Tell me whats your Flayva??

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.

Whats you Flayva of Techno

Psytrance/Goa
6%
Breaks
16%
Drum'n'Bass
45%
Progressive Tech
No votes
Dubstep
10%
Gabber
No votes
House
3%
Hardcore
3%
Electro
10%
Acid
6%

Total votes: 31

Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Sorry, but you can't really call these genre's techno can you??

I thought these were different genre's of electronic music - well, d'n'b for me all the way.
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

some gabber is awesome.

i need to choose at least 3 or 4 of those options.
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

Most of those genres cross over quite a bit, don't they?

Hugh - banned for the gabber love. Down 5 points. :P
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
deviant

Post by deviant »

I wanna choose more than one.....

but, you forgot to included techno as a genre :?

what about minimal, IDM, ambient, experimental, etc etc

ah well, I choose breaks but only because you didn't include tech-house.
deviant

Post by deviant »

you should :teef:
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

umm jungle is not an option
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

Jungle is drum and bass.
FoundationStepper

no
FoundationStepper

breakcore too
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

elflaymo wrote:how would you like me to state it then?? what kind of non-human constructed music? what kind of technological music? what kind of electronic music?? I call anything thats made from a synth/computer techno.
Sorry bud... but techno is a genre of music in itself from what I understand. Just a pet hate of mine when all dance music/electronic music gets lumped into the 'techno' basket when some of it is far from techno... :D
flippo

Post by flippo »

huge wrote: i need to choose at least 3 or 4 of those options.
you've got enough Alias's, Munt Beard....... Banana Man
deviant

Post by deviant »

Munt beard is/was factory worker ;)
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

I like both kinds of music...

Country and Western.
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."
spiral

Post by spiral »

don't forget the jungle tekno :lol:
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

spiral wrote:don't forget the jungle tekno :lol:

+jungle house +bloodclot jungle techno.
spiral

Post by spiral »

ras bludclot
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

Will and Grace (ghey d&b)
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

Rum & ass.
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

system wrote:Rum & ass.
Do they mostly play that on boat parties :?: :lol:
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

please change the name of the thread.

every time i look at it, i get usher in my head. :cry:
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

C.I.A. wrote:
system wrote:Rum & ass.
Do they mostly play that on boat parties :?: :lol:

Yes, after a set of 'Rakes' or 'Heck no'.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

I just ate a Red Rooter Flayva for lunch.

I'm blaming this thread...
kronz
Location: so a family walks into a talent agent and the talent agent says "what's your act"?

Post by kronz »

When I'm drinking beer the only flavour of chips i will eat are plain or salt and vinegar.
GO CATS! GO CATS!
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

BBQ are awesome with beer... but some chips BBQ flavour is heaps different to other brands.
kronz
Location: so a family walks into a talent agent and the talent agent says "what's your act"?

Post by kronz »

Nah you cant have too much flavour when your drinking beers coz it fucks with the beer hence plain in No. 1
GO CATS! GO CATS!
witty_pseudonym

kronz wrote:When I'm drinking beer the only flavour of chips i will eat are plain or salt and vinegar.
farken word on the plain.
spiral

Post by spiral »

smith's no1 unsalted with the salt in the bag in the packet
loverly with a tipple
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

kronz wrote:Nah you cant have too much flavour when your drinking beers coz it fucks with the beer hence plain in No. 1
Oh ok.

And that's why you had salt'n'vingar in No.2?
kronz

Post by kronz »

Direktor wrote:
kronz wrote:Nah you cant have too much flavour when your drinking beers coz it fucks with the beer hence plain in No. 1
Oh ok.

Its all about the salt. More salt means your drink more beer which means you have more fun
David Bass

Post by David Bass »

system wrote:Jungle is drum and bass.
would u class noisia or limewax as jungle?
kronz

Post by kronz »

davidbreaks wrote:
No.
FoundationStepper

or 16 armed jack or dj c as drum and bass?

no
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

kronz wrote:
Direktor wrote:
Oh ok.

Its all about the salt. More salt means your drink more beer which means you have more fun
Yes, salt is good.

I prefer the pretzels alongside my beer, or even salted peanuts.... Small goods like salami, kabana and ham are also most lovely...
kronz

Post by kronz »

Direktor wrote:
kronz wrote:
Direktor wrote: Oh ok.

Yes, salt is good.

I prefer the pretzels alongside my beer, or even salted peanuts.... Small goods like salami, kabana and ham are also most lovely...

Yes I do enjoy the odd pretzel with some beer. Not as big on the small goods though. Its pretty hard to rock into a pub get a piont of ice cold beer and a plate of small goods but maybe its something pubs should look into
on tour

Post by on tour »

davidbreaks wrote:

I'd class myself as a junglist.....

I am not a jungle dj but i am a drum and bass dj. Listening to a a lot of what Gein is doing at the moment and that sounds more like jungle to me than some damn amens cut up with ragga samples and some gunshots on some underground US label that. Most of that shit is wak.

Jungle was an era, a moment in history. Jungle was raw because of the equipment they were using and the sounds they were discovering. Jungle was free and relatively unrestricted in its direction. Jungle was aggresive and violent and it was born of the streets of lower class UK, mostly influenced by black folk. Some people carried guns to Jungle parties in the UK and shot them in the air for wicked tunes like we do lighters or the dj for wak tunes like we do abuse. Most of the time there weren't enough jungle releases before a party so the dj's would play happy hardcore. In Melbourne there weren't enough jungle dj's so Atom would organise it with Adelaide so the dj and the Adelaide Massive would come down in buses for the night. MAD RESPECT TO THE EARLY ADELAIDE JUNGLIST CREW!!!! Jungle was a way of life. Jungle techno is a spirit within that most have absolutely no clue about but claim to because they can play represses or listen to the aforementioned amen cut up-ragga sampling-no distro having-re vamped without improvement-cheesy music that can be found today.

Can we move on? We have been discussing this for years.....
Last edited by on tour on Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We will chant with robes on you will learn...
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

kronz wrote:Its pretty hard to rock into a pub get a piont of ice cold beer and a plate of small goods but maybe its something pubs should look into
That's why I mainly drink at the homestead. It's a lot cheaper too, and there's no lineup for the toilets... Oh, and no bad music. :D
FoundationStepper

many people discuss this and move on, yet dont listen to contemporary jungle though - or even dont really listen to any jungle, just drum and bass

the musical distinction is still important

i dont listen to drum and bass (much) i listen to jungle
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

on tour wrote:
davidbreaks wrote:

Me too. Well said, my man. :thumbup:
FoundationStepper wrote:many people discuss this and move on, yet dont listen to contemporary jungle though - or even dont really listen to any jungle, just drum and bass

I've heard quite a bit of 'contemporary jungle' and for the most part, I don't think it shares much with what was being produced back in the '90s, apart from the break and ragga samples. The quality of the music, from what I've heard, is quite poor and seems to be made more for a particular audience than anything else. The beauty of jungle, when produced well, is that the music has a variety of musical styles in it.

Anyway, enough said on my part.
on tour wrote:Can we move on? We have been discussing this for years.....

Please! :)
witty_pseudonym

Citizen Smif wrote:
witty_pseudonym wrote:please change the name of the thread.

every time i look at it, i get usher in my head. :cry:
I thought Craig David did that one.
same generic rnb shite innit?
FoundationStepper

system wrote:
FoundationStepper wrote:many people discuss this and move on, yet dont listen to contemporary jungle though - or even dont really listen to any jungle, just drum and bass

I've heard quite a bit of 'contemporary jungle' and for the most part, I don't think it shares much with what was being produced back in the '90s, apart from the break and ragga samples. The quality of the music, from what I've heard, is quite poor and seems to be made more for a particular audience than anything else. The beauty of jungle, when produced well, is that the music has a variety of musical styles in it.
not to enter into debate on if the music is of quality, or consistent, or who its written for, but it doesnt sound like drum and bass does it. it sounds like jungle. becuase it is jungle, not drum and bass. they are different.

anyway breakcore isnt on the list :twisted:
on tour

Post by on tour »

I am not a jungle dj but i am a drum and bass dj. Listening to a a lot of what Gein is doing at the moment and that sounds more like jungle to me than some damn amens cut up with ragga samples and some gunshots on some underground US label that. Most of that shit is wak.

Jungle was an era, a moment in history. Jungle was raw because of the equipment they were using and the sounds they were discovering. Jungle was free and relatively unrestricted in its direction. Jungle was aggresive and violent and it was born of the streets of lower class UK, mostly influenced by black folk. Some people carried guns to Jungle parties in the UK and shot them in the air for wicked tunes like we do lighters or the dj for wak tunes like we do abuse. Most of the time there weren't enough jungle releases before a party so the dj's would play happy hardcore. In Melbourne there weren't enough jungle dj's so Atom would organise it with Adelaide so the dj and the Adelaide Massive would come down in buses for the night. MAD RESPECT TO THE EARLY ADELAIDE JUNGLIST CREW!!!! Jungle was a way of life. Jungle techno is a spirit within that most have absolutely no clue about but claim to because they can play represses or listen to the aforementioned amen cut up-ragga sampling-no distro having-re vamped without improvement-cheesy music that can be found today.

Can we move on? We have been discussing this for years.....
on tour

Post by on tour »

FoundationStepper wrote:
system wrote:

not to enter into debate on if the music is of quality, or consistent, or who its written for, but it doesnt sound like drum and bass does it. it sounds like jungle. becuase it is jungle, not drum and bass. they are different.

anyway breakcore isnt on the list :twisted:
Sorry to persist with this but it can never sound the same as 'back in the good ole days' because of technology. Kenny used to sample the sound his computer used make when he turned it on so he could use it for a bassline. People don't do that shit now. They don't have to. The sound of jungle techno is pretty hard to emulate...
FoundationStepper

dont get your knickers in a knot - im not telling you that you are not allowed to call youself a junglist.

yeah like most drum and bass isnt wak. most everything is wak.

cant shake that jungle spirit of the past aye. what a mentality
witty_pseudonym

i like music.
FoundationStepper

who said its emulating anyway, its just progressing it in a different direction.
on tour

Post by on tour »

FoundationStepper wrote:dont get your knickers in a knot - im not telling you that you are not allowed to call youself a junglist.

yeah like most drum and bass isnt wak. most everything is wak.

cant shake that jungle spirit of the past aye. what a mentality
Sorry man, don't wear knickers.

too much drum and bass is wak. I can shake the mentality no problem but like wak drum and bass that is is abundance today aswell as the 'Hollywood' remake of nearly every film made, i get over the the whole revamping process. Whether it is sheep, films or music we need to understand that cloning is used for all the wrong reasons.

And dude, working at Slap, the only shop in Melbourne that used to stock modern jungle, i would, every wednesday, listen to every record that came in. I even purchased some modern jungle at times. Not much though because most producers making it struggle to realise what it was all about just like so many junglists struggle to produce drum and bass for today because they can't make the transition from 'the good ole days'.

Look at Ray Keith.
on tour

Post by on tour »

Citizen Smif wrote:Are you going to marky lex
Yes.

From what i saw on Al phone and him lifting the turntable to play like a guitar, i am already there, in the front bar, drinking.

Hope i stay awake..
FoundationStepper

actually i found most of what slap got in did not in most cases touch on the better parts of new jungle... (i dont tend to like most N2O and enjoy some of big cat (some very good erleases though) - only dabblings of other inetresting stuff came in there IMO)

you should check some other stuff... (i always meant to drop you off a mix when i used to come in regularly)

to me listening to an artist like venetian snares (who id loosely call breakcore) is an example of progression - not emualtion - he takes what made drum funk interesting when I first heard it - and pushes it further and further... challenging and interesting. in no way is he situated in the past, as many average jungle producers are (i agree on that in part).

or artists like dj c - moving away from amen based stuff and pushing new beat structures which carry wikkid flow yet are stimulating as well...

or squarepusher on a good day... (dont know what genere to lump him in)

ps
i looked at ray keith and he got all funny and punched me
Last edited by FoundationStepper on Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

FoundationStepper wrote:
system wrote:

Not much. The BPM is the only difference in those two genre labels, for me anyway.
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

jeebus christ stop arguing about it already! i dont think you can actually fit that many options on the stupid poll ffs.
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums