Your fave Melb Bars

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
gnat

Your fave Melb Bars

Post by gnat »

We are so spoilt for choice and new ones opening all the time- I can't keep up

Did a bar crawl a couple of weekends ago and were like 'Umm... where can we go that we haven't been before?'

So.. spill the sneakies eh..

I rate Troika for starting out your night- it's warm and cosy, they play mad tunes and give good drink

Anywhere that does not have fresh limes need not apply 8)
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
dust

Post by dust »

Went to Riverland the other night. Very nice Six Degrees designed bar and great drinks. I thought it would be too cold this time of year but they have big umbrellas and good heaters. Very recommended.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2006/ ... l?from=rss
Mellogs

Post by Mellogs »

I love Fog in greville street for after work drinks in the cocktail lounge on a friday followed by a lovely dinner. 8)
...and basically that's the situation
Friday

Post by Friday »

troika is lovely. hadn't been there before and went to a wedding reception there a month or two back and it's really lovely...
nic

Post by nic »

Until they start smashing out batty house at 9 to a half empty bar like last saturday, but it is really nice especially when you get seats! troika have excellent drinks

riverland is good mideweek / afternoon as well, way to busy friday saturday though.

3 below is really nice warm and quiet midweek when there arent many toffs there, 6 degrees designed nice.

umm i havent been anywher else. is there anywhere else?
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

I have the world's most pretentious bar as my local and I hate it (my liver is thanking me though).
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."
nic

Post by nic »

?? wheres at? phoenix?
dust

Post by dust »

C.I.A. wrote:I have the world's most pretentious bar as my local and I hate it (my liver is thanking me though).
Which one?

Re: Riverland, i went there on Thursday and it was great. Can see how it would suck on the weekends tho.
spiral

Post by spiral »

i really like prudence but wish it stayed open later
used to like rue bebs but has gone downhill
the rest of the time im in a pub, was in public bar friday night..forgot how great the interior decor was :wink:
Stray

Post by Stray »

Murmur wins best bar

May 28, 2007 12:00am

MURMUR Bar, nestled in a city laneway, has been voted Melbourne's best bar for 2007.

The top 50 bars on website bestdrinks.com.au were included in the judging, website director Jeremy Hyman said.

Tony Starr's Kitten Club in Little Collins St was awarded the title of best bar service, while Bear Brass at Southbank won best bar bistro.

Belgian Beer Cafe Eureka was best for beer lovers, the Portland Hotel in Russell St was named best value, with the best cocktails at Croft Institute in Croft Alley.
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

nic wrote:?? wheres at? phoenix?
Nope, phoenix is my local now. My closer local is the bar attached to The Press Club.

COULDN'T for the fucktards in there.

John is sleeping with his new PA, but it's ok, he got me that Range Rover I've been wanting. Midnight blue, to bring out my botox. Crispin and Moira came over for dinner last weekend. He is a neurosurgeon, and his son is in the same grade as Sebastian. You really must meet them. They really are rather important.
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."
nic

Post by nic »

wheres mumur? ah its in a lane it must be good :teef:
Stray

Post by Stray »

Director of BestDrinks.com.au, Jeremy Hyman says, “The winners are decided based on a strict criteria and we only judge bars that are in the top 50 visited on www.BestDrinks.com.au website. We hope this provides Melbournians with a few great bars to try when next out and about in Melbourne.”

www.BestDrinks.com.au is proud to announce Melbourne’s best bars in 2007 are as follows:

1. Murmur Bar is located at level 1, 17 Warburton Lane, Melbourne. Voted Melbourne’s best bar overall for 2007

2. Transport Hotel, Transit Bar, Federation Square Flinders Street, corner of Swanston Street, Melbourne. Voted Melbourne’s best bar for live acts in 2007

3. Tony Starr's Kitten Club, Level 2 267 Little Collins Street, Melbourne. Voted as having Melbourne’s best bar service in 2007

4. Belgian Beer Café Eureka, 5 Riverside Quay, Southbank, Melbourne. Voted as Melbourne’s best location for lovers of beer in 2007

5. Bearbrass, River Level, Southgate Arts & Leisure Precinct, Southgate, Melbourne. Voted Melbourne’s best bar bistro in 2007 based simply on cheap prices and excellent service

6. Portland Hotel, 115 Russell Street, Melbourne. Voted as Melbourne’s best value bar in 2007

7. Croft Institute, 21 – 25 Croft Alley, Melbourne.Voted Melbourne’s best bar for cocktails in 2007

8. The Deanery, 13 Bligh Place, Melbourne. Voted Melbourne’s best fine dining bar experience in 2007.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

C.I.A. wrote:
nic wrote:John is sleeping with his new PA, but it's ok, he got me that Range Rover I've been wanting. Midnight blue, to bring out my botox. Crispin and Moira came over for dinner last weekend. He is a neurosurgeon, and his son is in the same grade as Sebastian. You really must meet them. They really are rather important.
you paint such a pretty picture :lol: I nearly wet myself at Crispin :smt005
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
deviant

Post by deviant »

Madame brussell's ftw!!

very impressive, great concept.
nic

Post by nic »

yer nice im summer with the big jug drinks (name??) and barsnacks.

how come no one has mentioned brown alley?
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

Baroque

8)
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

dust wrote:Went to Riverland the other night. Very nice Six Degrees designed bar and great drinks. I thought it would be too cold this time of year but they have big umbrellas and good heaters. Very recommended.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2006/ ... l?from=rss
Yeah the river is goodness. always good after work Fridays (Better for summer though)
deviant wrote:Madame brussell's ftw!!

very impressive, great concept.
Nice one mang! Was gonna mention the Madame's!! I like this place!!
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
gnat

Post by gnat »

C.I.A. wrote:John is sleeping with his new PA, but it's ok, he got me that Range Rover I've been wanting. Midnight blue, to bring out my botox. Crispin and Moira came over for dinner last weekend. He is a neurosurgeon, and his son is in the same grade as Sebastian. You really must meet them. They really are rather important.

Bwahahaha C.I.A

Meyer Place has Loop, Lily Black, Meyer Bar and what's the other one with the caravan setup, I been there too

Robot is cool. Mad sake list but uncomfortable seats

Golden Monkey was meh. Gin Palace needs less knob jockeys too

Haven't been to Eurotrash yet. Going for a bday soon. They also barred our entry to the Toff the other night- too 'casual'. Whatevs

Rooftop one above Cookie has best view but could not for cold windy up there or plastic tumblers of gin

Have to check out Murmur. This is all useful. Can't believe you didn't nominate the Bond Bar nic :teef:
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

nic wrote:yer nice im summer with the big jug drinks (name??) and barsnacks.
Aah... good ol' Spearmint Rhino.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

For me personally... I'd much rather a decent, comfy pub than a bar any day of the week.

Points for variety (and pricing) of tap beer, pool tables, comfortable surrounds, nice pub-style food, beer garden option, friendly staff and wank-free patrons.

Terminus in Nth. Richmond, Great Britain in Richmond, P.J O'Briens Southbank (strictly not in peak-hour), Belgian Beer Cafe, the list goes on...
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Direktor wrote:For me personally... I'd much rather a decent, comfy pub than a bar any day of the week.

Points for variety (and pricing) of tap beer, pool tables, comfortable surrounds, nice pub-style food, beer garden option, friendly staff and wank-free patrons.
Too true. Was introduced to pubs well before bars and clubs so have a deep seated love for all that stuff you mentioned.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

The Mixtress wrote:
Direktor wrote:For me personally... I'd much rather a decent, comfy pub than a bar any day of the week.

Too true. Was introduced to pubs well before bars and clubs so have a deep seated love for all that stuff you mentioned.
:D Good work Mixie! :D
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

Stray wrote: Bear Brass at Southbank won best bar bistro.

Belgian Beer Cafe Eureka was best for beer lovers, the Portland Hotel in Russell St was named best value, with the best cocktails at Croft Institute in Croft Alley.
bear arse for best bistro? that place is a shithole.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Still haven't been to the Belgian @ Eureka.... does it have an outside area?
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

i'm with direkt - give me a nice comfy pub
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

shepherd wrote:i'm with direkt - give me a nice comfy pub
Looks like we've found our venue for the first installment of "Grumpy Old Men" mate! :lol:
elysium

Post by elysium »

C.I.A. wrote:I have the world's most pretentious bar as my local and I hate it (my liver is thanking me though).
you live near baroq??!
I'm in a loop, I am the loop...
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

does anynoe know the name if a bar that is upstairs, i think on collins or perhaps bourke st...
you catch the lift up in the foyer of a hotel and the bar has huge leather booths, and crazy decor, flokced chandeliers and moose heads.
big round bar with a back section.....windows open onto the street below

???

i went there on a scout a while ago, and was blown away, but cant remeber where it is, or what it is???
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

elysium wrote:
you live near baroq??!

:lol:
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

ghetto kitty wrote:does anynoe know the name if a bar that is upstairs, i think on collins or perhaps bourke st...
you catch the lift up in the foyer of a hotel and the bar has huge leather booths, and crazy decor, flokced chandeliers and moose heads.

???

i went there on a scout a while ago, and was blown away, but cant remeber where it is, or what it is???
Sounds like the supper club (Spring Street).
spiral

Post by spiral »

Standard Hotel Fitzroy, Lincoln Hotel Carlton, Town Hall NMelb are all winners
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

C.I.A. wrote:
ghetto kitty wrote:does anynoe know the name if a bar that is upstairs, i think on collins or perhaps bourke st...

