DJ Shadow Thread :: TONIGHT!

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
drew

Post by drew »

that was mad!!!!!!!! no two ways about it....
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

i've said it before and i'll say it again...the man is a GOD. pure genius.

as much as i loved the start with all the classics it reminded me a little too much of In Tune and On Time. Same tunes mixed together etc, and i didn't like how they were pretty much all lumped into the one section. would have been cool to hear them dispersed more throughout the set.

loved most of the new shit though. the chris james stuff didn't really do it for me, but i think it'll work on the album. there was something about the way he moved that was a bit creepy.

as for lateef...he was cool but the crown big upping got way too much and really annoying after awhile. when will they learn that that shit doesn't really wash too well in melbourne?? he was great though when he wasn't busy with the crowd.

anyway...i'm going to resign myself to being a spinster for the rest of my life, or just settling for a sub-standard version of the shadow. i want to have his babies...and that's all i have to say about that.

oh...mos def...i'm totally unfamiliar with his music unfortunately. he performance made me want to go and get some albums. any man that can still ooze sex in a shirt like that is definitely doing something right.

the decision as to whether or not to go again on thursday is going to kill me.
nic

Post by nic »

good read steiner.
cant wait till tonight, aint been excited till now.
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

phat rave
one more medicated peacefull moment
www.dubstep.com.au
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

:love: :love: :love: :love:
deviant

Post by deviant »

aspekt wrote:ps: sif the forum is just "another generic venue"
lies.
I'm pretty sure he said it was a generic name for a venue ;)

personally I didn't dig Mos Def at all :? not really my cuppa.

DJ SHADOW WAS FUCKING :shock: GOOD

that was one of the best shows I've seen in a long time. The visuals were up there with the visuals I saw at TOOL back in 2002. I was thinking that instead of three shows in a venue like Palace they should have done one massive fuck off show at Rod Laver or something..... that would be unreal.
killeye

Post by killeye »

So who is going tonight?

8) I am
"That's my desire, keep pushing, keep striving"

killeye myspace
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

at the risk of being slated, i thought that was a pretty mediocre show for $80+

mos def was cool but I don't think he really moved the crowd - still, he is a talent.

Shadow I wasn't convinced with ... I couldn't really work out what he was actually doing and it seemed like a very standard DJ set ... if I wanted to hear 10 year old tracks from Entroducing played end to end I could have stayed at home. Visuals were cool I guess. I left halfway into that caving UK vocalist. I sensed (just my opinion) that a lot of the crowd weren't feeling this show.

I loved the last show at the Forum but I thought last night was disappointing.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

What time did Mos Def end up starting.

Should I try to catch the support - were they good?
Don't hate me for house
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

mos def went on around 9:15 jbs :)
steiner

Post by steiner »

Was was there no warm up dj? Just some random beats pumping.

Weird.
Motive

Post by Motive »

Shepherd > seems like a fair appraisal to me. Mos Def was very eclectic but got a great response - a fantastic set. Shadow didn't go down all that well in the middle section, and it felt like watching music videos with a thousand other people and people seemed pretty bored. i hadn't seen Shadow before but i'd heard good things about his last show. i expected some DJing....
great sound tho. had a good night. all bout Mos Def for me
dust

Post by dust »

Motive wrote:Shepherd > seems like a fair appraisal to me. Mos Def was very eclectic but got a great response - a fantastic set. Shadow didn't go down all that well in the middle section, and it felt like watching music videos with a thousand other people and people seemed pretty bored. i hadn't seen Shadow before but i'd heard good things about his last show. i expected some DJing....
:scr1pt:

Yep after waiting 7 odd years to see Shadow, i was really disappointed. I didn't like his new stuff at all and couldn't see enough of what he was doing to be amazed by it. I should have been at the forum show, i think i missed his peak.

Mos Def on the other hand definitely did it for me. Great stuff from an old favourite. That boy can sing!
steiner

Post by steiner »

The David Banner track with the hurricane katrina visuals was awesome.

as were the first two encore tracks - intense.

ENUFF - with lateef was tight.

steam a few of these bad boys already @ solesides.com - i am very excited for the upcoming album
TheOperatives

Post by TheOperatives »

^^agreed motive, Some of the beats mos def was pulling out, the first few tunes (his new stuff) were awesome, his voice was excellent as well.

As for shadow the singing in the middle was just erm, not very good at all, visuals were amazing to say the least but it all did get boring after a while....
ImageImage
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

dust wrote:
Motive wrote:Shepherd > seems like a fair appraisal to me. Mos Def was very eclectic but got a great response - a fantastic set. Shadow didn't go down all that well in the middle section, and it felt like watching music videos with a thousand other people and people seemed pretty bored. i hadn't seen Shadow before but i'd heard good things about his last show. i expected some DJing....

I should have been at the forum show, i think i missed his peak.

Mos Def on the other hand definitely did it for me. Great stuff from an old favourite. That boy can sing!
Agree G

Respect to Shadow for not playing the same set as Forum though.

Forum show was way more up my alley than last night.. more of a tuitorial than a gig. A never to be repeated/had to be there kinda thing.

Having said that I'm glad i went last night. The sound and visuals were great. And although it was a sold out show, there was still plenty of room. Most people could see too which was a first (IMO) for the Palace.

Re. the vocal tracks in the middle ... a lot of balls are required pulling that kinda stuff out to obviously MAJOR Shadow loving crew.. Yes it was different.. yes a lot of people may not dig not dig it..

I heard a lot of negative comments, and even some 'get the fuck off!' yells.... Show some fucking respect.. open your minds a bit ffs!... It's not easy pulling off such a different style in the middle of a mainly hip hop beat driven show.... ANYWAY what would i know :roll:

Latife was a wicked bonus :D Really helped lift my tired feet in ready for the wicked closing set at the end.

Loved some of the new stuff.. looking forward to hearing the complete album on a system at home :D

ok.. back off my box now.. :oops:
Mellogs

Post by Mellogs »

stovequeen wrote:
dust wrote:

I should have been at the forum show, i think i missed his peak.

Agree G

Respect to Shadow for not playing the same set as Forum though.

Forum show was way more up my alley than last night.. more of a tuitorial than a gig. A never to be repeated/had to be there kinda thing.

Having said that I'm glad i went last night. The sound and visuals were great. And although it was a sold out show, there was still plenty of room. Most people could see too which was a first (IMO) for the Palace.

Re. the vocal tracks in the middle ... a lot of balls are required pulling that kinda stuff out to obviously MAJOR Shadow loving crew.. Yes it was different.. yes a lot of people may not dig not dig it..

I heard a lot of negative comments, and even some 'get the fuck off!' yells.... Show some fucking respect.. open your minds a bit ffs!... It's not easy pulling off such a different style in the middle of a mainly hip hop beat driven show.... ANYWAY what would i know :roll:

Latife was a wicked bonus :D Really helped lift my tired feet in ready for the wicked closing set at the end.

Loved some of the new stuff.. looking forward to hearing the complete album on a system at home :D

ok.. back off my box now.. :oops:
Really good points here. Still, I had a wicked time!!
...and basically that's the situation
autumnleaves

Post by autumnleaves »

80 dollars is very steep for a show, especially a DJ show, and I wanted to wait til after the show before I got too worked up, cos if it's worth it, it's worth it.

Unfortunately, Shadow was nowhere near worth it for me. Without the visuals it was nothing, he can't even push buttons properly, what was up with the 'teasing' at the start of organ donor? What was up with the breaking it down a million times with nothing to show for it? What was up with the Travis-esque (remember those guys?) britpop tracks? Normally I don't slag off shows, but this was average at best. Awesome visuals, but no flow or substance.

