Rainbow Serpent Festival

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
andy_hoffman

Rainbow Serpent Festival

Post by andy_hoffman »

Me and some friends are considering putting an idea forward to the organisers of rainbow to host our own stage at the next rainbow serpent festival. The idea is to have a broken beats stage for all those who need a break from the hammering of psy all weekend long. I've spoken to alot of people about the music there and they all love it, especially that really funky psy but most people want a bit of diversity and crave some breaks or dnb. The market stage is great but still is mostly about psy-trance. I'd really like to hear some opinions about the music up there and our ideas of a broken beat stage. It would be awesome to find some people who could contribute in some way if this all does happen... like decor and just some ideas i guess. All the audio & lighting would be sorted out by my mates at acousticweaponry.com.
Last edited by andy_hoffman on Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...................................................................................................................................................
no more epilepsy raptor jesus
wairhowse

Post by wairhowse »

how about the coast somewhere
im just throwing idea's out there
:smt052
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

wairhowse sownd wrote:how about the coast somewhere
im just throwing idea's out there
:smt052
Rainbow is held in beufort near ballarat each year. So the venue will remain the same. The idea is to just add another stage to the mix.
...................................................................................................................................................
wairhowse

Post by wairhowse »

i wasnt thinkin right hey
im down the beach now
it is nice down here cold but
AndrewF

Post by AndrewF »

Dunno how well it would go with Rainbow but it's probably worth a try eh? They played some hip-hop and dnb on the market stage this year but it was really below standard and pretty much the whole floor stopped and was like "what are they doing?"

Rainbow is pretty psy/prog focused. Reckon a breaks/dnb stage would be welcomed more at earthcore?

Good luck, either way.
I don't know shit, about shit.
elysium

Post by elysium »

beats in the bush eh ... ace idea andy :smt023

Would be great to hear some greater diversity in the outdoor party scene - nothing beats being out in the open with a good set up and wicked tunes :D
I'm in a loop, I am the loop...
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

AndrewF wrote:Dunno how well it would go with Rainbow but it's probably worth a try eh? They played some hip-hop and dnb on the market stage this year but it was really below standard and pretty much the whole floor stopped and was like "what are they doing?"

Rainbow is pretty psy/prog focused. Reckon a breaks/dnb stage would be welcomed more at earthcore?

Good luck, either way.
Yeah i know what ya saying. I think it was because that stage had a mixture of genres and so people were coming and going. So if there was a stage setup just for breaks and dnb then people could choose. Earthcore has become less psy orientated and it sure has worked for them. I don't want rainbow to become like earthcore but a bit of diversity can't do any harm. Especially when it's just an option and not a mixture of genres on the one stage.
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

elysium wrote:beats in the bush eh ... ace idea andy :smt023

Would be great to hear some greater diversity in the outdoor party scene - nothing beats being out in the open with a good set up and wicked tunes :D
WERD! haha.. And i'm sure we could get some of the beats crew up there for the fun. And 3 days of music means lots of djs for the one stage so we'd be happy for anyone here to come along and play a set.
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

a broken beat stage would be sweet. you would have to do it right and make sure the music is going to fit tho. ive been the last 2 years and Bass Bin Laden is the ONLY dnb booked and plays some absolutly embarrasing music. i was pretty sure i was about to be lynched this year (i was wearing the DNB or STFU shirt lolz).

really it is a psy/progressive event so dnb or breaks doesnt really slot in the menu very easily. it needs to be some deep psy breaks and some twisted mindbending neuro to fit in. Sure some people might want a break from all the crazy stuff but IMHO whenever the funky cheesey music comes out there it all goes pear shaped and people get the fuck outa there to where there is some better music.

book Lex and Quick and TimmyG. Hell i'll even play some of my crazy shit (i reckon some nasty drumfunk might work, those hippies love their percussion)

Its going to be the 10 year anniversary party next year so its going to be LARGE! the new site (which was previewed this year) is amazing.

It might not be able to actually accomodate another stage but you never know.

Keep us in the loop tho mate!
one more medicated peacefull moment
www.dubstep.com.au
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

AndrewF wrote:Dunno how well it would go with Rainbow but it's probably worth a try eh? They played some hip-hop and dnb on the market stage this year but it was really below standard and pretty much the whole floor stopped and was like "what are they doing?"

