Melbourne, the place to be?

This is the forum for all things Melbourne beats. Post your gigs and other Melbourne music related information here. Keep it about the music and music only, please keep on topic.
nophin

Melbourne, the place to be?

Post by nophin »

Heya mates! Im from sweden and im planning a trip to australia around early december somewhere. Will go on a 1 year working visa and during this time i hope i can experience some of that good australian music and clubbin'. Been to Melbourne once. It was over new year, went to Sensation and it was great!

I listen to loads of different electronic music, ranging from house(prog/french/deep)/electro/trance/harddance/uk hardcore/dubstep and a bit of drum n bass.

Im wondering if Melbourne is the place i should go and settle for a while? Is there alot of the above mentioned musicstyles playing in the clubs/events of Melbourne?

Any tips and information is welcome!

One of the main reasons im goin to OZ is because of the music! It was like a dream seeing all the posters of awesome events and dj's playing around new years! :D

anywho, take care. gief tips! ;)
ghetto kitty

Re: Melbourne, the place to be?

Post by ghetto kitty »

In short, yes.

If your into music of those genres, and your coming to live in Oz, melbs is where it's at.

;)
Baddums

Post by Baddums »

if you're into music PERIOD, come to Melbourne. it's the music capital of the country, hands down.
FunkyJ

Post by FunkyJ »

Baddums wrote:if you're into music PERIOD, come to Melbourne. it's the music capital of the country, hands down.
This.

Best decision I made was to come to Melbourne.
Ready to drop, Audio rock, here comes the boy from the South!
-= www.funkyj.com =-
nophin

Post by nophin »

Great, thanks alot!
Andrez

Post by Andrez »

Baddums wrote:if you're into music PERIOD, come to Melbourne. it's the music capital of the country, hands down.
Agree - miss my dose of Melbs muzak.
SoulWhiteMan

Post by SoulWhiteMan »

DO NOT GO TO CANBERRA!
nophin

Post by nophin »

Thanks for the tips guys! By the way, are there happy hardcore/uk hardcore events or clubs in melbourne? Or would i have to go somewhere else in Oz to find it?
bobby bob bob
Location: Bob Fossil's Funpark, near the black & white Chinese people that eat sticks

Post by bobby bob bob »

SoulWhiteMan wrote:DO NOT GO TO CANBERRA!
DO NOT GO TO WOLF CREEK!
konk

Post by konk »

Melbourne is the best city in AUS.. Sydney is cultured.. but the people aren't as nice. I find sydney too ruushed, You will find alot of melbourne people say this aswell..

Sydney is for visiting/holidaying and melbourne is for living.
Baddums

Post by Baddums »

Sydney is a great place to visit for sure!!
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

Baddums wrote:Sydney is a great place to visit for sure!!
I would rather spend a few extra bucks and go to NZ. Once you have seen the bridge, house and harbour, Sydney is just like Canberra

melbourne is definitely the music capital of OZ, a very broad range of genres are found wherever you venture within the CBD and surrounding suburbs..
Upcoming....
DNB Sessions Sundays 10.30pm // KISSFM.com.au // 87.6FM
Total Science - 26th June @ Mercat
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

Melbourne is the Lady and Sydney is the Tramp IMHO.

I said that Sydney is a good place for a holiday for a couple of years before I packed up and moved to up here with work

Don't knock it till you try it.

The big difference is the beaches & the weather - living on the coast is cool whilst being 10-15 minutes from town, traffic & driving Sucks dick up here though.
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

Melbourne rules...Sydney is cool (only because Feigs and friends live there though). Basically, if you go to Sydney without sleeping on Feigs couch then you haven't been to Sydney. That's like an AFL draft without Carlton cheating...it's never done!!!

:D
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

Dat's right - Feigan's (MY) couch is the business.

it looks like it has elephant ears!
FullGain

Post by FullGain »

For sure.
I'll be back.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Bear in mind that most of use here are Melb residents, or ex-pats... but yeah, we have a very diverse music scene here in Melbourne, especially of the electronic variety.

