DJ's - do you share needles?

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.

Do you share needles?

Gots my own. Only share with similarly finniky trusted parties
46%
Generally use my own but sometimes just use house needles
13%
Whatever, just use whats going
42%

Total votes: 24

aspekt

Post by aspekt »

jbs wrote:Nothing gets reggae DJs moving faster than the where's that bit that sits over your 7" panic.
what did the rastas say when they ran out of pot?

"what's this shit music?" :teef:
There's no justice, just us.
DC

Post by DC »

Why is this even a discussion?

If you consider yourself a DJ, you should have your own needles, just like someone said with headphones.

As far as someone saying venues don't give a shit about the quality of their equipment....I dare you to check out Miss Libertine (formally Mac's on Franklin St in the city).
Dedicated Breakbeat Shananigans
factory worker

Post by factory worker »

DC wrote:Why is this even a discussion?

If you consider yourself a DJ, you should have your own needles, just like someone said with headphones.

As far as someone saying venues don't give a shit about the quality of their equipment....I dare you to check out Miss Libertine (formally Mac's on Franklin St in the city).
Agreed.......but how long has that venue been open?
The best way to cure a broken heart is to give the pieces away
DC

Post by DC »

The venue is has only been opened for under a week...so things can only get better.
Dedicated Breakbeat Shananigans
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

I stand by my generalisation

exceptions granted, but time will tell with any venue

like a new car, a new sound system works when you buy it... its the wear and maintinence that is the real test
deviant

Post by deviant »

DC wrote:Why is this even a discussion?

I had the same needles on my decks for 2.5 years. Most club needles were actually better than mine anyway.

different story now. but I still don't bring my own, I've had bad experiences taking my equipment out of the house. If a club's needles are shot then I'll just use Marcus's ortofons...... thanx marcus ;)
marcus

Post by marcus »

deviant wrote: If a club's needles are shot then I'll just use Marcus's ortofons...... thanx marcus ;)
Ortofons rule.
Stylus Radio :: Every 2nd Sunday :: 6-8pm AEST :: http://www.nsbradio.co.uk
FoundationStepper

yeah love the sound, dont dig on the lifespan

left ortofons behind because of the speed of war and tear

sound great though
Scholtzy

Post by Scholtzy »

I've had my ortofon's for a fair while and haven't needed to change the needles, and they get used heaps!

If you set them up properly, they shouldn't wear more any more than other needles, and I reckon the whole record wear thing is a bit of a myth.

The only thing I did notice is that they are more prone to put a 'click' on the record if your cueing back and forth like crazy and stop all of a sudden,..solution; don't cue as aggressively.

They sound so much nicer, everybody seems to swear by Shure M447's, but they haven't got shit on concords imo.
factory worker

Post by factory worker »

Scholtzy wrote:I've had my ortofon's for a fair while and haven't needed to change the needles, and they get used heaps!

If you set them up properly, they shouldn't wear more any more than other needles, and I reckon the whole record wear thing is a bit of a myth.

The only thing I did notice is that they are more prone to put a 'click' on the record if your cueing back and forth like crazy and stop all of a sudden,..solution; don't cue as aggressively.

They sound so much nicer, everybody seems to swear by Shure M447's, but they haven't got shit on concords imo.
Do you take them out with you?
The best way to cure a broken heart is to give the pieces away
FoundationStepper

I play 7" a fair amount

the irregularities in the records easily damage the cantilevers

the tips last like any other, but i strongly believe the cantilevers are sensitive. its the natural trade off between a good sounding, sensitive needle, and a lower fidelity, sturdier needle

My setup is always correct also

yes they shit on the 447

the 44G sound better than the 4477 also but again I decided to go from gs to 7s cos of the practicality

try putting your needle on a record and seeing how it floats, would be interesting to see if the cantilever still has its suspension
deviant

Post by deviant »

hey, anyone know anything about the quality of sure whitelabel needles/carts?
Scholtzy

Post by Scholtzy »

factory worker wrote:
Scholtzy wrote:I've had my ortofon's for a fair while and haven't needed to change the needles, and they get used heaps!

Do you take them out with you?
Always.
FoundationStepper

deviant wrote:hey, anyone know anything about the quality of sure whitelabel needles/carts?
no but id love to know more
Mellogs

Post by Mellogs »

HEY MOM!! WERE'S THE MEATLOAF?
...and basically that's the situation