Bob you wanker

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
filta

Bob you wanker

Post by filta »

Did anyone catch the news on Bob hawke's idea to take all the worlds nuclear waste and use Australia as the dumping ground. "It would be great for the economy" hawke says. :shock: :?

Here's Bob next great idea- Drill a hole right in the middle of uluru, and make it glow at night, this will bring the tourist im sure...
mrj

Post by mrj »

I dont think it is an idea that should be dismissed completley out of hand. There is a LOT of empty unused space in the middle of oz that for all intents and purposes is uninhabitable.

I am not an expert on the effects of nuclear waste on the environment (or anything else) so I cant say anything about possible effects thereof, but surely if we choose an area that is uninhabited and just dump it in there, then whats the harm

Apparently there's a theory that some Japanese death cult conducted a nuclear test in the outback about a decade ago and no-one noticed except for some geologists who picked up some weird seismic activity. If you can explode a nuclear bomb out there and not get any questions then why not dump nuclear waste out there.

PLUS think of all the new species

- 3 headed kangaroos with laser eyes
- super intelligent floating brains
- giant taipans
- sheep that can shear themselves

Im not saying that it is neccesarily a good idea, however Bob Hawke is a lot of things but one thing he is not is stupid (the guy was PM for fucks sake, give him some credit). I think its worth actually looking into.

my two cents
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
sneaky hands

Post by sneaky hands »

interesting one, hes arguing on the basis that some parts of australia as as geologically ideal for dumping nuclear waste as anywhere in the world, and its our international duty to take responsibility for it.

we supply some of the uranium that ends up as nuclear waste. i dunno. i guess its gotta be buried somewhere. i dont think its as black and white as just saying bob hawkes a fuckwit though, and a knee-jerk (and hypocritical) "not in my backyard" mentality...definitely a complex issue.
sneaky flow like cash flow
on the first of the month
for broke cats that's thirst for the blunt
lynt

Post by lynt »

mrj wrote:Apparently there's a theory that some Japanese death cult conducted a nuclear test in the outback about a decade ago and no-one noticed except for some geologists who picked up some weird seismic activity. If you can explode a nuclear bomb out there and not get any questions then why not dump nuclear waste out there.

PLUS think of all the new species

- giant taipans
hahah! :lol: :lol:
filta

Post by filta »

Complex indeed!!

Sorry not trying be hypocritical, would love to see a sheep that can sheer itself, but with Australia trying to head into some sort of GREEN lifestyle it was strange to hear one of our past leaders making that statement.

Dont really like the idea.
Just wanted to see what others thought.
8)
mrj

Post by mrj »

I dont really like the idea either, my intuition tells me its a horrible horrible concept.

but dismissing something purely on the basis of intuition is also a horrible idea. like filta says, very complex.
great_magnet
crazy diamond

Post by great_magnet »

mrj wrote: PLUS think of all the new species

- giant taipans
Next up on the Crocodile Hunter, Steve bravely battles a rogue kangaroo that has laid siege on Ayres Rock Resort as an act of revenge for the recent sauteeing of his brother in a fashionable, yet reasonably priced soup.

NOW THAT WOULD BE SOME TV!!!
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
This ain't no foolin' around
filta

Post by filta »

Just got a strange feeling about this sort of thing. underground water tables seem to be at risk.

Who is Australias yardglass Champ now ?
filta

Post by filta »

great_magnet wrote:
mrj wrote: PLUS think of all the new species

- giant taipans
Next up on the Crocodile Hunter, Steve bravely battles a rogue kangaroo that has laid siege on Ayres Rock Resort as an act of revenge for the recent sauteeing of his brother in a fashionable, yet reasonably priced soup.

NOW THAT WOULD BE SOME TV!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
quick

Post by quick »

Like mrj, I'm no expert on the effects of nuclear waste on the environment, but it would have to effect the ecosystem quite dramatically... we have many native animals in our deserts. I doubt it would happen if their existence was put at risk.
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
spazz

Post by spazz »

I think it might be because we are seismically stable? Like Australia is not near any MAJOR fault lines.

I remember watching this documentary on nuclear power in the Scandanavian countries such as Sweden and Denmark, where they were going to such great lengths to bury the waste from the nuclear plants in these massive deep underground complexes about 5 km down or something.

So I wouldnt discount the idea either and I am sure that it would be an offer for Australia to store some of the world's nukie waste in say very very deep old basement rock areas which are also seismically stable so no darn tooting earthquake, or volcano, or tsunami is going to destabilize all the waste and bring it to the surface.

Bob Hawke was a farkin Rhode Oxford scholar too. He really aint dumb.
mrj

Post by mrj »

spazz wrote:I think it might be because we are seismically stable? Like Australia is not near any MAJOR fault lines.