Good luck, either way.
yeah that.. huhuh should have read all the replies first innit. haha. *sillyme*
www.dubstep.com.au
Dubspiral

Post by Dubspiral »

I see where everyone is coming from.

I got so sick of the music at Rainbow. I was very unwell for the whole weekend, and the lack of ANY D&B set was like torture to me.

I think if there was D&B it should be held at night... I don't know if anyone was at Earthcore last year, but they had some wicked D&B DJs booked for the early morning hours and it just didn't work. Maybe it was because it was in the big tent and people wanted the sun on their faces...? I felt sorry for the D&B DJs because there was nobody watching them.

Anyway, I'm all for the broken stage at Rainbow or Earthcore regardless. Bring it on I say. Just need to put a slightly psychadelic twist to the selection... lure those trippers in with some StRaNgE NoIsE.

Bring it on.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

A good breaks DJ should have no problem there I wouldda thought?. As long as they stay away from funk and bring the precussion.
Don't hate me for house
strategem

Post by strategem »

stay away from the funk? nonono. trust, bring the funk.

and yeah andy, we are well down for doing the production on this one.
www.acousticweaponry.com
- vinyl pressing
- audio equipment
- production management
- pyrotechnics
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Breaks plus funk often equals cheese.
Don't hate me for house
strategem

Post by strategem »

and the psy-doofers love their funky cheese. I was one before discovering the joy of broken beats, as long as they can shake their asses to it and its puts a smile on their faces they love it. Naturally I'm not advocating a stage of nothing but funk based breaks, I'm just saying dont forget the funk.
www.acousticweaponry.com
- vinyl pressing
- audio equipment
- production management
- pyrotechnics
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

BRING IT ON!!!!!

rainbow is my favorite party of the year, and i fucken hate most of the music...

who says that dancefloor shenanigans and costumes and vegemite jousting has to happen to a steady sounds track of psy...??

i fucken love it when it gets all crunchy and funky on the sunday during the day >my fav time to kick the dirt around..

ill help....lets do it......

and ecore would be good too, but if so, it needs to happen soon....
ShiKung

Post by ShiKung »

I've thought this since I went 2 years ago. I reckon the vibes would be good and that The crowd at Rainbow are more "open" to other forms of music than people would expect from a psy-trance crowd.

OUTDOOR PARTIES ARE IT!!

Thats what I'm all about and i have desperately wanted to get a one happening since i got hear 5 years ago. The only time I've been back to go to NZ was for a party in the best outdoor site in the world!! (i reckon).
flippo

Post by flippo »

tribal dubstep, nuff said.
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

jbs wrote:A good breaks DJ should have no problem there I wouldda thought?. As long as they stay away from funk and bring the precussion.
yeah. dnb is hard to slot in cos its so much faster.

yeah the trance heads might like the cheese, but not whole sets of it.

one goon this year played a whole set of psy bootlegs on the market stage. thank feck for the main stage.

so fucking annoying after an hour of that.

and cheese is deffo not somehting for the nightime or the early mornings. which is where the breakbeat went wrong this year i think. its more for the saturday/sunday arvo.
www.dubstep.com.au
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

flippo wrote:tribal dubstep, nuff said.
dubstep on the chill stage might be good!
www.dubstep.com.au
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

This is awesome guys. Exactly the feedback we need. I am sure that they will love stage for broken beats. I think the funk is what the place needs. Sure i love my dark breaks and dnb and i think we need all sorts of it so that there's always something to please somebody. It's the funky psy tracks that everyone smiles and boogies too if u take a look around at the people. As shikung said these guys are open to all types of music.
deviant

Post by deviant »

I down to help get this happening in anyway possible.... PM me ifyou wanna chat Andy
Brain

Post by Brain »

[Mod Edit: Removed]
fonk

Post by fonk »

Ag3nT[]0raNg3 wrote:a broken beat stage would be sweet. you would have to do it right and make sure the music is going to fit tho. ive been the last 2 years and Bass Bin Laden is the ONLY dnb booked and plays some absolutly embarrasing music. i was pretty sure i was about to be lynched this year (i was wearing the DNB or STFU shirt lolz).
:scr1pt: to all that. (although i wimped out on wearing my DNB or STFU t-shirt in the end.... :lol: )

I love a bit of psy, but god damn i was craving some DnB this year.

