aaaahhhhhhhh good times.

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

dnb was always treated as an equal brother to breaks at Fractured

a slightly uglier brother, but still equal :wink:
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
lucas
emission reductionist

Post by lucas »

breaksRbest wrote:dnb was always treated as an equal brother to breaks at Fractured

Ugly and roudy brb, ugly and roudy. :D
great_magnet
crazy diamond

Post by great_magnet »

andycole23_steve wrote:
great_magnet wrote:
andycole23_steve wrote:I personally think breaks and jungle should be kept apart.

I think if it was a split room situation, drum&bass would get shafted into a back room. We are the minority, its bound to happen.

I do like the idea of having the two groups together, lets be honest...theres more gals at breaks gigs and it makes dnb a bit less of a sausage festa. But the thing is, i come to hear drum&bass cause you just cant hear it anywhere else, you can hear breaks tunes bein dropped with house at any fancy chapel st club (and look im not saying there isnt a deeper, darker side to breaks that isnt being represented by the heads.)

Im not really into breaks+dnb internationals together. The cost is bound to go up, like Zinc / Klute / Freq Nasty. Im sure having Freq Nasty +Video Experience( :roll: at video experience) would have raised the price of tickets.

With Zinc & Klute on the bill, im sure the dnb crew couldve filled the place with as many people as freq without payin extra for him. On the flipside, the place seemed to empty out a fair bit when Freq got off and Zinc got up...im guesisng the majority of people leaving wouldve been breaks heads, is it fair to make breaks purist or ppl not into jungle pay for dnb djs?

I think local breaks with dnb parties might work, but i cant really see the dnb crew being as ethusiastic as the breaks lot seems to be about together.

-steve
Some good points there Steve, but having experienced both genres, I reckon the darker, harder side of breaks would sit with certain elements of dnb/jungle and on the other tip the lighter end of the breaks spectrum (much like what Lucas and Lynt play at Black Cat) could sit well with the liquid end of the spectrum.

It's all about education really....

I agree that the local scene is where it could happen, it's really all about finding the sounds that mesh.

:lol: @ sausage festa....
Yea completely, education is key....can you link me to any ragga type dubby breaks?

Just an example of what i think would happen
....look what happened after the boat cruise.

The breaks crew got priority of the main part of the club.

While the jungle crew were upstairs with a monitor at either end of the room, which kept cutting out every 5mins. No bar. Basically, all run down place where they were storing all the junk and spare speakers that didnt fit downstairs. :?

I think the vibe is, dnb is and always has been an outcast and we are happy with purist parties....but i cant speak for everyone and am not trying to.

thanks for not shooting me down GM :smt023
For sure man, would love to!! No point shooting you down, every opinion is equal and valid... no one's taste is better or more important than anyone elses...

There is heaps of ragga influence breaks I would recommend, in particular Aquasky vs Masterblaster, there's a whole heap of individual tracks, check out Joe Ransom's Fabriclive 20 compo, lots of dirty, dubby ragga influenced breakbeat. I'll have a think and get back to ya...

I'll get some links if I can... 8)
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
This ain't no foolin' around
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

stovequeen wrote:GUY

The venue is staring you straight in the face bro. been i long time since i been there. I love it.. and i reckon the baby monitor would work from there too :wink:
I think I heard they don't want regular parties though.

Actually Guyno, wasn't it you that told me that?
The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

great_magnet wrote: every opinion is equal and valid... no one's taste is better or more important than anyone elses...
Easy to say when you're talking to someone who likes DnB. I'd like to see you being so diplomatic with someone praising RnB or some other rot :wink:
The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well
Guyno

Post by Guyno »

quiet roar wrote:
stovequeen wrote:GUY

The venue is staring you straight in the face bro. been i long time since i been there. I love it.. and i reckon the baby monitor would work from there too :wink:
I think I heard they don't want regular parties though.

Actually Guyno, wasn't it you that told me that?
Yeah Rob, probably was but I think we are just talking about more of a one off Melb Beats Unite kinda gig. (though the conversation did split off for a bit there.) For that it'd be perfect but they definately won't do weekly and more than likely not even a monthly.
KAmis

Post by KAmis »

breaksRbest wrote:hey k-man!!

yep, definately the best club toilets in Melbourne.

sessions of all sorts were held in those toilets :wink:
g'day negro
catch you friday night : ) back for 3 days..
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

lucas wrote:
breaksRbest wrote:dnb was always treated as an equal brother to breaks at Fractured

Ugly and roudy brb, ugly and roudy. :D
rowdy is a way of life. :D
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

Direktor wrote:
sAm0 wrote: yeah dude i am mates with cliff and jimmy so always went along to show support... actually direktor ur direkt arnt u... u used to play first up ey..
think we have met a few times..

Yeah, i used to open the night up, are you the dude that works out in the skate shop, at the back of RMIT?

-----------------------------
Also on the flashback trail:
*My first 33 1/3, Freestylers @ POW -- wikkid gig with wikkid mates!!!
*Def. Roni Size and Dynamite @ Gatecrasher, loved it. De La Soul finish, pretty much everyone leaves and the dedicated d'n'b heads rinse it out!
*Ol' skool Beats Working parties @ Laundry, to quote the Dennis Denuto: "It's just the vibe"
the one and only
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

was just think balistics wasnt first ever party i went to.. soul of man at lounge was.. that was such a wickid night... think shepard played after soul of man.. and that rmx of he's not in.. or she's not in.. got played heaps.. if my memory serves me right
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

:smt033
Last edited by Lil MiSbreaks on Wed May 18, 2005 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spazz

Post by spazz »

Sunnyside up days at Billboard then that blinder at the Paladin.............I danced with the gods that day as the sun came up. 8)
spazz

Post by spazz »

fikuss wrote:Soulaar @ Lounge

Just Rite @ Scubar

the Groove Therapy and Tekstep days are sorely missed too
Yeah the first two are definately honourable mentions. BOH!
DEAN G

Post by DEAN G »

spazz wrote:Sunnyside up days at Billboard then that blinder at the Paladin.............I danced with the gods that day as the sun came up. 8)
& Rosarios (?) on Flinders Lane, what mind bending parties they were.
on tour

Post by on tour »

wanted to read the whole thread but my time is limited in this cafe. actually its about to end so i'm going to drop my 2 cents in anyway...

Outdoor parties rocked it for me and continuously keep flooding my memory banks... maybe its the acid that keeps floolding through, i don't know but all the ones i have partied at and all the ones i have played will forever live on in my head and those that were there with me.

Tekstep will because they were my first major gigs and they set the standard for systems. Even though he has dropped off over years i big up Sean for putting in so much fuckin effort into the acoustics of his gigs. Most could learn a thing or two. And Groove Therapies were all messy affairs. So much fun.

But as far as dnb goes the best fun i have ever had was with the Rux in the early days of realtime / 40hz and the poster missions we used to get up to. All nighters were madfun bro. Perhaps we could do it all again when i get back, just for the fuck of it!