Its all about the nexos..

Tips, hints, help, tech support, setups, systems and all things related to making phat beats. Post your latest production for all to hear & review. Or quiz the resident nerds about that tech problem you just can't figure out.
Blueprint

Its all about the nexos..

Post by Blueprint »

Was at the Brunswick East pub last night watching a band, and the sound was incredible - clarity, range - so crisp, friends I were with also commented straight away. I assumed that it would have to be Nexos and it was. Same story for 33 1/3 front room and Hifi. They should be everywhere :)

Is there any one thing they do that makes them that much better than the rest, or is it simply the sum of a lot of very good parts and R&D?
LuKo

Post by LuKo »

Mercat has Nexos too - lots of fun to play on :)

dont know why there is such a gap.

I'm sure the cost difference reflects teh difference in sound, surely, the old "you get what you pay for still stands pretty strong"
unsoundbwoy

Post by unsoundbwoy »

well, dem expensive but so so good. the acoustic weaponry rig that was at evol intent is the shit
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

I've always been a MASSIVE fan of the Nexo's.... love 'em!
strategem

Post by strategem »

Nexo has a couple of advantages over most sound systems. The first one is it is designed as a complete system from the ground up. Every single component is designed SPECIFICALLY to work with the other Nexo components. More and more companies are doing this now though. Secondly they use top shelf materials, no skimping (which is reflected in the price believe me). thirdly (and I think this is the most important one) the alpha and the geo systems split more ways than conventional systems. a conventional system has three types of cones. low, mid and high. the Nexo Alpha E for example has the S2 (sub bass), the B1 (low and low-mid) and the EM (mid high and high). = 5 way system instead of four. of course you often dont even use the S2's. I didnt use them for the Evol Intent gig as they would have been too much for that room. When all is said and done Nexo is a very good system, but by no means is it the best. Give me KV2 or Meyer Sound Labs any day.
Last edited by strategem on Mon May 29, 2006 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.acousticweaponry.com
- vinyl pressing
- audio equipment
- production management
- pyrotechnics
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

now KV2 - that really tickles my fancy.. again a complete ground up system but there are some nice aspects about the architecture, such as the way amps can be housed and accessed...

I went to a line array and phase theory session hosted by meyer and checked out some of thier line up - have to agree that is top ranking gear also...
strategem

Post by strategem »

Meyer is the top of the food chain. no question. the guy practically invented ever major forward step we have ever seen in audio technology, John Meyer is AMAZING.
www.acousticweaponry.com
- vinyl pressing
- audio equipment
- production management
- pyrotechnics
Shadowgames

Post by Shadowgames »

strategem wrote:Meyer is the top of the food chain. no question. the guy practically invented ever major forward step we have ever seen in audio technology, John Meyer is AMAZING.
:scr1pt: the Meyer rig a Hamer Hall is great to work with <3
Blueprint

Post by Blueprint »

Thanks for the heads up strategem.. makes sense.. I'm sure there's better sounding systems out there, love to hear the meyer rig.. I guess it's get what you pay for, but I think it's great that local pubs are now spending the money to get the quality of nexos in.. :)
strategem

Post by strategem »

true that bluepint. A lot of places are opting for the LE and LS systems by Nexo, which are a smaller system designed for installing in such venues. they benifit from the total architecture and from the build quality but they mis out on the 5 way split.
I think we will soon be seeing some venues opting for the in wall and in ceiling stuff currently on offer from EAW. Some sample recently made their way to the Pink Noise warehouse and they are fucking awesome sound the other bonus of the in ceiling speakers is they are barely there once you go off axis. So you can have the dancefloor rocking with the audio coming straight down on you but can talk comfortably when you walk the 2 meters to the bar. It also means there is far less spill into the general surroundings (= less noise complaints). Others have offered similar systems before but I dont think they have gotten it right the way EAW have.
The other thing is that now that Meyer have released their 'speaker spotlight' range (actually it was last year but whatever) that are being used for vocal playback and mood music in places where it has to be zero sound off axis I think we can expect them to start developing a slightly larger and more gig friendly version.
www.acousticweaponry.com
- vinyl pressing
- audio equipment
- production management
- pyrotechnics
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Funktion 1 vs. Nexo?

Comments?
Don't hate me for house
Fents

Post by Fents »

Fuktion 1 all the way as long as you have someone who knows how to tame it properly. No one in melb can do this imo.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Fents wrote:Fuktion 1 all the way as long as you have someone who knows how to tame it properly. No one in melb can do this imo.
What about the guy who rents them out? (whats his name again?)

He used to do a pretty decent job when I worked with him about 2 years ago.
Don't hate me for house
Fents

Post by Fents »

Simon Ishtaar?

Yea he was ok, but just opion you would need to go and do like a 3 month course or some shit to sort em out.
factory worker

Post by factory worker »

Fents wrote:Fuktion 1 all the way as long as you have someone who knows how to tame it properly. No one in melb can do this imo.
so how did you come to rate the so well, if no one can tame them properly - Tiki from Salmonella Dub???
The best way to cure a broken heart is to give the pieces away
Fents

Post by Fents »

Nope just the potential they have.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

jbs wrote:Funktion 1 vs. Nexo?

Comments?
NEXO
strategem

Post by strategem »

difficult call. no really. It would depend on the situation in my eyes. I have to say though that I have heard Simon's system sound AWESOME, mind bogglingly good. but for some reason it does seem to be a hard system to get right and when it is not spot on it sounds not so great. If both were set up in their ideal location and were being utilisted to their optimal performance I would probably say funktion one. However in everyday life, in the real world and in a touring or hiring out situation I would say NEXO. Dont get me wrong, I am not saying I dont think Simon does a good job with his system because he does, he is a good tech with a great system. I just think the NEXO is more user friendly, better suited to perform those functions.

for the audio philes- I am getting my grubby little mitts on a new BOSE system soon. I am thinking about setting it up in a park on a nice(ish) day and giving it a run. for those that want to come check it out I will be putting up a post of time and place.
www.acousticweaponry.com
- vinyl pressing
- audio equipment
- production management
- pyrotechnics
Luka

Post by Luka »

This is what i heard and it made sense
(although this is not my opinion as ive gotten in trouble for this shit b4 and i want to stay politically nuetral this time hehe)

nexo used quality drivers but the genius is in the cabinet design. they have been built by some major engineers and ported all the air out for maximum clairty and punch

funktion 1 use dirtier drivers but port the bulk of the sound out the rear of the case which limites their range but allows the sound to stay crisp.

i think simon does a great job with his rig and the nexos are also hot. then it comes down to price
problem child
messycreations
strategem

Post by strategem »

I honestly dont know the funktion 1 system well enough to comment on that, nor on any price discrepancies.
The other thing I dont really like about the funktion 1 is the look of them. They look very....'spacecraft', kinda like something you would see in an 80's sci fi movie. a bad one. whilst this may well go over just fine at raves and stuff, if i spend that much on a system it should be able to fit in with whatever i want to do with it. Nexo you can roll into a DnB gig just as comfortably as a punk night or a Latvian Flugelhorn Polka festival.
Whilst some people may say "it should be entirely about the sound", I reply with "aesthetics matter when the person paying you thinks they do and you got rent to pay".
www.acousticweaponry.com
- vinyl pressing
- audio equipment
- production management
- pyrotechnics