iPhone.. zomg

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
fooishbar

Re: iPhone.. zomg

Post by fooishbar »

joby gorillacam is fairly sweet as well.
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
Kaiproject

Post by Kaiproject »

fuck! i knew this would happen. only just getting mine now. couldn't wait tho...
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/01/ ... on-iphone/

oh well. don't really care about the camera. the extra touch stuff is interesting tho + i bet it will have a beefier processor and stuff
Amick

Post by Amick »

I might wait for mid year to and get the iphone (unless something more amazing comes out), as much as my retro phone at the moment is shit it does its job and i don't mind the wankiness of a flip phone.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

Got the spinning wheel of death on mine. Been like this since 7am - any suggestions or am I desitined with a date at Chadstone?
mecka

Post by mecka »

Reset it? Hold down the top button and the middle at the same time.
gnat

Post by gnat »

i RIP imo

base rate plus handset cost per month plus $14 insurance. total rip off.
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

Fixed - cheers Mecka. had it 18 months and never had to do that before. worked.
deviant

Post by deviant »

gnat wrote:i RIP imo

base rate plus handset cost per month plus $14 insurance. total rip off.
huh? I got the handset for $0... stayed on the same $79 cap plan I was already on and just pay a little extra for insurance than I did before (I think it was $9 with my old phone) where's the rip?
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

same here dan. and yeah think insurance with Optus is $9..
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

well i got out of my contract so i only has to pay $180 for phone and its mine and stay on cap and no fucking optus contract!

god i love winning battles with dem fuckers.
gnat

Post by gnat »

i want $59 plan. that's what i'm on now and it's more than enough for me

optus add $8 per month for handset and $14 for insurance. so do telechoice. so the $59 advertised plan becomes $80-85.

insurance on my current nokia is $4 a month!
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
deviant

Post by deviant »

http://contest.adorama.com/

iphone photo comp

edit: I Meant "comp"

get on it!!!
Last edited by deviant on Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
spiral

Post by spiral »

gorillacam - great for taking timed sequence shots - also has timer for camera and is free
almax

Post by almax »

This is absolutely awesome, beatboxing to a whole new level

Watch the posted video on YouTube.

mrj

Post by mrj »

gnat wrote:i want $59 plan. that's what i'm on now and it's more than enough for me

optus add $8 per month for handset and $14 for insurance. so do telechoice. so the $59 advertised plan becomes $80-85.

insurance on my current nokia is $4 a month!
the insurance is higher for the iphone because it's possible to imagine a scenario in which someone might want to steal it. Not so for the nokia.
Last edited by mrj on Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
deviant

Post by deviant »

plus the screen is glass... smashes when dropped.
gnat

Post by gnat »

i hear you can claim on contents insurance for it

liking that. will look into further
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

You can Gnat, but you will need to have accidental damage included in your contents policy. you would also need to ensure your policy was for contents outside of your house. The Insurance went up about 6 months ago when they must have realised how many claims they got. boo really. But I still pay it without an issue cos to me, its like a get out of jail free card. your phone fucks up, 'lose it'. $100.00, new phone, done. :D
mrj

Post by mrj »

I dropped my Iphone from about should height last night and hit the running board of my wardrobe and bounced back into the air so high I could catch it again. I was completley astonished, even more so when I looked at my phone and it didn't have a scratch on it.
Kaiproject

Post by Kaiproject »

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/02/ ... ion-iphone

dunno how/if it'll go in australia, will have to DL and test if possible (can't find it in appstore search on my 3gs tho, only on itunes)
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

sooo i dropped my phone and has now big cracks, any cheaper way than to pay my insurance excess of 175?
Jinx

Post by Jinx »

Do it yourself if you have the patience. Check here, has step by step tutorial with pics. I replaced my screen for under $50 when i dropped mine. http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Device/iPhone_3G
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

any one know of any CALDAV cleints for synching w Outlook? [free is best :P]
deviant

Post by deviant »

I went swimming with my iphone :(

it no workies
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

any one know of any CALDAV cleints for synching w Outlook?

