dubstep

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
deviant

dubstep

Post by deviant »

I've been thinking about this lately, I'm interested to know what you guys think.....

now, dubstep sounds similar to

DnB (and sub-genres)
Hip-Hop & Trip-Hop
Breaks
Dub Reggae
Grime (mostly)

BUT, it has a HUGELY distinctive sound. I couldn't figure out how something that is SOOO similar to so many other things could sound so unique. I figured that it was tapping into a tempo area that no other genre can sit at comfortably.

DnB ~170 (165 at absolute slowest)
Breaks ~130 (135 at absolute fastest)
House/electro ~125 (130 at absolute fastest)
trance ~ 130 (140 at mega fast NRG speed)
Hip-Hop ~100 (90 at mega slow grimey speed)

Dubstep sits around 150bpm which is a pretty odd tempo and untouchable by other genres without sounding awkward. the half-time feel is also slower than most hip-hop. At around 75 it's pretty damn slow.

I thought this was interesting, I'm interested to hear what you guys think.
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

There was mad dubstep on radio last night.. 106.7...is that RRR?
L-J

Post by L-J »

without sounding too pitty...it sits more at 140 bpms...still mixes with all the other forms as garage...just not as many kick drums.hense why it sounds at half time.Also i think it has alot of similarity to Ska....

If u wanna see what infuenced Dubstep to become dubstep, check out alot of the old menta tunes,El-b,Oris Jay stuff

anyways thats my 2 bob
The South East Connection-Every Sat 9am-11am GMT+1 8pm-10pm GMT+10
Big Tings-24th Oct With Coki, Loefah, Mj Cole and Zed Bias @ Roxannes
Branded Beats- 6th Nov @ Mercat
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

whatever it is...i can't get enough.
deviant

Post by deviant »

leejay83 wrote:without sounding too pitty...it sits more at 140 bpms...still mixes with all the other forms as garage...just not as many kick drums.hense why it sounds at half time.Also i think it has alot of similarity to Ska....

If u wanna see what infuenced Dubstep to become dubstep, check out alot of the old menta tunes,El-b,Oris Jay stuff

anyways thats my 2 bob
yeah 140 is still supports my theory.

the "not as many kick drums" thing I'm not sure about. I think the MASSIVE snare hits on beat 3 (@ 140/150 bpm) or beats 2&4 (@70/75 bpm) give it the half-time feel.
gaz

Post by gaz »

My guess as to why its becoming so popular is because of its similarities/influences to all those genre's mentioned. Everyone's got a slice of the dubstep pie.

It's the new black. And i loves it :)
cammo

Post by cammo »

it has space to move around n to fill in your own gaps. if that makes sence
wizzle-wazzle

Post by wizzle-wazzle »

Isn't dubstep a form of garage?
flippo

Post by flippo »

That's like saying 'isn't tech-step a form of happy hardcore' :P
RMHC

Post by RMHC »

sounds like it takes alot from detroit techno and minimal
L-J

Post by L-J »

flippo wrote:That's like saying 'isn't tech-step a form of happy hardcore' :P
hehe...i would say it definitly is the bastard child from garage....but the darker side of 2 step...and maybe as far to say the breakbeat garage zinc was seen doing.

But most definitly not the stuff like wideboys,artful dodger and Mj cole were doing.

just try and hunt out a load of hatcha sets pre Dubstep all stars..or even check out the start of the first show hatcha and crazy D did on kiss fm...has some early zed bias,el-b and oris jay...those are the strands of garage which definitly evolved into dubstep.
The South East Connection-Every Sat 9am-11am GMT+1 8pm-10pm GMT+10
Big Tings-24th Oct With Coki, Loefah, Mj Cole and Zed Bias @ Roxannes
Branded Beats- 6th Nov @ Mercat
wizzle-wazzle

Post by wizzle-wazzle »

Oh sorry. I forgot I couldn't possible over extend the definition of an electronic music genre.

I haven't heard much dubstep, but I thought that was the sound they were playing before Melbourne's garage scene shriveled up and died - lady erica, oskar. Don't really know though. Any dubstep headz know?
deejaypcp

Post by deejaypcp »

dubstep grew out of the 2 step and garage scene a few years ago

i was lucky enough to stumble upon it while looking to get a dubplate cut for the dj in a band i was playing in

the first tune i heard was horsepower's fist of fury, (tempa 05) which has stood the test of time pretty well.

in essence it's like how techno has gone, stripped back with a bigger emphasis on atmospherics and allow the listener to fill in some of the space themselves.

having said that, these were all pretty young guys making the stuff like skream, so maybe I'm wrong
flippo

Post by flippo »

wizzle-wazzle wrote: I haven't heard much dubstep, but I thought that was the sound they were playing before Melbourne's garage scene shriveled up and died - lady erica, oskar. Don't really know though. Any dubstep headz know?
you were right, I was just being cheeky. 4-5 years ago it pretty much was 2-step.
wizzle-wazzle

