Quote from Danger Mouse

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
great_magnet
crazy diamond

Quote from Danger Mouse

Post by great_magnet »

Danger Mouse said:

'MUSIC was better when we were kids," says Danger Mouse, which is odd coming from someone who's just made a fantastic album. But then most things about the DJ-producer are pretty strange, including Gnarls Barkley, the group he's formed with singer Cee-Lo Green, who sits nodding beside him.

"We had longer attention spans back then," Danger Mouse continues. "When we were young we had tapes, and you listened to every track. You didn't fast forward in case you overshot. And songs you didn't like turned out to be your favourites, because the album became a person. It grew on you. Now, if kids don't like the first few bars, they're gone. You've got to grab them."
:scr1pt:

Not so much on the music being better, but more so on the patience to fall in love with an album through learning to appreciate the slow burners as much as the instant favourites. The patience to appreciate a 10 - 20 minute epic and enjoy listening to it repeatedly so that you hear something different each time.

Maybe I'm getting old... :roll:
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
This ain't no foolin' around
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Good quote GM....

"I got tapes" (Flipp Dogg - 'Whiteboys')
Last edited by Direkt on Fri May 12, 2006 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mixtress

Re: Quote from Danger Mouse

Post by mixtress »

great_magnet wrote:
Danger Mouse said:

'MUSIC was better when we were kids," says Danger Mouse, which is odd coming from someone who's just made a fantastic album. But then most things about the DJ-producer are pretty strange, including Gnarls Barkley, the group he's formed with singer Cee-Lo Green, who sits nodding beside him.

"We had longer attention spans back then," Danger Mouse continues. "When we were young we had tapes, and you listened to every track. You didn't fast forward in case you overshot. And songs you didn't like turned out to be your favourites, because the album became a person. It grew on you. Now, if kids don't like the first few bars, they're gone. You've got to grab them."

Not so much on the music being better, but more so on the patience to fall in love with an album through learning to appreciate the slow burners as much as the instant favourites. The patience to appreciate a 10 - 20 minute epic and enjoy listening to it repeatedly so that you hear something different each time.

Maybe I'm getting old... :roll:

:scr1pt: x infinity

I agree...it was all about the 'ad lib to fade'. You heard EVERYTHING!!
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
great_magnet
crazy diamond

Post by great_magnet »

I even drag out my tapes to reminisce with the noise at the start and finish.

:lol:
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Totally agree. I often get pissed off with myself as i'm not as patient with music as I used to be, and as a result I know I miss out on some great musical experiences.
dust

Post by dust »

http://www.theage.com.au/news/music/gen ... 16193.html

Article in the EG on Gnarls Barkley that GM's quote comes from.

Good article. Thought kids might like to read the whole thing.

:D
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Has anyone heard the album? Worth checking? Dangerdoom was dope!
nic

Post by nic »

Now, if kids don't like the first few bars, they're gone. You've got to grab them."
Im more this way inclined, and I think I always have been. But when I do find a song I do like I kill it with a stick on repeat (case in point - Crazy).
Hep

Post by Hep »

yaeh i like the freddy and jason photo!
great_magnet
crazy diamond

Post by great_magnet »

Hardy wrote:Totally agree. I often get pissed off with myself as i'm not as patient with music as I used to be, and as a result I know I miss out on some great musical experiences.
Oath, I shit myself to tears. Maybe I should copy everything to tape.
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
nic

Post by nic »

Crazy is teh standout track I think. The rest of it didnt really bite me. (unlike dangerdoom, which I love as an album, rad)
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

take it back to the good old days of the Dix and the alike.

now those were the days.
Ob1 mixtapes, long rod stiffer than ever and plenty of pussy to go around. Mmmm MMmm Mmmm.
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

Agree with this, to a point. I am still all about 'discovering' an album :wankalert:, and the more difficult the album, the more time I will give it. Guess I am like the rat in the cage with the electric shocks and food rewards... inconsistent conditioning has me listening with patience to all sorts o' crap in the hope that I will hit on that album/song that I Have To Listen To or I Will Go Postal.

