about, you only need 100 ppl in bunker to rock it.
Yeah true but this isn't my immediate concern. I don't wanna see other parties running a loss either.

As Mr. Lob said if we can all put a little bit more effort into communicating when our parties are going to occur. I.e. placing them in the promoters forum then everyone would benefit from better communication as less clashes. I'm also learning and hope to improve my communication skills with other promoters.

And yes Fents I agree, when Internationals are announced I think Locals should work around these nights. But sometimes (as you know) once dates are confirmed they can't be changed.
deviant

Post by deviant »

it is VERY hard even with good communication....

even just trying to line up venue/performer availabilities is hard let alone also trying to avoid other parties (especially regular ones)..
sweetcheeks

Post by sweetcheeks »

Fents wrote:
Sustain wrote:
Yea but again they were two very diff nights.

D Bridge + Moving Fusion

And was it Robyn Kaos and Raiden?

Join Forces - Robyn + Raiden + MF + D Bridge would of been the bees knees.

If Agent Mad and Elementz can do it...anyone can.
that combo never would have happened Fence. four big name internattys on the same bill? never. the problem with that situation was interstate interests dictating melbourne schedules which is pure bullshit. clashes sometimes can be unavoidable when you consider some promoters will pick up people late and date conflicts cant be avoided but i honestly reckon its down to pure selfishness on the parts of most promoters who wanna do their thing and not worry about what else is cracking
mr lob

Post by mr lob »

not as bad as a worthless government like the one we got!!! bring it on...
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

Lesson One is 99% funk, hip hop and dancehall. I wasn't even going to start a thread, especially because me and Pauly are the only 2 of the bunch who even hang here. Mainly wanted to get the word out to a few who dig these styles that frequent this site. It's been booked for 2 months though. Apologies if this effects any nights, but I doubt it will. Apart from this forum, we've done zero promotion. Croft packs itself out on its own.
8)
Lion

Post by Lion »

I can smell a zebra........

ROOOOAARRRR!!!!!!
The Lion is a mammal of the family Felidae. It is the second largest natural living feline with the exception of the tiger. The male lion, easily recognized by his mane, weighs between 150 and 250 kg. His natural prey are the deer and the zebra
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

mr lob wrote:not as bad as a worthless government like the one we got!!! bring it on...
:roll:
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

DON'T YOU HATE PANTS!!

Man, I hate em!
deviant

Post by deviant »

stop wearing them then :teef:
mr lob

Post by mr lob »

I have stopped wearing em...

sweetcheeks

Post by sweetcheeks »

Citizen Smif wrote:another worthless thread....yay
you should know discussion is never useless. even if it gets personal, its still a way for people to put their opinions out there and a way for people to refine what they think/believe on a subject
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

I also have a party on this date. It is a friends younger sisters 18th which I am required to attend. I wish the promoters could have consulted with me to ensure I could attend. GeeeeeSh.
mr lob

Post by mr lob »

yep yep yep, I agree with the above
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

DBoy wrote:I also have a party on this date. It is a friends younger sisters 18th which I am required to attend. I wish the promoters could have consulted with me to ensure I could attend. GeeeeeSh.
Damn, I was counting on you to be at Croft, D. If ya want, bring some 18 year olds so we can brainwash them...
mr lob

Post by mr lob »

obliveus wrote:
DBoy wrote:I also have a party on this date. It is a friends younger sisters 18th which I am required to attend. I wish the promoters could have consulted with me to ensure I could attend. GeeeeeSh.
Damn, I was counting on you to be at Croft, D. If ya want, bring some 18 year olds so we can brainwash them...
only brainwash them? :twisted: :shock:
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

mr lob wrote:
obliveus wrote:
only brainwash them? :twisted: :shock:
Remember, I'm a married man. But if my wife's down with that...
:wink:
mr lob

Post by mr lob »

what you're married? shit man that blows the whole dj myth out the window, hang on a sec, so am I just don't have the piece of paper, but can feel the weight of that ball and chain...
Schizo!

Post by Schizo! »

"Oh nooo! We have too many parties to go to!"

Be glad we have dedicated people putting on gigs instead of whining about it. Would you rather 5 parties clashing or only having one party a month?
Little did I know, and even less did I care.
mr lob

Post by mr lob »

good point so which one you going to?
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

I think the point is, one every weekend would be better for everyone concerned rather than 5 on one night - and then none for the next few weeks.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

obliveus wrote:
I may just do that.
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

DBoy wrote:
obliveus wrote:
I may just do that.
Then I'll bring the video camera.
:wink:
Will

Post by Will »

Eden, there's only one way to approach this situation: Simply crush the competition beneath your steel-toed jack boots.

If they dare to challenge you, make them regret it.

Think outside the box, Mr Cubist. I suggest fire-bombing their venues while they're setting up. Lock the doors beforehand. Stab their door bitches, and break the fingers of their DJs. Call the police on their dealers.

The only way forward for drum 'n' bass is mafioso-style.

In this case, I reckon you should kidnap Calyx on the way from the airport and make him play at your party at gunpoint.

Survival of the fittest boyo.
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

Will wrote:Eden, there's only one way to approach this situation: Simply crush the competition beneath your steel-toed jack boots.

If they dare to challenge you, make them regret it.

Think outside the box, Mr Cubist. I suggest fire-bombing their venues while they're setting up. Lock the doors beforehand. Stab their door bitches, and break the fingers of their DJs. Call the police on their dealers.

The only way forward for drum 'n' bass is mafioso-style.

In this case, I reckon you should kidnap Calyx on the way from the airport and make him play at your party at gunpoint.

