LTO by Little Evil (a snippet)

Tips, hints, help, tech support, setups, systems and all things related to making phat beats. Post your latest production for all to hear & review. Or quiz the resident nerds about that tech problem you just can't figure out.
Little Evil

LTO by Little Evil (a snippet)

Post by Little Evil »

Hey!
Here is part of one of my new tunes.
This one is called LTO.
It's just part of the first breakdown, and the main part of the tune. Sound quality dropped a bit when it got converted to MP3, but still sounds ok. Of course you won't be able to hear the sub bass so well, but it gives you an idea I guess.
If you'd like a copy of the whole thing, let me know, and I'll bring you one in at Gimme this weekend.
Will be playing it too, and another tune as well that's a bit funkier.

http://uploadx.net/?id=qtD1lg==

This link is weird, click on it, then click the blue link that says 'download file'
Nothing happens for a min or so, and then it just starts playing.
Enjoy.
lucas
emission reductionist

Post by lucas »

Sounding very nice. Well done.
"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted." - Martin Luther King Jr.
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

make them drums louder!

like add a massive snare to the one you got. its a bit little. (hehe)

compared to the vocal and the main lead synth the rest is very quiet.

:D
one more medicated peacefull moment
www.dubstep.com.au
Little Evil

Post by Little Evil »

It's an MP3.
On my protools system it sounds smicko.

I find MP3's have a tendency to make things sound smaller, and make the bass whimpy, and the drums distant.
The drums on the proper version are loud as.

Don't worry mate, I'm on it.

This week at Gimme it will be cranking at it's full potential. :smt023

Thanx too Lucas. Glad you liked. :D
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

rad man.

www.dubstep.com.au
Keir
PLUS:ONE

Post by Keir »

hrmm.. sounds unlikely that it would make that much of a difference mate.. ya probably just haven't mixed it that well.. that lead is way to loud mate.. your monitors are probably just dipping in teh mids so your turning it up to much.
Little Evil wrote:It's an MP3.
On my protools system it sounds smicko.

I find MP3's have a tendency to make things sound smaller, and make the bass whimpy, and the drums distant.
The drums on the proper version are loud as.

Don't worry mate, I'm on it.

This week at Gimme it will be cranking at it's full potential. :smt023

Thanx too Lucas. Glad you liked. :D
FORWARD FOCUS PRESENTED BY KEIR. SUNDAY NIGHT'S 9-1030PM :: KISS FM
LISTEN LIVE FROM 87.6, 87.8, 88.0 or STREAM LIVE FROM KISSFM.COM.AU -> DOWNLOAD THE KISSFM iPHONE APP HERE
FACEBOOK || MYSPACE
Little Evil

Post by Little Evil »

Nah, my monitors are fine.
The vocs have come out a bit loud in the MP3, don't know why.
They aint like that in the pt session.
Nothing a slight adjustment can't fix.
Anyway, you live and learn.
lynt

Post by lynt »

Hey Drew, had a listen and I gotta agree with the mix down.. snares sound a bit to faint and the vocal and synth to forward in the mix.. always good to have a wide variety of systems to hear your mixes on (I'm currently listening to on the shop system which cranks)..

Sounding good so far, just gotta get some more ears around that mix down - unless it's the bounce to MP3 ... double check ya settings mate, especially before you do your final bounce before this weekend!
Little Evil

Post by Little Evil »

lynt wrote:Hey Drew, had a listen and I gotta agree with the mix down.. snares sound a bit to faint and the vocal and synth to forward in the mix.. always good to have a wide variety of systems to hear your mixes on (I'm currently listening to on the shop system which cranks)..

Sounding good so far, just gotta get some more ears around that mix down - unless it's the bounce to MP3 ... double check ya settings mate, especially before you do your final bounce before this weekend!
It's definately the bounce.
Huge diff between MP3 and wav on this tune.
Will sort it out.
Thanx for that guys. :D
Spherix

Post by Spherix »

agreed on the mix

if the bounce osunds like this then this is how it appears on other systems, which is why monitoring is essential. gotta ensure that mix cuts thru on all speakers

drums need to be LOUUUDDDERR
(imo of course)
lowercase//Immerse//Tube10//BareDubs//Sub Continental Dub//On The Edge//Camino Blue
calstro

Post by calstro »

Spherix wrote: gotta ensure that mix cuts thru on all speakers
The man knows....

Studio monitors can be too forgiving. Mixdowns obviously have to work on all systems.

EDIT: RE the track....

Def drums seem too soft and vox way too loud....

I liked your build... I don't know much about Breaks as such but IMO the drums need a bit of work... just to spice them up a bit... Same with the main Synth/Bassline. But that is just my opinion... worth approximately 2 cents. (which these days rounds down to 0 - so technically worthless. :D )
Last edited by calstro on Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keir

Post by Keir »

Little Evil wrote:Nah, my monitors are fine.
The vocs have come out a bit loud in the MP3, don't know why.
They aint like that in the pt session.
Nothing a slight adjustment can't fix.
Anyway, you live and learn.
i wasn't impyling there is a problem with your monitors.. just that they may be bright in certain areas so your boosting things which you think need it, but in actual fact your monitors are just misrepresenting whats actually there..
LISTEN LIVE FROM 87.6, 87.8, 88.0 or STREAM LIVE FROM KISSFM.COM.AU -> DOWNLOAD THE KISSFM iPHONE APP HERE
FACEBOOK || MYSPACE
SoulWhiteMan

Post by SoulWhiteMan »

i'm just gonna assume the problem was in the dump to .mp3

dancy lead synth :)
drums do sound a bit too quiet (even in my senn 280s) but this may be due to .mp3 like you've been saying.

Like what I was able to hear. Well done.
Keir

Post by Keir »

SoulWhiteMan wrote:drums do sound a bit too quiet (even in my senn 280s) but this may be due to .mp3 like you've been saying.
why would bouncing to mp3 only effect the volume of the drums?
FACEBOOK || MYSPACE
Fents

Post by Fents »

Keir wrote:
SoulWhiteMan wrote:drums do sound a bit too quiet (even in my senn 280s) but this may be due to .mp3 like you've been saying.
Fully. I bet if LE played this on 5 different types of systems - Club/DMC studio/Home/Somewhere else then he would too agree that its NOT the mp3 bounce making things quiet.

TEveryone in this thread has said the same thing, It aint the MP3 bounce.
lynt

Post by lynt »

I've been trying to think why the MP3 bounce would change the mix down. Unless you've got some crazy automation on your drum volume that you neglected to tire before the bounce, that or you pulled the volume down to check some parts out and forgot to bring them back up before bounce.

In short, a bounce is a direct representation of your current mix, just, instead of it playing through your monitors, you're saving it to disk.

Double check it bro!
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

Keir wrote:
yeah. i woulda thought that converting to mp3 would sound the same as what you hear on the project file?
www.dubstep.com.au
Little Evil

Post by Little Evil »

I now have it sorted.
It was the original bounce in protools. I had the auto off on the vocs and the drums. It made it quiet in some areas, and lound in others, as I had some recordings that were different levels to start with, and I'd sorted it out, but had not turned my automation back on. Hence the volume probs.
I have turned the vol auto back on, brought the vocs back, and sorted the drums out, and even brought the main riff down a couple of notches.
No big deal, easily fixed.
Thanx heaps for the positive feedback I got, and to those dudes who sent me those encouraging emails - really appreciate that.
There's lots more to come, and already has been some interest from some of the other stuff I've sent out to a heap of people OS, and got some really positive feedback.

Ps - there's a massive difference between MP3 sound quality, and a normal 24 bit sound that I would use in a protools session.
An MP3 file is heaps smaller than a regular audio/cd file - typically only one tenth the size of a CD file, and the data has been compressed considerably.
There's heaps of different levels of compression. But you don't get something for nothing - the more compressed the file, the poorer the sound quality. Choosing the right amount of compression involves a trade-off between sound quality and file size.
Maybe I over compressed? Just downloaded an mp3 coverter the day I posted this up, and didn't really check the attributes, just compressed it.
Now that I've read up on it a bit, I'm more clued in.
There was a massive difference in sound quality between the PT session and the MP3 snippet. So will check that compression ratio from now on.
Admittedly, I neglected the auto, but go easy on me fella's. It's my first time out. sheesh. :D
Anyway, see ya's all soon.
Thanx again. Really appreciate the constructive criticism.
Might see some of you down Gimme this weekend.
Last edited by Little Evil on Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lynt

Post by lynt »

Coolio.

Compression is heavy if you want to get into it, just remember it will never adjust your volume so parts drop in and out... it'll only reduce the quality of the audio.

I won't play any MP3's I get sent if they're under 320kbps. Anything less the quality sounds shit house on systems.

Think of compression quality or bitrates as flood gates....

The wider the gates, the more water flows through. If you tighten the gates, less will flow and the towns people will thirst.

ie: The higher the bitrate, the higher the quality of the data.

Note: This doesn't apply to file compression, you can only squeeze so far.
Little Evil

Post by Little Evil »

Yep, I know all about compression.
Just never worked with MP3's before, because they've always sounded shite to me.
Like I said, I had the auto turned off, it's back on now.
Thanx for the feedback. :D
Fents

Post by Fents »

have u swapped the clips over? lets ave a listen...
Little Evil

Post by Little Evil »

Come down to Gimme Sat night, you'll hear it for sure.
kemicalsista

Re: LTO by Little Evil (a snippet)

Post by kemicalsista »

Little Evil wrote:Hey!
Here is part of one of my new tunes.
This one is called LTO.
It's just part of the first breakdown, and the main part of the tune. Sound quality dropped a bit when it got converted to MP3, but still sounds ok. Of course you won't be able to hear the sub bass so well, but it gives you an idea I guess.
If you'd like a copy of the whole thing, let me know, and I'll bring you one in at Gimme this weekend.
Will be playing it too, and another tune as well that's a bit funkier.

http://uploadx.net/?id=qtD1lg==

This link is weird, click on it, then click the blue link that says 'download file'
Nothing happens for a min or so, and then it just starts playing.
Enjoy.
finally got a listen, very noice.... can't wait to hear it in full
your momma couldn't fit in a can bro'
Fents

Post by Fents »

How did it sound on the system LE?
LuKo

Post by LuKo »

your avatar is you at your yr 10 formal yes?

nice work on the track BTW :) I'd like to hear the funkier stuff