The Palace is closing down...

This is the forum for all things Melbourne beats. Post your gigs and other Melbourne music related information here. Keep it about the music and music only, please keep on topic.
Friday

The Palace is closing down...

Post by Friday »

It's been coming for a long time but it looks like this is finally it for The Palace...

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/ ... 49051.html
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

:shock: bye bye to a good portion of my teens and twenties spent in that cavern.
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Christ! This means all the fuckwits who are safely contained there every Saturday at Twister are going to be loose on the streets!
Jinx

Post by Jinx »

and Bass station ferals will have to find a new home
Stray

Post by Stray »

Hardy wrote:Christ! This means all the fuckwits who are safely contained there every Saturday at Twister are going to be loose on the streets!
Not to mention the big brother rejects!
deviant

Post by deviant »

I never liked the palace.... It had sooo much potential but I thought it was generally pretty shit.
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

ugly building and an average venue - i could understand ppl being upset if the espy closed down but the palace was a pretty shit venue that scored so many gigs by virtue of being the only player in the 1000-1500 capacity space.
Friday

Post by Friday »

shepherd wrote:ugly building and an average venue - i could understand ppl being upset if the espy closed down but the palace was a pretty shit venue that scored so many gigs by virtue of being the only player in the 1000-1500 capacity space.
same way i feel about it basically. but the other options in that capacity range are metro and possibly qbh and the palace would be my first preference out of those three....
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Stray wrote:
Hardy wrote:Christ! This means all the fuckwits who are safely contained there every Saturday at Twister are going to be loose on the streets!
Not to mention the big brother rejects!
Get your shotguns drawn people... things are about to get ugly on the streets of Melbourne
Andrez

Post by Andrez »

...zounds... good luck!!

:wink:
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

I don't see any problem.

Got to see most of the winning presentation the other day, all the developments look dope.

Really really really good for the area.
Don't hate me for house
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

Friday wrote:
shepherd wrote:ugly building and an average venue - i could understand ppl being upset if the espy closed down but the palace was a pretty shit venue that scored so many gigs by virtue of being the only player in the 1000-1500 capacity space.
same way i feel about it basically. but the other options in that capacity range are metro and possibly qbh and the palace would be my first preference out of those three....

really? i reckon Metro and qbh are pretty rad venues.
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

lzikins - metro is good but the main room really has max capacity of about 1100 comfortably

QBH - not sure what it's like now ... used to seem a bit odd.
nic

Post by nic »

jbs wrote:I don't see any problem.

Got to see most of the winning presentation the other day, all the developments look dope.

Really really really good for the area.
by the time that proposal is 'rationalized' there will be no public space and a token tree. ARM are good but the massive commercial pressure will fold most of the 'public realm' features initially flaunted.

anything is better than the palace however, filth. just keep it low and walkable
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

shepherd wrote:lzikins - metro is good but the main room really has max capacity of about 1100 comfortably

QBH - not sure what it's like now ... used to seem a bit odd.

Yeah but it has levels, and so does QBH. So you can still see down to the main DJ booth.

though it has been a while since i have been to both venues...