Local Hip Hop!

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
sneaky hands

Post by sneaky hands »

yeh ShiKung i think that attitude is starting to disappear, youll find the majority of people with that kind of attitude are kids who just dont know better.

there is a difference between straight up putting on an american accent, and using inflection, cadence and other vocal gymnastics to sound dope.
sneaky flow like cash flow
on the first of the month
for broke cats that's thirst for the blunt
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Totally do not agree.

You are NOT expressing YOURSELF if you are trying to sound like something you are NOT.
What a farce!
Weapon X and Ken Hell certainly do sound yank to me. I've got their mixtape, I've seen their film-clips and I've seen them live...

It's so ironic when you get people rapping in Yank accents, talkin' about "keepin it real etc".... :lol:

Just my thoughts - and I think you'll find they're echoed by the majority of people in the Oz hip-hop scene.
sneaky hands

Post by sneaky hands »

i agree with you direktor but youll find guys like ken hell and x are not targeting oz hip hop fans, they are targeting 13 year old video hits watchers.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

^ Fair enough if that's their aim - but they didn't go over too well @ POW the other week.

"Sneaker pimpin' ain't easy
Believe me -
Weapon X and Ken Heezy,
For Sheezy..."

:lol:

Honestly, I don't know if they're takin' the piss or not.

PS: I should add that these guys (X and Hell) have awesome skills, I'm not disputing that at all. But it's hard for Oz hip-hop to cement itself within the Australian Music scene with these fake accents.

Because, IMO - the Oz accent in hip-hop is a harsh thing to listen to at first - cause it's harsh, abrupt and different to what the public are used to. Only way to conquer that - is to keep pushing it out there and exposing people to it. Using US accents is a backwards step IMO - but that's just my opinion, feel free to disagree with me.
Focus

Post by Focus »

ShiKung wrote:Fuck being an Australian MC right now, you guys tear them to shreads and force them to sound certain ways.
There isn't a huge amount of pressure. Weapon X has been around for a long time, long before aussie hip hop was big. Now that its more established its not like there is guys rapping in an yank accent and feeling pressued or looked down because of this. The fact is most of the guys doing the yank accent OZ mc's and NZ included often talk about subjects that US rappers talk about and deliver it in a way that only US mc's do. Its a complete rip off. An imo emulating US stuff is holding back aussie mc's because the people they emulate are often just commercial US hip hop bling bling and bitches shit.
Prontoid

Post by Prontoid »

Direktor wrote:Totally do not agree.

You are NOT expressing YOURSELF if you are trying to sound like something you are NOT.
What a farce!
Weapon X and Ken Hell certainly do sound yank to me. I've got their mixtape, I've seen their film-clips and I've seen them live...

It's so ironic when you get people rapping in Yank accents, talkin' about "keepin it real etc".... :lol:

Just my thoughts - and I think you'll find they're echoed by the majority of people in the Oz hip-hop scene.
well they are expressing themselves coz they are people who want to sound yank - ive known them for years and they have always been completely obsessed with the US culture - whether or not you think it sounds good or the image appeals to you is completely subjective -

*note I dont think THEY know whether they are taking the piss or not - they've sorta become charicatures of what they were 5 years ago...

and yer i dont think much of there music but i just dont listen to them or follow what they do so I dont really care about em
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Focus wrote:
ShiKung wrote:Fuck being an Australian MC right now, you guys tear them to shreads and force them to sound certain ways.
There isn't a huge amount of pressure. Weapon X has been around for a long time, long before aussie hip hop was big. Now that its more established its not like there is guys rapping in an yank accent and feeling pressued or looked down because of this. The fact is most of the guys doing the yank accent OZ mc's and NZ included often talk about subjects that US rappers talk about and deliver it in a way that only US mc's do. Its a complete rip off. An imo emulating US stuff is holding back aussie mc's because the people they emulate are often just commercial US hip hop bling bling and bitches shit.
'ken oath my son!! :D -- and good points above Prontoid.
Prontoid

Post by Prontoid »

Focus wrote: An imo emulating US stuff is holding back aussie mc's because the people they emulate are often just commercial US hip hop bling bling and bitches shit.

