apple g4 powerbook probs...

Tips, hints, help, tech support, setups, systems and all things related to making phat beats. Post your latest production for all to hear & review. Or quiz the resident nerds about that tech problem you just can't figure out.
kemicalsista

apple g4 powerbook probs...

Post by kemicalsista »

anyone know who services apples for cheap???

for some reason my g4 wont recognise blank cd's, and if on the odd occassion it actually will allow me to burn to a cd, it turns out crackly,

i have about 15gig of music on my baby but i really need to start ripping it onto disc as i'm running out of room!
your momma couldn't fit in a can bro'
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

if it's still under warranty, then an authorised Apple Centre would be the go.

as a quick help attempt otherwise, it may be just a System Preference that's at fault. what application are you using to burn CDs? which version of Mac OS X is installed?
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
kemicalsista

Post by kemicalsista »

running version 10.3.9
not under warranty unfortunately,
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

right.

it could well be the Super/Combo drive's firmware that's at fault.

I'm not sure of any cheap techies around Melbourne really anymore, but AppTech were OK from memory. hope you can get your drive back up to scratch.
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
kemicalsista

Post by kemicalsista »

thanks for the help dood, i hope it doesn't cost me too much, i just bought this thing off my bro for 1k, i've been using it for months and convinced him he didn't want it. i thought i was getting a good deal but maybe not!
lucas
emission reductionist

Post by lucas »

This might sound weird... but perhaps try a different brand of blank CD?

I had insane problems trying to burn DVDs after I first got my mac. I went through a whole box of Shintaro's and every one of them failed.

After hunting around the internet for hours the only solid suggestion I found was to try another brand of blank DVD. I went to the supermarket and bought 1 of each well known brand (sony, tdk, imation, etc) and they all worked like a charm.

I've tried Shintaro's again since then. No good.

Perhaps your problem is similar (but different) to mine?
valuetime

Post by valuetime »

^^ i've had similar probs with old macs, but not my powerbook.

might be worth buying a couple of tdk 80 min gold cdr's and trying to burn with them first. they're cheap and never let me down.

kemicalsista

Post by kemicalsista »

thanks for all the suggestions guys, i have a few different types of cd here, and none of them seem to work (they are all cheapos tho!) i'll buy some of the tdk gold and give them a try. Actually now you mention it i can remember that when this first started happening it was only with one type of cdr, maybe it is just has expensive tastes!