what makes a soundsystem

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
FoundationStepper

what makes a soundsystem

Post by FoundationStepper »

ok,

so outside of the stritly reggae scene we have lazy daze sound system, straightup soundsystem and others (fill in the blanks)

any reason people call themselves soundsystems? I know in reggaeland there are divided schools of thought on this - ie those who keep to the literal meaning of soundsystem, being those running an actual rig, and others who call a soundsystem (or just "sound") a reggae crew who play in a "soundsystem style" ie fx, mc, sampler etc.

further to this, im not sure why other groups non strictly reggae would call themselves a soundsystem? id imagine they dont actually play "in the style of a soundsystem" - probably just a DJ crew?

is it just becuse it sounds cool? is it a musical reference? do some of the sounds they play in a sort of "sound" style? do they have a rig?
Last edited by FoundationStepper on Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
unsoundbwoy

Post by unsoundbwoy »

think lds have a small rig
Andrez

Post by Andrez »

In my wayward case, it's a small rig that includes lots of odds and ends of disparate devices used to make sounds - from proper muzak machines, to toys, a Dictaphone, mp3 player, distortion box, mic, etc.

And I like the sound of "soundsystem"!

;)
Kilgore_Trout

Post by Kilgore_Trout »

I always thought a soundsystem was a crew who ran a rig. Dunno about elsewhere, but I know its pretty common in the hard/london techno scene for crews to call themselves soundsystems (ie AKA and Virus in Melbourne), reason being that they all need to run their own rigs for squat parties and also because that scene grew outta the punk scene, which was influenced by reggae.
FoundationStepper

ive actually seen more proper non reggae soundsystems in melbourne than it have seen reggae ones...

aka, dysfunkt etc
Kilgore_Trout

Post by Kilgore_Trout »

Lol. What happened to AKA and those other systems anyway? I remember a couple of parties after Virus packed up, but they dropped off the radar soon after. I miss the old UPN parties, calling up on the night and heading out to dodgy locations in the western suburbs :(
FoundationStepper

aka = rent the rig now

dysfunkt got too busy and sold off gear
grooki

Post by grooki »

hmmm yeah i reckon nowadays people think it sounds cool.....
http://www.soundcloud.com/grooki

Poised above the void on a cloud of dreams, Everything I grasp is sand through my hands
Johnny Hooves

Post by Johnny Hooves »

I think it sounds cool

Anyway wot about DJ Uptight, has he finished his rig? I heard he just needed a lorry to move it!
FoundationStepper

its like frankenstiens monster - big, loud, impressive but nowhere to use it
Johnny Hooves

Post by Johnny Hooves »

that right?

wots the specs?

ill find it a gig!
FoundationStepper

check him via his myspace - linked on my myspace front page
kronz
Location: so a family walks into a talent agent and the talent agent says "what's your act"?

Post by kronz »

tunes
GO CATS! GO CATS!
HotChipps

Post by HotChipps »

didn't an MC use to be called a DJ? Dont you call yourself a DJ? wheres your mic?
"Do you want to spend your life just in order to function? Or do you want to stand up and FIGHT for it?" - NIc Endo
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

HotChipps wrote:didn't an MC use to be called a DJ? Dont you call yourself a DJ? wheres your mic?
Good point.

OB1, Al, myself and others are in a group called Auburn Rd that's just getting our stuff together at the moment. If we perform as ASS (Auburn Soundsystem), that means we run the whole night - booking support DJ's to play, the venue etc etc... Ie. if the night is bigger than Auburn Rd, it's Auburn Soundsystem.

We were going to call ourselves Auburn Soundsystem, but there's too many crews with similar names. And yes, we are (will be) a live band.
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

Direktor wrote:
HotChipps wrote:didn't an MC use to be called a DJ? Dont you call yourself a DJ? wheres your mic?
Good point.

OB1, Al, myself and others are in a group called Auburn Rd that's just getting our stuff together at the moment. If we perform as ASS (Auburn Soundsystem), that means we run the whole night - booking support DJ's to play, the venue etc etc... Ie. if the night is bigger than Auburn Rd, it's Auburn Soundsystem.

We were going to call ourselves Auburn Soundsystem, but there's too many crews with similar names. And yes, we are (will be) a live band.
:scr1pt:
What he said...
:D
almax

Post by almax »

bust yer speaker with the bassline...

Ive seen Shapeshifter call themselves the soundsystem when its just one of em DJ'n and P Diggs MC'n so instead of their whole band playing, its just their "soundsystem"
ShiKung

Post by ShiKung »

FoundationStepper wrote:
ok,

so outside of the stritly reggae scene we have lazy daze sound system, straightup soundsystem and others (fill in the blanks)

and others who call a soundsystem (or just "sound") a reggae crew who play in a "soundsystem style" ie fx, mc, sampler etc.

id imagine they dont actually play "in the style of a soundsystem" - probably just a DJ crew?

is it just becuse it sounds cool? is it a musical reference? do some of the sounds they play in a sort of "sound" style? do they have a rig?

On Friday Lazy Daze Sound System include 2 MCEE's 3 DJs, 1 playin original tunes and 2 Djs on 3 turntables doing live mixing and sampling of instrumental beats and voacal samples.

We played REGGAE, Hip Hop and Funky Break Beats.

We now and always have considered ourselves a sound system because we are a collective of like minded DJs/MCs/Vocalists ready to play almost any situation. We have travelled with our own and hired set ups before to bring our own Rig to the party. And have also included Percusiion and live instrumentation in the past.

I feel very grateful to have been inspired by Jamican culture as every DJ, MC and party co-ordinator has been. Let us not forget where it all began!

I hope that I have not offended any PURISTS by being inspired by such a unique special culture!
FoundationStepper

Im not offended by anything here... just an interesting point of conversation
FoundationStepper

anyway you know im no purist
ShiKung

Post by ShiKung »

yeah I know but i have encountered people that have been a bit offended in the past! But what can you do??
Andrez

Post by Andrez »

...what's in a word?

:wink:
a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

(tries to resist the urge)

(resistance waning)

Words in papers, words in books!
Words on tv, words for crooks!
Words of comfort, words of peace!
Words to make the fighting cease!
Words to tell you what to do!
Words are working hard for you!
Eat your words but dont go hungry!
Words have always nearly hung me!!!
Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic »

ShiKung wrote:I hope that I have not offended any PURISTS by being inspired by such a unique special culture!
I don't think Kool Herc offended anyone in that regard.
nic

Post by nic »

Citizen Smif wrote:Image
rofl