The Travel Thread

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
ghetto kitty

Re: The Travel Thread

Post by ghetto kitty »

Oh. Im dufus.

:lol:
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

witty_pseudonym wrote:Will be there 13th - 31st May Quickalicious! :D

edit: fuck me flying from bangers to siem reap is expensive! definitely won't be able to afford that. :(
Buying airline tickets is way cheaper from Thailand. Go to the TAC for assistance but don't book them through them as they charge a levy as well.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

Right! Thats is. Going to need a holiday in late October / early November.

Me and the fiance - a beach, no party required.

Thailand? deserted island styles?

MB.C - one stop shop for all my needs today lol.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Are not many deserted islands in thailand anymore.
could go south coast vietnam, some gorgeous cheap accom off coast of cambodia, hella cheap and lush islands off KK in borneo.

if you can still get cheap flights on Air Asis to KL, then I'd choose Borneo.
There was one place, and i said to the crew ' i am not planning on it right now, but if i ever get married, my honeymoon is HERE"
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Looking for cheap flights to UK and return. Price eems to depend on which days a re chosen. Need an option to work out cheapest days to fly within a given times frame.
gnat

Post by gnat »

north kho phangan in thailand could be an option also

bottle beach kitty bottle beach!
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

DBoy wrote:Right! Thats is. Going to need a holiday in late October / early November.

Me and the fiance - a beach, no party required.

Thailand? deserted island styles?

MB.C - one stop shop for all my needs today lol.

I found sub $500 return including taxes flights to Thailiand in November the other day on that website.

Cheap as chups!
Don't hate me for house
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

gnat wrote:north kho phangan in thailand could be an option also

bottle beach kitty bottle beach!
okay i stand corrected. Bottle beach is absolutely gorgeous. Lush, and perfect for couples.

BUT Kho Phangan is not really a deserted island, hello full moon parties where tourists die quietly on too many shrooms in the water every month without fail.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

which website Jammmmmmmes?

Maybe not deserted island but nice resort for lovey couple would be best.

What do you mean "anymore" kitty - was there destered islands there when you used to go there back in the day?

I have not been to S.E.Asia before, shame i dont have more time.

We are thinking of just a 10 escape, by time you have days travel at each end its only 7 days so 10 it is.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

http://www.dohop.com/#a1=MEL&a2=DMK,BKK ... &d2=151109

Sub $600, after mucking round I eventually did get just below $500

You just have to fiddle.
Don't hate me for house
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

I just mean everywhere in SE Asia is becoming tourist trail, you really need time and effort to get off the 'track'
but everywhere is the same, thailand is just #1 cheap beach destination for Aussies/europeans/yanks etc.

If you only have 10 days then thialand, small island and coupley resort is def doable. Can fly to Phuket and go right to islands, dont go through bangers unless you want a dose of big crazy amazing polluted asian city!
But I still say check out flights to KL, then to KK in Borneo, cos the islands there are a 20 minute boat ride from KK city,
and they truly are small, tropical oasis with very cheap lovey dovey resorts too! Nothing to do but drink beer, go snorkelling and then back to bed ;)
gnat

Post by gnat »

hmmm bottle beach is a good hour's jungle drive from beach doof and then a boatride

if you want resort d, could do bali- far far from kuta the shithole of the world. nusa dua or jinbaran bay.. always special deals..
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

Anywhere that has good surf?
deviant

Post by deviant »

How much does everyone here spend on an OS holiday? not wanting in and outs etc... just wanna know how much I should be aiming at saving for various destinations... My Japanese adventure last year was :shock: exxy, but I'd like to go OS soon without spending so much coin.
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

India was cheap - Besides the ticket price I actually spent less than I would have if i had been in melbourne the whole time. That was including some domestic fares and an overnight stay on a houseboat...
gnat

Post by gnat »

