Ads on Melbourne Beats

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
lucas
emission reductionist

Ads on Melbourne Beats

Post by lucas »

So anyway.

As you are already well aware, we outgrew the capacity of our old server and have just upgraded to a new one. Unfortunately this has been coupled with an 'upgrade' in hardware and data center expenses.

I would like to thank those of you that so enthusiastically contacted me with regards to fund raising for the server move and ongoing operation of the site. It warms my heart that people would go to such lengths to make this thing sustainable.

But for now we will be sticking with our original policy of gracefully declining any and all donations from our members. More about this below.

In the mean time, we are going to trial ads. Some quick points about this.

1. This is only a trial, with google text ads, which will be really unintrusive.
2. This is happening only under really (really) strict terms. The site -will- remain clean and fast.
3. No flash or animating banners. Ugly!
4. For now you'll see a text ad at the bottom of the page, and that's the extent of it.
5. Again, we're just giving this a go. If it sucks, we'll try something else.
6. I hate the idea as much as you probably do. But it's still worth investigating.

I hope you all understand why this is happening. Of course, as always, your feedback is most welcomed. :)

I have taken the liberty of formulating a quick FAQ.

You're turning this place into ITM. Are you crazy?
We will be sticking with our original plan which went something like this (paraphrasing), any advertising we do will be unintrusive. No massively crazy animating spinning rotating flash banners scrolling across your screen. We promise.

I don't like ads, why won't you accept donations instead?
Well, there are a number of bad scenarios we would like to avoid. Ranging from minor things like hardware failure resulting in the site going offline for a day or so (somewhat-likely). To major things like a melbournejungle-esque-dash-with-your-cash (unlikely) or me getting hit by a bus (not-so-unlikely). Those of you that know about my strange choice of transportation will understand that last bit.

In a nutshell, if people donate money but don't get a reliable web site in return then they will be understandably angry. And I really don't like it when people are angry with me. I get enough of that from 4WD drivers on the way to work in the morning.

But wasn't the whole idea of Melbourne Beats to be ad-free?
Actually no, this is not correct. The catalyst for starting Melbourne Beats was the inability of promoters to effectively promote their parties on other sites. The "ad-free" thing was just a nice side-effect of setting up our own site and something that we really liked to brag about. Clearly we won't be bragging about this any more. If you read my first ever post here you will see my assertion that advertising would only happen here under very strict terms.

I'm a promoter. Can I put ads on your site too?
No, for now we'll just be sticking with google text ads. They are easy to set up and they're not an eye-sore. This might change soon.
Last edited by lucas on Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted." - Martin Luther King Jr.
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

adsense owns.

looks like your getting a pretty varied range of keywords too.

i think its a good idea. i know how much hosting can cost.

big ups.

*clicks*
one more medicated peacefull moment
www.dubstep.com.au
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

Big Ups LC !! :D

Anything that keeps this place open for business is all good.

The ads are small and don't slow things down, so who gives ??

Hope they do the trick man ..

*rightclick*
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

My God... I've been looking for a "powerful hypnisos CD" that has "amazing results in one session" and it would make a "great gift" too.

I like it!

:teef:
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

If it keeps shit running then it's aaaaaall good!
calstro

Post by calstro »

Hardy wrote:If it keeps shit running then it's aaaaaall good!
:scr1pt:

Who really cares about a couple of ads anyway? They're everywhere else!
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Yeah, all good in my hood LC!

Keep up the good work my brother....
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

They gone now..
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

i think it's cool - the ads are pretty much as non intrusive as they could be without being invisible!
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

ADD_Boy wrote:They gone now..
QUIET!
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

:(
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

:smt056

I'm sorry :D
esef

Post by esef »

btw Admins, sign up for this too : http://www.google.com/analytics/
factory worker

Post by factory worker »

So if we put up with adds can we voice out true opinionions with out being chastised or risk getting a thread locked.

It's not only my observation but this site has become less interesting and even more so less about the broken beat and more about the day to day dumbshit I can hear at work in a stupid corporate office. Seriously if all Melbourne DJ's can afford Kripsy Kreme like one thread insuates then I want cheaper gig entry you fuckers.

No disrespect intended but I find most of the threads on this site to be increasingly boring and there seems to be less real opinions expressed.
For example how do people feels about certain promoters, (not Keir) throwingf a party called Plus One and refusing to supply double tickets for reviewers. Good way to get dumb reviews, ie "The venue was pretty packed but no one was really friebdly so I sat in ther corner by myself where the sound was shit and had a pretty crap time before going home to see my girlfriends.
The best way to cure a broken heart is to give the pieces away
lucas
emission reductionist

Post by lucas »

factory worker wrote:So if we put up with adds can we voice out true opinionions with out being chastised or risk getting a thread locked.
The two are not related.

