aaaahhhhhhhh good times.

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

great_magnet wrote:I'm all for the Fractured format happening again, for me breaks and dnb go hand in hand.

The best parties I've been to recently are the ones when you get a taste of both and the different buzz that the different sounds give. I loved going to 33 1/3 and catching some fat Plumps basslines, then running to Gershwin to get pummelled by Andy C, then back to the car park for BLIM and some quality menacing breakbeat.

Beat.aid was another classic example, seeing Melbourne's finest live breaks exponents and then catching the Kombat Bass boys tearing it up. Different dance floor vibe (which I love), but same energy.

It would be seriously great to see some cross-genre pollinisation happening. Is there any reason why we can't take the whole Melbourne Breaks Unites concept to the next level and get a Melbourne Beats Unites party on the table???
Ohh Ah!
Don't hate me for house
great_magnet
crazy diamond

Post by great_magnet »

:melbournebeatsunites:

8)
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
This ain't no foolin' around
Guyno

Post by Guyno »

fikuss wrote:
stovequeen wrote:
killeye wrote: meeting one very friendly super chick SQ at scu one night :wink:
ahhhh, those were they dayz hey :D . Sat nights at scu were the badness. 8)
apparently i was there too :shock: so i'm told.... funniest part was when fred used to fall asleep in front of a speaker which was reefed to the llmit week after week
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

How many Saturday nights did we have to deal with our friendly neighbourhood cops dropping by to ask us to turn the volume down a couple of hundred decibels. They were always super cool about it though. :wink:

Big ups to the Liquor licence coppers for being straight up decent dudes!

Thank fuckery they never asked to see the back room :smt118 :smt118 :smt118 or right now I'd be sharing a room with a big black dude called 'Bubba' and his soap on a rope called 'Chokko'! :shock:

Aaaaaaaah the good ol days.
Last edited by Guyno on Wed May 18, 2005 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SoulWhiteMan

Post by SoulWhiteMan »

I live in Geelong (shut up!)
so I do not get to frequent clubs as much as I would like to.
But I would have to say that Future Funk Squad at bannana lounge was awesome....
Just the sense that it was on a Tuesday night, able to see my favourite producer and there was ABSOLUTELY no pretense about the place. Just a tuesday night to get on it, and dance to fantastic beats.
The lack of pretense in Breaks is easily the scenes strongest point.
(besides the music etc etc.)
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

great_magnet wrote::melbournebeatsunites:

8)
RA!
Don't hate me for house
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

SoulWhiteMan wrote: The lack of pretense in Breaks is easily the scenes strongest point.
(besides the music etc etc.)
:lighter:
Don't hate me for house
Guyno

Post by Guyno »

great_magnet wrote:I'm all for the Fractured format happening again, for me breaks and dnb go hand in hand.

The best parties I've been to recently are the ones when you get a taste of both and the different buzz that the different sounds give. I loved going to 33 1/3 and catching some fat Plumps basslines, then running to Gershwin to get pummelled by Andy C, then back to the car park for BLIM and some quality menacing breakbeat.

Beat.aid was another classic example, seeing Melbourne's finest live breaks exponents and then catching the Kombat Bass boys tearing it up. Different dance floor vibe (which I love), but same energy.

It would be seriously great to see some cross-genre pollinisation happening. Is there any reason why we can't take the whole Melbourne Breaks Unites concept to the next level and get a Melbourne Beats Unites party on the table???
That's a pretty tops idea GM. Melbourne beats Unite. 8)

I guess from previous experience the only thing I'd have to say is that imo each sound would have to have their own room. Their is always going to be a substantial amount of genre purists that wouldn't allow for it to work any other way and with the exception of BeatAid I can't think of any night in Melbourne that has worked outside of these parameters. Albeit it could be done easily enough and I know the perfect venue for it. :lol: :wink:
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

great_magnet wrote::melbournebeatsunites:

8)
leave it with me... i'm going to look into it, I think it's a great idea!
great_magnet
crazy diamond

Post by great_magnet »

Cheers boys, I understand the limitations and there will always be genre purists who will bag it, but I would like to think (being a dreamer and an optimist) that Melbourne Beats is an example of the fact that breaks and dnb can exist in harmony and can even share a bed occasionally.

