Bandwagon Blues.

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.

To the Bandwagon Jumpers...

All welcome, more the merrier.
89%
Piss off.
11%

Total votes: 27

lynt

Bandwagon Blues.

Post by lynt »

What's the deal with all these hardcore fanatics telling new comers to "get off the bandwagon" with regards to the Worldcup.

Seriously, I'm not the biggest soccer fan in the world, but when my country is making history, I'm gonna back them and try my best to know what I'm talking about, so yeah, I'm jumping on the soccer bandwagon while the Worldcup is on and Australia are apart of it... what's so wrong with that?

My question to all is, is bandwagon jumping good or bad for the subject at hand?

I think this relates to any type culture. Sport, music, art...

What do you think?
lynt

Post by lynt »

<thread segway>

Whaling has been going on forever, why now is everyone suddenly aware / angry about it? Bandwagon jumping? :teef:

</thread segway>
sneaky hands

Post by sneaky hands »

lol

i guess people dont like bandwagon jumping cos they feel some kind of ownership of whatever it is, and it feels like it's less special when more people appreciate it.

my instinctual response to it is along similar lines, but i try to avoid wasting emotional effort on thinking about it too much (given that i know its bullshit).

is it good or bad for the subject? tough one..i think it depends what it is.

in some ways it can lead to corruption or weakening of the subject (eg music styles that are absorbed into the mainstream and lost forever as a result). But in other ways (like the support for the socceroos) i think its a good thing.
sneaky flow like cash flow
on the first of the month
for broke cats that's thirst for the blunt
lynt

Post by lynt »

sneaky hands wrote:in some ways it can lead to corruption or weakening of the subject (eg music styles that are absorbed into the mainstream and lost forever as a result). But in other ways (like the support for the socceroos) i think its a good thing.
Agree to some point. Definately with culture like music and the arts or anything soley creative, bandwagon jumping can weaken the quality over quantity factor.

Though contribution often stems positive direction. ie: Trance producers writing breakbeat, not naming names but those boys have definately widened the genre for the better.

I think in terms of sport, it's the Australian thing to do to drop everything and back your country. Hell, it's patriotic, what country doesn't.
mrj

Post by mrj »

I'm with sneaky on this one (bandwagon :teef:)
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
mrj

Post by mrj »

Actually I do have something to say on this, but no time to write it. Hopefully will get some time this arvo.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

It is just they way mass culture works. Particular things, be they fads of popularity, moral panics and health trends, social issues, news trends on particular subjects. Sooner or later on both macro and micro scales every pocket gets its time in the spotlight, how it is treated by the masses then effects weather it becomes part of mainstream culture, how it is treated in the future and what becomes of it in general.

This works on so many levels, from an issue of gay marriages getting its 15 days in the spot light via media and political avenues for the masses to make their judgment given the information they receive and their pre-conceived ideals to Hard Breaks getting its 2 days in the spot light for the micro community on MB.C and our little group making their judgment bases on what we got to hear and who was siding with what. ;)

Ez. its that simple.

:lol:
Last edited by DBoy on Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrj

Post by mrj »

I'm reading a book at the moment that spends a lot of time on the normal distribution curve, and its application to social phenomena, and also the concept of metastability within social phenomena. It has application here I believe. Ummm, but yeah, will try and get to it later

DAMN MELBOURNE BEATS AND ITS INTERESTING PEOPLE WITH INTERESTING DISCUSSIONS!!!!!!!
Snowie

Post by Snowie »

lynt wrote:
I think in terms of sport, it's the Australian thing to do to drop everything and back your country. Hell, it's patriotic, what country doesn't.
I totally agree with jumping on the bandwagon when it comes down to things that are benefical to the community or world, i.e. whaling is something that should be banned, or supporting one's country in sporting endevours. Only good can come from such actions, so i would even really consider it jumping on the bandwagon, it propably should be considered as unifying behind a good common cause.
Easy @ Word - 23rd May Opening Night, every saturday
Everything You Want - Fridays @ Lounge Downstairs
OldSkool Hip Hop and Funk - Saturdays @ Red Violin
www.myspace.com/djsnowie

deviant

Post by deviant »

There is actually nothing anyone can really do about it, so why get annoyed and try and discourage people from bandwagon jumping? Discouraging people breeds intrigue which makes the problem (if you can all it that) worse. Just because you are a "hardcore" soccer (or whatever) fan doesn't mean you own it, if you like it so much then surely you can appreciate that others might too......

It's a load of rubbish really.

It's a simple case of value vs supply vs demand. The more fans the more product and coverage gets created and the cheaper the object/subject/product becomes.
valuetime

Post by valuetime »

propa propa propa propa propa

^^ tune.
lynt

Post by lynt »

lol. John B is gold.
valuetime

Post by valuetime »

i thought it was john b too, but it's not. it's twisted individual('s only good track).
valuetime

Post by valuetime »

Last edited by valuetime on Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShiKung

Post by ShiKung »

I think people get disappointed sometimes. How can I put this in context.

My flatmates loves Soccer, he has the PS2 Fifa 2006 game and plays it rel;igiously, he has the Juventus Key ring, he reads the internet constantly and supports 4 teams.

He loves soccer.

Patrotic suburbanite who was on a comedown from the Commonwealth games, needs a new sport to support, sees the socceroo's doing well, goes to watch the Japan game in Fed Sq, and goes ballistic.

Says He loves soccer.

Now the issue (I THINK) isnt so much more people all of sudden watching or liking soccer (or whatever) its more people that take soccer very seriously get a little peeved when someone comes along and says they support it as much as the the next guy when they dont really know that much about it.

Otherwise Its like me saying I love DnB soooooo much that I hope no one ever turns up to my parties, coz i love it the most.

Everyone knows the more that people support something the better it is for it. I think what annoys people is when people say they know heaps about something they really know nothing about.

Like me saying Oh Japan sucks coz they lost to OZ
lynt

Post by lynt »

Twisted did the original Bandwagon Blues as a lash out on people knockin his style. John B retaliated with Blandwagon Poos saying Twisted was a muppet.
Friday

Post by Friday »

i don't understand why people get so annoyed... just because you're a fan of something doesn't mean that you own rights to it!

i think that people should be happy that people are taking an interest in the things that they're most passionate about. that they should be excited to share what they love with others. unless people are being really obnoxious and acting like 'know it alls' which i could see would be annoying. but otherwise why not...

i heard a name a little while back that the serious horse racing fans call the people who get into it at spring carnival / cup time. can't remember what it was but it was hilarious. they actually have a term for those people... wish i could remember!
lynt

Post by lynt »

Friday wrote:i heard a name a little while back that the serious horse racing fans call the people who get into it at spring carnival / cup time. can't remember what it was but it was hilarious. they actually have a term for those people... wish i could remember!
"suckers"
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

Citizen Smif wrote:
ShiKung wrote:I think what annoys people is when people say they know heaps about something they really know nothing about.
:scr1pt:
:scr1pt: Well said.
lynt wrote:
Friday wrote:i heard a name a little while back that the serious horse racing fans call the people who get into it at spring carnival / cup time. can't remember what it was but it was hilarious. they actually have a term for those people... wish i could remember!
"suckers"
November butterflies? :)
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Doesn't this belong in the World Cup thread?

:teef:
sneaky hands

Post by sneaky hands »

lynt wrote:
"suckers"
classic
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

lynt wrote:
"suckers"
Maybe so, but at least those fleeting fanatics leave afterwards. Horseracing people are fucking demented. I don't care what anyone says, they are a twisted breed of questionable morals. Possibly inbreeders too.
Friday

Post by Friday »

:lol: at karl.

yeah it may have been november butterflies?? i thought it was something more derogetory though :P
mecka

Post by mecka »

lol i thought this might have been about that terrible twisted individual track
mrj

Post by mrj »

"I got those in the washroom at McDonald’s and turning on the tap too hard and spraying water on your pants so it looks as if you’ve pissed yourself blues" - Tony Martin
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

this discussion makes me think of the street art scene...(sorry guys i dont really get the soccer bandwagon mentality)

if you come in all 'yeh im a pimp and i gots the skills"
youll stil be called a noob or a toy until you have proven your
a) knowledge
b) skills
c) respect and understanding of the 'scene' and the unwritten rules

now, im all up for sharing ideas n im defiantelty and advocate of new talent and new kids on the block shoving the old codgers off when they get complacent in their fame, but there is an element of
'skills to pay the bills'

whether your an artist, a soccer fan or a DnB head...

yeah??

:o
sneaky hands

Post by sneaky hands »

you talking about paying dues GK?

i like this idea. i think people need to earn their crown not just expect it.

at the same time, i think the idea that you need to pay your dues before you can be a fan of something is pretty far-fetched.
spazz

Post by spazz »

lynt wrote:<thread segway>

Whaling has been going on forever, why now is everyone suddenly aware / angry about it? Bandwagon jumping? :teef:

</thread segway>
I havent been around forever.
Its current affairs.
We should all talk about current affairs, cause its our affairs and shit. Whaling was looking safely banned until recently.

Not applicable IMO.

Otherwise bandwagon jumping? We all do it. Other than the person who actually creates the concept. Scratching? One guy did it in a live performance, then everyone did it.

Impressionism? A couple of people started a style, everyone got into it.

Underground Music? Surely every style started as a thing from a minority group then evolved.

In summary: Bandwagon jumping? Easy to diss for the old timers, but essentially just ego shit.

Bandwagon jumping is possibly a word from snobs to also describe evolution.
valuetime

Post by valuetime »

you're not a true soccer fan until you've played for australia. there, i said it.

i, for one, have rarely felt more patriotic. i'm totally gripped by the aussie world cup games, and i'm not really a soccer fan. can't wait for the croatia game.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

sneaky hands wrote:you talking about paying dues GK?

i like this idea. i think people need to earn their crown not just expect it.

at the same time, i think the idea that you need to pay your dues before you can be a fan of something is pretty far-fetched.
kind of.
dont go thinknig im an elitist though please, casue in this particular scene im one of the ones that gently suggests and supports most of what the kids are doing...

and i dont think you have to pay your dues to be a 'fan'
but to proclaim yourself a die hard or an expert, yes, i think you need to prove it somehow.

and i defiantly agree with spazz that its more a term to describe snotty older people shaking their walking sticks at the keen and excited youngsters that are in fact, pushing things forward.

BUT> some people, the first impressionist for example, created that thing bacasue for him/her, there was no other choice
you can see how it might be frustrating for him/her to now see that every kid coming out of art school calls himself a 'master' when the motivations now are completely different (does that make sense?)

that said> viva la difference
save the whales>some bandwagons will change the world if everyone jumps on!!
calstro

Post by calstro »

lynt wrote:<thread segway>

</thread segway>
Nuke the whales.

You got to nuke something.
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

mb.com was a lot better before everyone jumped on the bandwagon and started hanging out here all the time.

:wink:
ShiKung

Post by ShiKung »

^^this thread was alot better before OB1 jumped on the Bandwagon
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

^^^ I was in a band before wagons were even invented. :wink:

Sorry for the hijak, Lyntron. Just joking around.

I'm all for peeps jumping on bandwagons. I wasn't the first to jump on the DJ bandwagon and not the last. But I love it. If it brings awareness to something that's cool or good, what's the problem? Maintaining the influx is the hardest part anyways.

:D
lilstormer

Post by lilstormer »

Friday wrote:i don't understand why people get so annoyed... just because you're a fan of something doesn't mean that you own rights to it!

i think that people should be happy that people are taking an interest in the things that they're most passionate about. that they should be excited to share what they love with others. unless people are being really obnoxious and acting like 'know it alls' which i could see would be annoying. but otherwise why not...

exactly Friday well said!

As a bit of a football* fanatic meself, I'm delighted to see people getting into the game. To hear people who have previously branded the game as dull now understanding the tension, excitement and beauty of the game is simply fantastic.

*sorry can't bring myself to type the 'S' word... you know that the peak body is now called the FOOTBALL Federation of Australia 8)
Free to those that can afford it, very expensive to those that can't.
Schizo!

Post by Schizo! »

My gripe is with people whom in the past have said "Soccer's fer poofers" and now all of a sudden they're getting behind it simply because Australia are doing well.

Apart from that I love all the support the Socceroos are getting and I really feel that this will have a very positive effect on football in Australia.

My hope is that once the World Cup is over, we will have a whole lot more supporters for the A-League.

Cooome on Melbourne!

Meeelbourne Victory!

Cooome on Melbourne Victooorialy!

Not the most inventive chant but it does sound great with thousands of people behind it :D
Little did I know, and even less did I care.
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

go play a real sport like syncronised swimming yah soccer poofs
marke

Post by marke »

twisted individual???!!!
get on the football bandwagon, much better sport than afl...
for johnny warren..
i told you so!
ukime

Post by ukime »

sif melbourne victory. nerds fc ftw.
"I have ridden the mighty moon worm." - Al Gore.
PahMaLa

Post by PahMaLa »

I'm in the in between, so didn't cast a vote.
It kinda shits me that everyone now suddenly lovesss football, what shat me the most was when Eddie McGuire hosted that pre warm up/count down to the Oz Vs Brz game when his true love is for AFL. He know jack shit about football :roll:
But at the same it's great to see that it's getting attention and support from it's country.
kallous

Post by kallous »

Citizen Smif wrote:
D wrote:I'm in the in between, so didn't cast a vote.
It kinda shits me that everyone now suddenly lovesss football, what shat me the most was when Eddie McGuire hosted that pre warm up/count down to the Oz Vs Brz game when his true love is for AFL. He know jack shit about football :roll:
But at the same it's great to see that it's getting attention and support from it's country.
Believe it or not, Eddie McGuire played for the Victorian team when he was a teen.
Its a known fact.
Sorry Pam :teef:

hahaha AFL doesnt count, think she was talking about real football :wink:

I think its great for the game seeing so many new fans, though once the world cups over i think most peeps will loose intrest... which is a shame
PahMaLa

Post by PahMaLa »

Citizen Smif wrote:
D wrote:I'm in the in between, so didn't cast a vote.
Believe it or not, Eddie McGuire played for the Victorian team when he was a teen.
Its a known fact.
Sorry Pam :teef:
:oops:
You mean "football" this shit they run on world only "round" field BAH! I.HATE.AFL.WITH.SO.MUCH.PASSION.ITS.NOT.FUNNY! (sorry to any afl fans, but I really really loathe it I can go on how much I loathe until hell freezes over :shock:)
deviant

Post by deviant »

Schizo! wrote:"Soccer's fer poofers"

:teef:
j/k I actually dig the game
L-J

Post by L-J »

when it comes down to your country then go for it. if not. Fuck off
The South East Connection-Every Sat 9am-11am GMT+1 8pm-10pm GMT+10
Big Tings-24th Oct With Coki, Loefah, Mj Cole and Zed Bias @ Roxannes
Branded Beats- 6th Nov @ Mercat
deviant

Post by deviant »

So, nationalism or nothing for you then?
betson

Post by betson »

Advertisers have certainly jumped on the bandwagon, prime time telly is scattered with "world world" cup promo's.
Don't forget to bring a towell!!
valuetime

Post by valuetime »

yeah, those world cup/grand final/olympics/formula one/rugby themed ads are weak.
family guy wrote:Hi. I'm Peter Griffin of the New England Patriots. I'm here to kick off the Touchdown of Savings Weekend at Wilkins Hyundai and Subaru. We will blitz the competition and in no time, you'll be driving your new Hyundai or Subaru right to a touchdown!

[sings] At Wilkins Hyundai and Subaru... we have Hyundais and Subarus.
L-J

Post by L-J »

deviant wrote:So, nationalism or nothing for you then?
not no quite. i mean when it comes down to sporting events.Would many of u guys watch the world cup and talk so passionatly if your home country were not playing?I know i wouldnt.

I know heaps of ppl when i spoke about football(soccer) they would tell me where to go. Now the aussie's are playing they actually listen to my football dribble. So when i comes down to things like this. i think its a great thing to do.
The South East Connection-Every Sat 9am-11am GMT+1 8pm-10pm GMT+10
Big Tings-24th Oct With Coki, Loefah, Mj Cole and Zed Bias @ Roxannes
Branded Beats- 6th Nov @ Mercat
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

valuetime wrote:you're not a true soccer fan until you've played for australia. there, i said it.
exactly my thoughts.

unless you have represented your country at a world cup you are not allowed to publicly show any appreciation for football/soccer/feetball/futbol/shinball/no hands football/feet only ball or whatever other name we can argue over.