I heard this rumour today...

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
Sustain

Post by Sustain »

:shock: no farkin way it can't be so
...googled this and couldn't find anything

who is the source? -i doubt that it's credible (and i'm sure they'd find a substitute chemical anyway) :?
CoB

Post by CoB »

sweet!!

black market black crack!!!!!!

the way it shoudl be mother fucker!!!!!!

EDIT: by this, i mean mainly the fact that the culture vinyl is a part of.. kinda.. although im sure most people would just go to cd because of the easyness and whatever.. but.. i dunno..
and yes. what is the legitamacy of these majiggas? I am wishing to understand pleases and also some thank yous.
o/ . . . \o . . . -o . o- . \o/ \o/
PahMaLa

Post by PahMaLa »

Pah-lease they would of stopped making vinyl a very, very long time ago or they would of not been in production at all.
Rob M

Post by Rob M »

I knew they were going to start making licorice vinyl soon!

edible beats...mmmmm.
Shadowgames

Post by Shadowgames »

fake.
CoB

Post by CoB »

Rob M wrote:I knew they were going to start making licorice vinyl soon!

edible beats...mmmmm.
*drools*
jungle_tactics

Post by jungle_tactics »

Shadowgames wrote:fake.
:scr1pt: Plus even if this did happen we're a clever bunch and would find a substitute.

Either that or all the heads could all chip in $5 and set up a sweat shop in
some foreign third world country that is not effected by these laws :lol:
Confucius say

If you spin an awesome bedroom set and no one is around to hear it, did you still spin an awesome bedroom set?
Scholtzy

Post by Scholtzy »

Yeah, there has been about 5 threads on dogonacid.com about this. Maybe they'll just find another material...could even be more durable and less prone to warping.., I hope.
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

What the fuck are they gonna make my pants from now?
Shadowgames

Post by Shadowgames »

Hardy wrote:What the fuck are they gonna make my pants from now?
latex. standard.
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Shadowgames wrote:
latex. standard.
Latex? Please. You clearly don't understand fashion Zander.
Shadowgames

Post by Shadowgames »

Hardy wrote:
Shadowgames wrote:
latex. standard.
Latex? Please. You clearly don't understand fashion Zander.
true.
CoB

Post by CoB »

sorry for the random offtopicness..

but..

for some reason whenever I heard "pvc pants" I always kinda thought pvc pipe worn over the pantal area...

guess that's what you get for being the son of a landscaper.
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

CoB wrote:sorry for the random offtopicness..

but..

for some reason whenever I heard "pvc pants" I always kinda thought pvc pipe worn over the pantal area...

guess that's what you get for being the son of a landscaper.
You just gave me a brilliant idea for some new pants. Thanks mate! You'lkl be the first to own a pair.
CoB

Post by CoB »

shit...
that's what you get for airing your ideas on the internet!!!

I really should get paid for some of the shit I say...

I think maybe I should have someone dictate everything I say.. and then have someone else sort through it.. and any good ideas.. they can have for a nominal fee..
that way all i have to do is walk around talking shit all day..

what a perfect job..

sorry..

continue with the rumour!!!!

and also.. arent those "everlasting dubs" or whatever.. made out of pvc? so.. could pvc be used to make proper records? or.. *shrugs*

FUCKED IF I KNOW!
johnnynostars

Post by johnnynostars »

I heard a rumour that George Foreman has no finger prints...
cha_chaos

Post by cha_chaos »

CoB wrote:I think maybe I should have someone dictate everything I say.. and then have someone else sort through it.. and any good ideas.. they can have for a nominal fee..
that way all i have to do is walk around talking shit all day..

what a perfect job..

NOW AVAILABLE: The Travel Stenographer

The rubber plant was surprised. If the rubber plant could have spoken, it wouldn't have said anything. That's how surprised the rubber plant was.
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

Activists from around the world have gathered in Johannesburg, South Africa, where 120 nations are negotiating the terms of a global treaty that could ban some of the most toxic chemicals in the world. Some of these activists come from some of the world's toxic hotspots, where cancer rates have soared because of environmental pollution.
The treaty focuses on 12 of the deadliest chemicals, including PCBs, pesticides such as DDT and industrial byproducts such as dioxin. The "dirty dozen" chemicals seep into the ground, water and air, threatening babies through breast milk and arctic indigenous people through the flesh of the fatty fish they eat.

The delegates began six days of negotiations yesterday in the fifth and final summit planned before a treaty is signed in May in Stockholm, Sweden. Activists are particularly critical of the United States, accusing its representatives of undermining the treaty.