I remember watching this documentary on nuclear power in the Scandanavian countries such as Sweden and Denmark, where they were going to such great lengths to bury the waste from the nuclear plants in these massive deep underground complexes about 5 km down or something.

So I wouldnt discount the idea either and I am sure that it would be an offer for Australia to store some of the world's nukie waste in say very very deep old basement rock areas which are also seismically stable so no darn tooting earthquake, or volcano, or tsunami is going to destabilize all the waste and bring it to the surface.

completley off topic there is a reasonable fault running through the coal mines at Loy Yang Power in Gippsland. Apparently major quake about every 50 years. currently 10 years overdue. has them pretty scared.
flippo

Post by flippo »

It's alright, I wouldnt take anything Bob says too seriosly, chances are he was probbably just comming home from an all week bender and started talking shit. Would have seemed like a good idea when he was shitfaced.
filta

Post by filta »

mrj wrote:
spazz wrote:I think it might be because we are seismically stable? Like Australia is not near any MAJOR fault lines.

completley off topic there is a reasonable fault running through the coal mines at Loy Yang Power in Gippsland. Apparently major quake about every 50 years. currently 10 years overdue. has them pretty scared.
It 'll never happen :roll:
Motive

Post by Motive »

sounds like it should be looked into tho. he has some good points - Australia, in theory, could deal with it the best. so possibly it's in the world's best interests that Australia steps forward to deal with it, and make a giant wad of cash in the process. currently the world deals with waste in such a haphazard manner, usually storing it on islands away from the mainland. i think Aus should look into this. the first country to develop a safe way of storing waste will have a huge advantage. Bury Beazley, bring back Bob.
filta

Post by filta »

yes but one of the biggest problems i see, is the transport of this material to its final laying ground( for 250,000 years),your transporing this sort of shit half way around the world, to get it to stable gound-What happens if the boat sinks ? ( in our waters that is) Is that really worth the money?
mrj

Post by mrj »

filta wrote:yes but one of the biggest problems i see, is the transport of this material to its final laying ground( for 250,000 years),your transporing this sort of shit half way around the world, to get it to stable gound-What happens if the boat sinks ? ( in our waters that is) Is that really worth the money?
this is defintiley a problem. can you imagine exxon valdez but in a toxic nuclear waste context.

jeeeesssuuuzzzzz
spazz

Post by spazz »

filta wrote:yes but one of the biggest problems i see, is the transport of this material to its final laying ground( for 250,000 years),your transporing this sort of shit half way around the world, to get it to stable gound-What happens if the boat sinks ? ( in our waters that is) Is that really worth the money?
Hate to break it to you but this already happens. Finland, Russia and other countries have been doing it for years.
cobbernuts

Post by cobbernuts »

the risks involved with the depositing nuclear waste in our countries interior don't come from the act of putting it in the ground.

there are areas that are geologically stable and are desert to ground and surface waters are not a real issue. australia has plenty of available land for burying anything when compared with much of the rest of the inahabited world. the other major areas where large unpopulated areas exist are either non-developed and sending waste there would breach the basel convention (africa/mongolia etc) or are frozen and would cause burial problems (russia/canada).

and there is some case for product stewardship, i.e if we dig up a sizable proportion of uranium for processing and export we have some ownership of where it ends up. granted not as significant as the ownership of those who throw it in a reactor but some nonetheless. and there would be a lot of money to be made from taking it back.

but the issue isn't the risk of the actual burial. the issue is the means, management and risk of transporting the waste from reactors all over the world through a major port in Australia, through populated areas to the disposal site.
How far down the rabbit hole do you want to go?
cobbernuts

Post by cobbernuts »

spazz wrote:
Hate to break it to you but this already happens. Finland, Russia and other countries have been doing it for years.
doh. beaten to it.

just because russia have been doing something for years doesn't mean they've been doing it safely for years.
How far down the rabbit hole do you want to go?
spazz

Post by spazz »

mrj wrote:

Sure it wont be that major. I wonder if its a fault that has been accuentated by the deep coal mines built there in the first place? 10 years overdue is interesting but. The more overdue the bigger it will come.
spazz

Post by spazz »

cobbernuts wrote:the risks involved with the depositing nuclear waste in our countries interior don't come from the act of putting it in the ground.

there are areas that are geologically stable and are desert to ground and surface waters are not a real issue. australia has plenty of available land for burying anything when compared with much of the rest of the inahabited world. the other major areas where large unpopulated areas exist are either non-developed and sending waste there would breach the basel convention (africa/mongolia etc) or are frozen and would cause burial problems (russia/canada).