Agreed on the different rooms, but surely the passion and the no-bullshit vibe of most of the peeps on this site is indicative of the fact that there is an opportunity to be explored.

I reckon a lot of heads would be supremely interested in this....

:D
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
mizuhodai

Post by mizuhodai »

i have fond memories when i was 14 or 15 going to a rock club in Burnly called the Central Club....there were bands of the likes of spiderbait, One Inch Punch, Body Jar etc.

It used to be ace, the owner was a real chilled guy and he used to let people smoke dope in there. But it only went from 1 till 6pm. and i always missed the last set because i had to be home by 6, hence i had to leave at 5 to get home by 6, coz my mum though i was just at freinds places heheheheheh

And i reflect fondly back on the lounge, deep 11, tekstep and groovetherapy classic times and classic memories!!!!!
"Are we there yet"?
"Soon enough!"
"That's not soon enough"
Guyno

Post by Guyno »

great_magnet wrote:Cheers boys, I understand the limitations and there will always be genre purists who will bag it, but I would like to think (being a dreamer and an optimist) that Melbourne Beats is an example of the fact that breaks and dnb can exist in harmony and can even share a bed occasionally.

Agreed on the different rooms, but surely the passion and the no-bullshit vibe of most of the peeps on this site is indicative of the fact that there is an opportunity to be explored.

I reckon a lot of heads would be supremely interested in this....

:D
Agreed totally GM. :smt023
almax

Post by almax »

i think a few key elements to the success of such a night would have to be
1) good venue, with beer on tap (for the cheapskates like me) convienient location, Good Sound system with lots of different little nooks and crannies and couches, two main rooms would be ample.
2)I think keeping it an all local lineup would be best and have different lineups each week, there is enough talent in melbourne Djs these days to accomodate this, plus new faces keeps it fresh and interesting.
3)did i mention tap beer
4)and crack :roll:
5)Cover price around $10 max

i cant think of anymore atm, over to you
Guyno

Post by Guyno »

almax wrote:i think a few key elements to the success of such a night would have to be
1) good venue, with beer on tap (for the cheapskates like me) convienient location, Good Sound system with lots of different little nooks and crannies and couches, two main rooms would be ample.
2)I think keeping it an all local lineup would be best and have different lineups each week, there is enough talent in melbourne Djs these days to accomodate this, plus new faces keeps it fresh and interesting.
3)did i mention tap beer
4)and crack :roll:
5)Cover price around $10 max

i cant think of anymore atm, over to you
Heya Almax. The venue I'm thinking of can cover all of the elements you've mentioned and I'm pretty sure we could push the crack thing through too. 8)
almax

Post by almax »

oh and since most of the internatty come out on a friday, have it on a saturday night so that it can almost be like a recovery.
almax

Post by almax »

count me in then, lemme guess, colonial? that is a dope venue
Guyno

Post by Guyno »

almax wrote:count me in then, lemme guess, colonial? that is a dope venue
crazy powers of perception dude. :smt023 and yeah, tis a dope venue, dope sound, tap beer, lotsa nooks n crannies, two main rooms with a third side room and super cool management and owners that actually work with their promoters. What more could one ask for? :D
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

Suggestion from the back of the bus:

Warehouse?????
Guyno

Post by Guyno »

Lil MiSbreaks wrote:Suggestion from the back of the bus:

Warehouse?????
You got something specific in mind Sammy???

Warehouses are cool but obviously take a fuck load more organising in terms of equipment and liquor licencing etc.....
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

Not specifically, but its funny was kinda talking bout dis with another MB dude today! Spooky.

Im really really bored at the moment and would be totally up for doing a heap of gary ground work if need be.

Should we at least look at some options?? Re-phrase, I can look at some..... Not downgrading the alley in any way, but a warehouse would just be thorpee style sick.
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

Guyno wrote:
crazy powers of perception dude. :smt023 and yeah, tis a dope venue, dope sound, tap beer, lotsa nooks n crannies, two main rooms with a third side room and super cool management and owners that actually work with their promoters. What more could one ask for? :D
Love the alley, Guyno, but it really seems that everything I go to these days, is at brwon alley. Being such a top notch venue with great management, it's popularity is no surprise but variety of space is also important IMO.
The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well
Guyno

Post by Guyno »

Agreed w/hous would be fully sick.

Would be bonza if you wanna maybe check out some options. If you're up for it that is???
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Guyno wrote:Agreed w/hous would be fully sick.

Would be bonza if you wanna maybe check out some options. If you're up for it that is???
Warehouse would rock.

Has anyone ever done a one price / multiple venue party in M-Town?
Don't hate me for house
great_magnet
crazy diamond

Post by great_magnet »

quiet roar wrote:
Guyno wrote:
Love the alley, Guyno, but it really seems that everything I go to these days, is at brwon alley. Being such a top notch venue with great management, it's popularity is no surprise but variety of space is also important IMO.
I agree with Mr Roar, as much as I love the Alley, one of the things that makes each party special is the subtle differences in the location. Variety is the spice of life and all that....
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

Guyno wrote:Agreed w/hous would be fully sick.

Mate, im as up as a junkie after a full shaft. So thats a yes by the way

Keep me out of trubs, he he.
Guyno

Post by Guyno »

quiet roar wrote:
Guyno wrote:
Fair point mate. Problem is BA delivers on every front which is as you mentioned why everything is on at the alley these days. :? :wink:
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

Lil MiSbreaks wrote:Im really really bored at the moment and would be totally up for doing a heap of gary ground work if need be.

I'm gonna need your help soon Sammy Girl, for a new weekly party. Can't say too much right now, but GM and I are working out the details tonight so will let ya know :wink:
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
lilstormer

Post by lilstormer »

I like the wharehouse idea, with loads of decorations etc, would be great.

You go girl :smt041
Free to those that can afford it, very expensive to those that can't.
Guyno

Post by Guyno »

great_magnet wrote:
quiet roar wrote:
Guyno wrote: crazy powers of perception dude. :smt023 and yeah, tis a dope venue, dope sound, tap beer, lotsa nooks n crannies, two main rooms with a third side room and super cool management and owners that actually work with their promoters. What more could one ask for? :D
I agree with Mr Roar, as much as I love the Alley, one of the things that makes each party special is the subtle differences in the location. Variety is the spice of life and all that....
If anyone can come up with a viable option I'm all ears. :D

Nothing better than tantalising all the sences in a totally new environment.
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

bRb: shouldn't you be working on bringing back a monthly party? :)
The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well
great_magnet
crazy diamond

Post by great_magnet »

As long as it's not a wherehouse... :wink:
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

quiet roar wrote:bRb: shouldn't you be working on bringing back a monthly party? :)

keep your eyes and ears peeled for 'Quality Control' :wink:
Guyno

Post by Guyno »

breaksRbest wrote:
quiet roar wrote:bRb: shouldn't you be working on bringing back a monthly party? :)

keep your eyes and ears peeled for 'Quality Control' :wink:
Love yer werx BrB. :wink:
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

breaksRbest wrote:
Lil MiSbreaks wrote:Im really really bored at the moment and would be totally up for doing a heap of gary ground work if need be.

I'm gonna need your help soon Sammy Girl, for a new weekly party. Can't say too much right now, but GM and I are working out the details tonight so will let ya know :wink:
You got any help i can give you mate... :wink:
great_magnet
crazy diamond

Post by great_magnet »

who likes kittens?
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

Llama's like kittens :lol:
great_magnet
crazy diamond

Post by great_magnet »

:lol:

:cid:
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

Only if their mushed in a ball all at once
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

my oath keep your eyes and ears peeled for Quality Control!!!

It's gunna be huge
great_magnet
crazy diamond

Post by great_magnet »

Feigan wrote:my oath keep your eyes and ears peeled for Quality Control!!!

It's gunna be huge
Heard nothing but good things Scott!!

:lol: @ LMB
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

Lil MiSbreaks wrote:Only if their mushed in a ball all at once

:smt044 :smt043

so farken wrong
Guyno

Post by Guyno »

I like cats.

Look how cute he is. :lol:

RMHC

Post by RMHC »

a good party would be,

breaks
dnb
electroandotherwierdness

three scenes unite

i would uber happy with that :lol:

uber happy... ahahahahahahahaha
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

and Jungle..... :D
great_magnet
crazy diamond

Post by great_magnet »

Guyno wrote:I like cats.

Look how cute he is. :lol:

what cat?
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
KAmis

Re: aaaahhhhhhhh good times.

Post by KAmis »

breaksRbest wrote:hahahahaha, there's some GOLDEN photos in there :lol:
still my fav club toilets..

soo many sessions in there
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

hey k-man!!

yep, definately the best club toilets in Melbourne.

sessions of all sorts were held in those toilets :wink:
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

GUY

The venue is staring you straight in the face bro. been i long time since i been there. I love it.. and i reckon the baby monitor would work from there too :wink:
great_magnet
crazy diamond

Post by great_magnet »

andycole23_steve wrote:I personally think breaks and jungle should be kept apart.

I think if it was a split room situation, drum&bass would get shafted into a back room. We are the minority, its bound to happen.

I do like the idea of having the two groups together, lets be honest...theres more gals at breaks gigs and it makes dnb a bit less of a sausage festa. But the thing is, i come to hear drum&bass cause you just cant hear it anywhere else, you can hear breaks tunes bein dropped with house at any fancy chapel st club (and look im not saying there isnt a deeper, darker side to breaks that isnt being represented by the heads.)

Im not really into breaks+dnb internationals together. The cost is bound to go up, like Zinc / Klute / Freq Nasty. Im sure having Freq Nasty +Video Experience( :roll: at video experience) would have raised the price of tickets.

With Zinc & Klute on the bill, im sure the dnb crew couldve filled the place with as many people as freq without payin extra for him. On the flipside, the place seemed to empty out a fair bit when Freq got off and Zinc got up...im guesisng the majority of people leaving wouldve been breaks heads, is it fair to make breaks purist or ppl not into jungle pay for dnb djs?

I think local breaks with dnb parties might work, but i cant really see the dnb crew being as ethusiastic as the breaks lot seems to be about together.

-steve
Some good points there Steve, but having experienced both genres, I reckon the darker, harder side of breaks would sit with certain elements of dnb/jungle and on the other tip the lighter end of the breaks spectrum (much like what Lucas and Lynt play at Black Cat) could sit well with the liquid end of the spectrum.

It's all about education really....

I agree that the local scene is where it could happen, it's really all about finding the sounds that mesh.

:lol: @ sausage festa....
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
Guyno

Post by Guyno »

stovequeen wrote:GUY

The venue is staring you straight in the face bro. been i long time since i been there. I love it.. and i reckon the baby monitor would work from there too :wink:
Faaaaaaaark yeah SQ. Didn't even think of that. Dope venue, dope sound, warehouse stylez, good baby monitor range and liquor etc.. already sorted AND to top it off their is hardly ever any DnB or breaks gigs there. Too Cool!!!!!!

You're a genius babe! :smt058
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

Guyno wrote:
stovequeen wrote:GUY

Faaaaaaaark yeah SQ. Didn't even think of that. Dope venue, dope sound, warehouse stylez, good baby monitor range and liquor etc.. already sorted AND to top it off their is hardly ever any DnB or breaks gigs there. Too Cool!!!!!!

You're a genius babe! :smt058
NP.. we talk tomorrow night. cant wait to catch up :D