The Offical "Miners Just walked Free" thread!

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
Fents

The Offical "Miners Just walked Free" thread!

Post by Fents »

Boh.

Been there since anzac day. Fuckin good on em.

I reckon their gonna write a book fo shure. :thegreatescape:
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

watching it on the news now.. everyone is down at the pub getting plastered :D
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

Was listening to Nova on the way to work - there tip

"Tele Movie"
gnat

Post by gnat »

It made me smile when they came out and hung their cards up like they'd just clocked off after a shift :lol:

Man, they would REEEEK to high hell :?

All the mags and papers will be clambering for a story- they can prob retire nicely on it.

Damn straight Fents- bloody good on em!
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

It is a great thing they made it out - there pushing to get released from hospital today aswell to attend the funeral of the third miner @ 1pm

Good on em!
valuetime

Post by valuetime »

yes, good news.

now let's call them heroes, erect a statue, interview them on today tonight, produce the telemovie, sell the book rights and MOVE THE FUCK ON.
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

The PM's making a statement now.... he's basically big uping himself.. blah blah.. :roll:
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

I cried. :cry: I know how happy I'd be if I got my Dad back.

Valuetime, give them a few minutes in the sun for heaven's sake. They JUST walked out! :roll: Sheesh man!
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
valuetime

Post by valuetime »

a few minutes? we're gonna be hearing about this for WEEKS.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

valuetime wrote:a few minutes? we're gonna be hearing about this for WEEKS.
You said "move the fuck on" in capitals, as in I'm over it already. I just reckon give them their week in the sun, and before you know it some new shiny thing will come take our concentration away again, as usual. :roll:
Little Evil

Post by Little Evil »

Awesome.
Could barely wake up this morning, and was spewing about having to work.
Then saw that on the TV, and it made my day.

Nice one guys.
One tough pair of dudes, who really should be commended highly for their bravery and fortitude.

Sort of gives you a bit of faith that the world isn't totally fucked doesn't it? :D
Last edited by Little Evil on Tue May 09, 2006 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
sneaky hands

Post by sneaky hands »

im with you valuetime

why this event was so important that three quarters of australians "news" media had to go down for the entire week is beyond me. actually its not really, clearly its a tearjerking ratings winner, shame people dont seem to care about ethnic cleansing in sudan as much.
sneaky flow like cash flow
on the first of the month
for broke cats that's thirst for the blunt
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

sneaky hands wrote:im with you valuetime

why this event was so important that three quarters of australians "news" media had to go down for the entire week is beyond me. actually its not really, clearly its a tearjerking ratings winner, shame people dont seem to care about ethnic cleansing in sudan as much.
Jesus Christ, are you serious??

:smt009
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

good point sneaky.

But YAY for these blokes. good on em. :smt041
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
sneaky hands

Post by sneaky hands »

dont get it twisted, im glad they walked out, and it sure would have been an ordeal, its just that compared to countless people undergoing hardship and being killed every day i dont think its front page type stuff. heartwarming, maybe. important? not really.
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

Would be a shame to turn this into a bitching or comparison thread.. :?

I really don't think any of us can make a criticism unless we ourselves had spent over 300 hours cramped under ground in a pitch black, hot, hole... breathing stale air with no idea when a we were going to be get out... let alone the possibility you could get crushed to death at any minute.. takes a lot of guts.

There is going to be a media frenzy, that's a given. If that bothers you, switch off the tv/radio and don't read the papers :D
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

sneaky hands wrote:dont get it twisted, im glad they walked out, and it sure would have been an ordeal, its just that compared to countless people undergoing hardship and being killed every day i dont think its front page type stuff. heartwarming, maybe. important? not really.
When have news media EVER given a toss about the Sudanese??

So if it's between these miners or Angelina Jolie deciding to marry in Namibia, I chose a story about the miners thanks.

Let them have their time, don't ruin it by comparing them to others more or less fortunate. Today, it's about these two blokes and their mates who didn't give up. It's a nice story, let it be told.
gnat

Post by gnat »

Charity begins at home it is said

Their time trapped down there at least demonstrates strength of mind and character and sheer tenacity

As opposed to our other 'big' news story of the week- Shane Warne's ongoing debauchery. I couldn't care less what that dickhead does. I think it's just lovely that he's a major role model for Aussie kids.
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
Fents

Post by Fents »

Apparently its "FREE" beer at the pub down in Launie. Might just have to book a flight down there this morning.
sneaky hands

Post by sneaky hands »

The Mixtress wrote:It's a nice story, let it be told.
all seven billion, over dramatised times. :roll:

rofl fents i reckon youd be able to drink your flight money back no worries.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

sneaky hands wrote:
The Mixtress wrote:It's a nice story, let it be told.
all seven billion, over dramatised times. :roll:
If they'd been freed on the 26th of April, and the news stories were still going today, I'd understand your point of view. If the news stories are still going a week from now, again, I'll agree with you.

But they just got out, like 5 hours ago!!! They haven't even been released from hospital yet!
gnat

Post by gnat »

300 hours pissing and shitting in close quarters, in the dark, in a space as big as a double bed..