Bring it on I say! :thumbup:
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

deviant wrote:I down to help get this happening in anyway possible.... PM me ifyou wanna chat Andy
Brain wrote:Hey Andy, I played at Traincore in June with Lilstormer and Little Evil to a bunch of trance heads who went OFF to the breaks we were playing - we played kinda funky psy breaks and they lapped it up - so you're on the right track m'man. Would love to hook up with ya and help in any way with the stage - Rainbow Serpent rocks!
Cheers guys. I LOVE rainbow and i'm gonna love it even more if we can pull this off!
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

get some deep progressive breaks down there i recon it would go down a treat
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

I too would be keen to help
Don't hate me for house
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

sAme'0 wrote:get some deep progressive breaks down there i recon it would go down a treat
Don't hate me for house
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

Well we're all getting excited already (me included) haha.. but yeah we gotta get this all approved first which might be difficult but i thought the earlier we can get some ideas and the earlier we can all start talkin bout it the better cos we got so much time up our sleeves. Keep the feedback comin!
Flash

Post by Flash »

Yeah this is a great idea i reckon. Im definatly planning on going to teh next one, and it would be great to get back to reality at some point with some Breaks/DnB being played!
Im sure a lot of curious heads would be popping in. :lol:
Try to get ILS down for it :P
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Rainbow Serpent do not like MC's, nor do they really like DNB from our experience.
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

Direktor wrote:Rainbow Serpent do not like MC's, nor do they really like DNB from our experience.
this is why im amazed that bass bin laden keeps getting booked. he plays the worst kind of dnb ive ever heard.

its no wonder they dont like dnb haha! ive been introduced to some of the organisers thru another friend who was once in charge of logistics for them, and they like to keep things pretty psy/prog oriented as far as i can tell.

worth a crack tho.

:P
www.dubstep.com.au
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

Yeah i totally agree with u bout bass bin laden. All the dnb heads i met up there thought the same.
elysium

Post by elysium »

ShiKung wrote: The crowd at Rainbow are more "open" to other forms of music than people would expect from a psy-trance crowd.
:smt045 every time I have brought my freinds who are still big into psy along to a breaks or dnb gig, they dig it.
I'm in a loop, I am the loop...
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

I think the best way to do this is to have a meeting sometime soon with all who want to be involved in organising this. We got alot of people on melbourne beats who's knowledge of event organisation and contacts could be really helpful. So any of you who are interested should PM me and we can organise a date to have a couple of beers and put our heads together and come up with some ideas and develop an impressive submission.
:smt023
Shadowgames

Post by Shadowgames »

Ag3nT[]0raNg3 wrote:im amazed that bass bin laden keeps getting booked. he plays the worst kind of dnb ive ever heard.
blatently becuase he has a funny name :teef:
tappy

Post by tappy »

keep us posted if you need visuals (if I'm not otherwise commited at Rainbow). Done work with Blair (from AW) before too. Dont Beats Working sometimes have a stage too?
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

tappy wrote:keep us posted if you need visuals (if I'm not otherwise commited at Rainbow). Done work with Blair (from AW) before too. Dont Beats Working sometimes have a stage too?
Well some of the beats working crew dj on the market stage each year. Well this is something that would really be good for the stage so yeah if u want to get involved then talk to blair and kit. Visuals would be wicked!
marcus

Post by marcus »

I'm up for helping. What's the date?
Stylus Radio :: Every 2nd Sunday :: 6-8pm AEST :: http://www.nsbradio.co.uk
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

marcus wrote:I'm up for helping. What's the date?
Not til january so we got shit loads of time on our hands. I'm off to bed. PM me and i'll let ya know when we're gonna have this meeting. Nite!
DEAN G

Post by DEAN G »

Direktor wrote:Rainbow Serpent do not like MC's, nor do they really like DNB from our experience.
i was of this understanding, i have been told before (and by a reliable source too) that the promoters of Rainbow do not have one liking for dnb. All you can do is try though, goodluck.
deviant

Post by deviant »

Braykz or STFU :teef:
strategem

Post by strategem »

so we push it as a 'broken beats' stage where ALL forms are played. diff types of breaks, diff types of dnb. pick the styles for the times. np. I'll talk to some of the RSF guys this week and see what can be done.
www.acousticweaponry.com
- vinyl pressing
- audio equipment
- production management
- pyrotechnics
OhSoBec

Post by OhSoBec »

Any luck with this??