I actually think its kids emulating the Australian hiphop thats holding us back - everyones an LC rip or a Mantra rip or a Hilltop rip - no ones coming with something absolutely fresh - what you said is true though I mean guys like Figgkid or Weapon X and Ken Hell are never gonna blow up the way they imagine in there minds coz there competing against American artists and theres no way in hell you can legitimately do that - also targetting a fickle 14 yr old market is not going to work in this country
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

^^ gotta start from somewhere though dude.

I reckon the Oz hip-hop scene will explode over the next 5yrs (compared to where it is now)...

Well, here's hoping anyway!
Prontoid

Post by Prontoid »

Your right I mean thats not a massive problem - I just find its common for one dude to discover a sick style that works in our accent and then alot of other people try to copy it - but i guess that also happened alot in the states also and the ones with the weaker styles get fazed out -
Im thinkin' three carots on every tooth
Focus

Post by Focus »

Prontoid wrote:
Focus wrote: An imo emulating US stuff is holding back aussie mc's because the people they emulate are often just commercial US hip hop bling bling and bitches shit.

I actually think its kids emulating the Australian hiphop thats holding us back - everyones an LC rip or a Mantra rip or a Hilltop rip - no ones coming with something absolutely fresh - what you said is true though I mean guys like Figgkid or Weapon X and Ken Hell are never gonna blow up the way they imagine in there minds coz there competing against American artists and theres no way in hell you can legitimately do that - also targetting a fickle 14 yr old market is not going to work in this country
When it comes down to it everything is emulated some just not as blatently. But i do agree on what you say about everyone being an LC rip etc. But there are some exeptions and i spose we emulate what we like and respect, its just apart of human nature.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

^ yup, totally agree with what both of you have said
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

hip hop locally won't blow up for a basic fact - hip hop fans don't buy albums/singles ... they like mixtapes (like Blazin') and that's about it.

even fuck off US acts that have sold 10,000,000+ records get no marketing attention here as rnb isn't very profitable for a record label in this market.

So if they can't make good cash off a Ciara/Nelly, how can they make good cash off a Phrase/Jade McRae?
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

That's a big generalisation Shep.

And I'm sure you know what you're talking about mate, but wouldn't most of this 'mixtape' market be comprised of young lil' teenie-boppers?
I'd think REAL fans of hip-hop would love their albums, be it vinyl or CD -- I mean, I know I do.
And if more people continue to be exposed to Oz hip-hop (through JJJ etc), it stands to reason that the market will grow accordingly.

I reckon it'd have to be the fastest growing genre in Oz at the moment, and perhaps world wide. Mainly coz rock and it's associates are already so fucking massive, particularly in this country.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

lc
hoods
bias b
pegz
muph
diafrix
tzu
a-love
ciecmate
sometimes hyjak & torcha, but not often

really do not feel b&e, phrase, x&hell.
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

Direktor wrote:That's a big generalisation Shep.

And I'm sure you know what you're talking about mate, but wouldn't most of this 'mixtape' market be comprised of young lil' teenie-boppers?
I'd think REAL fans of hip-hop would love their albums, be it vinyl or CD -- I mean, I know I do.
And if more people continue to be exposed to Oz hip-hop (through JJJ etc), it stands to reason that the market will grow accordingly.