I didn't see the forum shows, and by all accounts they were where it was at, but this time: shit venue + huge price tag - much of a show apart from the visuals = average at best.

Don't get me wrong, I like the CD's, but as has been said, mostly I felt like I was at home watching Shadow host rage.

Anyway, it's been on my mind. Mos Def was pretty cool, liked that he pulled out Aretha Franklin and was that Jefferson Airplane too? Awesome.

Edit: oh, by teasing I mean that building up a drop is fine, it can be done very effectively, but just being a smartarse and taking it too far can ruin the track.
Last edited by autumnleaves on Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

Um.. guys perhaps we should cool it on this thread so we don't spoil it for others going to the shows tonight and tomorrow.. :oops:
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

wellllly welly well

mos def is sex on legs IMO and such a musical dude seriuosly.
was doubting that he was freestylin but then he proved me wrong...

shadow was different to last time, the gig at the forum was so amazing, with the visuals being of him and the equiptment it WAS more of a tutorial and really let you feel part of the making of the music, last night it felt a bit too much like rock star on stage type dealy.

also, last time, shadow was so humbled by the response from the crowd that it was a mutually elevated atmosphere, i felt like last night he was ready for the melburn crowds enthusiasm and played up to it a bit.

didnt really dig the brit pop stlyes and the due hurt my eyes with his gyrations, but lateef was dope as shit and i love live mc along with shadows mixing and cutting.

all in all, a pretty good show, mos def is my hero, but im sooo glad i went last time to have had the truly 'spiritual experience' that this one didnt quite get there for me.

however, right when i was in the zone, looked down, wallet lost.
five hunnred bucks or so and all cards/credit etcetc....kinda brought me back down to earth and for that i am most pissed off...

was loverly to meet more of you mb headz as well

:wink:
almax

Post by almax »

yeah fuck it anyone wanna buy my ticket??? just kidding

bring on shapeshifter this friday!
Penno

Post by Penno »

Did anybody catch his Splendor set?

Bombed hardcore.... heaps of tech problems... no/dodgy visuals... power fully cut about 20 mins in..... and then when he walked off stage, his closer Organ Doner just started again randomly (the look on one of the roadies faces was priceless...)

And yeah that british guy really killed the vibe, nobody really dug it....

No disrespect to Shadow, I'm just shitty I drove for 26 hours (via Nimbin) to see him on a bad night...
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
autumnleaves

Post by autumnleaves »

Hope I didn't spoil it for anyone, but it is a personal opinion, and I don't think I gave away anything that hadn't already been discussed. And I guess people going tonight and tomorrow wouldn't be reading this thread if they wern't interested in what other people thought about the gig, for better or worse.
Motive

Post by Motive »

stovequeen wrote:Um.. guys perhaps we should cool it on this thread so we don't spoil it for others going to the shows tonight and tomorrow.. :oops:
good point.

@ Steiner - the David Banner track. "Seeing Things" i think its called. that was really good
steiner

Post by steiner »

How about dont read the thread where people will obviously be talking about last nights gig if you dont want to find out.

David Banner track is hot stuff.

Loved the sound system but hated the venue, too dark, dingy and 70's and crap.
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

yeah, what Stovie said.

I'm going back tonight, so we'll see if it's any different/better this time.

I didn't get up the front, which I think I'll do tonight
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

you'll miss most of mos i fink. he started at about 9:15 and finished just after 10.

shadow on just after 10:30.

enjoy mate! wish i could go for seconds
spazz

Post by spazz »

A pretty mad gig I thought.

I was a Mos Def virgin which can be handy, but I thought the sound from his voice was really muddy and I couldnt work out what he was saying half the time. But I will check his music out because I thought the music was pretty fuckin good and really diverse. Loved the Aretha F thing. A really nice voice, and was quite impressed with his transition from singing voice to rappin voice, it worked quite nicely.