I think a third stage would really change the whole balance at RSF and I'm undecided if that is a good thing or not!! It seems like such a good formula at the moment. I understand that people want a bit more diversity, but from what I have found, most of the people who go to rainbow go cos it has such a brilliant atmosphere, not particularly for the music. I know heaps of people who don't really like psy or prog that much but still go to rainbow every year cos it's guaranteed to be an amazing party!!

I hope if you get to do this, it gets done right!!

This post brought to you by a psy head who has only recently discovered the wonderful world of breaks and dnb. I hope it doesn't come across as too negative!!
on tour

Post by on tour »

i've played at Rainbow twice. The first time was at the first poolparty and that went off like crackers at the chinese new year. They loved it. The second time Rux and myself were slotted amongst the beats working crew ( i think it was them ) and i thought i thought it would've gone down a treat but i think it that a dnb onslaught was a tad bit too heavy perhaps for the majority of dudes. And it wasn't that the tunes were heavy like a Dyaln sort of thing.

It's a pity that the promoters dont want anything to do with dnb. They hate it. Fact. and i doubt that things have changed to make them see the light of day otherwise they would actually support the music instead of just putting it on the bill willy nilly..

I suggest you go ahead with your plans of a proposal. Whats to lose? Rainbow is still a great party even some of the psy itself is being scrutinised by hardened psy heads... There's so much more to psy than just progressive...
We will chant with robes on you will learn...
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

on tour wrote:i've played at Rainbow twice. The first time was at the first poolparty and that went off like crackers at the chinese new year. They loved it. The second time Rux and myself were slotted amongst the beats working crew ( i think it was them ) and i thought i thought it would've gone down a treat but i think it that a dnb onslaught was a tad bit too heavy perhaps for the majority of dudes. And it wasn't that the tunes were heavy like a Dyaln sort of thing.

It's a pity that the promoters dont want anything to do with dnb. They hate it. Fact. and i doubt that things have changed to make them see the light of day otherwise they would actually support the music instead of just putting it on the bill willy nilly..

I suggest you go ahead with your plans of a proposal. Whats to lose? Rainbow is still a great party even some of the psy itself is being scrutinised by hardened psy heads... There's so much more to psy than just progressive...
:smt006 too long..
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

on tour wrote:i've played at Rainbow twice. The first time was at the first poolparty and that went off like crackers at the chinese new year. They loved it. The second time Rux and myself were slotted amongst the beats working crew ( i think it was them ) and i thought i thought it would've gone down a treat but i think it that a dnb onslaught was a tad bit too heavy perhaps for the majority of dudes. And it wasn't that the tunes were heavy like a Dyaln sort of thing.

Yah it was BW Lex. I wasn't there - coz MC's weren't allowed, although I hear you somehow managed to sneak Danielsan in there.

I heard they weren't overly impressed with it (the DNB genre, not what you and Rux did).

We need to organise our own broken-beat festival, and tell these psy-dudes that they can't come and play at our festival either. :wink:

:lol:
jurgen

Post by jurgen »

great idea,andy. i found over the last few years rainbow has become more open towards non-psy genres.
spent last year most of the time @ market stage and the techno/electro djs really rocked the crowd (slieker, myers,hans dc, miyagi, toupee, cecille, nhj). i can't see a reason why a breaks/dnb stage should be less successfull. variety is the name of the game, amigos!
good luck!
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

^ mate, we are talking about the last couple of years.
L-J

Post by L-J »

flippo wrote:tribal dubstep, nuff said.
bit of vexd.. make the hippies trip right out :P
The South East Connection-Every Sat 9am-11am GMT+1 8pm-10pm GMT+10
Big Tings-24th Oct With Coki, Loefah, Mj Cole and Zed Bias @ Roxannes
Branded Beats- 6th Nov @ Mercat