DBoy wrote:Anywhere that has good surf?
uluwatu in bali but limited options for lux accom i think.. plenty of little huts though
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

deviant wrote:How much does everyone here spend on an OS holiday? not wanting in and outs etc... just wanna know how much I should be aiming at saving for various destinations... My Japanese adventure last year was :shock: exxy, but I'd like to go OS soon without spending so much coin.
I'm wondering the same except I fear that even with accommodation in UK, I'm gonna be fucked for cash to sue for spending money.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

deviant wrote:How much does everyone here spend on an OS holiday? not wanting in and outs etc... just wanna know how much I should be aiming at saving for various destinations... My Japanese adventure last year was :shock: exxy, but I'd like to go OS soon without spending so much coin.
How much did Japan for a month cost you roughly Dan? I has ticket for feb but not sure if i can afford to go alone now...

I usually spend between $3k -$4k for 3-4 weeks, including airfares, but thats going to SE Asian countries.....
retzie

Post by retzie »

Where are you looking to go, Dan?

I don't really 'budget' my trips, but I reckon I still get them in pretty cheap. Accommodation: I've been doing lots of sublets and similar. If you're trying for anywhere in North America (and increasingly, everywhere else), Craigslist is your friend (watch for scams, though). It's especially good if you stay in one place for a while and if you can set yourself up with a kitchen, your daily costs drop right down too. I have also recently discovered Airbnb, which is pretty rad. The bigger and trendier the city, the more awesome it has to offer. Have done San Fran, will do LA in a bit :)

Of course, there's always a couch in Oklahoma for you :teef:
deviant wrote:I'm some sort of man-machine.
deviant

Post by deviant »

ghetto kitty wrote:
How much did Japan for a month cost you roughly Dan? I has ticket for feb but not sure if i can afford to go alone now...

I usually spend between $3k -$4k for 3-4 weeks, including airfares, but thats going to SE Asian countries.....
probably over double that each tbh... we went silly with shopping and stuff though. exchange rate is heaps better at the moment too.
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

25k was my last trip. 8 weeks..

all depends where you wanna go & what u wanna do i spose..
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

:shock:

full on. will be way more exp on my own too.

so, anyone want cheap ticket to Japan in End of Feb/Early March?

bought for $750, name change costs $150.
retzie

Post by retzie »

Image Holy fucking shit, what is it you people are doing???? I think I made it through the entire summer (3 months), in 5 countries on <$6k.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

heheh totally.

Those russian hookers and colombian imports drive the costs up maybe?
gnat

Post by gnat »

i lived like a queen in SE asia for less than 50 bucks a day and have lived well for less than 100 bucks a day throughout europe and the UK. that's accom- usually in a double room, meals (that do not include 2 minute noodles), sightseeing, coffees, beers.. i never do super tight ass, too old for that gaff any more

add to that flights plus maybe a grand or two to spend depending on time you're there. to cover stuff you wanna buy external to everyday living costs...

has worked for me. i reckon i end up leaving more at home to cover bloody rent, loans, bills, pet fees etc!
deviant

Post by deviant »

ghetto kitty wrote::shock:

full on. will be way more exp on my own too.

so, anyone want cheap ticket to Japan in End of Feb/Early March?

bought for $750, name change costs $150.
nah, it will be cheaper on your own...

Private rooms for two are more exxy than dorm rooms per bed. Plus exchange rate is much better now.. plus we spent $800 each on japanrailpass. plus our airfairs were $1800 each. Plus we went to some exxy restaurants and tourist attactions (like osaka aquirium) that have pretty high entrance fees. Big nights clubbing in Tokyo at $80 each on the door doesn't help the bank either.

If I went back I reckon I could easily spend less knowing what I know now.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

$100 a day in the most expensive places and down to $25 a day in the cheapest.

