A fashion observation

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
Direkt

A fashion observation

Post by Direkt »

Uggghhhh!!!!

If you're like me, you would have grown up with all the hype over the NBA and associated Amercian sporting institutions.
Remember the reign of Boston, LA and Chicago in the NBA?
Remember how cool it was to wear caps and clothing with said logo's/emblem's on it? Particularly Chicago during Jordan's reign.
Come to think of it, up till today and most likely tomorrow - it's still cool to wear clothing with anything American on it. Be it a UCLA top, a fake FBI top, a LA Lakers singlet or maybe an NFL cap.

Why isn't it cool to walk around in your Richmond Tigers gear, except on match day? (and no smart-ass remarks about Richmond oright?). :lol:

My point is. It doesn't seem cool to be walking around in homegrown team branding, local uni branding or pretty much anything that identifies you as from some sort of Australian society....

Thoughts?
sneaky hands

Post by sneaky hands »

i reckon its mainly a style thing man.

most of the aussie stuff looks crap.

A white sox cap is cool colours, nice logo, nice style. most afl teams gear is utter shite compared to it. its not like people rock around in teams gear that is shit colours like i dunno you dont see many people in miami dolphins stuff for example.
sneaky flow like cash flow
on the first of the month
for broke cats that's thirst for the blunt
lucas
emission reductionist

Post by lucas »

Agreed. And I'm completely guilty of this too.

Would much rather be wearing my "Trackstar NYC" jersey than my "Ross Harding Cycles Bendigo" one.

*shrugs*
"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted." - Martin Luther King Jr.
sneaky hands

Post by sneaky hands »

lucas wrote: Would much rather be wearing my "Trackstar NYC" jersey than my "Ross Harding Cycles Bendigo" one.
if the ross harding one looked dope youd prolly be sporting it though right?
lucas
emission reductionist

Post by lucas »

sneaky hands wrote:
lucas wrote: Would much rather be wearing my "Trackstar NYC" jersey than my "Ross Harding Cycles Bendigo" one.
if the ross harding one looked dope youd prolly be sporting it though right?
*nods*
"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted." - Martin Luther King Jr.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Good call on the style front.

I still think people would be hesitant in wearing their colours around even if they looked cool. Sure there'd be more people wearing them, but you'd still find a lot of people preferring o/s teams compared to home grown.

just my thoughts
sneaky hands

Post by sneaky hands »

if hawthorn were actually good id probably rock their stuff. :oops: yes i admit i barrack for hawthorn.
nic

Post by nic »

Probably because everything to do with all football stuff is hell bogan, and no no correlation with current fashion unlike alot of US stuff.

P-Diddy wearing a Collingwood jumper?

Now wheres my Michigan Chris Webber singlet and cap dammit.
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

Was at a resort in Tahoe, NorCal. One of the terrain park guys was rocking an Essendon beanie. He said it was the best beanie ever, cos it said "bombers" on it and was black and red. Then he was like "the fact that they are an Aussie (pronnounced "Ossi") football team makes it my favorite beanie".

but over here you won't catch people dead hiking a half-pipe or in a skate-park rocking their hawthorn beanies.

Go figure.
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

sneaky hands wrote:i reckon its mainly a style thing man.

:scr1pt:

AFL gear in particular is the most badly made shit around.

and if you're gonna rock anything from a US team or wahtever, it HAS TO be authentic or STFU and put ya Sweathog hoodie back on
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
DEAN G

Post by DEAN G »

As stated previously, the overall aesthetic of an Australian rules jumper is quite sad. The designs are lame, the colours are boring and even the patterns are cut terribly inaccurate for the common fan.
witty_pseudonym

Re: A fashion observation

Post by witty_pseudonym »

Direktor wrote: Why isn't it cool to walk around in your Richmond Tigers gear, except on match day? (and no smart-ass remarks about Richmond oright?). :lol:
i saw a guy wearing a richmond jersey the other day. he did look (at the risk of sounding judgemental) a sandwich short of a picnic however.

go tiges
Last edited by witty_pseudonym on Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

breaksRbest wrote:
sneaky hands wrote:i reckon its mainly a style thing man.

:scr1pt:

AFL gear in particular is the most badly made shit around.

and if you're gonna rock anything from a US team or wahtever, it HAS TO be authentic or STFU and put ya Sweathog hoodie back on
So true, man. I still wish I had my Knicks jacket from the '80s. Black with Knicks over the front. :madeofawesome:
sneaky hands wrote:if hawthorn were actually good id probably rock their stuff. :oops: yes i admit i barrack for hawthorn.
:scr1pt: Kennett must make this so.
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
CoB

Post by CoB »

soccer jerseys are the shit!

bruk one a dem inna di dance!

but yeah..
i think the style thing is one thing..
but..
also people seem to like america more than australia when it comes to most things.

it is around the world though.. dunno why everoyne sucks americas balls.
it is quite capable of sucking it's own balls.
o/ . . . \o . . . -o . o- . \o/ \o/
Rob M

Post by Rob M »

on that front, how the hell did Billabong and Quicksilver get so popular?