???

hmmm dont think it is, but not sure ...will have to go on another scout mission.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

spiral wrote:
Standard Hotel Fitzroy, Lincoln Hotel Carlton, Town Hall NMelb are all winners
Yep, the Standard is a good spot.
unsoundbwoy

Post by unsoundbwoy »

depending on which neighbourhood i'm in
and in some kinda order of preference

radio. gertrude st. fitzroy
pushka. off lt collins. city.
troika. lt lonsdale. city.
brunswick green. sydney rd. brunswick.
prudence. victoria st. north melbourne.
vodka borscht and tears. chapel st. windsor.
open studio. high st. northcote.
Last edited by unsoundbwoy on Mon May 28, 2007 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

unsoundbwoy wrote:open studio. high st. northcote.
Is that the place we went to the time it was really fucking hot? You, me, Mal and Jarod (and some other guy whose name escapes me)?
unsoundbwoy

Post by unsoundbwoy »

The Mixtress wrote:
Is that the place we went to the time it was really fucking hot? You, me, Mal and Jarod (and some other guy whose name escapes me)?
nope.
that was wesley ann.

funny story though, the evil bar wench that day that irritated me so much that day is my girlfriend now.
bwahaha

and the other guy was my friend mike.
and it was like 45 degrees at least.
memories.
Last edited by unsoundbwoy on Mon May 28, 2007 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deviant

Post by deviant »

ghetto kitty wrote:
C.I.A. wrote:

???

hmmm dont think it is, but not sure ...will have to go on another scout mission.
:shock: how could I forget... I had a super awesome dinner there a little while back.

what's even more :shock: is that this is the old carlton club hotel... THE grossest/seadiest bar inna Melbourne... EVERYTHING is velvet, the stuffed animals, the lights, the ceiling, the booths. Crazy lighting too.
unsoundbwoy

Post by unsoundbwoy »

deviant wrote: what's even more :shock: is that this is the old carlton club hotel... THE grossest/seadiest bar inna Melbourne... EVERYTHING is velvet, the stuffed animals, the lights, the ceiling, the booths. Crazy lighting too.
the boys spent a long time on that one, think they were closed for about 6 months
gnat

Post by gnat »

where's 3 below nic?
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

Supper club is really nice!! Go the Shofferhoffers (sp?)

# deg below is in the city square nat-wah below the Westin hotel.
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

unsoundbwoy wrote:
The Mixtress wrote:
nope.
that was wesley ann.

funny story though, the evil bar wench that day that irritated me so much that day is my girlfriend now.
bwahaha

and the other guy was my friend mike.
and it was like 45 degrees at least.
memories.
Girlfriend now ay?? My my G, you werk in mysterious ways :shock:
Mike...that's it. Thanks.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

unsoundbwoy wrote:
deviant wrote: what's even more :shock: is that this is the old carlton club hotel... THE grossest/seadiest bar inna Melbourne... EVERYTHING is velvet, the stuffed animals, the lights, the ceiling, the booths. Crazy lighting too.
the boys spent a long time on that one, think they were closed for about 6 months
okay it IS the supper club > sorry i doubted CIA!

apparently they spent big too, and you can tell, its dope in there.
unsoundbwoy

Post by unsoundbwoy »

last thursday ...
4 quick rounds at troika after work before going out ...
each round one shot wybrowa and a shoffehoffer heffeweise ...
no better start to a night possible
deviant

Post by deviant »

ghetto kitty wrote:
unsoundbwoy wrote:
okay it IS the supper club > sorry i doubted CIA!

apparently they spent big too, and you can tell, its dope in there.
no it isn't, it is the Carlton Hotel.

Supper club is on Spring Street

this is the joint you mean...

http://www.theage.com.au/news/bar-revie ... 68584.html
gnat

Post by gnat »

ah coolio on 3 below

supper club is awesome but always packed. best wine list. great end to the night wind down

last time i was there i saw patti and bert lol
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

ADD_Boy wrote:Supper club is really nice!! Go the Shofferhoffers (sp?)

# deg below is in the city square nat-wah below the Westin hotel.
Damn straight ADD_Boy. Schofferhofer be the business.

Bloody Dan Murphy's has stopped selling it in sixers though. I was picking up a 6'er of the white for like $17 a month or so ago.

You like the white or orange best?
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

Depends on the mood man!!

I liek the clears on a hot day, the pales for warmer weather..

I remember the 1st time I had them , had 4, $40.00 later, go to get up .. Fark I'm a little pissed.. ha ha
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
unsoundbwoy

Post by unsoundbwoy »

shofferhoffer heffeweise (orange) ftw
gnat

Post by gnat »

what's that wine bar in fed square to the left of the gallery? anyone?