$100 day in london = shitty dorm bed and 1.5 meals and very little grog.
$100 day in Asia or way our west = 4* hotel 3 meals, massage and as much grog as it takes to forget.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

@ Dan -
heh, i dun really DO dorms though.
generally travelling alone is more expensive that with at least one other, but i hear you on exp tickets + club fees + attractions.
I dont go 'out' much when im travelling, i use holidays to get away from clubs!
and not a fan of most touristy type attractions either.
i like to get off the beaten track and immerse myself in the more 'local' lifestyle.
But last time i was in Tokyo it was all expenses paid, five star hotels and every meal exp and paid for...
so still not sure if ill be able to afford 3 weesk on my own unless something amazing happens in the financial sector of ghetto kitty inc.

and yes dboy, hence why i keep goin back n back to SE asia. any developments on where you might go in october?
quick

Post by quick »

I am getting quite nervous now... 2 weeks today and i will be on the plane to leave for up to 2 years...

so much to remember to do and organise. got passport/visa, vaccinations, tickets, organised storage, got sleeping bag/pillow, bag locks, travel towel, good backpack... what else is there... exciting and overwhelming all at once...
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

looks like Koh Tao for us.
deviant

Post by deviant »

http://kshouse.jp/tokyo-e/index.html

good accom prices, very clean and very full featured hostels... private room 3400 yen ($45)

do it!!
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

quick wrote:I am getting quite nervous now... 2 weeks today and i will be on the plane to leave for up to 2 years...

so much to remember to do and organise. got passport/visa, vaccinations, tickets, organised storage, got sleeping bag/pillow, bag locks, travel towel, good backpack... what else is there... exciting and overwhelming all at once...
lap top/ camera/ foreign currency/ smuggling condoms/
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

Blaxter wrote:
quick wrote:I am getting quite nervous now... 2 weeks today and i will be on the plane to leave for up to 2 years...

lap top/ camera/ foreign currency/ smuggling condoms/
dont take sleeping bag or pillow. Take a sleeping bag inner thing, like just a sleeping bag sheet, but CNBF carrying a sleeping bag for 2 years! your a backpacker now.
Personnally would not carry a computer either, and only a shitty camera. If you are on the road for that long anything worth more than $50 is a liability. Go rough.

Don't forget a moleskin - keep it real. ;)
Amick

Post by Amick »

DBoy wrote:Don't forget a moleskin - keep it real. ;)
MOST IMPORTANT!!!

Mine got stolen when I went overseas for the first time.

A girl who I was emailing at the time printed every email I sent to her and put it in diary format and gave it to me as a present.

It was the most emotional gift I've ever received.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

d- koh tao is a good choice. best diving ever. now i have PADI i wanna go back there. pristine!

dan - hrmmm, still might try and sell ticket tbh, if i had planned on going alone, would go in winter here, not summer!

quickster - agree with dboy, mnml technology is best, pooters everywhere and they are too heavy and too much to worry about. I vowed never again when i took my lappy on adventure. and you wont need any bedding imho.
also - join couchsurfing.org and make friends online befoe you hit destinations, even if you dont wanna crash at other's houses (which i would do and highly reccomend for such a long trip) best way to see new places is with a local friend, they can show ya the good bars, good hookers, where to find rare squirrels etc etc

amick - thats so cute, just the kind of thing i would do too. yes to moleskins. i has many.
quick

Post by quick »

i bought a good eeePC already, so thats coming, plus i only just bought my sleeping bag... it packs up sooooo small, plus I will need it for some of the south american treks.

Like the idea of couch serfing, will be doing that in europe i reckon... if i do, my own bedding will be so helpful i reckon.

I also got a travelex cash passport visa debit thing... really low fees on atm withdrawals from international machines apparently.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

yup, eepc would be the perfect lappy to take if you are taking one.

take more cash options than just a card though, or you may be stranded with no card and no help from your bank here like i was in malaysia!

and please give us regular FB updates/photos so we can live vicariously through you! ;)
deviant

Post by deviant »

ghetto kitty wrote:and please give us regular FB updates/photos so we can live vicariously through you! ;)
www.thesquirrel.com.au

;)
retzie

Post by retzie »

Quick - if you want high(ish) tech travel, an unlocked phone with GPS and wifi will do wonders. Mine looks totally stock standard, so even if I'm lost and looking at maps and/or standing outside a cafe stealing wifi, it just looks like I'm sending a text. If you load it up with maps of wherever you're going, you don't even need a data connection.

