MAC releases notebook with intel chip

Tips, hints, help, tech support, setups, systems and all things related to making phat beats. Post your latest production for all to hear & review. Or quiz the resident nerds about that tech problem you just can't figure out.
betson

MAC releases notebook with intel chip

Post by betson »

Don't forget to bring a towell!!
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

we are gunna get some newys in here at work.

sweet as.
one more medicated peacefull moment
www.dubstep.com.au
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

the magnetic power cord thing is pimp. don't have a powerbook myself, but know plenty of people with them who have the ends of the power cords held together with duct tape.
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

saintberry

Post by saintberry »

yeah i was going to post this but it would have turned into a bitch fest.

you can get the 2ghz version of that dual core chip, with 17" monitor, 2gb ram and 7200 100gb hdd for $500 USD less than apple if you buy dell or acer. hmmmmm

very interesting that apple advertise it as 1. not a centrino and 2. having the airport wireless.

i want someone to pull it apart and take some pics of the motherboard/chipset/wireless
First you get her name. Then you get her number. Then you get some get some in the back seat of a hummer!
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

to be fair, dell/acer are both shithouse. for i386 laptops, ibm/lenovo or stfu. my next laptop (given that repairing my laptop will cost half of a new one, maybe more) will be an x41 or an x60s. lightweight, phenomenal battery life, still rather grunty, no heat output whatsoever. <3
saintberry

Post by saintberry »

i agree i wouldnt buy one...ill be waiting for the sony vio dual cores. BUT the cost of hardware would be similar for all manufactures...that brings up some issues, when dell can offer more hardware for less price.

toshibas offerings are also cheaper...
First you get her name. Then you get her number. Then you get some get some in the back seat of a hummer!
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

simple. they just use lower-quality components (it's more than just the cpu and chipset -- stuff like capacitors, hard drives, batteries, overall case construction, lcd, etc). if you look at the thinkpads, you'll note that they all have a magnesium outer shell (while being stupidly light). dells ... don't.

so, the answer is just cheaper components and lots of cost-cutting in engineering. dell hardware often comes broken by design (their acpi tables in particular often bear little to no resemblance to the hardware), because they did it all quick and nasty, and just hacked around it in the windows driver. hp are a little better on this front, and are a decent mid-price laptop, but sony and ibm/lenovo are basically the only ones who sink time and money into their laptops, and it shows in the quality.

ditto server hardware too. dell list prices are usually about 50% of hp's (although you can usually get the hp down to about two thirds if you have a good reseller), but the dell poweredges are complete crap. hp proliants, otoh, are the best server hardware i've ever had the pleasure of encountering.