and there is some case for product stewardship, i.e if we dig up a sizable proportion of uranium for processing and export we have some ownership of where it ends up. granted not as significant as the ownership of those who throw it in a reactor but some nonetheless. and there would be a lot of money to be made from taking it back.

but the issue isn't the risk of the actual burial. the issue is the means, management and risk of transporting the waste from reactors all over the world through a major port in Australia, through populated areas to the disposal site.
Agree with you 100%. Up through the Bight??? Adelaide doesnt matter! :P
factory worker

Post by factory worker »

spazz wrote:
mrj wrote:

Sure it wont be that major. I wonder if its a fault that has been accuentated by the deep coal mines built there in the first place? 10 years overdue is interesting but. The more overdue the bigger it will come.
we talking earthquakes or orgasms here?
The best way to cure a broken heart is to give the pieces away
SoulWhiteMan

Post by SoulWhiteMan »

spazz wrote:
to add to what your saying, there are some scattered islands just shy of antartica where they have sailed out all their ships full to the brim with nuclear waste, and just "parked" them there. There was a documentary on it. Can't remember what it's called
mrj

Post by mrj »

SoulWhiteMan wrote:
spazz wrote:
to add to what your saying, there are some scattered islands just shy of antartica where they have sailed out all their ships full to the brim with nuclear waste, and just "parked" them there. There was a documentary on it. Can't remember what it's called
I remember Ben Elton labelling them Leper Ships or something, because no one will accept them at port.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

mrj wrote:Apparently there's a theory that some Japanese death cult conducted a nuclear test in the outback about a decade ago and no-one noticed except for some geologists who picked up some weird seismic activity. If you can explode a nuclear bomb out there and not get any questions then why not dump nuclear waste out there.
AFAIK, Aum Shinrikyo still own a huge amount of land out there.

personally, while Australia could make a huge amount of money out of short to long term storage of high-level or transuranic waste - not much good would come of it.

for a start, individuals would make most of the money; the Federal Government would make money in the short term - then have to monitor and/or clean it up later; and so on.

my money's on Bob opening his mouth after downing a yard glass of the frosty foaming stuff. :hahaha:
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
betson

Post by betson »

spazz wrote:
mrj wrote:

I live out in gippsland, we actually had a small tremor earlier this year or late last year(can't remember exactly). Only lasted about 2-3 secs but it certailnly felt like our house was moving, we're about 45 min drive from morwell.
Don't forget to bring a towell!!
mrj

Post by mrj »

betson wrote:
spazz wrote:
mrj wrote: completley off topic there is a reasonable fault running through the coal mines at Loy Yang Power in Gippsland. Apparently major quake about every 50 years. currently 10 years overdue. has them pretty scared.
I live out in gippsland, we actually had a small tremor earlier this year or late last year(can't remember exactly). Only lasted about 2-3 secs but it certailnly felt like our house was moving, we're about 45 min drive from morwell.
its the proximity to the Strezlecki ranges that does it. One night felt a quake in Churchill in ..I think it was 99, or 2000. Made my chair rock a bit and the windows shake. My Dad and I had to go do some work out at Boolarra the next day and we found a paddock where the ground had moved a good 1/2 to 3/4 of a metre.

I remember a quake centred in morwell when I was about 8 I think, put a big crack in the pavement at my nan's house.

Theres a fair bit of activity around there. My Dad and I used to run a soil testing business when I was in high school and when working in the Jeerelangs (hills above Churchill) we always used to find that about 1-1.5 metres down in the soil there was a 2-3cm thick band of volcanic rock. Its very evident in the colour of the soil over in Thorpdale (dont believe me, check the reddish brown soil next time you buy brushed potatoes) which is roughly similar elevation to the Jeerelangs.

bit more local knowledge for ya betson.
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

I havent read all the debate above but I dont think Bob's idea is too crazy. It definately bares some consideration, particularly since we're sending all that uranium out there. We also send all our waste from Lucas Heights overseas for processing too. The thing is, it is one thing to turn to nuclear energy but once you do you've got to do something with the waste. It's like some massive science problem that seems to have been put in the too hard basket and our approach to it is similar to taking our garbage and putting it in landfill :?

Bob's idea at least deserves some debate, if only to wake Australian's up to the idea that uranium from this country is being used overseas as nuclear fuel.
Just because I rock, doesn't mean I'm made of stone.
aspekt

Post by aspekt »

Polecat wrote:I havent read all the debate above but I dont think Bob's idea is too crazy. It definately bares some consideration, particularly since we're sending all that uranium out there. We also send all our waste from Lucas Heights overseas for processing too. The thing is, it is one thing to turn to nuclear energy but once you do you've got to do something with the waste. It's like some massive science problem that seems to have been put in the too hard basket and our approach to it is similar to taking our garbage and putting it in landfill :?