Among those at the meeting are residents of an area of Louisiana known as Cancer Alley, home to the largest number of vinyl production plants in the United States. The plants release 8 million pounds of pollution annually. The largest concentration is located in predominantly African American communities like Mossville, in the Lake Charles region of Louisiana, where cancer rates are many times higher than the national average.

Dioxins are a global health threat because they persist in the environment and can travel long distances. At very low levels, near those to which the general population is exposed, dioxins have been linked to immune system suppression, reproductive disorders, a variety of cancers, and endometriosis. According to a 1994 report by the British firm, ICI Chemicals & Polymers Ltd., "It has been known since the publication of a paper in 1989 that these oxychlorination reactions [used to make vinyl chloride and some chlorinated solvents] generate polychlorinated dibenzodioxins (PCDDs) and dibenzofurans (PCDFs). The reactions include all of the ingredients and conditions necessary to form PCDD/PCDFs.... It is difficult to see how any of these conditions could be modified so as to prevent PCDD/PCDF formation without seriously impairing the reaction for which the process is designed." In other words, dioxins are an unavoidable consequence of making PVC. Dioxins created by vinyl chloride production are released by on-site incinerators, flares, boilers, wastewater treatment systems and even in trace quantities in vinyl resins.[11] The US EPA estimate of dioxin releases from the PVC industry (based on industry estimates) more than doubled between 1995 and 2000.[12]

The largest well-quantified source of dioxin in the US EPA inventory of dioxin sources is barrel burning of household waste.[13] Studies of household waste burning indicate consistent increases in dioxin generation with increasing PVC concentrations.[14] According to the EPA dioxin inventory, landfill fires are likely to represent an even larger source of dioxin to the environment. A survey of international studies consistently identifies high dioxin concentrations in areas affected by open waste burning and a study that looked at the homologue pattern found the sample with the highest dioxin concentration was “typical for the pyrolysis of PVC”. Other EU studies indicate that PVC likely “accounts for the overwhelming majority of chlorine that is available for dioxin formation during landfill fires.”[15]

The next largest sources of dioxin in the EPA inventory are medical and municipal waste incinerators. Studies have shown a clear correlation between dioxin formation and chloride content and indicate that PVC is a significant contributor to the formation of both dioxin and PCB in incinerators.[16]

To be honest, I wouldn't be surpised to see a ban on PVC production. Dioxins and Furans have been linked to many kinds of cancer and other debilitating diseases.

Buy up now and get rocking with the CDJ... I'll let you guys know when the USEPA and the EU come to a final decision.

I guess China will take over most PVC production if the US and the EU put a stop to it.
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."
almax

Post by almax »

i always wondered why vinyl smelt so god damn good
Grey Son

Post by Grey Son »

The cops don't know what to do,because my dope breaks thru
No matter what they do,my stuff gets to you
Kickin' on the Boulevard,my tempo's hyped and hard
I don't ask,the ICE just bogards
Sire Records puts me out,with Warner Bros. clout
My dope hits the streets with no doubt
Evil E adds the cut,then removes it
IZ checks for purity,then approves it
And then you get it,try it,and like it
And if it ain't potent,we remix and spike it
To bring you the pure dope,not a noose in a rope
Because if you're doin' crack,you're on death row
You're just a toy punk,to mess with that junk
You want some real dope,come look in my trunk
The dope I'm sellin' is life,100% legit
So get real fool,and try some real hit
Well at least i will be the fattest guy on the street gettin a boat
HEY HEY HEY im gettin a boat!!!!
www.myspace.com/greysonsoul
mrj

Post by mrj »

Puts a whole new spin on dropping a killer track that slayed the entire crowd
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
elysium

Post by elysium »

:lol:
I'm in a loop, I am the loop...
scotty woo hoo

Post by scotty woo hoo »

what about cars and cigarettes?
mrj

Post by mrj »

I think DJ"s may have dropped cigarettes occsaionally. I haven't heard of them dropping any cars though.
sneaky hands

Post by sneaky hands »

LOL GREY SON my thoughts exactly

my immediate mental image was the Pusherman video - Ice walking through customs and getting caught with a bunch of vinyl then busting through with the feds on his tail.
sneaky flow like cash flow
on the first of the month
for broke cats that's thirst for the blunt
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

edible records are the way of the future.

i heard they passed a law a while ago becasue cocoa was running out, that you can now call anything chocolate, even if it doesn not contain cocoa...

so no more real chocolate either....

:?
unsoundbwoy

Post by unsoundbwoy »

well fuck of course we're gonna have to stop making plastic at some point, or its gonna get so expensive pressing records aint gonna be worth it

most of these links come fom jess http://www.myspace.com/mzrevolution hit her up if you're interested im sure she'll tell you more than i know

http://www.oilcrash.com
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4627278.stm
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... california
http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandfork ... 535039.htm
http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown ... 221lud.htm
http://atlanta.bizjournals.com/atlanta/ ... ily16.html
http://www.vinylinfo.org/environment/recycling.html

Vinyl Farewell

It looks as though audiophiles may have to resign themselves to the fact that in a few years time there will be only the chance to fondly re-live the good old days of nostalgia, rather than experience the new. Vinyl, the medium that took over from Shellac, Bakelite and even earlier the wax pressing, has had its final play Ÿ well, almost. The year 2009, looks set to be the final turn in the long standing vinyl revolution.

A June 2003 press release from The Institute of Chemical Engineering, advised that key by- products of the current petroleum refining process would no longer be generated by 2009, due to deadlines agreed, in principle, with the chemical industry back in 1992. These deadlines were however, only finalised in 1999, in the face of increasing environmental concerns and lobbying.

The IoCE went on to advise that a voluntary co-funded research and development program to seek a green alternative, possibly a polycarbonate based compound had been proposed in the 1999 summary. However no members of the industry wide syndicate had been able to substantiate a sufficiently high market demand for a replacement for the petroleum by-product, which is the primary base for vinyl record albums.

MORE..............

Whilst concluding that the news marked The end of an era for vinyl, a spokesperson of music retailing giants Tower Records advised that with sales of collective vinyl products accounted for less than a third of a percent
(0.28%) of their total music sales World-wide in the last accounting period. Hardest hit will be the few remaining traditionalist vinyl Disc Jockeys Tower Records confirmed.

Tower replied positively when asked if this early warning would mean a silence in the thousands of DJ booths and radio stations around the world. For some, existing skills will need to be adapted for use with the rapidly advancing Compact Disc DJ equipment² continued Towers spokesperson., it promises to be a very exciting transition as older techniques are retained and used alongside the plethora of new features that CD technology already offers todays forward thinking DJs and turntablists. Towers spokesperson added "It is unlikely that we will continue to carry vinyl into 2009. We believe the needs of the DJ will be totally digital, in one medium or another, prior to the cessation date.

Radio stations and other areas of the broadcasting community are unlikely
to be affected by this early warning of environmental issues validating the need for minor lifestyle changes either,. since almost a of the music played in a modern broadcast scenario is primarily CD, or from Digital archives owned under licence by the larger radio stations.
elysium

Post by elysium »

peak oil rears its ugly head...

Get used to it people, it is going to affect a lot more than the audio sphere of our lives in years to come.

We waste so much plastic at the moment... packaging is ridiculous, and heaps of it is not even recyclable.

Anyway... whoopsies... I've gone off on a rant. Back to the topic at hand:
I'm in a loop, I am the loop...
L-J

Post by L-J »

you no take candle!
The South East Connection-Every Sat 9am-11am GMT+1 8pm-10pm GMT+10
Big Tings-24th Oct With Coki, Loefah, Mj Cole and Zed Bias @ Roxannes
Branded Beats- 6th Nov @ Mercat
strategem

Post by strategem »

the record pressing industy is the biggest it has ever been. If it is banned in the EU then vinyl manufacturing companies will move off shore. or if it proves to be cheaper they will find an alternative to vinyl just as vinyl was the alternative to Bakelite. We will not see the end of records, there will be some other compound used that will mean you can still dj just as you always have. something that will look, feel and sound like the records we know and love.
www.acousticweaponry.com
- vinyl pressing
- audio equipment
- production management
- pyrotechnics
mrj

Post by mrj »

and if not we can always just huddle in a group and hum our favourite tunes really loudly.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

illegal broadcasting of the hums of the new generation?
Grey Son

Post by Grey Son »

Bahhh who gives a.....
There not banning music so big deal, fuck it im goin back and start playin tracks off BETA!!!!
Well at least i will be the fattest guy on the street gettin a boat
HEY HEY HEY im gettin a boat!!!!
www.myspace.com/greysonsoul
almax

Post by almax »

please oh please can this new wonder compound be fucking lighter!.....and smell as good :D
factory worker

Post by factory worker »

this is a complete travesty. digital medium aren't permament and will not be any use for archiving recorded sound for the future. vinyl is the most permanent and long lasting recording medium. everything else is digital replication or corrodable magnetic storage. boo to the environmentalists on this one. preservation of musical heritage over people dying of cancer. shit arse fark khunt.
The best way to cure a broken heart is to give the pieces away