I reckon it'd have to be the fastest growing genre in Oz at the moment, and perhaps world wide. Mainly coz rock and it's associates are already so fucking massive, particularly in this country.
i am making a generalisation, true. I guess I'm talking about mass market consumers rather than niche stuff. That has always done well in AU and much of it has crossed over to become popular (J5 etc)
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

shepherd wrote:hip hop locally won't blow up for a basic fact - hip hop fans don't buy albums/singles ... they like mixtapes (like Blazin') and that's about it.
eh, it's far from a universal truth or anything. if you're good enough, then people will buy your lps or eps or whatever in huge volume.
So if they can't make good cash off a Ciara/Nelly, how can they make good cash off a Phrase/Jade McRae?
cynically, I guess you could say 'make them good', but eh.
Riz-One

Post by Riz-One »

its all about brad srtut.. haha hes a legend

draphts last album 'pale rider' is fuckn dope kills the who am i album.

downsyde are always killin it.

mantra is one of the best upcoming talents to come from melbz. he will be biggg!

lyrical commision are some of aussies finest..
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

ah yes, forgot about downsyde. true kings.
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

For me, the fact that I actually tell my mates back home about Oz Hip Hop now, rather than try to hide the fact, speaks volumes about the state of hip hop in this country.

When I moved here 5 years ago, most of the Oz hip hop I was shown or heard was like watching liver slide down a wall. BORING!!! Beats weren't much to write home about. Lyrics and flow weren't much better.

Mates would ask if there was a scene and I'd reply that there was a club scene, but nothing too good on the live or locally produced front. It seamed to me like all local releases were trying to keep it real to the point that anything commercial sounding was bagged.

Soon after moving here, my flatmate took me to see his friends band, Fizard, and that was my first experience with Weapon X. I thought the band was dope, their stage presence was great and their songs catchy...but the accents. It's hard for me, becuase they just sound like me. But when you talk to them after they get off stage and they sound like a Shep Bogan, it's wierd. I couldn't imagine anyone wanting to rap in another accent, but that's me and I come from the country they want to sound like they come from.

If they want to do it, go for it. I'm not some purist who feels they have to rap in the Aussie accent, but I also dont respect it. I respect their skills on the mic, because Weapon X, and guys like him, can flow...no doubt. And Weapon X on the production tip goes without saying...he's the man.

If he want's to rap in an American accent, that's his perogative. Is it helping his career, it appears so. Is it helping Oz hip hip, no way. If we didn't know him, we'd probably think he was American. I wonder if their video is getting play in Europe. It'd probably do well.

But why focus on guys like Weapon X when there's so many Aussie accented hip hop releases that blow most US releases out of the water. Downsyde, Bliss'N'Eso, Hilltop Hoods, Muph, TZU, Diafrax, Caveman Science...the list goes on!!!

I love sending links to my mates in the states and some have even bought the CD's they liked them so much. Oz hip hop has gotten over the 'keepin it real' phase IMO and I'm glad it did. If dudes wanna rap in an American accent, let em. You dont have to support them with your hard earned cash, but accent or not, they got skills! You gotta admit.

GREAT THREAD!!!

8)
djboganofbeatz

Post by djboganofbeatz »

deviant wrote:True Live
Fuck dude i totally agree...did you go to there gig at alexandra gardens on friday :shock: :shock: :shock: BEST GIG EVER...crazy encore cheer...didnt work out tho!!!
Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic »

Who do I dig in Oz Hip Hop?

Plutonic Lab certainly knows how to make a beat. Plus True Live and all the Beat Science affiliates, Choi, Dan West, etc. Curse ov Dialekt have some awesome production going on. Also dig Good Buddha, though I liked them even more back in their funk-fusion years. And I don't mind Music vs Physics, mainly just because they put on a good show.

But I'd keep an eye out for my flatmate Southpaw, he's showing some real potential (and I'm not just being nice, I'm quite serious about this). Check out Milkcrate Engineering on Sundays fortnightly at Workshop.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

Special Hegg wrote:And I don't mind Music vs Physics, mainly just because they put on a good show.
:thumbup:
Focus

Post by Focus »

Direktor wrote:
'ken oath my son!!
Ken Oath's your son? Hahaha, i dont mind a bit of ken oath
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

^ I didn't even know there was a Ken Oath, I've heard of a Ken Hell - there's a Ken Oath too??? They should do a duet....

