What was the tune that got you into the broken beat?

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
obliveus

What was the tune that got you into the broken beat?

Post by obliveus »

Just becuase I love questions like this and I didn't spot another thread that asked this question. Also, I'm still amped from the Nubreed/Tipper gig (too much cola).

But what was the tune that got you into the broken beat? Could be tunes, as in a whole album or just the one that sent you off the deep end.

Mine was "Boom Box" by Bitin' Back. Ol' skool Mickey Finn classic circa 1991. A close friend of mine played it for me one morning after a big night and it blew my mind. It's got the Eric B & Rakim sample, "Dance with the speaker til you hear it blow". Took me 3 years but I finally scored a copy off Ebay last year. Only $40, too. It's a crap pressing, but I love it anyways. It's cool hearing Mickey writing breaks tracks.

Just wanted to throw that out there. If you got one, tell me about it. I'm interested to see how we all got here.
Amick

Post by Amick »

Freq Nasty playing the breaks remix of Kelis-Milkshake at 33 1/3 last night. :D

Nah...I hate breaks. :twisted:
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

Amick wrote:Nah...I hate breaks. :twisted:
Interesting...
:smt019
SHIFTY

Post by SHIFTY »

it would have been freq nastys y4k mix i was a hard house kid then all of a sudden their was this type of music that blew it outta the water then i met evil and it was all down hill from there :smt033
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

Funny. Most stories I hear of Evil end up ending with "down hill" soon after.
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

Wasnt a particular track, but heard i think it was Sight Not Scene, EK and Phil K LP on JJJ mix up. I was listening to the likes of Northern Exposure Sasha and Digweed and a bit of Tekno at the time, but when I heard some of those tracks I couldnt beleive how much I was loving it.

So madly went out to find the cd, had to order it (which I still havnt got yet - even though I ordered the cd about 3 years ago from Sanity and have yet to pick it up! :smt012 ) ended with Dooms Night and fell in love. :smt020 :smt007 :smt007

Always loved music, all kinds of it, but nothing did wat this shit did.

Good thread.
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

Lil MiSbreaks wrote:Wasnt a particular track, but heard i think it was Sight Not Scene, EK and Phil K LP on JJJ mix up. I was listening to the likes of Northern Exposure Sasha and Digweed and a bit of Tekno at the time, but when I heard some of those tracks I couldnt beleive how much I was loving it.

So madly went out to find the cd, had to order it (which I still havnt got yet - even though I ordered the cd about 3 years ago from Sanity and have yet to pick it up! :smt012 ) ended with Dooms Night and fell in love. :smt020 :smt007 :smt007

Always loved music, all kinds of it, but nothing did wat this shit did.

Good thread.
I totally remember that Mix Up. That was soon after I moved here from the states. I knew who Phil K was, but had never heard EK before. All I thought was, "These guys are doing stuff nobody back home is doing". I interviewed Eddy (EK) soon after for Breaksworld. He was so down to earth (still is) and such a positive person.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

probably around 96 or 97 when i first heard SL2- On a Ragga Tip, made we want to remove beats from all my other favourite tracks at the time.
cammo

Post by cammo »

first heard nwa and pe in the late 80s. dope breaks
then puryvers and that big beat thing mid 90s made me hate breaks
havent looked back sinced
only style of breaks im feeling is grime cause it sounds better than two step and the breaks are more spced out and ghetto compared to the new skool breaks revolution as guyno would say
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

hmm- if we are including hip hop we would all probably attribute it to some 80's track.
lynt

Post by lynt »

michael jackson - pyt
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

lynt wrote:michael jackson - pyt
You go, boyeee. I have a whole new respect for you now.
lynt

Post by lynt »

:shock:
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Bunker Buster for SURE!!! :smt023
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

The Mixtress wrote:Bunker Buster for SURE!!! :smt023
Now we're gettin busy!!!
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

It was a Krafty Kuts remix of Africa Bambatta's tune Funky heroes.

Quality tune

I need to get some more sleep - my body hurts
sneaky hands

Post by sneaky hands »

herbie hancock - "rockit"
sneaky flow like cash flow
on the first of the month
for broke cats that's thirst for the blunt
Little Evil

Post by Little Evil »

James Brown and the Beatles when I was a kid. Always listened to the beats, and loved the drumming. Ringo knocked out a few wicked beats back in the day, believe it or not.
Never knew it was called 'breakbeat' back then, but always subconsciously loved that broken/cut up beat.