Survival of the fittest boyo.
I can see it now...Broken Leg Assualt System.
:lol:
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

mr lob wrote:good point so which one you going to?
I'm playing midnight at Flip Your Wiggles, dashing over to Hi Fi before 2am for Mr CAAAAA-LYX and then likely dropping in on Eden uninvited, expecting drinks and shit.

Weeeeeee!!!!! :smt026
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
marcus

Post by marcus »

I think promoters should try to avoid clashes, especially in the cases of one off events and regular monthly parties (eg Gimme a Break, Stylus, Beatsworking etc etc.) It's fairly logical to work out when these parties are on, and one of the reasons Stylus is on the 2nd weekend of the month (and always has been bar one occasion, where I don't think we clashed with anyone anyway.)

One off performances are a bit hard. I'm not going to be changing the date of my regular monthly because of a one off party. We have a regular fan base who would expect us to put on a show and we will do that.

In terms of how well your party goes, it's up to how you structure the night (music policy, DJ's etc,) the length you go to to ensure your punters have a good time, and how well you promote your party. It's all about your product in the end.
Stylus Radio :: Every 2nd Sunday :: 6-8pm AEST :: http://www.nsbradio.co.uk
mr lob

Post by mr lob »

The Mixtress wrote:
mr lob wrote:good point so which one you going to?
I'm playing midnight at Flip Your Wiggles, dashing over to Hi Fi before 2am for Mr CAAAAA-LYX and then likely dropping in on Eden uninvited, expecting drinks and shit.

Weeeeeee!!!!! :smt026
now that's a plan! I'm goin to my own party at 8pm to setup and then crawling out of the door at 3am...it's all an old fella can muster the strength for!

all parties sound wicked though, not sure about the kneecapping suggestion above though :?
factory worker

Post by factory worker »

Ha ha. We play metal. With the devil on our side we can't go wrong. Nic esentiment Eden. I've been doing a gig on the 4th Saturday over monthe for well over a year, almost 18 munts. It was supposed to be a secret and then you had to mention Flip Your Wig in this thread.
In all honesty I have expected to be up against an international that I might be tempted to want to see, but luckily Calyx is the first one that has coma laong, and whilst I can't remember the gig too well, I have seen Calyx before.
The best way to cure a broken heart is to give the pieces away
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

factory worker wrote:Ha ha. We play metal. With the devil on our side we can't go wrong. Nic esentiment Eden. I've been doing a gig on the 4th Saturday over monthe for well over a year, almost 18 munts. It was supposed to be a secret and then you had to mention Flip Your Wig in this thread.
In all honesty I have expected to be up against an international that I might be tempted to want to see, but luckily Calyx is the first one that has coma laong, and whilst I can't remember the gig too well, I have seen Calyx before.

bahahaha that's right you did see Caylx! in fact i had to cool off some dudes that you slightly upset in your munted, you fuckers are in my way, moment :lol: ahhh shit that was funny as, Keith and i couldn't stop laughing for ages.

Woohoo Calyx :D and Woohoo Factory Workers state at Calyx :P :lol:
B0mBjAcK

Calyx or STFU!

Post by B0mBjAcK »

Fuck polotics in music. Just be greatful that you have a great choice of parties to go to. Or would you rather one party a night/week/month?
That's so plausible I can't believe it!
XVi32 - It's a blog
Kulture - Melbourne Jungle/D&B blog
Melbourne D&B - Melbourne D&B Forum
ShiKung

Post by ShiKung »

Everytime I have been confronted with this scenario my philosophy is make people go to as many of the gigs as possible!!

Big up the Scene. If i genuinely know that the person I'm talking to would absolutely love the party on somewhere else more, I tell them! Then I also arrange for them to be on a late/early list so they can still come down to my party even if it is for free or for cheap. Get as many peps as possible to head out of their doors on that night! They be hyped with the knowledge that Melbourne is bringing down an awesome night of top quality music and that anything crazy could happen.

People get excited, bump into old mates spread the hype and bounce around the venues. So often I've had nights saved at 5am!! (ah republika)

For a potential example... me and OB might be chilling at Croft thinking how dope we both are having just funkedified our little corner of Melbs and thinking we should share this dopeness with the world, so we grab 2 bar staff and bail over to Local Lineup @ Bunker.

There we spread our dopeness with my man Livewire and the one like Cubist, who are likewise feelin a similar dope vibe from a similar quality night and together the whole crew cruises down to the Hifi to catch the tail end of the night.

Where I run into to Holly and discuss the afterparty... etc.

OK its a dream you get my drift.

If however everyone is negatory on the other gig vibe, peps head to one venue thats half full, think it sucks, and go home early. Wah!

I would rather have in one night in Melbourne 30 awesome gigs full of quality DJs and Live bands, then 1 gig and everywhere else there is a whole bunch of commercial rubbish with unworthy fools earning money for nothing.

I'll will make the effort for this one Cubist, I'll bust out the trolley and come down after the Croft it would be good to catch up again!

I'm keen to join this Promoters thread thou I wasnt aware one existed, can someone PM me some info on what its for.
Carlz

Re: Calyx or STFU!

Post by Carlz »

B0mBjAcK wrote:Fuck polotics in music. Just be greatful that you have a great choice of parties to go to. Or would you rather one party a night/week/month?
true dat
alcohol may not be the answer.. but at least I can't remember the question!
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Carlz, Bombjack - parties cannot sustain themselves in this fashion, there's simply not enough punters to go around at the moment.

I think Cubist's point is for the betterment of local parties and inevitably the local scene.

Clubs won't book d'n'b nights/promoters for nights if it's not worth their while (ie. door/bar money).

Having said this, there's always going to be clashes of some sort unfortunately.
Last edited by Direkt on Wed May 24, 2006 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.