Dan -- > Silly :P
mrj

Post by mrj »

Discovered a great app (I'm sure it's been around for ages)

Sleep Cycle

It uses the accelerometer to measure your movement during sleep to determine how deep your sleep is, then wakes you in the morning as you are coming out of a sleep cycle, rather than right in the middle of one as can happen with a traditional alarm clock. You set a time that you can't sleep past so it won't let you sleep in.

Used it this morning and found it worked really really well. I set my latest time for 7.30 and it woke me at 7, right when I was almost near waking and about to dip back down into another sleep cycle. I woke much more easily and didn't feel groggy as I often do. Was really good, highly recommend.
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

^ wow that sounds very cool. might get.

need moar people on word with friends. scrabtabulous.
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

mrj messaged u the other day .. Frogger is on iPhone. zomg.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Does anyone use iPhone as a sample trigger when DJing? Will be giving it a go next Fri I think.
Don't hate me for house
almax

Post by almax »

TRAPSTER
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/feat ... 5830019625

Basically if you see a booze bus you can now 'report' it to this application, then everyone using it, will know there is a booze bus there.

Now of course this has good and bad consequences, but as if you all aren't gonna download it and use it if you think you may have possibly had 1 too many at the pub.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

mrj wrote:Discovered a great app (I'm sure it's been around for ages)

Sleep Cycle

It uses the accelerometer to measure your movement during sleep to determine how deep your sleep is, then wakes you in the morning as you are coming out of a sleep cycle, rather than right in the middle of one as can happen with a traditional alarm clock. You set a time that you can't sleep past so it won't let you sleep in.

Used it this morning and found it worked really really well. I set my latest time for 7.30 and it woke me at 7, right when I was almost near waking and about to dip back down into another sleep cycle. I woke much more easily and didn't feel groggy as I often do. Was really good, highly recommend.
i love this app! use it every night im not trashy..
it gives me averages and i love seeing my sleeping patterns and comparing them to what is going on in my life...
its my fav app at the moment...

almax- trapster is okay, but pretty pointless really. as its user managed, its not really that updated that often and often only had speed cameras and not booze buses which would be a far more worthy thing to know about imo!

does anyone know if they are going to enable flash for iphone soon?
otherwise i need to make a new website, or at least one that will load on phones. - eurgh.
deviant

Post by deviant »

do you need to have the phone on the bed for that sleep thing to work?? where do you put it?
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

I reckon an app that lets people log met inspectors would be rad.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Dan - you lay it glass side down near your pillow and it monitors your movements..can tell when you are still awake, get up for a pee, and yoshi seems to not affect it so i think even with your lady in bed, if you lay it on your side it should still work....

truly amazing!
almax

Post by almax »

ghetto kitty wrote: almax- trapster is okay, but pretty pointless really. as its user managed, its not really that updated that often and often only had speed cameras and not booze buses which would be a far more worthy thing to know about imo!
yeah just need more people to know about it and start reporting is all. Its only new in Oz so give it time and tell everyone you know about it so it gets more users.
almax

Post by almax »

ghetto kitty wrote:Dan - you lay it glass side down near your pillow and it monitors your movements..can tell when you are still awake, get up for a pee, and yoshi seems to not affect it so i think even with your lady in bed, if you lay it on your side it should still work....

truly amazing!

hmmm, but how do you know its "really" working?
it could be just some number generating pattern, i dunno, i dont have it but i would be sceptical, especially with 2 people in the one bed (if it works on movement)
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

trapster - yeah well i have it but i dont check it much cos it has proven pointless so far..

sleep cycle - i know its really working cos it shows me every pee i wake up for, and also how long i am reading in bed for, which i thought would be the same as sleeping cos i dont move much...but ive been using it a few weeks now and its full on!
some nights i sleep like the dead and it shows my patterns as having hardly any dreams, other nights i wake up after dreams and its erratic as all fuck.

also - you guys got 'beer button' ?
total gimmick but hella good, massive red button you hit that rings an alarm, then shows you the ten closest bottle shops to your location

also - i couldnt help myself. i has an air horn. its free and its MEGA annoying. mwahahah
mrj

Post by mrj »