I remember there being a factory outlet here in Melb and nobody would buy their shit, nowdays any old knob who says "stoked" can't get enough of it.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

DEAN G wrote:As stated previously, the overall aesthetic of an Australian rules jumper is quite sad. The designs are lame, the colours are boring and even the patterns are cut terribly inaccurate for the common fan.
couldn't agree more Deano.

But that argument aside - if the clothing looked good. Would people rock it? Or is it more of a USA is cool kinda thing? (Well except for Obliveus that is)
taylem

Post by taylem »

fabolous spends most of his clip for breathe wearing a green and gold adidas trackie with australia on the back....
Rob M

Post by Rob M »

representin' aiiiiiighh!
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Good ol' Fab-Fab aye?

I'm sporting my 'Noosa Beach Australia' T-shirt today to the bemusement of my workmates.

I'm rep'n the O-Z, no doubt brethren!
flippo

Post by flippo »

it's not a trend that's endemic to Australia I don't think. It is in pretty much all cultures exposed to telivision radio and film, mostly western but also others. Style and culture of youth is largley dictated by media and entertainment, media and entertainment is largley dominated by the Unites States.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

^ nice one Flippo. That's what I was getting at
DEAN G

Post by DEAN G »

Direktor wrote:
DEAN G wrote:As stated previously, the overall aesthetic of an Australian rules jumper is quite sad. The designs are lame, the colours are boring and even the patterns are cut terribly inaccurate for the common fan.
couldn't agree more Deano.

But that argument aside - if the clothing looked good. Would people rock it? Or is it more of a USA is cool kinda thing? (Well except for Obliveus that is)
Maybe not most, however my brother is a Hawthorn fan, yet i wouldn't say he follwed the afl much, but i managed to find a half decent looking hawthorn jacket for him to take overseas. His words summed it up, as he even admitted that he wouldnt normally been seen wearing afl merchandise however he actually liked the style of this jacket. So it is possible.

the Noosa Beach top is a classic example of half my pj shirts i reckon. Its quite possible that half my 'night wear' has been purchased from one of those Surfers Paradise t shirt shops, you know the ones. There the shops that have the shirts that depict how many different ways you can hang a terd, or a variation of all boobs that can be found on the beech. Gold i tell you, gold.
Sustain

Post by Sustain »

yeah the style remark def rings true

and even when there is a melb/oz brand which makes good threads, eg. burn crew- it's just as hard to find wear to buy them

australia just doesn't seem to make many good threads
aspekt

Post by aspekt »

I think in the early 90s, america was the best place in the world. everyone i went to primary school with wanted to go there and everything that came out of the US (starter caps with the 5 stitches on the brim, michael jordan, the mighty ducks etc) was the pinnacle of cool. i don't know if kids in primary school these days still think america is the place to be, but i know my feelings towards it has changed.

one interesting phenomena i observed around 2000 were the USA hoodies. These were just plain coloured hoodies in strong colours like yellow, red, blue etc and has U S A in big white letters across the chest. these were amazingly popular and it was not uncommon to see swarms of teenagers all wearing these hoodies. there were some aussie ones as well that were exactly the same except it said A U S and were only popular with tourists. Same letters, different order.

I think within australia it is seen as uncool or daggy to support local teams or sport the aussie flag except on match day, world cup, overseas, cronulla riots etc. It really is an odd kind of patriotism. There is also a definate bogan image associated with AFL jumpers.
At least brands like billabong and quicksilver are pretty big in the states and plenty of other aussie brands are making it big all over the world.

Go ossies.
There's no justice, just us.
*catalyst

Post by *catalyst »

This is a really good thread.

I have noticed this alot lately and I think it can be tied to australian stuff not really being 'cool'.

Is it that australia misrepresents itself? I mean see the c'wealth games mascots? what the fuck?

I wouldn't sport a USA t-shirt or anything like that because of the way I feel about that particular country.

Unfortunately most sports teams and shit mascots and worse names. "Bombers", "Hawks" and "Demons" aren't things I'd like written on an item of clothing I'd wear.

-Lachie
"Anybody want some motherfucking Earl Grey?" -Cleveland
greeneyes

Post by greeneyes »

Can't believe there are people who will suggest that fake FBI tops and NBA caps are inherently cool without a trace of irony!
Sustain

Post by Sustain »

*catalyst wrote: Unfortunately most sports teams and shit mascots and worse names. "Bombers", "Hawks" and "Demons" aren't things I'd like written on an item of clothing I'd wear.

