AGL appears to be a shit electricity company

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
universal sea

AGL appears to be a shit electricity company

Post by universal sea »

i've had nothing but problems with them from the day I opened my account. $410 bills for a one person pad followed by a $90 one the next 3 months, investigations that are promised yet nobody gets back to me, urgent bill payment notices all the time, and now the rudest person I've spoken to on the phone since I've been in melbourne (though, granted, everybody's been quite friendly).

Once this is all settled I'd like to move away from AGL. Am I the only one with AGL issues, are the other companies just as bad, who do you recommend, what is going on.

AGL - A Company with issues.
deviant

Re: AGL appears to be a shit electricity company

Post by deviant »

universal sea wrote:i've had nothing but problems with them from the day I opened my account. $410 bills for a one person pad followed by a $90 one the next 3 months, investigations that are promised yet nobody gets back to me, urgent bill payment notices all the time, and now the rudest person I've spoken to on the phone since I've been in melbourne (though, granted, everybody's been quite friendly).

Once this is all settled I'd like to move away from AGL. Am I the only one with AGL issues, are the other companies just as bad, who do you recommend, what is going on.

AGL - A Company with issues.
dude, they are all as bad as each other....

Red Energy, didn't connect our electricity for three days after we moved in

Tru energy (TXU), have NEVER read our gas meter (it's inside the house), I used to read the meter so that we would get billed the right amount and tell them over the phone. Then I tried to transfer the account into someone elses name.... They told me this was impossible and that I'd have to cancel my account and have my flatmate start a new one.

After much fucking around etc etc... They told me that I couldn't read the meter myself for a final reading so I had to arrange for someone to be home from 8am 'til 8pm some day. Fuck me, don't they realise people have lives and better things to do than wait around for a gas meter reading guy for 12 hours??? Anyway, I get a day when someone will be home for the whole day, the dude never shows up and we get a final account anyway (dated back in august) and the next bill comes with my flatmates name on it, with the same acount number, which we where told was impossible....... total fuckheads.
mrj

Post by mrj »

From what I understand the energy industry, partiuclarly in Victoria, is undergoing some rather large changes at the moment.

One of the major changes relates to how often the meter is read. Currently it gets read once a month or something. Apparently its changing to once every 15 mins or something like that. Consequently all energy companies are having to do some pretty radical work on their billing systems.

So essentially what I'm saying is that the problems you are experiencing are likely to be endemic of the industry as a whole right now, as nearly every (in fact I'm pretty sure all) energy company in Victoria is transitioning from a legacy billing system (although admittidely no that old as the industry really hasn't been privatised that long) so a new whiz bang one, so naturally stuff will be falling through the cracks left right and centre.

I'm with TRU Energy and had experienced fine service until last year when I moved house and stayed with them as a provider. They pretty much stuffed up everything the could have. It was a complete disaster. I rang them no less than 6 times to tell them my new address and every time I was assured the changes had been made to my account, and yet never were.

I've had similar problems with Origin energy as well, although this was back in 2002 and apparently that year they stuffed up the account of every single customer they had.
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
valuetime

Post by valuetime »

privatisation rocks. nuff said.
deviant

Post by deviant »

mrj wrote: I'm with TRU Energy and had experienced fine service until last year when I moved house and stayed with them as a provider. They pretty much stuffed up everything the could have. It was a complete disaster. I rang them no less than 6 times to tell them my new address and every time I was assured the changes had been made to my account, and yet never were.

I've had similar problems with Origin energy as well, although this was back in 2002 and apparently that year they stuffed up the account of every single customer they had.
back in 2003 I had an account with origin, I moved house and changed providers, I told them my new address but they went ahead and sent the final bill to my old address.... I forgot about the bill and never paid it... Next thing you know (a few years later) I'm listed on baycorp as a defaulter, I didn't even know this until I applied for a loan and it got knocked back. I had to get my credit report sent to me so that I could even find out what the fuck was going on. You can imagine my surprise when I found out it was a $100 gas bill from two years before at an old address.

$100!!!! :roll: geez, that's worth cutting of someones credit priviliages. If they had've got my fucking address right it never would've happened.
ulyssian

Post by ulyssian »

contact the energy ombudsman (check phone book).

explain WTF happened and they will give you a ref number, usually they put some wind up the ass of companies so they get onto it!

I have green energy, little bit more expensive but the perks if you have a frequent flyer number... just about to get my trip one way to..... dallas?!
universal sea

Post by universal sea »

tell us more about green energy, the eligible frequent flyer programmes, and why you'd pick dallas over austin, in terms of music and vibe.
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

you can also make complaints to the AER - aust. energy regulator.

www.aer.gov.au - they are part of the accc

good people! their job is to make sure these sorts of things are kept to a minimum and they love giving the energy companies a wrap over the knuckles.

i don't personally have any issues with energy companies although sometimes the billing on utilities can seem rather odd.
deviant

Post by deviant »

I've complained to the ACCC and the obudsman about telstra before (I think I've posted the story before)... They never get back to you with outcomes etc etc, Or even know what you're talking about when you call back. I guess they get heaps of complaints about telstra :?
universal sea

Post by universal sea »

Good info and resources, thank you.