But Shadow.............I have loved this guys music for a while now, and his albums will always be some of my favourites, but I thought it was a brave new direction to go. Am a little sick of hearing about the Forum (cause I wasnt there!!) but I thought it was a good show. The brit pop tracks with the Leeds geezer I thought personally was crap, but kudos to the guy for standing up to a hip-hop kinda crowd. Absolute guts.

I thought Shadow's encore was the shizzle, fukin loved it and thought that the crowd overeacted to the Organ Donor business by booing. He was teasing, he did it in a daggy badly communicated way, but peeps got uptight about it.

:?

His new tunes were mostly better than I expected and I will listen to the album. Overall an awesome gig I think. Not sure if I will follow Shadow into his new direction, but good fucking luck to him. He has already left his mark IMO.

Also personally think Lateef is a little overrated. Was sick to death of his constant....Lets hear it for Shadow crap, cause I think we are all familar enough with him that the crowd didnt need it. Having said that..."Break it down" bit was amusing and I liked THAT interaction with the crowd.
aspekt

Post by aspekt »

I thought the versions of his old tracks that he played were a lot heavier and reworked towards his new direction. I went in there worried it was going to be lots of crunk and by the end i was praying for "3 freaks". As far as transitioning skeptics to his new style, he definately converted me. I was losing faith in shadow until last night, i will now follow him in whichever direction he goes in.

The show wasn't as good as forum but considering the limited stage size and the shitness of the venue it still blew my mind. it was different and that's important. I don't think shadow will ever be able to top my memory of the show at the forum but that doesn't really phase me. that gig has been etched into my mind as the greatest show i have ever seen and it's going to take a hell of a lot to beat that.

I also didn't really dig chris james but i'm sure it will grow on me. props to shadow and chris for doing it anyway.

I have no problem paying $80 for a ticket seeing as there's visuals as well as a carefully layered set. You're not just paying for a guy to play records, you're asking an artisan to create a masterpiece.

dj shadow is without a doubt the best producer i have ever heard.
There's no justice, just us.
aBeatPlease

Post by aBeatPlease »

spazz wrote:A pretty mad gig I thought.
I thought Shadow's encore was the shizzle, fukin loved it and thought that the crowd overeacted to the Organ Donor business by booing. He was teasing, he did it in a daggy badly communicated way, but peeps got uptight about it.
The encore kicked ass, bangin tracks... i dont think the crowd overeacted with the booing, from where i was standing it seemed to be more sarcastic, and i think shadow realised that... i dont think anyone really cared they were all too busy creaming themselves waiting for him to drop it back in... it was a great moment.
bassfreak

Post by bassfreak »

Well i'm going tonight. But I'm sure I will enjoy myself much more than you lot. Aint seen shadow before....

Role on Shapeshifter!
chur
aspekt

Post by aspekt »

aBeatPlease wrote:
spazz wrote:A pretty mad gig I thought.
The encore kicked ass, bangin tracks... i dont think the crowd overeacted with the booing, from where i was standing it seemed to be more sarcastic, and i think shadow realised that... i dont think anyone really cared they were all too busy creaming themselves waiting for him to drop it back in... it was a great moment.
yeah same. very tounge in cheek.
the encore just kinda fizzled out though. I was kinda hoping he'd finish it off with a banging track but i'm kinda glad he didn't, just to avoid the totally predictable cliched encore/finale business.
There's no justice, just us.
gnat

Post by gnat »

I loved the gig all in all. The visuals were mad and Shadow played tight as.

Mos Def was wicked especially during the second half

The new Shadow tunes with Chris James didn't grab me at all- it was like Infusion meets Hybrid with Bono vocals. Bored the shit outta me.

Lateef was an absolute treat though

The Palace was nicely full and the usual missions to the bar and toilet were not anywhere near as painful.

Big ups the attending mb crew. Nice to meet some peeps too. Hello to Miss Ghetto Kitty
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

Me in a bit late ... Day off yesterday. Thank fuck, was a bit of a mess.