-Lachie
wha wha whaaaaaaat?

demons is an awesome name for a footy team.. come on man,

DEMONS! what a sick name- or would you prefer RUDEBWOYS? :teef:
valuetime

Post by valuetime »

i was in the fistroy fundakatz.
drew

Post by drew »

if i got to ware a piece of australian sporting where it would def be the boony promotion 80's style cricket tee

fuckin class :teef:
a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

It's just an American culture thing. When I was in California there were people all over the shop wearing STANFORD UNIVERSITY sweaters, baseball/basketball jerseys etc. If you wore a UNIVERSITY OF MELBOURNE jumper around Melb uni I reckon people'd look at you funny. It's just their culture. They're patriotic about everything they do. Look at how many flags they have up all over the place versus how many aussie flags you see.
Rob M

Post by Rob M »

I think the reason we don't wear sporting stuff here in regards to style is because who the hell would want to be a walking advertisment for companies that put their shit on official gear.

If you notice, whenever a sporting product in the U.S. is made, you don't get the crap ads that we get. You get official gear made from the sweatshops of Asia and surrounding areas.

not many peeps want to walk around with Traffic Accident Commision, Wizard Home Loans, Telstra, ING Direct, et. al. on a sweat top or whatever.
deviant

Post by deviant »

the USA's agressive cultural influence is to blame, the US is cool..... that's pretty much it.

NYC Ts will always be cooler than a T with an Ozzie city on it. However melbourne is getting there with the "I :heart: Melbourne" Ts (although I think that's more pride and patriotism that makes those cool)
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

greeneyes wrote:Can't believe there are people who will suggest that fake FBI tops and NBA caps are inherently cool without a trace of irony!
Pls explain?
Rob M

Post by Rob M »

deviant wrote:However melbourne is getting there with the "I :heart: Melbourne" Ts (although I think that's more pride and patriotism that makes those cool)
I've only seen "I <3 Frankston".... hmmm.....I thought those were meant to be piss-takes.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

i want one of the i heart melbourne graffitti...any tips on where to find one??

but the comments about the US are pretty much true...
they are much prouder to wave any flags, have bush supporting stickers on their cars etcetc

personally, my grandma would always give me these horrid gold forty niners jackets seventeen sizes too big, and worshipped the quarterback (i forget his name hehehe)
my parents were hippies weate no meat or sugar...
i never understood why she bought em for me and i alwasy hated em...
even when we moved to OZ she would still send em
eurgh.
Lauer

Post by Lauer »

ghetto kitty wrote:i want one of the i heart melbourne graffitti...any tips on where to find one??
Try Obese Records in Greville st? in Prahran or This is it on Swan Street in Richmond (beneath Richmond Station).

I remember Calyx wearing a Burn Crew T-Shirt a few weeks back. I thought that was mad cool!
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

this is it had only weird grey ones...

black is where its at!!

might try obese hmmmm thanks lauer...
paulblackout

Post by paulblackout »

if you want some decent Aussie gear check out these guys -

http://www.undecided.com.au/

i know i'm going to sound like i'm on a commission, but they make some cool shit. they're also up the road from me (next door to the best bakery in the entire world) and have an outlet store next door to their office, they make stuff for snowboarding/skate/bmx/etc and they also sponsor the brother of the builder we used on our house

whose other brother competed in snowboarding at the recent winter olympics
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

richmond are so shit
numz

Re: A fashion observation

Post by numz »

Direktor wrote:Uggghhhh!!!!

If you're like me, you would have grown up with all the hype over the NBA and associated Amercian sporting institutions.
Remember the reign of Boston, LA and Chicago in the NBA?
Remember how cool it was to wear caps and clothing with said logo's/emblem's on it? Particularly Chicago during Jordan's reign.
Come to think of it, up till today and most likely tomorrow - it's still cool to wear clothing with anything American on it. Be it a UCLA top, a fake FBI top, a LA Lakers singlet or maybe an NFL cap.

Why isn't it cool to walk around in your Richmond Tigers gear, except on match day? (and no smart-ass remarks about Richmond oright?). :lol:

My point is. It doesn't seem cool to be walking around in homegrown team branding, local uni branding or pretty much anything that identifies you as from some sort of Australian society....

Thoughts?
mate, wear whatb the fuck you want.. I wont diss ya for wearin a tigers top... well... no more than some cunt would diss me for wearin a queens park rangers top... (who?)....

btw, I though wearin local uni brandin was for smartasses who wanted to say, "hey, I study..."

I wore my blue and fluro yellow polo with pride at times...
huh
numz

Post by numz »

ghetto kitty wrote:i want one of the i heart melbourne graffitti...any tips on where to find one??

but the comments about the US are pretty much true...
they are much prouder to wave any flags, have bush supporting stickers on their cars etcetc

personally, my grandma would always give me these horrid gold forty niners jackets seventeen sizes too big, and worshipped the quarterback (i forget his name hehehe)
my parents were hippies weate no meat or sugar...
i never understood why she bought em for me and i alwasy hated em...
even when we moved to OZ she would still send em
eurgh.
I have one.
Its DBoys though. Ask him for it. Its yours.
huh