It's also good to know a quality Energy Consultant such as Mrs. Lob.

Damn that agitated AGL lady on the rag this morning. May your man reek of onions in your mouth next time.
ulyssian

Post by ulyssian »

http://www.ewov.com.au

&
www.ourwater.vic.gov.au

"""""Our services are free and available to everyone. We will handle your complaint confidentially, informally and as speedily as possible. Remember that you must discuss your problem with the customer service people at your electricity, gas or water provider first. :argue: """"""

I ususally have massive disputes between utility suppliers on behalf of clients. Usually after I contact the ombudsmen with a case, I then re-contact the 'service' and discuss the information I have received from the powers that be:
tell us more about green energy, the eligible frequent flyer programmes, and why you'd pick dallas over austin, in terms of music and vibe.
(If you have a qantas frequent flyer #, then every $ U spend puts 1 point on your QFF#! If you have a linked QFF# credit card even better (DBL points).
Sorry greenpower:
http://www.greenpower.gov.au
:kermit:

Eventually it is the way we will all go (AND need to go). They actually cost a bit more than AGL etc. but better 4 da enviro!

God I feel like a frikin advitising company (if any of the above doesn't work 4 U, U didn't do it ryt).
universal sea

Post by universal sea »

you sound like a hippy too, but that's alright.

Once Virgin gives frequent flyer points for paying your utility bills I'll be there.

For the record, AGL would be able to do their job if Noel Jones had a key that properly opened the now-shut-down property beneath me.

This thriller in Australian electrical history continues...
ulyssian

Post by ulyssian »

you sound like a hippy too, but that's alright.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Dmv4uW- ... ed&search=

**gigles** :smt033
RK

Post by RK »

I like electricity.
It makes stuff go.
On the mish.....
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

RK wrote:I like electricity.
It makes stuff go.
huhuhuh h huh hu
one more medicated peacefull moment
www.dubstep.com.au
universal sea

Post by universal sea »

so does gravity, a wet snatch and monopoly.

I like RK.
He does stuff.
Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic »

Can't say I've had problems with AGL, so I'm sorry to hear that you have, Sea. I'm on a Community Power plan - 100% renewable (though only 10% accredited Green Power) and it's charged at normal electricity rates.
Community Power doesn't buy or sell energy directly but acts as an aggregator which brings together communities in the five participating areas and does the shopping for them. By doing this and having a large groups of residents taking up its Energy Plans, Community Power is able to secure more competitive prices.
For whatever reason, Community Power chose AGL as their supplier. If not for that, I wouldn't recommend one company over another.
ulyssian

Post by ulyssian »

For whatever reason, Community Power chose AGL as their supplier. If not for that, I wouldn't recommend one company over another.
This is true, different areas have different suppliers you will need to contact AGL or TXU (TRU) or if there is another one.. them about aho supplies in that area.
BTW - AGL are bugging me trying to get my custom back by offering me lower rates than what I originally had, which is annoying considering I asked them for the best prices when I originally signed up. I don't understand why companies can offer you better rates after you have left (Feeling like a piece of meat)
Grey Son

Post by Grey Son »

Move back in with ya folks and drain all there energy..
Mentaly and physicly ( is that spelt right??)
Well at least i will be the fattest guy on the street gettin a boat
HEY HEY HEY im gettin a boat!!!!
www.myspace.com/greysonsoul
ulyssian

Post by ulyssian »

Mentaly and physicly ( is that spelt right??)
mentally and physically????
is anytihng splet rghit here?
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

Seems like a good thread to put the question - seems about time for me to do some energy retailer shopping. I'm with TRU for gas and Origin for electricity, figure if i consolidate with one or the other I will save a little.

Origin have been fine, but TRU started making my f/night payment based on some weird calculation based only on the past few months usage, rather than annual usage. seems stupid... jumped from $25 to $36 overnight, but they fixed it after a grilling. However, shithouse customer service when I asked for an explanation. With the ombudsman now.

So thinking of pissing them off and going to Origin. Any thoughts generally on experiences or other good companies of late?

Not up for green power at this time.

Plus this is a good site: http://www.yourchoice.vic.gov.au/
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

How much do people pay for electricity?

We do about $400 every 3 months between 3 (with hot water on elec). I have no idea if that is normal though.
Don't hate me for house
Fents

Post by Fents »

Mines about $250 between 2 people in the cooler months and up around $400 in the summer quater due to air con etc. Pay quaterly as well and its TRU.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Yeah I suppose the $400 is summer
Don't hate me for house
gnat

Post by gnat »

yeh ours is normally about $160-200 but water is on gas. we cranked air con all summer and the bill only went up $100

i have gas and elec packaged on a green plan with TRU, never had an issue
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
Sociopathic

Post by Sociopathic »

I'm with tru, just moved house and stayed with them.
Never had any issues with them either.
My electricity bills were always around the 200-300 mark and the gas bills were always around the 60-80 mark.
They had the new place connected up and everything on time for me.
Origin when I did a ring around told me there was no gas at my new house (it has gas cooking gas ducted heating and gas hotwater)
So i told them to push off.