Good Night. Ace crew. 8)

Mos Def really did it for me, May have been assisted by a couple of spliffs tho..

Shadow was ok. visuals were rad. La :teef: was cool too.

:lol: :lol: @ Air Chicken with the queue rope !!!! "Check this out"

Good to meet you GK !!! :D
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

Just got to work now after Tuesdays show...

I have read through all the comments above and am not surprised by any of them, a show like this is bound to bring a range of responses.
1st thing is, no way near as good as "in Tune and On Time".

That said i was still blown away, loved 80% of the show. The combination of the visualls and music on such a large scale really moved me.

I would be happy to watch wicked music videos with 1000 other people if it was on a huge screen and huge system any day of the week, especially if it is wicked music and wicked imagery.

I would like to see another production artist play some of their tunes in this fashion as a comprassion. Tear their tracks apart and then play them in parts like this. Does it make a difference to people who know shadows work when they watched it?

He could have easily just pressed play on a disc and let it play rather than do any work at all on stage!! Not that i could figure out what he was doing a lot of the time, except for the obvious drops.

Anyway, I really felt it, loved the experience.
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

from my perspective i couldn't actually work out what shadow was doing with any of his tracks ... many sounded pretty much exactly the same as they do on record and the only real manipulation I could work out was the occasional double or delay effect ... maybe I wasn't paying attention but I couldn't see how Shadow was pulling elements from tunes and remixing them on the fly.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

I am not 100% sure, but from what I know of his stuff and watching him there were times when he definatley moved from layer to layer. But as I said, I would like to see some other production artists do similar things to see how other people would perform such a show.
killeye

Post by killeye »

Well I gotta say I loved it.

Not such a huge fan of Mos Def, but still appreciated the performace, he captivated the crowd.

Not having seen shadow before I was quite suprised at how chatty he was. I was loved hearing the Unkle sounds-played two out of three of my all time favourite Unkle tunes (Be There and Celestial Annihilation) in a bit of a pysence fiction mash up at the end...rabbit in your headlights over nursey rhyme was ace :D
The visuals were fantastic. Just made the whole thing even better.
The new stuff sounds great as well. He made the point of saying he loves all types of music and I really think that comes out,the thing I love about the Unkle/shadow/lavelle sounds is the hybridisation of the music. I love the fact that he can have an 'indie' singer next to an mc on stage.

Fantastic show :D
"That's my desire, keep pushing, keep striving"

killeye myspace
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

My diagnosis of the Tue night:

First up, who ran this event? No support acts at all - WTF? No speakers at the back of the club (ground floor) - WTF? And... getting Mos Def to warm the crowd up only to have a 30min lull (with not even a DJ) before Shadow hit the stage. Poor effort IMO.

Mos Def - I thought he was good. But it was very hard to see what was actually going on up there with little to no lighting. The crowd near the back were so rude, the majority of them just talking and laughing around. Seriously, if you came here to talk - FUCK OFF and go to the front bar. I spent close to $90 on a ticket, I'd like to be able to hear what's actually going on. Hat's off to Mos Def!

Shadow - started off well, then got a bit mellow for me. Visuals and lights were simply amazing - best I've ever seen. I thought the dynamics of his set changed dramatically (for the best) with the inclusion of the MC. He just seemed to get the crowd into it more, and the beats got more funky and driving. We went upstairs, and the sound up there was heaps better than downstairs (ie. there was actually bass!).

All in all a good night out. I was a bit weary (being a young old man and all), but so glad I went.

Great to meet up with MB.com crew, Luke, Gnat, Fi, Lou, Kitty, Glenn and others... good times!
Last edited by Direkt on Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

spazz wrote: I was a Mos Def virgin which can be handy, but I thought the sound from his voice was really muddy and I couldnt work out what he was saying half the time. But I will check his music out because I thought the music was pretty fuckin good and really diverse.
Pretty sure Mos Def had a short delay on his vocals for all of his set that was being controlled by a tech somewhere. Unfortunately whilst it 'beefed' up his sound heaps, it also muddied it up considerably.
But... had the delay not have been on his voice he would have needed a back up MC (ala Proof style) or he would have sounded really small and insignificant (no disrespect to the mighty Mos Def).
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

Direktor wrote:Great to meet up with MB.com crew, Luke, Gnat, Fi, Lou, Kitty, Glenn and others... good times!
^^ Was good to meet you finally mate :D

Agreed on the crowd up the back. I tried to get through with 3 full beers and no fucker would move, I was even asking politely too. :evil:
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

You too Luke - finally a face to the name!
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

and to add to it all
the palace found my wallet yesterday

missing money but nothing else

the universe is okay after all.

so whats the next big gig then??

:)
factory worker

Post by factory worker »

ghetto kitty wrote:and to add to it all
the palace found my wallet yesterday

missing money but nothing else

the universe is okay after all.

so whats the next big gig then??

:)
Hidden Agenda!!!
The best way to cure a broken heart is to give the pieces away
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

GK! I am so happy to hear you got your wallet back, despite the loss.
gnat

Post by gnat »

Call of the night from BrB:

'Play sum fucken BREAKS!'

LOL

Good to see Direcktor and Marvs and Shepherd in the house too. MB crew in effect
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

hahahaha hidden is my freakin local now...
ill be there/here tonight...drinks are on kitty if you come introduce yourself!!

and D, i know....so so true about the good crowd there, i mean, everyone was a die hard fan who got off their asses to buy tickets so quickly, thats why i love sell out gigs...we were all there for the music (or most of us from the sound of direktors talking bar dudes)

the only bummer is that i realised while he was still playin, wish i hadnt been brought back donw to earth in the middle of his set!
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

O..............M.............G!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so farken stoked I went the 2nd time. I had an absolute ball last night and enjoyed the show ten-fold over Tuesday nights. I spent the whole night front & centre and I think that made the difference. Mos Def sounded HEAPS better and just seemed to have more fun with it. Fuckin LOVED his set. Topping it off by playing Move On Up and just havin a boogie to it, GOLD!

I think I was a bit too pissed, excited, short, in the wrong spot to really enjoy Shadows set on Tuesday and I was a bit meh after the show. After last nights show I had a grin from ear to ear. He has confirmed his place as God among DJ/Producers. I even liked the new stuff he played (except for one of the Chris James tracks, th 2nd one)
Visuals were completely off the farken hook! This time I was a little TOO close to get the full benefit, but they were freakin awesome. I wish every DJ did there own visuals show at the same time.
Lateef rocked it, didn't annoy me at all.
Got some wicked photo's, just waiting for them to be uploaded.
There was no booing during the Organ Donor tease either, and he did it for longer this time too.
I'll NEVER get tired of hearing Midnight in a Perfect World and when he dropped it in the encore I was done, could die a happy man.
Fucken too good, he OWNS. that is all.
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

breaksRbest wrote:
I think I was a bit too pissed, excited, short, in the wrong spot to really enjoy Shadows set on Tuesday and I was a bit meh after the show.

Short people do it tough at the Palace unless they go upstairs (long way from the stage) or down the back (where the sound is shit). I was swaying like a drunk on Monday trying to get a glimpse of Sonic Youth between all the tall people. :S
Just because I rock, doesn't mean I'm made of stone.
factory worker

Post by factory worker »

Polecat wrote:
breaksRbest wrote:
I think I was a bit too pissed, excited, short, in the wrong spot to really enjoy Shadows set on Tuesday and I was a bit meh after the show.

Short people do it tough at the Palace unless they go upstairs (long way from the stage) or down the back (where the sound is shit). I was swaying like a drunk on Monday trying to get a glimpse of Sonic Youth between all the tall people. :S

off topic, but how was SY??
The best way to cure a broken heart is to give the pieces away