I would have gone fucking stir crazy. Tell me anyone could take that then walk out punching the air...

These guys are of extraordinary character and that's newsworthy IMO
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

gnat wrote:300 hours pissing and shitting in close quarters, in the dark, in a space as big as a double bed..

I would have gone fucking stir crazy. Tell me anyone could take that then walk out punching the air...

:scr1pt:
quick

Post by quick »

Bloody good on them... 8)
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Quick I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!!! Is that your King Charles??
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

stovequeen wrote:Would be a shame to turn this into a bitching or comparison thread.. :?

I really don't think any of us can make a criticism unless we ourselves had spent over 300 hours cramped under ground in a pitch black, hot, hole... breathing stale air with no idea when a we were going to be get out... let alone the possibility you could get crushed to death at any minute.. takes a lot of guts.

There is going to be a media frenzy, that's a given. If that bothers you, switch off the tv/radio and don't read the papers :D

:scr1pt: nice one Fi, well fuckin put.

Sneaky Hands, you make valid points, but give it a rest on this one.
quick

Post by quick »

The Mixtress wrote:Quick I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!!! Is that your King Charles??
yep, my cute little pup over in Perth. :D
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

quick wrote:
more pics please!!!
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

The Mixtress wrote:
quick wrote:
more pics please!!!
Ohh, in the correct thread, of course :wink:
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

I thought it was great news to hear this morning that they were free and out! Hooray. Beats waking up to hear a plane has crashed into the Two Towers :S

Yes the media were a bunch of gooses, but within the 1st five words of a broadcast you could tell if they were out or not, and disregard the rest of the bulletin. That's what I did.

In any case, I'm glad it has been a happy ending for them, and for us, as if it hadn't Pete Costello's budget announcement might not have got a good scrutinising! The Howard Govt loves a big story to take the spotlight of them.
Just because I rock, doesn't mean I'm made of stone.
flippo

Post by flippo »

If we here about it for ages, it's not about glorifying their personal effort and being heroes, It's more about a shot in the arm to remind us how precious human life is, about helping fellow humans. It's about how happy the families are that they got their Dad/Husband/Brother/Son back. It could have been easy to give up not long before they found them, but they didn't, and it payed off. It's the kind of story that makes people glad to be alive. That's got to be a good thing.
I'd rather here about these blokes for 3 weeks than hear some other pointless bullshit about Tom Cruise of Paris Hilton.
Fents

Post by Fents »

Dont forget the two people that died... :(
dirty dave

Post by dirty dave »

did you actually contact the people at the mine to tell them that you were doing this thread cos otherwise i feel that it's not really "official"
flippo

Post by flippo »

Fents wrote:Dont forget the two people that died... :(
that's part of it aswell fents, that's part of realising that we are not here forever, and how wonderful it is just to be alive.

I will say though, it will be a damn shame if the rescue of these blokes overshadows the mining company getting a drilling over why the fuck they we're being so reckless with the condition of the mine.
almax

Post by almax »

i was having mad dreams about being down in that mine last night myself, very spooky cause then it turned into like a doom game where all these creatures were coming out of the darkness!

then woke this morning to hear the news, brought a lump to my throat, good on em.

othere news just to hand, Michael Jackson is now headed back to the US from Tassie after learning that there was no longer two minors trapped :roll:
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

valuetime wrote:a few minutes? we're gonna be hearing about this for WEEKS.
Seriously - wayyyyyyy too much coverage IMO.

In all honesty - I think they've had more coverage than major NATIONAL tragedy's like the recent cyclone's, even Ash Wednesday etc. One dude died (and that sucks and I feel for the family) and 2 dudes were trapped for almost 2 weeks - it hardly deserves 2 x 15min bulletin's saying "there's been no developments" during Hotel Babylon last night... Alongside the constant 'update banners' and other press coverage, major media saturation.

And don't think it's done out of support for the family. It's done for $$$.

But good on the guys for getting out, and sincere sympathy for the family of the deceased.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

gnat wrote:300 hours pissing and shitting in close quarters, in the dark, in a space as big as a double bed..

Ken oath - that would have been tough. No wonder they requested a shower as their first thing when they got out...
Little Evil

Post by Little Evil »

Direktor wrote:

Ken oath - that would have been tough. No wonder they requested a shower as their first thing when they got out...
Word.
You could never put these dudes down - they've been through hell, and as lots of Aussies tend to do, they play it down, so as they can deal with the horror they've just been through.
I think they are absolute champions.

Things like this restore my faith in humanity.
So glad they are out.
Have to admit I had a bit of tear in my eye this morning when I saw the footage of them walking free.
Really made my day. :D
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

bloody stoked that they're out

how boring would the book, or telemovie be?? It's not as if alot happened
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
Friday

Post by Friday »

sure there has been what could be seen as way too much coverage. i totally understand why though and don't think it is fair to put it down. in times when we do hear a lot of negatives in the news, bombings, war, car wrecks, famine, disease etc it is really nice to hear about a story that totally defies the odds. that shows people's resilience and fighting spirit and displays how hard people will work to help out their mates.

it’s a story that gives people hope and as many people in this thread say, has made them smile. what is wrong with dedicating news time to that?
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Nothing wrong IMO. It's just the amount of time dedicated to it that I (and others) are talking about.