Trying to recoup some costs (via advertising) does not somehow correlate into us allowing flame-bait, abusive posts and attacks on other members. So our policy with regards to that remains unchanged.
"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted." - Martin Luther King Jr.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

factory worker wrote:It's not only my observation but this site has become less interesting and even more so less about the broken beat and more about the day to day dumbshit I can hear at work in a stupid corporate office.

Guilty as charged. I can't think of any relevant broken beat/scene related/ subjects to start.
No disrespect intended but I find most of the threads on this site to be increasingly boring and there seems to be less real opinions expressed.
For example how do people feels about certain promoters, (not Keir) throwingf a party called Plus One and refusing to supply double tickets for reviewers. Good way to get dumb reviews, ie "The venue was pretty packed but no one was really friebdly so I sat in ther corner by myself where the sound was shit and had a pretty crap time before going home to see my girlfriends.
Why not start a thread about something along those lines then?
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

factory worker wrote: how do people feels about certain promoters, (not Keir) throwingf a party called Plus One and refusing to supply double tickets for reviewers.

I can't tell if you're being serious or not?
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
factory worker

Post by factory worker »

breaksRbest wrote:
factory worker wrote: how do people feels about certain promoters, (not Keir) throwingf a party called Plus One and refusing to supply double tickets for reviewers.

I should of put a question mark in there to reinforce it was a question not a statement. Does it really matter if it was serious or not? It was an example of the sort of discussion that a beats orientated forum could reasonably expect to have.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

factory worker wrote:So if we put up with adds can we voice out true opinionions with out being chastised or risk getting a thread locked.

It's not only my observation but this site has become less interesting and even more so less about the broken beat and more about the day to day dumbshit I can hear at work in a stupid corporate office. Seriously if all Melbourne DJ's can afford Kripsy Kreme like one thread insuates then I want cheaper gig entry you fuckers.

Are you for real? Instead of bitching about it, how about being pro-active (as others have said) and doing something about it.

Start your own threads.

I agree with you that it's getting a lil' boring and stagnant on here at times, but who's fault is that exactly? Certainly not Lucas' or admins fault. It's our collective fault at the end of the day.

Now what this all has to do with ad's on the site is beyond me...
factory worker

Post by factory worker »

Direktor wrote:
factory worker wrote:

quote]

Are you for real? Instead of bitching about it, how about being pro-active (as others have said) and doing something about it.

Start your own threads.

I agree with you that it's getting a lil' boring and stagnant on here at times, but who's fault is that exactly? Certainly not Lucas' or admins fault. It's our collective fault at the end of the day.

Now what this all has to do with ad's on the site is beyond me...
I am doing something about it. I feel there may be a connection between the increase in traffic on this site and the need to have adds.
I do start threads which is being pro-active. Don't take offense and call my comments bitching - that's half the problem when forums can't be conducive to active discussion.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Sorry mate - didn't mean to offend you, honestly.

I think the need for ad's is just coz Lucas et. al. don't wanna ask people for handouts (for reasons already outlined above).
Friday

Post by Friday »

breaksRbest wrote:

this is the most ridiculous thing i have heard in a long time.

writing a review for an event is a JOB and not an excuse to get a free ride for you and a mate to party. treat it professionally or don't do it at all. all of the pro writers such as cyclone for herald sun or andy drever for the age don't even ask for this.

you are meant to be writing about the performance of the acts and the pro and cons of how the party was put together - if you can't do this without a drinking buddy you should re-think your ability to do it at all.

:?
killeye

Post by killeye »

factory worker wrote:For example how do people feels about certain promoters, (not Keir) throwingf a party called Plus One and refusing to supply double tickets for reviewers. Good way to get dumb reviews, ie "The venue was pretty packed but no one was really friebdly so I sat in ther corner by myself where the sound was shit and had a pretty crap time before going home to see my girlfriends.
As someone that has been reviewing gigs for nearly four years I find that remark quite offensive. I have lost count of the times that I have gone to parties, paid full entry and still written reviews of the night, does that make my reviews 'dumb'?
criticism where it's due.
"That's my desire, keep pushing, keep striving"

killeye myspace
factory worker

Post by factory worker »

Friday wrote:
breaksRbest wrote:

writing a review for an event is a JOB and not an excuse to get a free ride for you and a mate to party. treat it professionally or don't do it at all. all of the pro writers such as cyclone for herald sun or andy drever for the age don't even ask for this.

you are meant to be writing about the performance of the acts and the pro and cons of how the party was put together - if you can't do this without a drinking buddy you should re-think your ability to do it at all.

actually writing is a passion - much like DJ'ing or producing music.
professional means getting paid. do your afore mentioned reviewers get paid?
and I disagree about the buddy thing, one of the biggest factors involved in a gig is vibe. why should a reviewer go to show by themselves. do you go to shows by yourself? and drinking buddy is a very speculative comment which has nothing to do with my ability.