Bob's idea at least deserves some debate, if only to wake Australian's up to the idea that uranium from this country is being used overseas as nuclear fuel.
i agree. afaik, computer and car companies in germany are required by law to take back everything they produce and reuse/recycle it. Radioactive waste is certainly something I don't want in my backyard, but in many ways we should have thought about that before we started selling uranium.
There's no justice, just us.
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

now i have read all the debate above, one thing missing is the WHERE in where to store it. Bob was suggesting only WA and NT as places that were geologically sound on the basis of the info he had recieved because they were safe from faults and watertable problems.

Bob gave a pretty good interview on the 7.30 report for those who saw it. A much better one that Latham gave with Tony Jones on Lateline. It was hilarious to see Hawkey tell Maxine in the 2nd half of the interview that he'd tried to stop the caucus electing Latham as leader.
Just because I rock, doesn't mean I'm made of stone.
mrj

Post by mrj »

does the same principle mean we can make america take back all the turds created by food from american fast food chains
spazz

Post by spazz »

mrj wrote:
betson wrote:
spazz wrote: Sure it wont be that major. I wonder if its a fault that has been accuentated by the deep coal mines built there in the first place? 10 years overdue is interesting but. The more overdue the bigger it will come.
its the proximity to the Strezlecki ranges that does it. One night felt a quake in Churchill in ..I think it was 99, or 2000. Made my chair rock a bit and the windows shake. My Dad and I had to go do some work out at Boolarra the next day and we found a paddock where the ground had moved a good 1/2 to 3/4 of a metre.

I remember a quake centred in morwell when I was about 8 I think, put a big crack in the pavement at my nan's house.

Theres a fair bit of activity around there. My Dad and I used to run a soil testing business when I was in high school and when working in the Jeerelangs (hills above Churchill) we always used to find that about 1-1.5 metres down in the soil there was a 2-3cm thick band of volcanic rock. Its very evident in the colour of the soil over in Thorpdale (dont believe me, check the reddish brown soil next time you buy brushed potatoes) which is roughly similar elevation to the Jeerelangs.

A band of volcanic rock doesnt quite equate to seismic activity. Could be really really old granite rock, which often can be found as plutons. Plutons are like volcanic intrusives thru layers of rock, often brought up from the mantle, and then sedimentary (but not always) layers have been deposited over the top. Was the ph really high when you tested it?
mrj

Post by mrj »

spazz wrote:
mrj wrote:
betson wrote: I live out in gippsland, we actually had a small tremor earlier this year or late last year(can't remember exactly). Only lasted about 2-3 secs but it certailnly felt like our house was moving, we're about 45 min drive from morwell.

A band of volcanic rock doesnt quite equate to seismic activity. Could be really really old granite rock, which often can be found as plutons. Plutons are like volcanic intrusives thru layers of rock, often brought up from the mantle, and then sedimentary (but not always) layers have been deposited over the top. Was the ph really high when you tested it?
not testing for acidity or anything like that. testing bearing capacity for building foundations (ie with a penetrometer - which I hope to make my DJ name one day by the way).
filta

Post by filta »

spazz wrote:
So they can keep their nuclear waste then.
AJ

Post by AJ »

Why don't they just improve cold fusion so there's no waste?

See? Green AND nuclear!
mrj

Post by mrj »

AJ wrote:Why don't they just improve cold fusion so there's no waste?

See? Green AND nuclear!
from memory Jodie Foster cracked cold fusion but it was lost when Val Kilmer had to save her from a ruthless Eastern Bloc dictator, in between moonlighting as a moutsached super thief/master of disguise.
Spherix

Post by Spherix »

bob hawke is the shit, look at him haha
lowercase//Immerse//Tube10//BareDubs//Sub Continental Dub//On The Edge//Camino Blue
spazz

Post by spazz »

See? Green AND nuclear!
Agreed 100% - buts its hard eh?
quick

Post by quick »

spazz wrote:

See? Green AND nuclear!
Agreed 100% - buts its hard eh?
pfffttt

:teef:
PahMaLa

Post by PahMaLa »

Bob is such a tool.
Look at NZ being nuclear free, I think I'll move back home. LOL
quick

Post by quick »

D wrote:Bob is such a tool.
Bob would definitley have a run for his money in a drinking comp with Helen Clark the NZ PM... wow, she got balls... :lol:
Motive

Post by Motive »

he is the man. quit playa-hating ;]
PahMaLa

Post by PahMaLa »

quick wrote:
D wrote:Bob is such a tool.
Bob would definitley have a run for his money in a drinking comp with Helen Clark the NZ PM... wow, she got balls... :lol:
no really she is a heee LOL