the news thread

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
lynt

Post by lynt »

Crossers her off the list of things to do

:teef:

Sad for her kids man, first she loses a son, then she goes. Tragic.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

For sure. Tragic all round for that chick. I wonder if her new husband will take up her fight for the billions...
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

R.I.P Anna

heard about this this morning. i hear they tried CPR. wonder how that works with fake boobs? no disrespect intended
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

This scares the bejebus outta me :shock:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/ ... 31194.html

If it's not on, it's not on :?
Rob M

Post by Rob M »

I think it's more sad there is a sexual frenzy for females on valentines day.
flippo

Post by flippo »

Lizkins wrote:R.I.P Anna

heard about this this morning. i hear they tried CPR. wonder how that works with fake boobs? no disrespect intended
I'm sure you could still reach the sternum for compressions.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

valuetime

Post by valuetime »

zimbabwe's inflation problem reminded me of this article about yugoslavia in the 1990s, whose prices rose by 15 quadrillion percent (15,000,000,000,000,000) in just over a year! interesting read:

http://www.rogershermansociety.com/yugoslavia.htm
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

valuetime wrote:zimbabwe's inflation problem reminded me of this article about yugoslavia in the 1990s, whose prices rose by 15 quadrillion percent (15,000,000,000,000,000) in just over a year! interesting read:

http://www.rogershermansociety.com/yugoslavia.htm
I saw a mad docu about Zimbabwe the other day, about how lots of their citizens go to Botswana to work cause there's nothing for them in their home country, but Botswana police are always rounding them up and shipping them back. The lengths the Zimbabwians go to to earn a dollar to feed their family, and what they are put through, is heartbreaking.
:(
valuetime

Post by valuetime »

john howard's attack on obama. racist?

http://www.commondreams.org/views07/0214-20.htm
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

valuetime wrote:john howard's attack on obama. racist?

http://www.commondreams.org/views07/0214-20.htm
Obama's the man, man. During his early years, while he was making hundreds of k a year as a senator, he was living in derelict areas in NY, washing out of a bucket so he could be nearer the people he wanted to help. To be in the thick of it and see it every day to remind him of how bad it is for a lot of Americans. For YEARS he did this. I want him to go all the way (and before the WhiteHouse taints him forever...)

IMHO...
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Does this seem a bit fishy to anyone else??

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=227756
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=227924

Your mat Phil bloody Jamieson did him self a mishief and had to take himself off to sickbay. Who says playing rock music doesn't pay?
lynt

Post by lynt »

thanks dude :)

Phil Jamieson has been a shonk for a very long time, guess ice was the straw that broke the camel's back!
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

lynt wrote:thanks dude :)

Phil Jamieson has been a shonk for a very long time, guess ice was the straw that broke the camel's back!
I knew he was a booze hound, and then they released that album called Thrills, Spills and Sunday Pills. His blonde locks don't do him justice, bit of Courtney Love rehab photo.
lynt

Post by lynt »

Hmm, I think he was deeper, some lyrics from Guide to Better Living are quite questionable.
mrj

Post by mrj »

The Mixtress wrote:Does this seem a bit fishy to anyone else??

Not really. Just goes to show that its incredibely easy to be a critic, whats difficult is actually trying to bring about real change.

Garrett is invariably in the position where to influence the issues that are dearest to his heart, he probably has to stay quiet on other issues and policies that he may not neccesarily agree with but aren't as important.

It would be easy to turn on Garrett and go on about how he has changed, and sold his soul to the politics, but I think that would be unfair. The man is trying to make a difference about issues he believes in, and he knows he is in a better position to do that from inside a major political party than as an ageing greenie rocker.

To this end he has to live with the realities of being a party politician, sometimes you have to tow the party line.

I believe his position on this is defendable and realistic. It may look like a backflip, but I think he is just getting smarter and fighting the battles that are important.
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
nic

Post by nic »

Brendon Nelson is a slimy piece of shit iiiint he.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

mrj wrote:

Not really. Just goes to show that its incredibely easy to be a critic, whats difficult is actually trying to bring about real change.

Garrett is invariably in the position where to influence the issues that are dearest to his heart, he probably has to stay quiet on other issues and policies that he may not neccesarily agree with but aren't as important.

It would be easy to turn on Garrett and go on about how he has changed, and sold his soul to the politics, but I think that would be unfair. The man is trying to make a difference about issues he believes in, and he knows he is in a better position to do that from inside a major political party than as an ageing greenie rocker.

To this end he has to live with the realities of being a party politician, sometimes you have to tow the party line.

I believe his position on this is defendable and realistic. It may look like a backflip, but I think he is just getting smarter and fighting the battles that are important.
Hope you're right mrj. I just find that politics seems to change people. Is his commitment to the party more important than his lifelong convictions?
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Not really 'news' exactly, but interesting nonetheless.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/in-depth/ ... 06589.html

I'm gonna go to the park tonight and put a few coins in the sandpit for kiddies to find. :D
dust

Post by dust »

The Mixtress wrote:
mrj wrote:

Hope you're right mrj. I just find that politics seems to change people. Is his commitment to the party more important than his lifelong convictions?
I feel sorry for Garrett because he has to be seen as being in line with the views of his party when he is obviously a little more to the left. I agree totally with MrJ. He is making shrewd political decisions about what is and isn't important to pursue.

And if you want to discuss back-flips, no doubt about it, Hicks will be back in Australia before the next election.... http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/ ... 02399.html
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

How pathetically obvious that Howard has decided it's a top priority to bring the man home mere months before an election when he's been in Guantanamo for 5 freaking years.

That's a back flip with a half pike :roll:
Terry Tate
Location: come in! this is lonely soldier! my location is....bookshop!

Post by Terry Tate »

never too late to right old wrongs

"Texas judge Keith Dean, recently defeated for re-election, decided as he was cleaning out his desk in December that he would order the release of a man that he controversially sentenced to life in prison in 1990. Tyrone Brown was 17 when he committed a $2 robbery, and Dean put him on probation but changed it to life in prison when Brown shortly afterward tested positive for marijuana. (The Dallas Morning News in a series of 2006 articles had reported that Dean had failed to additionally punish a murderer who had tested positive for cocaine several times after his release on probation.)"
[Washington Times, 12-31-06]
New Hampshire's alright if you like fighting.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

The NSW state government apologises for last night's debacle on the roads (and basically anywhere near the Queen Mary 2) yesterday.

It was a fucking big ship, mind you.
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
gnat

Post by gnat »

I wanted to see that ship!

It was almost as long as the entire wharf thingo

:shock:
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

system wrote:The NSW state government apologises for last night's debacle on the roads (and basically anywhere near the Queen Mary 2) yesterday.

the pictures of it are rad. its huge!!! :shock:

what chaos though. crazy nutters!
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Rob M

Post by Rob M »

^^ looking at the pic: I thought Lindsey Lohan died for a sec there.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

Lizkins wrote:
system wrote:The NSW state government apologises for last night's debacle on the roads (and basically anywhere near the Queen Mary 2) yesterday.

the pictures of it are rad. its huge!!! :shock:

what chaos though. crazy nutters!
It was pretty big and pretty mad as well. It dwarfed the Harbour Bridge, which is no mean feat!

Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

did you take your camera down there Sys?
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

Yep, in the morning and later that night. Biiiiiiig boat.
Stray

Post by Stray »

The Mixtress wrote:mother fuckers

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=228808
:evil:
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Proud moment for me (bad for the uni though). My old company Stupid & Stupider Inc actually sold the email server to Melbourne Uni and were responsible for it's maintenance. HA! Morons.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/ ... 50435.html
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/mon ... 50894.html

This quote really made me mad-
"When the crew realised what they'd caught, they spent two hours manoeuvring a net underneath it to haul it on board."

Now forgive me for sounding like a naive nature lover, but when they 'realised what they'd caught', wouldn't it be better to cut the line and let it go? If it's the biggest colossus squid ever found, shouldn't they have taken a picture and let it swim off into the deep blue see instead of gutting it, stuffing it and mounting it in a museum for us all to gape at?

What's with humans making prizes of nature's giants??
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

The story's not very funny but the headline killed me :smt005

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=229351
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

The Mixtress wrote:Proud moment for me (bad for the uni though). My old company Stupid & Stupider Inc actually sold the email server to Melbourne Uni and were responsible for it's maintenance. HA! Morons.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/ ... 50435.html
Who did you work for?

That must be a pretty big account yeh?
Don't hate me for house
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

I worked for a company who's name DOES NOT match it's integrity.
Information Potential.

I remember visiting the IT Manager at Melb Uni when I first started there and they complained about mass issues with email storage etc. My manager took over the account two minutes after handing it to me saying it was too big for me to deal with. HA! You can imagine how very satisfied I was when I read the article :wink:
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

hmm. Never heard of them.

Website is shocking!
Don't hate me for house
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

The first thing I did when I started was get them to fix the 15000 spelling mistakes. I was too embarrassed to send any of my customers to the site until they fixed em up :oops:

The managing director used to send emails like this (to customers mind you)
------------------------------------------------
Mixtress trend for Oct

? ? ?
Going forward

tomorrow please please please/

meeting do

? *

October sales with forecast

tomorrow no

signed xxx
-----------------------------------------------------------

I mean, what the FUCK does that mean?? I swear I'm not sure if the man knew what he was doing :? Never been more glad to leave a job in my entire life.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

That is awesome!
Don't hate me for house
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

It took me 12 minutes to try and re-create what he does in a minute. Complex shiz...
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

The Mixtress wrote:http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/mon ... 50894.html

This quote really made me mad-
"When the crew realised what they'd caught, they spent two hours manoeuvring a net underneath it to haul it on board."

Now forgive me for sounding like a naive nature lover, but when they 'realised what they'd caught', wouldn't it be better to cut the line and let it go? If it's the biggest colossus squid ever found, shouldn't they have taken a picture and let it swim off into the deep blue see instead of gutting it, stuffing it and mounting it in a museum for us all to gape at?

What's with humans making prizes of nature's giants??
Mmmmm. Calamari.

:teef:
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

You could wear those rings as a belt :shock:
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

The Mixtress wrote:You could wear those rings as a belt :shock:

Mmmmmm. Edible belts.
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Don't hate me for house
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

you have got to be fucking kidding me.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

PahMaLa

Post by PahMaLa »

Goodness! But that's quite a bit for just 10mins!
but then again stuff that!
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

D wrote:
Goodness! But that's quite a bit for just 10mins!
but then again stuff that!
10 minutes would feel like a century if someones clubbing you with a stick! Not worth it by a looooong shot.