You might want to get an international driver's licence too. It takes two seconds at an RACV and might save you some hassle. Also, scan all your docs and keep 'em online somewhere. Oh, and a Telstra/Optus international calling card might be nice - gives you a back-up for when your mobile/Skype/whatever fucks out and you're left hanging (esp. good for less developed countries.)
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

yupp - photocopy of your passport, plane tickets, insurance, aussie id and keep a copy somewhere the real versions are not and leave a set of copies with a friend back home you know you can contact.

Was with a mate got his backpack knicked in Poland, lost his passport, insurange, return tickets, the lot - being able to get a copy of numbers and prove who he was made a HUGE difference.
quick

Post by quick »

yeah sweet... great tips Retz, D and Kitteh...

I dont know any other cash options worth it except cash and card... travelers cheques are crap yeah?

I have all documents scanned on in my gmail account, plus my mum has copies.

Retz, what phone u got to do all that?
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

International drivers license is a con.

T got one and used it twice and both times they laughed at her and asked to see her real license.

It's literally a bit of cardboard folded over with a photo glued in it.
Don't hate me for house
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

JAMESSSS wrote:International drivers license is a con.

T got one and used it twice and both times they laughed at her and asked to see her real license.

I would have thought that would depend on the country you are in. When I lived in France I needed one to hire a car there. It's a long way to come back to Oz if you don't have one.
Just because I rock, doesn't mean I'm made of stone.
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

quick wrote:I dont know any other cash options worth it except cash and card... travelers cheques are crap yeah?
I always have >1 card. I take my ATM card from home for saving account, and 2 credit cards. I have been in trouble before where I had put a credit card into debit and the foreign bank could not tell the difference between the debit & credit and thought I was over the limit. Stuck with very little cash! Lucky my Mum had a power of attorney and was able to go into the bank & fix it for me!

I have used traveller's cheques before and think you can't beat them for security but I have only cashed them in the US, where it is normal to use them. Electronic banking is everywhere now.... can still lead to trouble though!
Just because I rock, doesn't mean I'm made of stone.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Polecat wrote:
JAMESSSS wrote:International drivers license is a con.

I would have thought that would depend on the country you are in. When I lived in France I needed one to hire a car there. It's a long way to come back to Oz if you don't have one.
Hmmm. Well OK. It's a con for Asia, America and Central America.
Don't hate me for house
Amick

Post by Amick »

Traveller's cheques are a waste of time.

Stick to plastic.
retzie

Post by retzie »

quick wrote:Retz, what phone u got to do all that?
SE G705. Ultimate stealth phone, coz it looks like a bog standard slider. When I was looking at the start of the year, it was pretty much the only one that did what I wanted and had decent battery life, but more may have come out since then. They seem to be a bit hard to come by, though - if you is flying via HK, you might be able to pick one up there. Be warned, the maps take a bit of setting up if you want em offline though.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Amick wrote:Traveller's cheques are a waste of time.

Stick to plastic.
No. Depends where you are going. Trust me. My card was confiscated four times from atms by big banks in malaysia.

From my last trip experience, I will now take multiple options for cash, especially if travelling alone.
quick

Post by quick »

retzie wrote:
quick wrote:Retz, what phone u got to do all that?
SE G705. Ultimate stealth phone, coz it looks like a bog standard slider. When I was looking at the start of the year, it was pretty much the only one that did what I wanted and had decent battery life, but more may have come out since then. They seem to be a bit hard to come by, though - if you is flying via HK, you might be able to pick one up there. Be warned, the maps take a bit of setting up if you want em offline though.
thanx for that Retz... did u compare this to the nokia n95?
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Off to the U.S. of A in around 3-weeks.... Boh Diddley!

First o/s trip for me.