bass

Tips, hints, help, tech support, setups, systems and all things related to making phat beats. Post your latest production for all to hear & review. Or quiz the resident nerds about that tech problem you just can't figure out.
Spherix

bass

Post by Spherix »

a tech tip that i never thought about that came up last week, and i can now see is an essential part of creating a dynamically crucial bassline that destroys subs:

the part of a waveform that lies above the centre line, is the part of the sound that pushes the speaker cone outward, throwing the sound, where as the lower part of the wave sucks thecone back in
therefore to make sure you have full dynamics and punch when the kick and bassline are playing in unison, youd hafta make sure when you resample your bass to put in the sampler, it is cut so that the very first portion of the wave is on the up, otherwise it and the kick will cancel each other out

thanks to anthony for bringing that to my attention, very good tip i thought
lowercase//Immerse//Tube10//BareDubs//Sub Continental Dub//On The Edge//Camino Blue
Shadowgames

Post by Shadowgames »

good tip indeed. also applies when layering sounds (far example: multiple kick drums). phase coherancy when laying will give your sounds that extra punch & solid bottom end which is needed in the kick / sub area.
Spherix

Post by Spherix »

\m/
lowercase//Immerse//Tube10//BareDubs//Sub Continental Dub//On The Edge//Camino Blue
calstro

Post by calstro »

Cool... I always edit my samples that way anyways...

Didn't know it would have that bonus effect too....

Thanks for sharing man... :smt077
CoB

Post by CoB »

yeah, im the same as calstro! i have always cut my samples on the way up.. it makes sense for some reason, that has nothing to do with what u have said, in my brain :p
good to know im doing somin right! hehe
lucas
emission reductionist

Post by lucas »

Nice one.

Also, side-chaining/ducking is something that's worth experimenting with a bit if your bass is drowning out your kick.
"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted." - Martin Luther King Jr.
Spherix

Post by Spherix »

side chianing is cool, otherwise just EQing correctly will do it for ye
factory worker

Post by factory worker »

remembering with EQ, that it's preferrable to take out the frequencies causing mayhem or being unwanted, and not too just boost the ones that may sound bettwe/ best/ good.
The best way to cure a broken heart is to give the pieces away
Spherix

Post by Spherix »

yes yes
CoB

Post by CoB »

unless u want it to sound slightly dodgy..
and what is side chaining?
lucas
emission reductionist

Post by lucas »

Spherix wrote:side chianing is cool, otherwise just EQing correctly will do it for ye
Hrm...

I dunno, I don't think that EQing correctly necessarily eliminates the need for side chaining from your kick.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a complete EQ Nazi. But when there's space in the frequency spectrum that is -only- used by the kick and is empty for the rest of the time... sometimes it's nice to sneak some sound in there.
"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted." - Martin Luther King Jr.
lucas
emission reductionist

Post by lucas »

I suppose it also depends on how much you're actually triggering the kick sample.

If you're triggering it a lot then perhaps you wanna keep your kick freq. range empty.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
lucas
emission reductionist

Post by lucas »

CoB wrote:and what is side chaining?
Suppose you have a bass and a drum track (both Audio, and not MIDI). However, it seems that the kick drum sound gets "blurred" because of the bass: both have to coexist in approximately the same frequency range, and the presence of the bass tends to overwhelm the kick drum. It would thus be nice if the bass was a bit softer each time the kick drum hits. The solution is known as "ducking" (the bass "ducks" each time the kick hits). On the bass track, insert a Compressor. However, instead of letting the bass sound itself trigger the Compressor (as would normally be the case), you now pick the kick drum track from the Side Chain popup menu in the compressor. (Note that the names of the Audio Objects will not show up in the popup; you have to pick the right object by looking at the Object's parameter pane or on its channel strip, right below its Output popup). Additionally (important) you have to switch off "Auto Gain" in the Compressor. What you have now is a bass track that only gets compressed when the kick drum is active, thus creating a kind of "pocket" for the kick to sit inside. As for the Auto Gain: when this is on, Logic will compensate the attenuation that takes place in the Compressor, by amplifying the output signal. In this particular case you explicitly do not want that to happen: the entire idea is centred around getting the bass to play softer. Auto Gain would destroy that.
http://www.spinwarp.com/modules.php?op= ... 436d42d301
Shadowgames

Post by Shadowgames »

side chaining the sub compressor with the kick signal is always a good idea if the track has a really low kick in the region of the sub frequencies.

notching a hole with a parametic eq is also helpful.

a combination of the two is even better 8)

although sidechaing can be a right pain in the arse using VST plugins, it's a walk in the park with a 'real life' analog compressor.
lucas
emission reductionist

Post by lucas »

Yep.

In any case... I had no idea about the cone outward/inward thing. Great tip!