Macbook Pro.

Tips, hints, help, tech support, setups, systems and all things related to making phat beats. Post your latest production for all to hear & review. Or quiz the resident nerds about that tech problem you just can't figure out.
gb

Macbook Pro.

Post by gb »

New Powerbooks are out:

http://www.apple.com/au/macbookpro/

I'm looking to trash my dell (literally, I'm gonna take a sledgehammer to the freezing-up, crashing, data-losing piece of crap) and upgrade to apple and Logic 7, however can't decide between a G5 desktop or one of these dual core laptops.

Has anyone had a chance to check out the performance of one of these babies yet?
drum & bass

Post by drum & bass »

meant to be as fast as andy c's mixing.
aspekt

Post by aspekt »

i don't think they actually get released until feb (you can preorder them).
i'm seriously considering selling my 9 month old powerbook to buy a new one. I wouldn't bother buying a G5 atm as the intel based desktops shouldn't be too far off.

the macbooks have digital audio I/O as well. I dare say they will be freaking awesome although it might be worth waiting till logic has been made "universal" and will run natively on intel.
There's no justice, just us.
gb

Post by gb »

So is emagic definitely releasing a universal version of Logic? I always thought that it was only going to be available on Mac from v7 onwards?
saintberry

Post by saintberry »

get these over a G5...they are much faster. well potentially…

not much software out there has been compiled to take advantage of the dual core...however that wont be far off.

as for logic, in my mind apple will compile its code in 3 ways. 1. power PC core 2. x86 based and maybe an x86 version that is designed to best preform with 2cores.

it wont be long after that when both x86 versions are hacked to remove the TMP protection apple has setup (its already happened with OSX).

another thing to consider...intel has in the pipeline an update to this new centrino based system. by 2nd quart 06 there should be a quicker CPU (2.3ghz and up) motherboard that supports faster RAM and the same old wireless chip set.

I think now the chips are at 1.8ghz….so depending on what you want to use them for, it may well be worth waiting.

one thing apple cant avoid with the move to x86...is the speed @ which the technology advances/updates. something IBM didn’t bother them with…
First you get her name. Then you get her number. Then you get some get some in the back seat of a hummer!
drum & bass

Post by drum & bass »

i like your avatar
saintberry

Post by saintberry »

My name is Franklin...and I think I don't like you.

hehehe jk, Arrested Development = rad
Last edited by saintberry on Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
First you get her name. Then you get her number. Then you get some get some in the back seat of a hummer!
danielf

Post by danielf »

I hope the Powerbooks get the Intel chip later on as well, at the moment only the Macbooks have got them (reason being I plan on getting one at the end of the year)
gb

Post by gb »

I was under the impression that the Macbook Pro is the new powerbook? Is this not the case?
aspekt

Post by aspekt »

"universal" means that the install disks run natively on both powerpc (G4, G5) and intel (duo core). basically this means that software will be backwards compatible and also run optimally regardless of which chip you have. at the moment there is very little "universal" software available and most software you installed on an intel based mac would use a built in feature called rosetta which emulates the powerpc architecture and translates it to intel. afaik this all happens seamlessly (theoretically). the downside is it uses more processing speed which means that your old apps will probably run at about the same speed they used to instead of faster.

My assumption is that the powerbooks will be no more within a few months. the macbook pros are the replacement for the powerbooks (they look almost exactly the same, the "power" in powerbook refers to the "powerpc" chip etc). and the ibooks may be replaced by a regular macbook or something.

either way the powerpc chips are on the way out and mac plans to fully transition everything to intel by the end of the year.

apple also plans to make all it's pro software (final cut, aperture and logic) universal before the end of the year. I think i'll hold out another 6 months or so before upgrading. as much as i want one of the new macbooks i think i'll wait until any bugs are ironed out, the speeds are a bit faster and more software is redeveloped for intel

emagic and logic were bought by apple.
There's no justice, just us.
saintberry

Post by saintberry »

gb wrote:I was under the impression that the Macbook Pro is the new powerbook? Is this not the case?
no your first impressions were right. powerbook will be superseded by the macpro
danielf

Post by danielf »

saintberry wrote:
gb wrote:I was under the impression that the Macbook Pro is the new powerbook? Is this not the case?
no your first impressions were right. powerbook will be superseded by the macpro
Gotcha. So the Macbook Pro it is ($!)
Rob M

Post by Rob M »

I read that the new dual cores have substantial things missing that the powerbooks have.

if you decide to get one you will be losing:

DL 8x DVD-+R for SL 4x DVD-+R
1440x960 for 1440x900 res downgrade
no firewire 800
2 hrs less battery life.

not for me at this time <3 17" PB :)
saintberry

Post by saintberry »

who ever said they will have less battery life is tripping. jobs him self said the 3. things that made them go with intel was. 1. heat. 2. power consumption vs power out and the fact that you just couldnt get a G5 core into a notebook.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

there is no doubt that p-m spanks everything in terms of cycles : heat dissipation and also generally cycles : power consumption. the rest (ibm couldn't make the g5s fast enough, ibm couldn't make g5s to apple's power requirements, etc), is bullshit.
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl