Ty (UK) + The Bamboos || 21 June || The Espy

This is the forum for all things Melbourne beats. Post your gigs and other Melbourne music related information here. Keep it about the music and music only, please keep on topic.
Friday

Ty (UK) + The Bamboos || 21 June || The Espy

Post by Friday »

TY (UK)
With The Bamboos (live), DJ Mu-Gen, Gsan

Thursday 21st June
11 The Esplanade, St Kilda - Gershwin Room
Doors 9pm

Tickets $20 +bf from The Espy Bottle Shop, Polyester Records, Missing Link, Obese Records & Inthemix

Ben Chijioke aka Ty is one of UK Black music’s true innovators and popularisers. And with his third album, “Closer,” this critically-acclaimed MC and producer is set to hit the mainstream.

At last, with “Closer,” Ty feels he is coming ever nearer to what he was aiming at all along – hip hop that is as moving, funny, thoughtful and clever as the great Black music of the sixties and seventies. “For me it’s become about the music and the lyrics becoming one. About expressing myself and trying to sink into the music. Spoken word helped me to focus on the lyrics becoming part of the music. It’s not just about Ty rapping over a beat anymore.”

Ty’s strength of mind is legendary. His debut recording was on one of I.G. Culture’s (New Sector Movement) legendary One Drop Inter Outer albums. He has worked with the likes of Tony Allen, Terri Walker, Natasha Williams, Scratch Perverts, Afro Reggae and Estelle and has featured on more albums and singles than could easily be listed. Kiss DJ Shortee Blitz started out in a group with him. He has been invited to share the mic with luminaries such as Talib Kweli, De La Soul and Platinum Pied Pipers. He has been namechecked by Lily Allen and has performed with Damon Albarn. He has been nominated for the prestigious Mercury Music Prize, has won numerous Hip Hop Awards, has even presented awards at the Nigerian Music Awards in Lagos and also in Azerbajian and Latvia. He has taken his vision of hip hop culture into prisons and schools and has acted as a spokesman for his musical culture in the studios of Newsnight. {BRITSH COUNCIL}

Ty’s family moved to the UK from Nigeria, although their son was born here in London. He was fostered for a brief minute while his parents worked double shifts to establish themselves and grew up with the strict Nigerian discipline that frowned on popular music. As a result, Ty was a "secret music listener" soaking up the music of the sixties, seventies and eighties away from his parents gaze. “It intensified it for me,” he says. “I was addicted to remembering songs and melodies. It was unhealthy! The genre never mattered. If it was good it stuck in my head.”

Ty has long been involved in the spoken word/poetry scene, as well as running workshops in schools and beyond since his pivotal involvement in the mid-90s Ghetto Grammar organisation. “It was the beginning of us trying to formulate platforms for ourselvers rather than waiting for someone else to do it. It was the beginning of the DIY ethic. It was the beginning of us thinking about what we do from our persepective rather than an American perspective.” The most important lesson he learnt was the injunction to "just be yourself".

He first demonstrated this need to be himself on his debut album, “Awkward,” where tracks like “Hercules” and “The Tale” established him as far from the braggadocious norm. With the Mercury nominated “Upwards” Ty took over production duties and drew on every aspect of his heritage and life to that point to develop an honest and at times beautiful portrayal of the Black British experience. Fellow nominee and music legend Robert Wyatt picked it as his favourite record on the shortlist and described it as “a knockout”.

With a truly memorable live show, Ty has toured all over the world, everywhere from Morocco to the USA and has established a fanbase wherever he goes. In particular, his reputation has grown in the States to such an extent that he can claim the likes of Platinum Pied Pipers amongst his admirers and all his American guests on the record (including De La Soul, Speech from Arrested Development and Bahamadia) are personal friends and associates of the Vauxhall-based musician.
lynt

Post by lynt »

Woah, Ty! Awesome! Oh crap, I'm not here then. :cry:
Nick Thayer

Post by Nick Thayer »

Ty is awesome. Love closer. Love the cover too. Can't remember what it is a rip of though?!?
Beats Electric - Tuesdays 8-10pm on Triple R 102.7fm

Late Show 4 Eva

http://www.myspace.com/djnickthayer
http://www.myspace.com/beatselectric

In Istanbul, we won it 5 times.....
Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic »

Oh yes.
ShiKung

Post by ShiKung »

Ty's album rocks, I will definately be in attendance at this one!! Gsan and Mugen in the mix as well!! Niceness!
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

Nice one Lucie :D

One day later would have been even nicer :P :wink:
Friday

Post by Friday »

ahhh bummer! is that when you guys are in japan?
lynt

Post by lynt »

Hai!

*gong crash*
killeye

Post by killeye »

Great supports! The Bamboos are ace!-Lanu from the Bamboos has a pretty sweet solo album people should check out : Lanu
"That's my desire, keep pushing, keep striving"

killeye myspace
Cubist

Post by Cubist »

I like the Bamboos. Got the 1st Album.
Friday

Post by Friday »

yeah the bamboos rock it!

they're heading o/s shortly after this gig for their second european tour so it'll be your last chance to catch 'em for a while!

:D
Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic »

What the... this is on this Thursday? Time to give this thread a BUMP!!!
ShiKung

Post by ShiKung »

So excited about this taking the night off work and getting down there early to see my bros in support!!

U going to be there Friday??
Friday

Post by Friday »

Wouldn't miss it! :D
ShiKung

Post by ShiKung »

BOH!!

Goin to be great
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

would so love to be there. ty is soul stage presence personified.

should be massive. :)
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
cammo

Post by cammo »

got my ticket.
set times anyone?
ShiKung

Post by ShiKung »

Dope do you wanna catch up before hand?? If there is time
universal sea

Post by universal sea »

This should be terrific, I've been looking forward to it for a while.

Pre-drinks at mine on the way if you're down for it, crew is assembling.
Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic »

Set times?
Friday

Post by Friday »

Times!!

GSAN 8.30 - 9.30pm
DJ MU-GEN 9.30 - 10.15pm
THE BAMBOOS 10.15 - 11.00pm
THIEF 'N' RASKOOL 11.00pm - 11.30am
TY feat DJ BIZZNEZZ (UK) 11.30 - 1.00am
DJ MU-GEN 1.00am - close
ShiKung

Post by ShiKung »

Stoked will be trying to get out there by 9.30!!
universal sea

Post by universal sea »

Ah... that was a fun gig, Ty really got into it. Crowd was OK, responsive who was there. He played most of his hits, then jumped into the crowd a lot at the end during the little megamix of cheesy hiphop and funk classics from years back (Jump Around - ok, Sweet Dreams.. um..)

Further Espy pickpocket issues. One dude who looked like Jesus and apparently was on stage earlier, towards the end tried to make a grab at three women's purses that I was standing next to and kind of watching. As soon as he was caught trying by one of the ladies and myself, he scampered off like the piss tart he was, not to be seen again.

Then... my lovely houseguest had her phone go missing at the end after she put it down on a couch - there was like 10 people left, she eventually found it, but without the Sim card. Which in itself eventually showed up in a random empty place just as she was calling to cancel it.

The reason for posting this stuff publically is to reiterate the lesson to people, particularly women - watch over your shit! Open purses left unattended are a no-no. Take care of your belongings. There are many creeps out there. The Espy seems particularly bad for this, but what this means is that there are experienced people preying over predictable carelessness. Be a tomboy if you have to and put your phone and wallet on your body (pants pockets, etc).

Back to the gig, excellent 40 minute interview with Ty, we'll be putting up the full unedited version complete with his rant about the difficulties of the internal UK hip-hop scene, the importance of supporting artists, and charting his rise to where he's finally got to Australia after 7 years of trying.

Fun fun... one of the more fun gigs of the year for sure.
dust

Post by dust »

I don't really think its the Espy especially, if you are dumb enough to leave your phone or bag sitting on a couch unattended in any club you are likely to have it robbed.

So sorry to have missed this gig and well and truly over being sick.

How were the Bamboos and Thief and Raskool?
taylem

Post by taylem »

That was a hell of a lot of fun! Ty is mad charismatic, was great fun watching him win the crowd over.
TheOperatives

Post by TheOperatives »

TY was excellent, articulate, funny and moved for a big man, lots of charisma, i really really enjoyed it. Thanks Lucie :)
ImageImage