Yeh i find sleep cycle is quite accurate. I don't believe that it can readily tell if you are dreaming or not, but it definitely shows very accurately when I have got up during the night (for a drink or wee or something) and at what times I was in bed asleep and to what extent i was asleep. i definitley feel better in the morning when I use the sleep cycle alarm as opposed to my regular alarm.
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

ghetto kitty wrote:does anyone know if they are going to enable flash for iphone soon?
otherwise i need to make a new website, or at least one that will load on phones. - eurgh.
Taken from http://www.iphonehacks.com which is a great source for iphone news and stuffs
Adobe Talks About Apple Not Supporting Flash on iPhone, Clash With HTML5 & More

A lot has been written in the past few weeks over the Apple-Adobe standoff and a good deal of perspectives have been offered on the issue of iPhone OS not supporting Flash.

While Apple has maintained its position on the Flash platform being a CPU hog and a dying technology, Adobe has not only backed its software but has also extended its support to alternate multimedia platforms like HTML5.

So what is Adobe's take on these developments? In a freewheeling chat with Ben Parr from Mashable, Aaron Filner, the group product manager for Flash at Adobe reveals his company's stand on several pertinent issues.

On iPhone not supporting Flash:

Filner is appreciative of the fact that it is Apple's call to decide whether or not to offer Flash on the iPhone OS platform. However, he says that Adobe shall continue to support developers who wish to bring Flash based applications to the iPhone App Store. Filner further states that Adobe recognizes the iPhone's marketplace-based platform as an emerging business model and shall continue to offer solutions to these platforms alongside the open web.

On the clash between Flash and HTML5:

Filner sees the reports of clash between Flash and HTML5 as a "misperception" and insists that his company has always worked to extend HTML's technology by providing more functionality and richness over the platform. He expects this support to continue in the foreseeable future.

On potential problems with mouseover on touchscreen devices:

As you might know, one of the critical challenges in offering Flash on touchscreen devices is the problem with the mouse-over event, which is not recognized as an input on touchscreen devices. While Filner did not explicitly elaborate on how the company intends to tackle the problem, he reveals that Adobe is already working on potential solutions to such issues.
...................................................................................................................................................
no more epilepsy raptor jesus
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

so basically - fuck you flash users.
i have to make a mobile friendly version of my site to avoid the blue cube of fail.

:roll: @ technology.
deviant

Post by deviant »

hmmm, interesting.

Flash certainly is a CPU hog, even on my PC (and Mac) it fucks things up occasionally.
yenks

Post by yenks »

so you got ur iphone fixed after the water incident dan ?
deviant

Post by deviant »

no... it's still "in the shop"

it's not gunna be fixed... they will need to replace imo
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

Sleep Cycle is awesome!
Got it last week and finding it really interesting.
The first night I used it I was practically dead for three hours, but since then it's been up and down. Seems pretty accurate from what I can tell.
And the alarm sounds are pretty - i've have mine stuck in my head all morning (it's losing its appeal now tbh).
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

ghetto kitty wrote:so basically - fuck you flash users.
i have to make a mobile friendly version of my site to avoid the blue cube of fail.

:roll: @ technology.
yeah, because flash rinses both the cpu and the battery, badly (and the performance is an absolute joke, which makes the whole phone look bad). i don't blame apple at all for refusing to fix it until adobe finally fixes their shit.

if your website is flash anyway, it sucks for anyone who uses a search engine (can't index anything in flash), for anyone who's blind/vision-impaired/whatever, for anyone who wants to bookmark anything, anyone who's capped or just has slow interwubs, etc, etc. and iphone users. so just don't do it. :)
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

I agree with fooishbar, beautiful as your site is kitty, flash only sites are generally frowned upon for what he mentioned above (except in the movie industry for some reason), though google has been indexing flash for the last year or two: http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot. ... exing.html

Many cool things can be done with javascript these days anyway...
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

Have read on a lot of sites that the main reason not to include flash, apart from it being buggy and crap, is because of the potential loss of revenue for apple? !
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

Killed a few hours in a waiting room today with few apps: everyday looper and fattag pro.
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

got the fat tag katsu edition.. hehe good laugh hey D !!