Post by wizzle-wazzle »

leejay83 wrote:just try and hunt out a load of hatcha sets pre Dubstep all stars..or even check out the start of the first show hatcha and crazy D did on kiss fm...has some early zed bias,el-b and oris jay...those are the strands of garage which definitly evolved into dubstep.
cool. cheers
sye

Post by sye »

I think that most of it sits at 70bpm not 140. i reckon you would say that the 140 stuff is more garage / 2-step. I think that one of most distinct elements of dubstep that is unique to the genre is the huge use of reverb particularly on the snares and percussion. THats something you don't hear in drum'n'bass, breaks, hip hop. It's something taken from dub.
deejaypcp

Post by deejaypcp »

agreed, it definately has roots in jamaica, like most bass heavy styles
skream def represented that last night, with some ragga toasting and more trad dub vocals actually last friday he played some straight up dub...
the guys farken sick
great to see how the dubstep crates are starting to get deep and classics are emerging too...
cammo

Post by cammo »

well thats the thing about filling in your gaps, ya can dance at 70bpm or go off at 140. it has so many unique sub styles that it can be at either bpm's
deejaypcp

Post by deejaypcp »

yep

you're old skool
but so am i
however if everything was still called techno i'd wanna hear dubstep but would end up listening to uplifting handbag trance hardtep nrg or something else with a stupid name

at least dub-step makes sense a mix of dub and the old steppa beat. maybe. but hey maybe that's all reggae and maybe that's all just rock n roll and maybe that's the blues and that's jazz and i digress
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Hip-hop @ 100bpm...

I'd say hip-hop ranges anywhere from sub-80bpm to 110bpm+ for the ol' breaks stylee... It's a massive variation in tempo for something at that bpm IMO.
nic

Post by nic »

Like Australia, we have separated ourselves into clans, gurning at each other for the sake of lookin the most street / jungle.
Now don't get me wrong, i love the drum n bass, but dnb fans are the massivest manifestation of this theorem of junglistivity.
Drum n bass = Drum + Bass = a beat on bass.......
:teef:
:scrIpt1:
flippo

Post by flippo »

nic wrote:
Like Australia, we have separated ourselves into clans, gurning at each other for the sake of lookin the most street / jungle.
Now don't get me wrong, i love the drum n bass, but dnb fans are the massivest manifestation of this theorem of junglistivity.
Drum n bass = Drum + Bass = a beat on bass.......
:teef:
:scrIpt1:
ziiiing :lol:
deviant

Post by deviant »

OMGLOL!!!1
flippo

Post by flippo »

I can predict the future of dubstep, I'm good like that. 2-step went darker and lost a few of the drums,opened it up a bit,then we went down to half time. Next it will be 1/4time, then 1/8th time. In a few years it will be mad, it will be like 1/64th time, average about 1 or 2 kick and snare hits per track, really open up the sound. Everyone will lieing around on the dancefloor with spoons, cigarete lighters and belts strapped around their arms, waiting for the snare drum to hit. It will be super loud and thick, with a 5 minuet reverb tail and everyone will roll over and moan and scream and then wait for the kick drum, which we pre preculded by 2 minuets of silence to build it up,usually rolling of into a 10 minuet tape delay. Then just drop 2 hour LFO's on the masterbus.
greeneyes

Post by greeneyes »

hahaha.
Amick

Post by Amick »

flippo wrote:Then just drop 2 hour LFO's on the masterbus.
MAD!!!! 8) :lol:
RMHC

Post by RMHC »

flippo wrote:I can predict the future of dubstep, I'm good like that. 2-step went darker and lost a few of the drums,opened it up a bit,then we went down to half time. Next it will be 1/4time, then 1/8th time. In a few years it will be mad, it will be like 1/64th time, average about 1 or 2 kick and snare hits per track, really open up the sound. Everyone will lieing around on the dancefloor with spoons, cigarete lighters and belts strapped around their arms, waiting for the snare drum to hit. It will be super loud and thick, with a 5 minuet reverb tail and everyone will roll over and moan and scream and then wait for the kick drum, which we pre preculded by 2 minuets of silence to build it up,usually rolling of into a 10 minuet tape delay. Then just drop 2 hour LFO's on the masterbus.