But, I'm not trying to take anything away from what has happened. I just haven't seen that amount of relative hype generated by the media before.
lynt

Post by lynt »

stovequeen wrote:Would be a shame to turn this into a bitching or comparison thread.. :?

These guys are legends. If anyone has read the news report you'd see that they walked out & clocked out their time cards as well. I think that's fucking gold and they got my entire support. They're in good physical condition and, to be able to still hold your head up after 2 weeks in a cage 1km below the earth in constant 30 degree heat is amazing.

I mean, check em out!

They love life, and don't seem like the kinda of blokes who would make a whole heap of noise about it.

Sure the media is gonna milk it, but just find the right media source for you and STFU, give these dudes some grace.
FliP

Post by FliP »

regardless of all the above.. did anyone hear bout the foo fighters effort?
the 2 guys asked for some foo fighters music to be sent down a couple of days ago cause they were bored as.. and news travelled quickly to Grohl who then released that they could have tickets to one of their concerts anywhere in the world, and that they would also come for a beer with them anywhere in the world.

seems like theres soon gonna be a big fuckin party in beaconsfield..
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

:roll:

I don't believe anyone has said anything negative about the miners themselves. They're dead-set legends, no argument here. :D

Put the emotions aside, the argument is against the media coverage (which we've been bombarded with).

I'm going to stop now though, people seem awfully sensitive about this topic, maybe this is the wrong time and place for these comments.

Happy times, happy times :D

RE: Dave Grohl - what a champion!
bobinabottle

Post by bobinabottle »

Little Evil wrote:You could never put these dudes down - they've been through hell, and as lots of Aussies tend to do, they play it down, so as they can deal with the horror they've just been through.
I think they are absolute champions.

Things like this restore my faith in humanity.
So glad they are out.
Have to admit I had a bit of tear in my eye this morning when I saw the footage of them walking free.
Really made my day. :D

Couldn't have said it better myself. I don't have any problem at all with the amount of media coverage, people want to know about what is happening, so the media give updates. I would say almost everyone in Australia wants to know that they are okay, so they will give updates all day. Not everyone watches tv or listens to radio at the same time, so they repeat themselves.

I think particular attention should be paid to all the people involved in the rescue effort - I mean I have nothing but respect for the two miners that got out safely and had to endure the two weeks underground, but the people who worked around the clock to get them out are the true heroes. To you men and women, I give two big thumbs up! :thumbleft: :thumbright: :smt041 :smt041

The feeling of community is what really gets me about this whole saga, it truly makes me proud to be an Australian to see how the whole community has supported these men.

As a side note seeing koshie shout the beaconsfield pub a round of beers was a good laugh this morning :lol:
Last edited by bobinabottle on Tue May 09, 2006 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lynt

Post by lynt »

Direktor wrote:Put the emotions aside, the argument is against the media coverage (which we've been bombarded with).
Yep, and it's a fruitless argument at that. Media is always gonna blow shit out of proportion, we should know this by now. There's no point whinging about it, best to source your preferred media source and stick with it.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Direktor wrote:But, I'm not trying to take anything away from what has happened. I just haven't seen that amount of relative hype generated by the media before.
i agree that theyre heros and should be given due amount of time to bask in thier rescue...

BUT i agree with some of the others here who wonder at the equality of the medias coverage...
in the last two weeks, the main stories have been the little grrl with the burns who was hit by a car, and the miners trapped alive...
now, for sure we need these kinds of stories to keep humans thinknig about humans, plus what better way to regain faith in humanity than to see our compadres triumphing against all odds...

BUT there is carnage going on DAILY that we do not see, there is triumphs going on we do not hear about, both in our own backyard ond overseas, and these issues deserve at least a BIT of our airwaves.

i didnt see them emerge today, so i missed the moment that probably would have squeezed a tear or two, but last night i was pretty disgusted at the updates about nothing, treating it like tsunami number two, when the mere scale of this is TINY....
its like the news goes....

andtheresbeenanotherwarnuclearriotingworldwide

and heres- a- picture- of- a- dog- on- a- skateboard...!!!!!!!

still, i wish them all the best and it does make you proud to be human when we get a chance to rally together and CARE doesnt it??!
now, i only wish that would happen without a life-or-death crisis....

:?
lynt

Post by lynt »

ghetto kitty wrote:now, i only wish that would happen without a life-or-death crisis....
Totally, it sucks how sometimes it takes tragedy to give us a perspective on life.
nic

Post by nic »

Its done wonders for Launcestons slowing tourist numbers. The huge amount of media coverage has booked out alot of Launceston.

Naomi Robson needs a whole city block in every city she visits.

Great to see hands in teh air plurage from teh boys after 14 days of ravign in a dirty dark club. Makes 2 nights in a row seem really tame.

Hope these guys bleed Womans Day for all the money they can get.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

yeah i heard about the Dave Grohl thing too. What a nice guy to do that for them :D but i love Dave Grohl, so its just given me another reason to respect the dude moreso :D 8)