Obliveus - wise words my man. And very interesting to hear about the "accent issue" from an American's viewpoint.
sneaky hands

Post by sneaky hands »

the funny thing is that ken oath and ken hell are from the absolute opposite ends of the spectrum...Ken oath is a QLD mc in the same vein as brothers stoney, you dont get much more ocker than this bloke.
ShiKung

Post by ShiKung »

I've just heard alot of MC's that sound like they are over doing the Aussie Accent, thou. Thats what I was getting at. Since the accent is such a big issue in this country I've heard dudes rap in a broader Aussie Accent than how they talk. (i generally find the aussie accent a bit hard to pick in my crew between OZ and NZ and quite often get it wrong).

Now if a dude is consciously worried about the inflection on the words that he is saying rather than getting out the flow he wants to say to raise a valid artistic point, he is going to be a little restricted in the honest representation of his soul up on stage!

Thats just how I see it.

I've been a little removed from NZ's scene in for awhile but I have never heard much of anything about a debate like this in NZ. Something is good or whack! I guess there are also quite a few different accents ethnicly in NZ, something that I think doesnt get understood by people over here dissing out NZ rappers for their accent. There is a noticeable difference between Samoan, Maori and Pakeha. And since there is so much travel betwwen the islands it also depends how long you have been in NZ. Let us not forget that half of Samoa is American.

I remember playing King Kapisi to this dude over here and he listen to my headphones for 30seconds then throws them back at me and just says "american". He didnt even listen to his flows one of the most political rappers in the world right now!! The dude is a big black dude from Samoa! Thats how he actually sounds!
Prontoid

Post by Prontoid »

So what are people's expectations of the new Hilltop LP?

I listened to the promo on Saturday and im sure it will do even better than the last (although doesnt have as catchy single as the last)
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

ShiKung wrote: Now if a dude is consciously worried about the inflection on the words that he is saying rather than getting out the flow he wants to say to raise a valid artistic point, he is going to be a little restricted in the honest representation of his soul up on stage!
Mate, he shouldn't be consciously worried if it's his natural voice - it just comes naturally, more so than putting on an accent.
Why would he be worried?
Amick

Post by Amick »

I've been listening to oz hip hop for a little while. My earliest recollection was metabassnbreath on triple j live at the wireless, blew my mind!

so who i listen to:

celsius
pegz
muph & plutonic
art of war
downsyde
bliss n eso
hilltop
(pretty much the entire obese lineup)
lc
koolism
tzu
the herd
everyone on the nodfather comp
true live - when they're playing live, recorded not as good...

that's all i can remember at the moment.

don't like phrase, drapht sounds like he's on helium, but its all about personal taste.

BTW hilltop guest programming rage was dope, so glad i recorded the whole thing on my PC.
Krispy

Post by Krispy »

There must be a solid foundation in aussie style hip hop if uncle "chop chop" read can realse an album!!!
Wich is obviously some producers idea to make some fast bucks!!!???

http://www.myspace.com/djkrispy

Word to ya mom's I came to drop bomb's

Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Yep, cost him 30K to make the album thought... WTF?
mr lob

Post by mr lob »

Equills and Diafrix kill it man and guess who is their dj? Weedhopper's own Wax Vandal. Plays some mean funk this boy.

I played before Diafrix at the Espy last nite and they were just f****** awesome, with a live percussionist, trumpet, sax, two mcs, dj and beatmaker. So funky it hurt :lol:
djboganofbeatz

Post by djboganofbeatz »

Ya ha, true live are totally awesome live..hence the name i guess, i really dig tim blake (celloists) improvisational openings for some of the songs, The band are alrounds great musicians.
I reckon these guys are prob. gonna get big with there live music, evn there recording
Lauren

Post by Lauren »

Terra Firma
tzu
Bliss n Eso
Funkoars
Adroit Effusive
Resin Dogs
Butterfingers
Hoods

:smt023
No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride.