Acoustic treatment foam

Tips, hints, help, tech support, setups, systems and all things related to making phat beats. Post your latest production for all to hear & review. Or quiz the resident nerds about that tech problem you just can't figure out.
a1studmuffin

Acoustic treatment foam

Post by a1studmuffin »

Can anyone recommend any particular brand of acoustic treatment foam and/or any particular store to purchase it from in Melbourne? I'm planning on setting up a studio room when I get back and ideally I'd like to get some auralex foam but I've had trouble finding many stores selling it online in Australia.
Spherix

Post by Spherix »

lowercase//Immerse//Tube10//BareDubs//Sub Continental Dub//On The Edge//Camino Blue
Shadowgames

Post by Shadowgames »

what do you want the foam to do?

just broadband absorption?
LuKo

Post by LuKo »

build some bass traps, probably work out cheaper than aurelex anyway

it did for us..

read here: http://gearslutz.com/board/showthread.p ... bass+traps

its what i did, and am very happy with how my room sounds ;)
a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

Spherix wrote:Image
Heheh, do they really work as well as acoustic foam though? As a cheap alternative fine, but I'm happy to shell out for something that's going to be more effective for scattering reflections.

I'm not exactly sure what my studio room situation is going to be when I get back, but I suspect it's going to be a spare bedroom, probably with wooden floorboards, and a desk at one end of the room with speakers on stands behind it, hopefully back a little bit from the wall and in the middle in terms of left/right. So I'm thinking lay some carpet/a rug down, set up some foam strips on the L + R and walls behind the speakers to stop reflections, and maybe 4 bass traps in useful places around the room, have a sofa/bed at the back of the room to help stop reflections from the back wall.

Luko, the bass traps are fine for smoothing out the low end and like you say you can build your own without too much trouble, but it's more the foam for reflections of mid/treble, as there doesn't seem to be a good DIY alternative beyond using duvets, but if I can find the right kind of foam I'd prefer that as it'll look a bit nicer and probably be more effective.
a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

Hahaha... yeah there's a Sound on Sound article that debunks it too somewhere online... :)
Shadowgames

Post by Shadowgames »

they will do fuck all really.

if anything they will diffuse the sound (not always a bad thing), but they will not act as 'sound proofing' in any way.

its all about density, that's why thick rock wool panels are used and not 2mm of cardboard.

the Real Traps website has some good info.