I don't do direct debits, I set my own kinda direct debit up from my bank account by just setting a auto bpay fortnightly (well I only just started this for the new house so we'll see)

I did a MASSIVE ring around just last Saturday, thought I was gonna explode by the end of it.
To be honest though theres really a much the muchness between all of them for everything pricing etc.
All will do "pay on time get this" and all have a sort of "pay on time and sign up for a contract and get this" they all had vastly different contract breaking amounts though I think tru was like 20odd dollars for each.

I actually just got off the phone to tru an hr ago, finding out my reference number and biller code so I could have the payments set up and going before the first bill, the lady was really helpful actually.
The fridge is angry, the cheese told me so.

Watch out for the penguins, they are comming
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Just got a new power bill for $500 for 3 people with hot water on power.

2209 kWh, which seems really high.

Would be interested to hear what others are charged?
Don't hate me for house
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

I have a friend who works for them. They have just retrenched everyone who works there and moved the operations to Manilla. A month later, theyve moved it to India cos Manilla wasnt working. Um, what? So unorganised.

Id change tbh.. is that $500 for a month or 3? If its only a month, thats not cool at all.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

3!

According to the bill we are using 2 x the average Victorian household though.

Am doing some meter snooping tonight.
Don't hate me for house
deviant

Post by deviant »

ours was ~$400 per 3 months at our old place, in winter even more...

hot water, heating and massive TV and 6 computers probably didn't help.. oh, and a dryer with no outdoor clothes hanging allowed.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

we had one bill that was $550 for 2 people. almost died when i saw it. old house, elec hot water, one computer, tv, dryer, dishwasher. that was summer though with air con on most days. we got it down to $400 just recently. still shocking though

am switching to Tru Energy with new place, i reckon Origin are a rip off.

and i used these guys to get some comparisons for my area -

http://www.goswitch.com.au/moving-home? ... bwodiFIkog
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

We have 2 laptops, hot water, one medium TV and air con heating. That's it really!
Don't hate me for house
Sociopathic

Post by Sociopathic »

Just got my 3 monthly bills for both gas and elec. we have ducted gas heating, gas hot water, gas stove top but elect oven aquarium with filter and heater always running and we run the heating pretty much all day every day some times turned off during the day.
Elec was 274 and gas was 391.
Pretty much what I was expecting. It's only the 2 of us, but runing ducted heating the way we do kinda asks for bills that high.
I'd defintately be checking what your hot water is set to whether its peak or off peak and also check with your elec company to make sure that they've put you on the appropriate rate for the fact that you have an elect. hot water system. \
Most companies have a different rates when your hot water is electric because of how much elect they can use.

I'm with tru energy on some go for more plan where if I pay it all on time I end up with a 6% discount.

Never had any problems with them :D

Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

yeah i have signed up for a package thingy with Tru for 3% discount if pay bill on time. No contract or anything, just an option you can choose. not bad really
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
Sociopathic

Post by Sociopathic »

Yeah tru always do the 3% if pay on time with no contract thingy. I've been with them for over 2 years now so figured may as well go with the contract thingy and get the extra 3% on top of that.

gnat

Post by gnat »

FAR OUT pretty steep bills

we just paid $200 for 3 months elec and gas was $250 for same amount of time. gas hot water and ducted heating, which is running constantly

we're with tru..
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
deviant

Post by deviant »

we just got $220 for 3 months elec... the only thing on gas is hot water and that was $40 for 2 months

we are with Country Energy... pretty good afaict
Sociopathic

Post by Sociopathic »

gnat wrote:FAR OUT pretty steep bills

we just paid $200 for 3 months elec and gas was $250 for same amount of time. gas hot water and ducted heating, which is running constantly

we're with tru..
Hmm ok thats weird. seeing as our ducted runs all the time as well and ours is near double yours I mean I wasn't overly concerned about the bills considering we do have the house at a constant 20 degrees ALL DAY every day pretty much since we moved in. Occasionally turning it up or off but not very often. Now making me think though.

How bigs your place gnat is it a fair dencent size so a fair few ducts working to heat it up or what?

menace

Post by menace »

Country Energy ...there the only australia owned company ... all the workers are in oz ...best rates on the market :fact:
aroes

Post by aroes »

interestment that all their workers are onshore and they can still offer the best rates

all the rest are scoundrels imo
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

well the nsw gubbermint are scoundrels as well and they run country energy...
aroes

Post by aroes »

seen
Sociopathic

Post by Sociopathic »

I was with country energy when I lived in country NSW, never ever had a problem with them and I have had pretty much everything available with them. Elec, natrual gas, LPG gas for refils.
Service was always awesome too but I spose ebign in a small town you tended to know the people at the country energy stores as well.