Propellerheads, later on.
Decks drums and rock & roll is an epic breaks album. One of my faves. Changed my life.
Crystal method, Vegas. Quite possibly the most innovative dance/bigbeat/breaks albums ever made, and 'keep hope alive' is possibly the greatest breaks track I've ever heard, to this day.
Went from there to 'Dope on Plastic 8' with Kitachi, Terminalhead, etc.

Got sick of the 'entry level' breaks pretty quick, and moved on to the hard stuff. Never looked back.
:D
great_magnet
crazy diamond

Post by great_magnet »

If we're talking pure breakbeat it was probably hearing Lady Erica drop the vocal mix of 138 Trek by DJ Zinc at her weekly garage night at Double O circa early 2001.

Got me intrigued with the sound and then discovered Stanton Sessions and the rest is history....

If we're talking beats in general, it was all about hip hop in the 80's - Beasties, PE, Run DMC etc
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
This ain't no foolin' around
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

hip hop late 80's/early 90's

dope on plastic - mid 90's - especially the one with the chemical brothers remix of Primal Scream. Heaving.
great_magnet
crazy diamond

Post by great_magnet »

Actually on reflection it was probably "Fuck Up Beats" by Chemical Brothers that really got me into all things broken...
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Propellerheads first joint for me.

In the strict breaks sense; B-Boy Stance by Freestylers courtesy of Mr. Obliveus back in the Auburn Massive days... :lol:
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

Gots to love mr OB - the man lives to give!
Zerotonine

Post by Zerotonine »

Hmmmm...ditto for me on the Crystal Method/Propellerheads tip. Loved that stuff when it first came out, and Vegas and Decksdrumsandrockandroll are such great albums. I also liked a lot of 80's electro, which was basically early hip-hop :). Another one would be Apollo Four Forty's Electro Glide In Blue, a mixture of breakbeat and D&B that positively changed my life along with the above examples!
Allons-y!
Penno

Post by Penno »

Artful Dodger - Re-rewind

No seriously....
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
quick

Post by quick »

Wonderful Days - Charlie Lownoise & Mental Theo

4am - Orca
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

quick wrote:- Charlie Lownoise & Mental Theo
altough i dont remember tracks specifically i do remember the names, headbanging shit right?
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

cant remember to save myself.
quick

Post by quick »

DBoy wrote:
quick wrote:- Charlie Lownoise & Mental Theo
altough i dont remember tracks specifically i do remember the names, headbanging shit right?
Happy Breakbeat... :lol:

Basically Happy Hardcore with some jungle style beats in it, wikkid tune though.
mirai

Post by mirai »

[quote="quick"]Wonderful Days - Charlie Lownoise & Mental Theo

Ha that brings back some memories :lol: but would have to be Sleepwalk the album from Matrix that really got me into DnB, then coming over from NZ and seeing him at Tekstep 16, awesome, no looking back since then
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

if the Chemical Brothers count, then Exit Planet Dust (every track)

otherwise It'd have to be the Botchit Breaks series, Stanton Sessions & Physics of Freestyle

I can't remember when these came out or when I got into Breaks :smt017

special mention to Propellerheads too 8)

actually, come to think of it, it was probably when I saw Crystal Method at Redheads

aahhh feck it, I dunno[/i]
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Amick wrote:Freq Nasty playing the breaks remix of Kelis-Milkshake at 33 1/3 last night. :D

You hate breaks?

What the fuck do you think DnB is made from?
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

Ya'll are making go back through the crates to find stuff. Many thnaks for that. A different perspective is always good for new sounds.
Zerotonine

Post by Zerotonine »

breaksRbest wrote: actually, come to think of it, it was probably when I saw Crystal Method at Redheads
[/i]
Off topic for a sec :
Hehe...Redhead...those were the days down at albert park when Midori Illusion Shakers and foam parties were the order of the day. $1 pots, $2.50 basic spirits before midnight! And the $3 subzeros... Lipstick on Thursday nights. I think they ended up merging with Saratoga and basically formed Seven. Can't believe I was a promoter for those guys before the place went tits up...never been involved with a club since though.

Back on topic :
Kosheen's album Resist opened my eyes to a lot of quality D&B, of the more melodic liquid style anyway, even though there are a couple of tougher tracks...still melodic. Some nice downtempo, 2-step, and breakbeat as well. Great vocals throughout the whole album too, pure magic.
Allons-y!
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

Yeah, that Kosheen album blew my mind the first time I heard it. Still does?

What happened to them? I gave their last album a listen at the store and it didn't do much for me. The mighty can fall so quickly nowadays.
Zerotonine

Post by Zerotonine »

Re : Kosheen's album Kokopelli. Yeah, I agree, not as breakthrough as their first album but still good in it's own right. It was purposefully meant to be a bit more of an organic sounding album, more rock influenced, as the two guys actually picked up a few real instruments again after quite a hiatus. But you're right, didn't blow my mind like Resist. Hopefully their next effort will be a tad better, and hopefully supported by a tour. They were brill at Big Day Out, be nice to see 'em again :).
Allons-y!
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

decoder is a badman.

wish he was still making wicked dnb.
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

kosheen went from one of the most hyped acts around to absolute rubbish in such a short time ... their room show was terrible.
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

Ag3nT[]0raNg3 wrote:decoder is a badman.

wish he was still making wicked dnb.
Yeah, that tripped me out when a mate wisened me up to the fact that this guy was a d'n'b producer before they got all popular. It certainly made aspects of their album much clearer to me. Awesome, nonetheless!
if the Chemical Brothers count, then Exit Planet Dust (every track)
Ohhhhhh, how much do I love this album?

True story.

A very close friend of mine was moving back to the states, but before she did she decided to go out and buy some music that sounded like the stuff we were playing at Beats Working (still are). I played a Chemical Brothers track once and she loved it, so she went to a record store and bought Exit Planet Dust on double vinyl. She then gave it to me out of the blue on the condition that I would make a mix CD for her of the entire album. So I threw together a mix of every track on Exit Planet Dust, plus all the various 12's I had of their other songs. Still one of my favorite CD's to listen to and hers. I still never leave the house without the double vinyl, such a classic!
SoulWhiteMan

Post by SoulWhiteMan »

Getting over the whole hardhouse and hardtrance shite in 2002 I hang around the Fractured stage at the end of two tribes......

then I asked my cousin for an education in breakbeat and she gives me this CD with all kinds of MP3 sets (which lynt now has, and I forgot to ask for back today.....)

on it was Future Funk Squads Kiss 100 mix....

C83 - Neptune - Kraymon remix... was the first track to start the mix..... (and the first track I purchased on vinyl.......)

had just what I was looking for, flow, great bassline, well produced...... and I thought "FUCKEN OATH"

then the rest of the mix blew me away and I was hooked ever since....

seeing Adam Freeland and Meat Katie only a month later is what sealed the deal and I then got me some decks
SoulWhiteMan

Post by SoulWhiteMan »

Hardy wrote:
Amick wrote:Freq Nasty playing the breaks remix of Kelis-Milkshake at 33 1/3 last night. :D

You hate breaks?

yeah, we all know breaks started from DnB dj's accidently playing their records at 33 :lol:
sneaky hands

Post by sneaky hands »

kosheen was all set to do a dnb second album..they were about to go on tour. then they had a commercial hit and realised they liked knowing where their next meal was coming from, and started making trash.
apparently it was literally an overnight change.
lynt

Post by lynt »

Hardy wrote:

You hate breaks?

hug me Hardy :P
quick

Post by quick »

lynt wrote:
Hardy wrote:

You hate breaks?

hug me Hardy :P
Wow, its that easy... :wink:
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

hardy will hug anyone tho. even if you dont ask him too.
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

SoulWhiteMan wrote:C83 - Neptune - Kraymon remix... was the first track to start the mix..... (and the first track I purchased on vinyl.......)
I remember Scotrod playing me Kraymon's "Mars Needs Women" back when I though Finger Lickin was the only label making breaks tracks. Absolutely schooled me. Getting to play with Kraymon has been one of my highlights in terms of DJ'ing. He's amazing.
sneaky hands

Post by sneaky hands »

another couple of old classics - cybotron "clear" and model500 - "night drive"
also orbital "the box"
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

sneaky hands wrote:another couple of old classics - cybotron "clear" and model500 - "night drive"
also orbital "the box"
Now we're gettin' nastee!
great_magnet
crazy diamond

Post by great_magnet »

How about "20 Seconds To Comply" by Silver Bullet?

Fucking love this tune!!
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

great_magnet wrote:How about "20 Seconds To Comply" by Silver Bullet?

Fucking love this tune!!
Haven't heard this yet, but sounds interesting. Please explain.