Isolating instruments via visuals zomg

Tips, hints, help, tech support, setups, systems and all things related to making phat beats. Post your latest production for all to hear & review. Or quiz the resident nerds about that tech problem you just can't figure out.
nic

Re: Isolating instruments via visuals zomg

Post by nic »

wow thats excekkelent.
a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

That's a pretty trivial example - it glosses over the fact that this technique wouldn't work for other more complex sounds.
nic

Post by nic »

oh
:c
A_SN

Post by A_SN »

a1studmuffin wrote:That's a pretty trivial example - it glosses over the fact that this technique wouldn't work for other more complex sounds.
lol, no, trust me, it's anything but trivial. It does sound like a simple sound, but the fact that it has actually a myriad of ever increasingly closer and dimmer overtones that quickly get lost in the noise of drums make it actually quite a tough sound to extract. What would you consider a less trivial type of sound to extract?
mrj

Post by mrj »

dubstep?
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

A_SN wrote:
a1studmuffin wrote:That's a pretty trivial example - it glosses over the fact that this technique wouldn't work for other more complex sounds.
lol, no, trust me, it's anything but trivial. It does sound like a simple sound, but the fact that it has actually a myriad of ever increasingly closer and dimmer overtones that quickly get lost in the noise of drums make it actually quite a tough sound to extract. What would you consider a less trivial type of sound to extract?
I'm sure it would have taken whoever did it awhile to highlight every harmonic of the sound accurately, but it's still a very simple sound - basically just 7-8 overtones of varying volume levels of a simple sine wave, hence the simple frequency response of just a few parallel lines. I think a lot of brass instruments would have this kind of response so would be easy to extract... but consider something like a nice fuzzy distorted electric guitar sound... not so simple... :)
tactik

Post by tactik »

Interesting stuff.

Reminds me of the thing Aphex Twin did. In one of his tunes he put a sound that, when watched through spectral analysis... turned into an image of his head.