setting default file opening on mac

Tips, hints, help, tech support, setups, systems and all things related to making phat beats. Post your latest production for all to hear & review. Or quiz the resident nerds about that tech problem you just can't figure out.
Rob M

setting default file opening on mac

Post by Rob M »

this may sound stupid, and I'm a fairly technical guy. however macs are my new stomping ground.

one thing I don't know how to do is open a damn document to the .app I want!!! It's racking my brain.

Currently I havev omnioutliner and omnioutliner pro -- got these with my pb when I bought it and they were installed already. Think it was a package deal for free software. Anyways I digress.

I want to be able to open my .oo3 files with omnioutliner pro by "default" and not the standard version, however I don't want to uninstall omnioutliner (standard).

I tried the right click menu "open with" and then set the defaults from there, but the options are not sticking!!!

HELP!?
aspekt

Post by aspekt »

try doing "get info" on a file > "open with" > "change all"

there's some oddities in the way stuff is assigned. Like to make Firefox your default browser, you have to set that in safari... no idea who decided that was a logical way of doing things.
There's no justice, just us.
Rob M

Post by Rob M »

lol crap -- even that method aint working. it sets it and then once you hit change all it reverts back to the standard app for handling the default file.

grrrr! this is nuts!
valuetime

Post by valuetime »

works for me... sometimes it won't update the icons, but dbl-click and it will open with the right app.

you can use "open with..." also when you control-click (not command-click) on a file, select "open with..." and then select your application. which is slow.

another way: try changing the creators of all your .oo3 files with something like file buddy (i haven't used this in a while, but i assume it still works).

http://www.skytag.com/filebuddy/en/8/index.html
pitch helix

Post by pitch helix »

tinkertool might do the trick for ya

other than that there was this system prefs ad on. thingo... cant remember the name..

it does it.

try searching versiontracker.
it's the most beautiful ugly sound in the world
anonYout

Post by anonYout »

Yea i had this problem when i got my G5, mainly when looking on redeye or chemical. It would always default to opening mp3s within the browser using quicktime.

Hugh told me about a program to sort out all your extensions last week but Ive already forgot it :?
Rob M

Post by Rob M »

ok, I think my problem is something to do with the two softwares trying to compete each others attention. The actual default open with is pointed to the pro version however on double clicking the file it opens with the standard. (stupid!)

I think I will just need to uninstall the standard version -- which i didn't really want to because I don't have the license key on any apple documentation and it's basically licensed as 'macintosh bundle package' as apposed to my name, so I hope it means i can still use the pro version. But right now it looks like the license is transferable.

We'll see. Thanks for your help guys! :)
Spherix

Post by Spherix »

huhuhuuh huhuhu huhuhuhuh uhuhuhuhuh mac :)
lowercase//Immerse//Tube10//BareDubs//Sub Continental Dub//On The Edge//Camino Blue
flippo

Post by flippo »

try stomping on it