Those albums/songs tend to be the ones that take the most time.

I love that about music. Except the electric shock bit. I don't like that.

:smt055
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."
flippo

Post by flippo »

problem for me is I have access to soo much music, that its only the absolute cream of the crop that I become very farmiliar with.
calstro

Post by calstro »

I still use tapes..... :oops:
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

great album, great quote. I was having a conversation with a mate along those lines just the other day.

time to put on the "Grey Album" again.
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
spazz

Post by spazz »

I read this article today, and I am curious about these guys.

Word on the music when you were young.

I would often do the really painful thing and slowly wrote down the lyrics of my favourite songs, by rewinding/fast-forwarding, would take about 20 minutes for say a 4 minute song.

Usually the sadder songs.

This was of course if I didnt have the lyrics on the sleeve/cd. :oops:
Friday

Post by Friday »

flippo wrote:problem for me is I have access to soo much music, that its only the absolute cream of the crop that I become very farmiliar with.

i am very luck and spoilt and don't think that i take it foregranted and don't appreciated.... but... i am sent 20 + albums per week and it's hard to give them all even one proper listen let alone having time to play things over and over and really familiarise myself with it. or have time to listen to old favourites...

i miss the old days :(
gnat

Post by gnat »

Hardy wrote:Has anyone heard the album? Worth checking? Dangerdoom was dope!
Got the album off my housemate a couple of days ago. Lovin the record company kickbacks he gets :D

Crazy is defo the best track and whatever Track 5 is. The rest I could take or leave sadly becoz I LOVE 'Crazy'- best track I've heard in ages!

Also includes an interesting cover of the Femmes'Gone Daddy Gone'
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
great_magnet
crazy diamond

Post by great_magnet »

spazz wrote:I read this article today, and I am curious about these guys.

Word on the music when you were young.

I would often do the really painful thing and slowly wrote down the lyrics of my favourite songs, by rewinding/fast-forwarding, would take about 20 minutes for say a 4 minute song.

Usually the sadder songs.

This was of course if I didnt have the lyrics on the sleeve/cd. :oops:
I absolutely did the same thing, even made tapes of my own mock radio show and used to back announce tracks with amusing segues from the previous tracks. I still have a vast collection of tapes and listen to them regularly in the car.

Agreed on the difficult albums to CIA, often they are the true gems because you will suddenly listen to them in the right mindset and it all falls into place. I absolutely love that moment when a track you didn't get makes complete sense, one of the joys of music...

:geekhat:
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
deviant

Post by deviant »

You are ritht, I also used to know albums back to front and love listening to them over and over. I sometimes think that I miss it but then I just think.......

fuck it..... just let the change happen
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

Friday wrote:
flippo wrote:problem for me is I have access to soo much music, that its only the absolute cream of the crop that I become very farmiliar with.

i am very luck and spoilt and don't think that i take it foregranted and don't appreciated.... but... i am sent 20 + albums per week and it's hard to give them all even one proper listen let alone having time to play things over and over and really familiarise myself with it. or have time to listen to old favourites...

i miss the old days :(

I feel sorry for you Lucie, that must be HELL.

:teef:
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

I still get that buzz. Not so much with electronic music (still does, though) but I definitely love getting that album and listening to every track, pretty much every time. In fact, I'm still pissed if there's more than one dud track on an album.

But then I am an old fart.
The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well
lynt

Post by lynt »

The internet made humans lazy.
great_magnet
crazy diamond

Post by great_magnet »

Prog rock or STFU.
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Just listened to "Crazy". Fucking love it.

*EDIT*

This tune is SUPERB.
ShiKung

Post by ShiKung »

Times change, its how you love them that matters
Lindemon

Post by Lindemon »

calstro wrote:I still use tapes..... :oops:
Don't be embarrassed.. Me too!! & Damn proud of it!!
Ol' Skool stylez..... Plus I don't yet own a computer (this is my housemates)

You up for a tape swap?

BTW - OB, you must have a fair few of mine now...
Any chance of gettin the older one's back? time to re-record...
8)