Mixers: DJM600 v DNX1500 v SHMZ1200 v ???

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
downtime

Mixers: DJM600 v DNX1500 v SHMZ1200 v ???

Post by downtime »

Okay tech headz, mixers:

Pioneer DJM600
v
Denon DNX1500
v
Technics SHMZ1200
v
??? what else is better ???

Which is the best, and why?
(please don't say Xone of STFU unless you're gonna give me the extra grand... hehe)
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Numark 500FX :P
downtime

Post by downtime »

haha, numark got me a long way, but its time to move on...
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

first - how many channels do you really need?

do you need on board shitty fx?

does quality gain structure matter to you?

does the cut of frequencies of eq's matter to you? (full cut shelving or parametric)
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Haven't used them all mate.

But Pioneers are generally standard in clubs - PRO

They usually have a poor sound quality - CON
FoundationStepper

pioneers sound shit and have wierd gain structure. the trim pots dont do what they should and the eq for bass sucks out the mids badly.

edit - ok maybe not sound shit but for what you pay... not good in the audio quality department.
downtime

Post by downtime »

FoundationStepper wrote:first - how many channels do you really need?
Well, probably only two, but thinking of 4 in case i get cdjs, or become really, really good.
FoundationStepper wrote:do you need on board shitty fx?
Very good question: I've never had fx on a mixer - therefore never used them, and to be honest i can't remember the pros using them out much. So i'm thinking it's not essential. Do many people use them (for dnb, that is)?
FoundationStepper wrote:does quality gain structure matter to you?
errr, Can i phone a friend?
FoundationStepper wrote:does the cut of frequencies of eq's matter to you? (full cut shelving or parametric)
Full cut would be nice.
FoundationStepper

hmmm... yeah im glad i have 4 - but you can get better sound quality for your buck if you go for less channels. something to weigh up

generally i steer clear of on board fx for one main reason - the effect send setup. i like to use a delay or reverb like a proper effect, not something superimposed ontop of a sound. so having the ability to send individual drum hits to a effect unit is important. you are fucked with a pioneer (and most mixers with onboard effects) becuase you cant send in this way... therefore no nice reverb tails, no ability to feedback delay.

plus the fx unit on a pioneer sounds so shitty. you can spot it from 50 yards blindfolded.

gain structure - in this case i mean the ability to pinpoint the incoming level of a track with the trim pots, and get a consistent result. those who know where im coming from will know the pioneer is no good for this. its becuase they use liniear pots instead of log pots apparently.

you need to check both the nature of the eq and the cut off frequency. steer clear of any of this - -26dB bullshit - if you want full cut you need shelving eq's, the slope on them is much steeper.

but if the xover frequency is set to high, you will still suck out mids. a complaint i have had on a few mixers.

in my mind, if you can afford it, a rane is the way to go. a ttm or a empath....
ShiKung

Post by ShiKung »

Rane is the one.

Listen to the Mighty Foundation Stepper he knows all!!

Rane's are awesome and having used a variety of mixers the Ranes are the best in the areas of
EQ filters - ( you turn them all down and you cant hear a thing and great filters, only takes the bass out)
Ease of Us - pretty much any dj no matter how drunk or stupid can mix well on a Rane
The Hedphone clarity is great on a rane really distinctive sound

The only thing i have heard against the rane is that it doesnt travel to well and is prone to blow fuses! Get a road case.

And the good thing about ranes is that its great quality at any cost.
The dont make a $200 mixer and put heaps of whizbang gadgets that suck on it or any flashy lights and sell it for $450. Its great value from the $900-$2300 no matter what model.
Sustain

Post by Sustain »

Image OR STFU

:teef:
nic

Post by nic »

errr this aint one of your options but have you had a look at a denon? x-300

http://www.denondj.com.au/Products/DN-X300.htm

I recently got one of these, they are cheapish and im really happy with it. very simple durable mixer with good eqs / useable kills / and P+G faders, fully adjustable too.

I was thinking 4 channel fx n shit but I wouldnt ever use it. simple is better.

Someone else should recommend another mixer as well? Then you can choose from tehm all
betson

Post by betson »

Check out the ecler NUO range, very nice sounding mixers. The midi on the NUO-4 is also quite handy.

Very similar layout to a DJM600 nice faders and scratch frindly.
Don't forget to bring a towell!!
djboganofbeatz

Post by djboganofbeatz »

What can you do with the midi on the Nuo-4 cause that looks like an awesome mixer at a good price.
betson

Post by betson »

you can use it to control ableton, or any software that is midi capable, you can save different settings for different apps. I have it semi-set at the moment to control a DMX lighting controller so I can control everything from my mixer, little bit more setting up and it'll be done.

---printing out email and gettin that package ready to send :oops: forgot---
Don't forget to bring a towell!!
deviant

Post by deviant »

DJM 800 is the bomb..... head and shoulders over the 600

used one at a gig in QLD.... very transparent but powerful effects, big headroom, smooth feel..... highly recommended, but $$$$$$
strategem

Post by strategem »

rane. seriously.
www.acousticweaponry.com
- vinyl pressing
- audio equipment
- production management
- pyrotechnics
fonk

Post by fonk »

Hey guys....just thought i'd ask a couple of noob questions while we're on this topic....

I'm getting my dnb production and dj'ing stuff together at the moment with the ultimate goal of just getting out there (if anyone wants me) and doing the odd set here and there and dropping a few of my own tunes in the sets.... (i've always played in live bands and done production/engineering work so doing a live dj set is something completely foreign and exciting for me!)

.....so anyway, basically i'm still learning about the whole dj-ing side of it...

What's a standard dj set up at a club? Obviously 2 x 1200s (are there many clubs around that use anything other than technics/1200s/etc?)...... what about CDJ things? Are they common? Is it common to have 2 of them? Any particular models that are more common?

As for mixers..... what's the most common? Pioneers apparently......any particular model, or does it vary widely?

Just trying to work a few things out.... i'll be buying a dj setup for home soon (i've got a little one at the moment - 2 x 1200s and a crappy Behringer mixer, but no CDJ's...) and I'm thinking I should just buy the most common setup..... I'm not into fancy fx and things..... just something where if I happen to get a set somewhere, I'll be comfortable using whatever they've got.

Cheers all!
Scholtzy

Re: Mixers: DJM600 v DNX1500 v SHMZ1200 v ???

Post by Scholtzy »

downtime wrote:Okay tech headz, mixers:

Pioneer DJM600
v
Denon DNX1500
v
Technics SHMZ1200
v
??? what else is better ???

Which is the best, and why?
(please don't say Xone of STFU unless you're gonna give me the extra grand... hehe)
I got my Xone 62 for $1590 @ Factory Sound about 9 months ago, best audio purchase I've made.

Dont get a DJM-600, the EQ's on them are just nasty, sound quality hasn't got shit on A&H. Gains on the top of each channel strip are way too touchy & the effects are meh.

As far as the denon goes, keep in mind that its a digital mixing desk, so if your spinning vinyl you've got all this Analog --> Digital, then back to Analog to go back to the speakers.., and I don't know how great the AD/DA converters could possibly be, ..at that price anyway.

Wouldn't even consider a technics mixer...why would you, they make decks not mixers.

The way I see it, you've got a choice between A&H or Rane (which sound great and are top quality as well). Get either one and you'll never go back

:wink:
FoundationStepper

While I wont knock on the quality of allen and heath mixers, I do want to say that I find the eqs on them a little odd.

Either its becuase they use parametric eqs, or the crossover freuency on the bass is set too high for my liking. sucks out mids.

good mixers though. quite intuitive etc. if you like em get them i reckon.

I dont get how people go for djm600 just cos they are the standard. learning the components of a mixer and how they work serves you better in the long run. give a man a fish, vs teach a man to fish.

in terms of ecler, I have one, and am pretty happy with it. You get what you pay for, and some ranges are certainly better than others. mine wouldn't last a lot of travel etc, but some of the other ranges certainly would. most of them aren't in the rane/allen and heath class though. especially when you look inside.

my other bitch on the djm600 is the headphone preamp lacks guts with my headphones (Senneiser HD 270s) - you need to crank the gain and the headphone volume to get decent level in a club, and this leads to crunchy sound etc.

In fact, i dont understnd the whole appeal? maybe people like them becuase they are familiar?

i think it might be becuase they have extra red lights. (which dont have any bearing to the actual clip point). so many djs are fucking idiots who think the more red lights the better, and will be more than happy to crank every part of a mixer for ther sake of it. pioneers let them think they are "running into the red" (yeah fuck yeah) without actually doing so.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

If you're only after two channels, and with good EQ's that can fully cut the low/mid-high bands at a decent price - have a look at this:

NUMARK DXM-PRO

Seriously, you can get them well under 1K and they're great. Fully digital CP-PRO faders that are some of the best I've ever had the pleasure to play with, had mine for well over a year - no drama's whatsoever.

I've had a fair few DJ's (inc. decent scratch DJ's) use my setup and have had nothing but good feedback.

I am biased with Numark - I'm not going to lie, but these are definatlely worth a bo-peep. I can steer you in the right direction for good prices if you're at all interested.
deviant

Post by deviant »

FoundationStepper wrote:i think it might be becuase they have extra red lights. (which dont have any bearing to the actual clip point). so many djs are fucking idiots who think the more red lights the better, and will be more than happy to crank every part of a mixer for ther sake of it. pioneers let them think they are "running into the red" (yeah fuck yeah) without actually doing so.
:scr1pt:

Imagine what it would sound like if the LEDs on a DJM600 were a real representation of the clipping point :shock: :lol:

Check out the new Tascam as well..... Highly affordable (like $1300 I think) and great sound quality. The desk is sturdy as fuck and has two nice effects units and two samplers as well (which is nice).

http://www.storedj.com.au/products/product.php?id=170
deviant

Post by deviant »

has anyone used a Vestax VMC004FX ??? I am looking at one of these soon... the are CHEAP (like $800) and have oodles of features. Just question of reliability and sound quality for me.
downtime

Re: Mixers: DJM600 v DNX1500 v SHMZ1200 v ???

Post by downtime »

Scholtzy wrote: I got my Xone 62 for $1590 @ Factory Sound about 9 months ago, best audio purchase I've made.
Wow, that's alright!
Scholtzy wrote: Wouldn't even consider a technics mixer...why would you, they make decks not mixers.
:wink:
No they make mixers too... :teef:

Thanks for all the input guys, there's only so much you can pick up when people are trying to sell their stuff...
Scholtzy

Post by Scholtzy »

Direktor wrote:If you're only after two channels, and with good EQ's that can fully cut the low/mid-high bands at a decent price - have a look at this:

NUMARK DXM-PRO

Seriously, you can get them well under 1K and they're great. Fully digital CP-PRO faders that are some of the best I've ever had the pleasure to play with, had mine for well over a year - no drama's whatsoever.

I've had a fair few DJ's (inc. decent scratch DJ's) use my setup and have had nothing but good feedback.

I am biased with Numark - I'm not going to lie, but these are definatlely worth a bo-peep. I can steer you in the right direction for good prices if you're at all interested.
Great for scratching, but the upfaders aren't that great to mix on in my experience...even with the upfader curve adjusted they seem to really jump in volume at the 8-10 mark.
downtime

Post by downtime »

Sustain wrote:Image OR STFU

:teef:
:smt076

But...

...maybe not so stupid after all...
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Scholtzy wrote:
Direktor wrote:If you're only after two channels, and with good EQ's that can fully cut the low/mid-high bands at a decent price - have a look at this:

NUMARK DXM-PRO

Great for scratching, but the upfaders aren't that great to mix on in my experience...even with the upfader curve adjusted they seem to really jump in volume at the 8-10 mark.
Yeah they have strange slope on the input faders - that's why I generally prefer to use the trim's instead. The input faders are 'too smooth' if there's such a thing - I prefer the rotaries (trims) as I have a more accurate contol over them.
Then again, I'm a far cry from the world best DJ!
Little Evil

Post by Little Evil »

deviant wrote:
FoundationStepper wrote:i think it might be becuase they have extra red lights. (which dont have any bearing to the actual clip point). so many djs are fucking idiots who think the more red lights the better, and will be more than happy to crank every part of a mixer for ther sake of it. pioneers let them think they are "running into the red" (yeah fuck yeah) without actually doing so.
:scr1pt:

Imagine what it would sound like if the LEDs on a DJM600 were a real representation of the clipping point :shock: :lol:

Check out the new Tascam as well..... Highly affordable (like $1300 I think) and great sound quality. The desk is sturdy as fuck and has two nice effects units and two samplers as well (which is nice).

I'm hearing real good things about this mixer.
Snowie has one (and just quietly I think he's rooting it :shock: )
Little Evil

Post by Little Evil »

My next mixer....

Played one a couple of months ago.
Clean sound, tough, lots of options.
I like. 8)
deviant

Post by deviant »

Little Evil wrote:
deviant wrote:Check out the new Tascam as well..... Highly affordable (like $1300 I think) and great sound quality. The desk is sturdy as fuck and has two nice effects units and two samplers as well (which is nice).

I'm hearing real good things about this mixer.
Snowie has one (and just quietly I think he's rooting it :shock: )
:lol: :scr1pt: :lol:

I have a had a decent go on Snowie's Tascam (I cleaned it first) and it was real good :D
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

If you can grab the Tascam X9 for $1300, do it!

It usually RRP's at $2,399.00inc.
FoundationStepper

Tascam X9 gives me a little technology woodie

parametric eqs

great effects options

rock solid

great great mixer
deviant

Post by deviant »

I can get it for $1289 actually :)
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

deviant wrote:I can get it for $1289 actually :)
Q. Where?

A: Store DJ.

DO IT!

They're the last one's left (at Store DJ) - once they're gone there will be no more!
Last edited by Direkt on Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
deviant

Post by deviant »

gunna go talk to them soon.... I don't quite have enough spare $$$ but I might be able to work out a payment plan :) :D 8)
Scholtzy

Post by Scholtzy »

deviant wrote:I can get it for $1289 actually :)
Bargain! :shock:

Know someone who's got one and heard good things about them.
strategem

Post by strategem »

there is a very simple reason why so many people go for the djm600. The person is a brain dead sheep, they see them everywhere (which is due to market flooding of a cheaper product, and intelligent marketing to clubs) and just follow along.

Fonk- dont get a 600, they suck bulk amounts ass and really, once you get the hang of things, you will be able to play on pretty much an mixer you come across.
www.acousticweaponry.com
- vinyl pressing
- audio equipment
- production management
- pyrotechnics
downtime

Post by downtime »

strategem wrote: The person is a brain dead sheep
:lol: