ban on Smackng?

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
strategem

Post by strategem »

I think waaay too much is made of it. Although I would never ever get as violent with a child as my father did with me I can honestly say it has left no emotional damage, I'm not mal adjusted, i'm not a career criminal. In fact, i think my brother and i turned out pretty damn good and I deeply love and respect both my parents. I had the shit beaten out of me on a bunch of occassions, I turned out just fine.
www.acousticweaponry.com
- vinyl pressing
- audio equipment
- production management
- pyrotechnics
PahMaLa

Post by PahMaLa »

mrj wrote:
D wrote:tying. I totally agree that there should be a line drawn from discipline to abuse.
but where is that line? its an incredibely tough call and one I should think is nigh on impossible to legislate.

unless the legislation was either ludicrously prescriptive or othwerwise gave parents free reign, there really is no way a line can be established that says, this is abuse, and this is discipline.
There is no way tabs can be kept on every single new parent. You can only hope that they will be able to know the difference between abuse and discipline, bad example then saying the word line. I myself don't know where that fucken line is shess, I haven't been blessed yet to be a parent. This debate could go on till the cows come home, because face it, not every parent(s) are perfect, not every parent is going to know where to draw the line, not every parent is also go to listen to the laws laid. Et cetera et cetera.
Anyways where were we....
factory worker

Post by factory worker »

I think whatever Johnny Howards parents did was the wrong thing. and if they didn't smack him then some one should do it now. On the other hand if he did get his beats, they must of had problems with him but were too leniaent and didn't wack him hard enuff.
The best way to cure a broken heart is to give the pieces away
Rob M

Post by Rob M »

I think discipline is learned by example. If your home instills proper values -- smacking is not necessary.

I prefer the subtle mental psychological abuse approach. This is by far a greater weapon. Get inside your kids mind, and you will rule their ego.

Smacking is a form of abuse as much as psychological damage is. It's only at what level of control and excessiveness that seems to be at issue here.

This is all semantics though that hides away the real issues at play that is the cause of all issues...

Childhood Obesity, ADHD, Boredom, Depression, Childhood drugs, Red Cordial... :)

This whole thing about smacking is really a scapegoat to the more deep-seeded social issues that the government would rather not tackle or fund.

Responsibility through fun will rule a childs' world, why impede their progress by displaying your frustrations physically ... it just makes you look bad, not in control and show that you don't love[\i] your kid.

Young kids turn into poor adults in later life because of the misgivings of their parents who have no value -- but values that of pety individuals who squabble over the most mundane shit.

Kids have to understand the consequences of choices made at an early age. Smacking doesn't give them options, it gives them misdirection and instills greater fear.
deviant

Post by deviant »

Rob M wrote: Kids have to understand the consequences of choices made at an early age. Smacking doesn't give them options, it gives them misdirection and instills greater fear.
This is true (as is the entirety of your post). I do however feel that smacking (to some degree) is acceptable. I was smacked as a child, not enough to really hurt or mame, but certainly enough to instill that what I'd done was unacceptable. Like the article states "A smack on the bum never hurt any child"...

I do not hold any animosity towards my parents for giving me "the smack".
Grey Son

Post by Grey Son »

My parents never smacked me, they just gave me smack....... :teef:
Well at least i will be the fattest guy on the street gettin a boat
HEY HEY HEY im gettin a boat!!!!
www.myspace.com/greysonsoul
mij

Post by mij »

great topic guys ! having 3 kiddies over 4 , i think the ODD tap on the bum does have its place but only in moderation & only if the parent is in control of themselves ! As in , if your the type of person who looses the plot & gets aggressive . Then you have no chance of being controlled enough to give your child a tap on the bum ! i must say , its a really uncomfortable thing for me to do & 99 out 100 times there are many other options ! :rr:
Grey Son

Post by Grey Son »

mij wrote:great topic guys ! having 3 kiddies over 4 , i think the ODD tap on the bum does have its place but only in moderation & only if the parent is in control of themselves ! As in , if your the type of person who looses the plot & gets aggressive . Then you have no chance of being controlled enough to give your child a tap on the bum ! i must say , its a really uncomfortable thing for me to do & 99 out 100 times there are many other options ! :rr:
Nice one mate. I have a 3 and 1 and 1/2 year old. Ive really only smacked my 3 year old son ( which isnt shit cause ya aim for the padded nappy anyway) when he users aggression towards his sister. Even then he just shrugs and gives the whole bottom lip thing. But if i say fuck all and act really dissapointed he really feels that he's done something wrong.
At the end of the day there only little bastards, and we are big bastards so there isnt much diff..........
Well at least i will be the fattest guy on the street gettin a boat
HEY HEY HEY im gettin a boat!!!!
www.myspace.com/greysonsoul