:lol:
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

flippo wrote:I can predict the future of dubstep, I'm good like that. 2-step went darker and lost a few of the drums,opened it up a bit,then we went down to half time. Next it will be 1/4time, then 1/8th time. In a few years it will be mad, it will be like 1/64th time, average about 1 or 2 kick and snare hits per track, really open up the sound. Everyone will lieing around on the dancefloor with spoons, cigarete lighters and belts strapped around their arms, waiting for the snare drum to hit. It will be super loud and thick, with a 5 minuet reverb tail and everyone will roll over and moan and scream and then wait for the kick drum, which we pre preculded by 2 minuets of silence to build it up,usually rolling of into a 10 minuet tape delay. Then just drop 2 hour LFO's on the masterbus.
I can just imagine it :lol:
JC

Post by JC »

Dubstep i feel is to new to really define.
It a mongrel music and thats whats good about it.
theres so many difernt sounds coming out of it.
if ya saw skream and kode 9 you would of heard some a lot of different flavas like that grime/dubstep thats soming out to the more break core dub stuff and the two steppy beats with sub bass,I think thats the real connection to the early dnb/jungle days
the different flavas (and sub bass and fat drums)
I cant wait to see where it will go in years to come.
numz

Post by numz »

stovequeen wrote:There was mad dubstep on radio last night.. 106.7...is that RRR?
thats PBS love...
:wink:
huh
jude the obscure

Post by jude the obscure »

dubstep and grime are pretty hit and miss for me. some stuff i love and a lot that does nothing for me.

i guess it's just a matter of liking specific artists and tunes rather than liking something because it fits a genre. 15 out of the 25 most listened tracks on my ipod are boards of canada so that's what i like at the moment.

not that this is always the case - when i first heard dnb i got such a buzz that i liked anything that was dnb. but that fades and now i barely listen to dnb, in fact i'd prob say i dislike it.

mm..procrastinating.. :homework:
fonk

Post by fonk »

jude the obscure wrote:dubstep and grime are pretty hit and miss for me. some stuff i love and a lot that does nothing for me.
Isn't that the same with anything though?

I mean, even though I love drum&bass, there's only about 5% of what I hear that I do actually like, while the rest is kinda meh.

lol @ Flippo's dubstep future :lol:

"...and everyone will roll over and moan and scream and then wait for the kick drum..."

Can't. Stop Laughing. :lol: :lol: :lol:
kronz
Location: so a family walks into a talent agent and the talent agent says "what's your act"?

Post by kronz »

I think i might be down with this dubstep stuff after thursday night.

Where is the best place to get some mixes to sample?
GO CATS! GO CATS!
Sustain

Post by Sustain »

tiggus85 wrote:sounds like it takes alot from detroit techno and minimal
:roll:

(employ dr. zoidberg voice)... 'Again, with the detroit techno...'
RMHC

Post by RMHC »

employing bender voice "Bite my shiny, metal ass!"

but really detroit techno is cool
flippo

Post by flippo »

kronz wrote:I think i might be down with this dubstep stuff after thursday night.

www.barefiles.com
flippo

Post by flippo »

flippo wrote:
kronz wrote:I think i might be down with this dubstep stuff after thursday night.

www.barefiles.com
or the flippo mix is good i hear :teef:

Hot fliush podcasts are pretty fucken top notch. Get the first one, it's wicked. And get Steves dub out bitch, thats sick. and all the Skream Rinse FM sets, and the kode9 FWD set, and everything else. All of it cheif! :D
flippo

Post by flippo »

Amick put together a set of absolute tunes too, killers. PM him
flippo

Post by flippo »

and Leelays summer skanking is wicked too.

Just buy yourself a 400 gig hard drive and cache all of barefiles ;)
flippo

Post by flippo »

Zero Hour

Post by Zero Hour »

I've buyin sum dubstep this year and listennin to plenty of mixes and really diggin it. Anyone got any suggestions on sum deep spacey stuff let me know(...most of it is anyways but u know wot i mean) :D

btw Deviant...i gots plenty of DnB below 165bpm :wink:
Zero Hour

Post by Zero Hour »

Citizen Smif wrote:Rory....Check out Gravious, Paul Scuba, Geiom, Pinch

Esp. The Hotflush side label SCUBA.

http://myspace.com/gravious

Temple Ball will make u have a fit, so good.
Cheers mate....was goin to ask u when i saw u next but I been locked up at home :roll:
Terry Tate
Location: come in! this is lonely soldier! my location is....bookshop!

Post by Terry Tate »

Citizen Smif wrote:Rory....Check out Gravious, Paul Scuba, Geiom, Pinch

Esp. The Hotflush side label SCUBA.

http://myspace.com/gravious

Temple Ball will make u have a fit, so good.
toasty boy!
his 12" on destructive is the business
New Hampshire's alright if you like fighting.
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

ROFL !

Thats some funny shit right there.
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Don't hate me for house
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

monolake is so awesome.

correct speed i'd say.
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

heavy tune.
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic »

Sick tune. What's it called?
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

I am still a little over come that Burial -burial- was named album of the year by WIRE magazine.

Did anyone else read the article about dubstep is said magazine?

I will try to take photos of it and post it if anyone is interested in hearing a over illectualised point of view on dubstep.
NinjaGaijin

Post by NinjaGaijin »

haha sounds great. Burial is nice but way too ambient for me..

I am really not looking forward to commercial dubstep!!