Also bear in mind that the posters you saw around town for New Years were for New Years - and the holidays. We still get a great array of talent throughout the year, but over the summer months and especially New Years Melbourne drowns in touring internationals.

Having said that, I agree that Melbourne has the culture; great food, nightlife, music and sport - whereas Sydney has by far better beaches.
J Brutal

Post by J Brutal »

Not much UK hardcore around though bro...
: (
Brutal 8/8 Vedette
Amick

Post by Amick »

nophin wrote: By the way, are there happy hardcore/uk hardcore events or clubs in melbourne? Or would i have to go somewhere else in Oz to find it?
We have a massive donk scene here.

:donk:

:teef:
nophin

Post by nophin »

Direkt wrote:
Also bear in mind that the posters you saw around town for New Years were for New Years - and the holidays. We still get a great array of talent throughout the year, but over the summer months and especially New Years Melbourne drowns in touring internationals.
Yeah i know, that its "peak-season" for big acts. But i was just kinda overwhelmed by all the great dj's playing around that time. Here in Sweden we dont get much when it comes to different sorts of electronic music, any time of year. Down there, there is a large interest for such acts/music which doesnt exist up here.

Anyway, thx for answers you guys. Prolly wont stay in Melbourne all the time, gonna check other places out aswell. But thats after sensation and some of the summer festivals :D
nic

Post by nic »

:donk:
autumnleaves

Post by autumnleaves »

nophin wrote:
Direkt wrote:
Yeah i know, that its "peak-season" for big acts. But i was just kinda overwhelmed by all the great dj's playing around that time. Here in Sweden we dont get much when it comes to different sorts of electronic music, any time of year. Down there, there is a large interest for such acts/music which doesnt exist up here.

Anyway, thx for answers you guys. Prolly wont stay in Melbourne all the time, gonna check other places out aswell. But thats after sensation and some of the summer festivals :D

Hi

I'm coming to Sweden :) Any recommendations for places to go for good music? ie places, clubs, etc? I'm actually going to be living in Norway (heh... there is a rivalry, right?), but I'd like to spend a fair bit of time in Sweden.
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

nophin wrote:
Direkt wrote: Anyway, thx for answers you guys. Prolly wont stay in Melbourne all the time, gonna check other places out aswell. But thats after sensation and some of the summer festivals :D
you will not leave melbourne, i have heard numerous backpackers/travellers say they will, but they get sucked into the vortex like i did..... ahhhh, the vortex..

if you dont know about the :nic: :donk: i suggest you educate yourself

ps. deviant has cool hair
Upcoming....
DNB Sessions Sundays 10.30pm // KISSFM.com.au // 87.6FM
Total Science - 26th June @ Mercat
nophin

Post by nophin »

autumnleaves wrote:
nophin wrote:
Direkt wrote:

Hi

I'm coming to Sweden :) Any recommendations for places to go for good music? ie places, clubs, etc? I'm actually going to be living in Norway (heh... there is a rivalry, right?), but I'd like to spend a fair bit of time in Sweden.

Awwh thats nice :) Jobs usually pays better in Norway, but its more expensive to live over there i think. Anyway when it comes to places you wanna visit id say Södermalm, nice ppl, nice atmosphere and so on. To go clubbing id say go to Stureplan probably, plays decent house and so on, you'll see loads of hot chicks. But there is alot of snobbyness and uptight ppl around clubs in that area. Generally you'll find many people from around here(Stockholm) are very uptight, but there are nice ones aswell :D. Stockholm is a very beautiful city with its water surroundings and so on, go to Gamla Stan and check it out!
Come during summertime, when all the swedish blondes are walking the streets, quite a sight actually :D

Also go visit Göteborg, nice ppl, some decent clubs(park lane).

The electronic music scene in Stockholm/Sweden is not big, but hopefully you'll find some nice gigs and events to go to.

Anyway
Hope you have fun here :)