what is a plus one all about? is it an unprofessional thing that inexperienced promoters get sucked in to by free riders.

the comment you have quoted should be noted for the record as not aimed at all at the collective of promoters putting on plus one.
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

omg i just saw a 468x60 banner through ad sense. For shame ;)
killeye

Post by killeye »

factory worker wrote:
Friday wrote:
breaksRbest wrote:

actually writing is a passion - much like DJ'ing or producing music.
professional means getting paid. do your afore mentioned reviewers get paid?
and I disagree about the buddy thing, one of the biggest factors involved in a gig is vibe. why should a reviewer go to show by themselves. do you go to shows by yourself? and drinking buddy is a very speculative comment which has nothing to do with my ability.
'Payment' is entry to the gig. And people do get paid for their passions-be that writing or producing music!

I go to parties by myself all the time and it does not have any impact on the 'vibe.' The vibe comes from the performers and the overall feel within the venue.
"That's my desire, keep pushing, keep striving"

killeye myspace
factory worker

Post by factory worker »

I have started a new thread as this was really out of place - hijacking the adds announcement.

My response is loacted at http://melbournebeats.com/forum/viewtop ... 950#256950
tripongale

Post by tripongale »

ads are always a balance thing, if you could control them totally then they could also entertain
Will

Post by Will »

Since when have Google ads been proper image-filled banners?

At least they're still nice and small.
OhSoBec

Post by OhSoBec »

I hadn't even noticed they existed till I read this thread.
Mellogs

Post by Mellogs »

bahahhaa! wtf is 'camel space!'??
...and basically that's the situation
deviant

Post by deviant »

Will wrote:Since when have Google ads been proper image-filled banners?

At least they're still nice and small.
yeah I noticed that too....

I've got a query/beef....

Why when you click on the ads do they take over your mb.c browser window? Every other external link opens a new window. It's not like I can't right-click and choose "open in new window" but I don't click them very often so when I do I'm kida expecting a new window.... Small thing I know, but surely easy to fix.
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

google adsense has done display media for the past 12 months or more.

i think the opening of a new window is code embedded in the click tag of the ad - not sure if lucas/mb could amend that.
lucas
emission reductionist

Post by lucas »

shepherd wrote:i think the opening of a new window is code embedded in the click tag of the ad - not sure if lucas/mb could amend that.
This is correct.

Beyond my control I'm afraid. Sorry. :(
deviant

Post by deviant »

ghey....

Oh well, ctrl-click it is then :)
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

use firefox and middle (wheel) click)
www.dubstep.com.au
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

Work. only IE
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

ie7
www.dubstep.com.au
deviant

Post by deviant »

FoundationStepper wrote:Work. only IE

same, but then again I probably should be doing work anyways :oops:
deviant

Re: Ads on Melbourne Beats

Post by deviant »

lucas wrote:3. No flash or animating banners. Ugly!
why has this changed?

edit: not having a whinge, just curious. I've noticed some pretty intense and long flash animated banners of late.
almax

Post by almax »

deviant wrote:
lucas wrote:3. No flash or animating banners. Ugly!
why has this changed?

edit: not having a whinge, just curious. I've noticed some pretty intense and long flash animated banners of late.
please post this on the whinge thread thx

:teef:
deviant

Post by deviant »

because (as stated) it wasn't a whinge....
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

lucas wrote:
shepherd wrote:i think the opening of a new window is code embedded in the click tag of the ad - not sure if lucas/mb could amend that.
This is correct.

Beyond my control I'm afraid. Sorry. :(
Strictly speaking, there are access methods in the DOM for those objects to control their behaviour. (i.e. spawning a new window or not.)

That said, it'd be a pain to maintain. I find the advertising to be very non-obtrusive on MB.
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

system wrote: I find the advertising to be very non-obtrusive on MB.

I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
ShiKung

Post by ShiKung »

breaksRbest wrote:

deviant

Post by deviant »

I think they are fine.

just wondering why the change from text only to full flash ads. are they more lucritive?
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

deviant wrote:just wondering why the change from text only to full flash ads. are they more lucritive?
You can do more with them. Reading Google's technical requirements for the ads, it looks like increased competition with some of the bigger 'rich media' advertising providers is the goal.

That tech note also highlights how to push clickthroughs to new windows. ;)
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
Friday

Post by Friday »

ShiKung wrote:
breaksRbest wrote:

deviant

Post by deviant »

are these coming back?

just curious
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

in my experience adsense on forums is pretty much useless!

25k impressions - 3 clicks lol.

would be better for a niche forum i guess but dubstep fans dont click ads lolol

id say sash would say nooo.
deviant wrote:are these coming back?

just curious
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums