how did you get into the music you are into?

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
flippo

how did you get into the music you are into?

Post by flippo »

kinda stole this from dubstepforum.com

here is roughtly me from mid teens onward

reggae> reggae > dub> >dub > >dub >dub> dub>
.............................................................\..................... \
metal> metal> metal > metal> metal> ..\..................... \
......................................................... \....\....................... \
............................................................Drum n Bass > ------ DUBSTEP
............................hiphop > Breaks > /............................./
..........................................................\............................/
.............................................................> I.D.M > I.D.M>/
.............. folk > post-rock > ambient> /

(lol wtf)
universal sea

Post by universal sea »

that chart is too complex for a sunday morning so here is an alternate layout:

> First concert was Tina Turner, with my mother when I was like 8 years old. Mother also loved Beatles, which was a good thing for me.
> I also liked the opening music to some wrestlers in the WWF, until I found out it was fake
> Broadway musicals, as I was in a few, a lot of that music was cool

from there I started getting into pop music at the time including

> Vanilla Ice, MC Hammer, I even bought a Color Me Bad CD. And became Vanilla Ice with my tour of Singapore as "MC Spence"
> Orchestral music always enjoyed, the dark, dramatic variety.

> Discovered Metallica, and there was no other music for me for years
> Nine Inch Nails, Smashing Pumpkins, Sonic Youth, Portishead, Cranes, etc
> Continued through the alt rock thing while listening to more trip hop and downtempo

> 1998/99 discovered the electronica/rave thing in the Toronto and Hamilton Canada areas, starting with Trance, then Breaks, some House/Minimal Techno, and drum & bass
> From 2001 on, started getting into downtempo and increasingly into off beat type stuff, all preferences were broken beats
> By 2003 drum & bass was supplanted as my favourite genre of music, with IDM rising, hip-hop rising
> 2006 naturally all about the hip-hop, and the introduction of dubstep. DNB and IDM maintained.
> Music tastes matured in the past 2-3 years where everything is consistent and am appreciate of all kinds of cool music, electronica or not.

fuckit that was long here's a chart

Shit Music > Better Music > Great Music > The Best Music, all the time baby
\
\
\
charts are silly
flippo

Post by flippo »

mine explanation was dubstep-centric because the post was originaly on dubstepforum.com, and the topic was about how you got into dubstep.
universal sea

Post by universal sea »

yes your chart is lovely

did anybody go from pop music into dubstep immediately?
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

5 years old > Jackson 5, anything disco, anything funk

10 years old > Billy Joel, The Police, mainly pop. Madonna, Madonna, Madonna

15 years old > Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Metallica, Transvision Vamp ( :shock: ), anything angsty, add hip hop and anything with a rhyme I could spit. Also, still into Madonna but that love was beginning to fade fast

17 years old > went to my first concert-Pearl Jam. I was a sheltered child :roll: . Was bouncing b/w STP's and Billie Holiday

20 years old > Getting into house, breakbeat, electronic music

25 years old > a few years into my love of dnb and jungle (with little patience for any other type of music)

30 years old > still dnb and jungle, add some dub, breaks, hiphop, reggae, funk, blues, jazz, world music and classical

This has been an interesting post to write. Weird trying to flashback over my youth and recall what was moving me during different periods in my life.
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

kinda:
(argh, can't format it properly.)

hip-hop (still listen to today, a lot)
also: hip-hop -> trip-hop (still listen to today, a bit)
also: trip-hop -> idm (still listen to today)
also: idm -> drumfunk (still listen to today)
also: drumfunk -> dubstep (mainly listen to today)
also: drumfunk -> steve ac23 -> jungle (listen to a bit today)

house -> prog trance -> breaks (still listen to today, a little bit)
also: breaks -> jumpup dnb -> neuro (still listen to a bit today)
also: neuro -> dubstep

it's probably more complicated than that, but that's the cliff's notes.
Last edited by fooishbar on Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Patsy Bisco ---> Slayer.

The end.
mecka

Post by mecka »

grunge -> punk -> punk & metal -> punk & trance/nrg -> punk & drumnbass.

with hiphop and a few other random things thrown in for good measure.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

Child: Paul Simons/ Niel Diamond / Elvis / bla bla bla

Youngster: Pop, consumer feed.

Young: Hip Hop threw older influences and other popular stuff
Underage TIME stuff - House of Pain/ del la soul / Red Hot Chilli Peppers
First record was Vanilla Ice - Ice Ice Baby 7" (still have it) and SNAP ooops up.

Still Young: Mixture of harder hip hop and heavy metal and stoopid party stuff
BodyCount / NWA / Metallica/ Patera / Guns'R'Roses / Tone Loc / young MC
First stadium concerts - Body Count (festival Hall) Chilli Peppers, Metallica (Tennis Centre)

Teen Angst: Angry child /Punk/Ska - anything heavy - discovered trance / More hip hop. DopeBeat lived around the area and he was into happy hard and jungle - heard a bit of that.
Blind Melon/ sound Garden / Swinging Utters / first mixtapes from Dj's in the area mostly tracnce/

15/16: First raves and that was that. Mostly techno but also went to Pervayors and heard big beat/funky stuff I liked.
SL2 / Carl Cox / Sasha and Digweed/ Patrick Lindsay / Future Funk / Fat Boy Slim

year 11/12: Sublime was disovered through SKA sounds - started looking into reggea more

18+: First DnB only parties, loved Jump Up. Heard Freestylers 98/99 at NYE party, bought We Rock Hard and breaks emereged. Loads and loads of Acid Techno parties. Loved the hard acid sounds and live set ups
Soul Of Man / Freestylers / Cluster Fuck / Dave The Drummer / Liberators ...

Since then Breaks / DnB and Dub have taken over. Dont buy much else. Still listen to a bit of everything. As if anyone is going to read this. :)
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

DBoy wrote: As if anyone is going to read this. :)
You kidding?? I reckon this is a fascinating trek into everyone's past :wink:

And I'm with you on the Young MC trip. I listened to Stone Cold Rhymin' the other day and was freaked out by my mouth spitting these lyrics I hadn't heard in years...thought I was possessed or something :lol:
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

Tone Loc/ Young MC/ C+C music factory/ House of Pain/ De La/ Digital Underground/ G.L.O.B.E. /Naughty by Nature...
They all still get a run from time to time. The ladies love it. ;)
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Funky Col' Medina sounds a little too much like rhohypnol poisoning for my liking but I still dug his tunes. You're right, the ladies dug it fir shire.

You managed to select all the one's I'd neglected to mention. I think drugs have really fucked up my capacity for recall. Sorry, who am I talking to??

As more people tell us their youthful musical progressions I'm sure I'll be chimining in with a "yeah, that too man!" comment here and there.

:oops:
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

for sure. Feel the same way. Hard to remember what came when too.
RMHC

Post by RMHC »

:smt003
Last edited by RMHC on Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kronz
Location: so a family walks into a talent agent and the talent agent says "what's your act"?

Post by kronz »

Go flippo nice diagram looks a bit heavy for a Sunday morn though.

Me
grunge-->punk-->metal-->hip hop-->Drum & Bass
GO CATS! GO CATS!
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

Early Childhood (74-80) aka My Dad's Record Collection:

Doobie Brothers, Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles, Allman Brothers, Boston, Country Joe, Steely Dan, Fleetwood Mac, Meatloaf, CCR, REO Speedwagon, Toto, Black Sabbath, Van Halen, The Eagles & Cream.

Childhood (81-87) aka The MTV Years:

The Outfield, Motley Crue, Mike & The Mechanics, Ozzy Ozbourne, Tina Turner, Wang Chung, Adam Ant, Squeeze, The Go-Go's, ZZ Top, Def Leopard (my first bought album was Pyromania), Ratt, John Cougar (both pre and post Mellencamp), Prince, Y&T, Twisted Sister, Human League, Toni Basil & Dixies Midnight Runners.

The Early Teen Years (87-90) aka My First Concert Headbanger Years Where Hip Hop Sucked Balls IMO:

After a very brief foray into cock-rock, a la Kix, Poision, Faster Pussycat and the like, I found Anthrax, Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Sacred Reich, Testament, Exodus, Kaos, Vio-Lence, Death Angel, Sanctuary, King Diamond and this is where I worshiped for the next 2 years.

The Later High School Years (90-92) aka The Chillis Led Me To Funk Years:

Primus, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Fungo Mungo, James Brown, Stevie Wonder and a host of local funk-hybrid bands who've I've since forgot.

The Early College Years (92-94) aka The Finally Embraced Hip Hop, while still loving the Seattle Sound Years:

Del, Casual, Souls Of Mischief, Extra Prolific, Ice Cube, Ice T, NWA, Leaders Of The New School, ATCQ, Cypress Hill, House Of Pain, Funk Doobiest, The Pharcyde, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Mudhoney, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Stone Temple Pilots, etc.

The Gigging With My Funk Band Years (94- 2000) aka The What The Hell Was I Thinking Not Listening to Punk, Ska & Reggae Years:

Sublime, Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, Bunny Livingston, Ziggy Marley, The Police, Sex Pistols, The Clash, Bad Brains, Circle Jerks, Bad Religion, NOFX, Pennywise, AFI (the early years are still my favorite), DRI, The Skatalites, Reel Big Fish, The Specials, Dancehall Crashers, The Selector, Madness, Bad Manners, Desmond Decker, The Suicide Machines, Hepcat and others.

The Moved to Australia and Became A DJ Years (2001-present) aka The Diversity Of Selection Years:

Motown, funk, hiphop, dancehall, dub, reggae, soul, breaks, drum'n'bass, pop, rock, thrash, punk, alternative, roots, nu-metal, surf, jazz, ambient, etc.

I LOVE MUSIC!!!
spiral

Post by spiral »

early years my parents music from hippy stuff all way to sex pistols/stranglers etc

early teens Mike Allens rap show on capitol radio got me buying electro album compilations from street sounds

later teens on to public enemy, run dmc, BDP but also new order/ joy division

88-90 acid music and techno, colin faver and colin dale on kiss fm, pirate club parties, 808 state was one of my first techno albums i think

went to art school then uni and got into free parties
diverse tastes from early breakbeat and jungle techno, to acid to hardcore tekno, drum n bass and gabba

stayed in the free party scene with yearly notting hill carnival and the occasional club night till i left UK in 99

since I been here met ppl that run acid techno nights/ free parties and ppl with DnB friends, have fun at both..

these days i listen to all sorts of stuff but like the hard stuff when i go out ;)
Terry Tate
Location: come in! this is lonely soldier! my location is....bookshop!

Post by Terry Tate »

New Hampshire's alright if you like fighting.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

mecka wrote:grunge -> punk -> punk & metal -> punk & trance/nrg -> punk & drumnbass.

with hiphop and a few other random things thrown in for good measure.
best Avatar ever.
Don't hate me for house
Dark Lord Piddle Bottom

Post by Dark Lord Piddle Bottom »

Back in Nam during 69 I was on my first tour in Pon Tack Tang country and thats how i got into the jungle for the first time.
Everything is proceeding as I have Foreseen

http://www.myspace.com/dark_lord_piddle_bottom
Andrez

Post by Andrez »

Chinese water torture.