MB Guide to Tourist Melbourne

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
Ani

MB Guide to Tourist Melbourne

Post by Ani »

Can't recall a thread like this recently, and did a quick search and didn't find anything. My apologies if there is a thread like this I have missed.

Just thought it would be a good idea for people to post up good things to do around melbourne, during the day etc. Stuff others may not have heard about or wouldn't have thought to do.

My first suggestions are:
1) The Melbourne Museum have an exhibition on at the moment called Dinosaurs from China. It is in it's last few weeks, ends April 17th. I believe the bones are mostly the genuine thing, very few replicas. They predate T-Rex etc. Sort of their early ancestors if you like.

Also, I have it on good authority that starting the end of a June an Ancient Egypt exhibiton will be held at the Melb Museum, mainly looking at burial practises (that's right- Mummies!). I'll keep ya posted :wink:

2) Rippon Lea Mansion and Gardens. 192 Hotham St Elsternwick. Open til 5pm everyday, few bucks to get in, but well worth it. You can just wander around the gardens/lake or take a tour of the house. Built in the 1860's, with additions made up to 1903 (or there abouts), with a 1930's interior over the original.
Fents

Post by Fents »

The top of the rialto towers....Its a Boh view and even better if ya take ya girlie ;) :oops:
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

go to park, drink jager :D
Ani

Post by Ani »

stovequeen wrote:go to park, drink jager :D
quality advice as always :wink:
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

lol.
sneaky hands

Post by sneaky hands »

check out the Andy Warhol exhibition at the NGV.

go kayaking on albert park lake.

explore ACMI at Federation Square.
sneaky flow like cash flow
on the first of the month
for broke cats that's thirst for the blunt
great_magnet
crazy diamond

Post by great_magnet »

Go to free Kylie exhibition at Arts Centre, imagine Kylie in all the mannequins, go home drooling...

GOLD HOT PANTS :shock: :shock:
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
This ain't no foolin' around
TimmyG

Post by TimmyG »

The immigration museum's worth a look. + it's free
Fents

Post by Fents »

SCIENCE WORKS! Proper Boh when ur smashed! :lol:
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

Go to Revolver Sunday morning.... sober/straight :shock:

I done it.... very entertaining :lol:
lynt

Post by lynt »

stovequeen wrote:Go to Revolver Sunday morning.... sober/straight :shock:

I do it every week! :lol:
Amick

Post by Amick »

Thy Thy's - Victoria St. Richmond

Eat yourself stupid. Image
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

lynt wrote:

Ok.. lemme say that again.... sleep... get up, shower and go in FRESH to Vulva Sunday morning..... :shock:

Remember to bring bananas :lol:
lynt

Post by lynt »

stovequeen wrote:
lynt wrote:

Ok.. lemme say that again.... sleep... get up, shower and go in FRESH to Vulva Sunday morning..... :shock:

Aye. I've done that on occassion, but it's hard than you think to get to sleep before hand.
Ani

Post by Ani »

stovequeen wrote:
lynt wrote:

The part that has me confused is the getting up and Sunday morning bit. :smt017
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

Ani wrote:
stovequeen wrote:
lynt wrote: I do it every week! :lol:

The part that has me confused is the getting up and Sunday morning bit. :smt017
lets just say i had the "can you pick me up?!" call sunday morning... i walked in.... looked and round, and went fuk this.. im out of here.. too scary...
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

beers at espy on sunday arvo is a must for any outa towner, as the sun sets and bad boys warm up.

stuff rialto- although you do get the 360 factor, head to sofitel.

st andrew market (need a car).
ruby

Post by ruby »

Footscray Market on a Saturday afternoon.
The Observatory up in the Dandenongs at sunset/sunrise.
Treasury Gardens at sunset with a few beers to watch the bats.
Feed the swans at Williamstown (*and laugh at them attacking tourists).

I work across the road from Revolver some Saturdays and Sundays and I cant tell you how fuxxing hilarious it is watching those fucktards stumble down the stairs :lol:
killeye

Post by killeye »

What about a Ganglands Tour of Melbourne Town?

Take in the sights of Sydney rd/Brunswick (jst down the road from Ani_'s & SQ) :the brunswick club, franco cotzo, and godfather's pizza!
hehe :wink:

In all seriousness, Fed Square is pretty damn nifty, all that free art, great views across the city..contrast of the new style architecture and the old...
"That's my desire, keep pushing, keep striving"

killeye myspace
fikuss

Post by fikuss »

how bout 2/3rds of a duck at Da Hu... 1/2 a bottle of red... 1/2 a bottle of white.... 1 bannana fritter with ice cream (eaten at high speed)... then off to kammo's old place for a huge line in the best graffiti'd kitchen in the universe... then on to <insert venue here> for a lot more booze, spliffs and pounding music before heading back to the infamouse inner city warehouse to sit on the rooftop and watch the sun rise over the top of all the high-rises.... one of the best tours in melbourne and costing only 350 dollars or so it is only marginally more expensive than the rialto top and far more memorable.

...so i hear
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

fikuss wrote:how bout 2/3rds of a duck at Da Hu... 1/2 a bottle of red... 1/2 a bottle of white.... 1 bannana fritter with ice cream (eaten at high speed)... then off to kammo's old place for a huge line in the best graffiti'd kitchen in the universe... then on to <insert venue here> for a lot more booze, spliffs and pounding music before heading back to the infamouse inner city warehouse to sit on the rooftop and watch the sun rise over the top of all the high-rises.... one of the best tours in melbourne and costing only 350 dollars or so it is only marginally more expensive than the rialto top and far more memorable.

...so i hear
i dun that but with out the food... well not if u consider maccas food i just consider it as shit with fat flavouring...

in all seriousness though..

go to Top design and top screen at museum worth a look.. specialy top screen, there some very good pieces.. i also recomend the andy warhol exhibition at NGV
Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic »

I'm told the Melbourne Aquarium is good. Haven't got around to it myself yet, but I've done the Sydney one years ago and that was pretty cool.

Or if you're broke, go to Borders on Lygon St, look at books and mags and listen to lots of CDs, then leave without buying anything. This is probably what I do most often in Melbourne, apart from going to gigs. 8)
Fents

Post by Fents »

fikuss wrote:how bout 2/3rds of a duck at Da Hu... 1/2 a bottle of red... 1/2 a bottle of white.... 1 bannana fritter with ice cream (eaten at high speed)... then off to kammo's old place for a huge line in the best graffiti'd kitchen in the universe... then on to <insert venue here> for a lot more booze, spliffs and pounding music before heading back to the infamouse inner city warehouse to sit on the rooftop and watch the sun rise over the top of all the high-rises.... one of the best tours in melbourne and costing only 350 dollars or so it is only marginally more expensive than the rialto top and far more memorable.

...so i hear
Ahhhh the day Breakage Came to play lounge.....Will never forget that, about 15 ppl came to lounge then we took Breakage up to the rooftop and got him completey sideways. hahahahahah
flippo

Post by flippo »

yeh Hegg Melb aquarium is good. Or you could go see the real thing? if you're willing to drive for an hour or so, you could head down to say mushroom reef at flinders, or the channel at sorento, or Point Lonsdale from the pier around to the surf beach, and swim around and have a look. If you know where to look there is plenty to see and/or eat :D. Just make sure it's a north wind, low swell day if you want to be impressed. Have a beer/spliff/sausage/salad on the beach afterwoods, whatever takes your fancy.
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

C.E.R.E.S

My fav. hiding place. Just like being at home on the farm :D

Take a book, blanket, ipod and spliffs.. and find yourself a spot by the lake 8)
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

Melbourne Aqurium is heaps smaller than the sydney one.
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

The Melbourne Zoo. every weekend the boy suggests we go there but if i am the slightest bit tired or the weather looks shonk i just snuggle back under the covers. Maybe this weekend would be a good one to go! :D
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

Polecat wrote:The Melbourne Zoo. every weekend the boy suggests we go there but if i am the slightest bit tired or the weather looks shonk i just snuggle back under the covers. Maybe this weekend would be a good one to go! :D
been... but its really sad PC.. the cages are tiny :cry:
mecka

Post by mecka »

Little laneways in the city ... the main streets are certainly not where its at in Melbourne.

In fact, most of the interesting things are on the outskirts of the inner city, not actually in the CBD at all.
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

stovequeen wrote:
oh dear. now you have me worried about seeing the elephants "dance". pore little beggars stuck in the zoo. :cry:

makes me wonder about those polar bears they have at seaworld on the gold coast too! :?:
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

Polecat wrote:
stovequeen wrote:
oh dear. now you have me worried about seeing the elephants "dance". pore little beggars stuck in the zoo. :cry:

makes me wonder about those polar bears they have at seaworld on the gold coast too! :?:
you'll see PC.. its so sad :cry:
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

i like Ani's idea of going to Ripponlea. I've always thought that place sounded so cool. Wonder if its near a tram/train line?
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

i also find the zoo depressing. Is the Melbourne Zoo particularly bad, cause when i went, some years ago now, i found myself wanting to do bad things to the keepers.

I think a street art tour would be a dope idea for Melbourne. Not an organised one, but a self find excursion. I know when I am in other cities I try to keep my eye out for dope spots etc. In brissie I found a stencil workshop gallery place in the valley, meet the guys and they let me know where to head to check out some walls etc.

Main Areas of Melbourne
City- laneways
Brunkswick St/ Smith St- just go, you'll see
St Kilda- best on Sundays
Chapel St- "fashion" strip

Ripponlea is near ripponlea station- or elstenwick station on the sandi line- bottom of Hotham St.
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

Ripponlea isn't far to walk from Elsternwick Station and a bus goes straight past it :wink:

Fiwi, Melbourne Zoo isn't THAT bad, especially compared to other Zoo's in the world. most of the Animals aren't actually in cages, they're in multi-million dollar enclosures with not a metal bar in site

not sure which Zoo you're on about?
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

BRB... IMO Melb Zoo is terrible... especially the big cat enclosure..

I'm not a fan of zoo's in general tho... ok for the little creatures.. but its really sad for the big guys.. :(
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

ah! thanks for the heads up on Ripponlea. I'll put it on my must do list. I love visiting heritage places. I spent half my time at the Stencil Festival admiring the meat market building instead of the artworks.

my tip for stencils in Carlton... check out Canada Lane which runs between cardigan and swanston, and comes off Argyle Square on Lygon st. When i was down near the Lincoln hotel and walking off a massive dinner there i found this lane which is chock full of excellent stencils. 100's of them!! its good to visit and see the new ones all the time. :)
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

I'd be keen to do a stencil hunting mission. I reckon Quinn could tell us a few places to check, he speant months taking photos of every piece he could find in Melbourne.
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

breaksRbest wrote:I'd be keen to do a stencil hunting mission. I reckon Quinn could tell us a few places to check, he speant months taking photos of every piece he could find in Melbourne.
Jamie knows :wink:
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

Jamie is definately a Noah
great_magnet
crazy diamond

Post by great_magnet »

I did a stencil/art/graf tour of the CBD with a mate who is heavily into the scene recently, was awesome. Got heaps of good photos.

Burn Crew is doing a wall at Melb Central at the moment, Knox Place just off Swanston St - Phibs has done the maddest sketch of the completed wall, looking forward to the launch party... :D
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
Ani

Post by Ani »

Polecat wrote:ah! thanks for the heads up on Ripponlea. I'll put it on my must do list. I love visiting heritage places. I spent half my time at the Stencil Festival admiring the meat market building instead of the artworks.

my tip for stencils in Carlton... check out Canada Lane which runs between cardigan and swanston, and comes off Argyle Square on Lygon st. When i was down near the Lincoln hotel and walking off a massive dinner there i found this lane which is chock full of excellent stencils. 100's of them!! its good to visit and see the new ones all the time. :)
You can go to rippon lea to just sit on the lawn, have a picnic, read a book etc. I'm tempted to take my uni reading and sit by the lake there, and chat to the ducks :). Maybe a picnic.... I haven't been on a picnic in yonks.

Also, if you like staring at old buildings, you can't go past the Royal Exhibition Building. When there are no exhibitions on you can go for a tour with the museum. I think they run them every afternoon when they can for like $4. I know way too much about that building, but love it. Built in 1880 for the International Exhibiton. It was Melbourne's way of saying to the world "look at me! look at me!!" No shame. Only Exhibition Building of it's time still used for it's original purpose. It's also the museums biggest artefact. It's not considered a 'campus' but a 'piece'.

There is also another historic house just up the road and around the corner from Rippon Lea. It's called La Bassa and is open the last Sunday of every month. It's best example of a 19th century home in melbourne, as in it still has a most of it's original interior (wall papers etc). Incredible house. Worth taking a look before the Trust has to sell it (which is becoming a possibility).
Last edited by Ani on Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

Ani.. go to CERES :)

Its 15 mins walk from you (end of my street). there are ducks, lake, trees and you get bonus hippies.. DO IT!

If you aint been, i'll take you there... oltight?! :D
great_magnet
crazy diamond

Post by great_magnet »

City of Melbourne has an awesome Chocolate Laneways tour as well for those with a sweet tooth... 8)
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
Ani

Post by Ani »

stovequeen wrote:Ani.. go to CERES :)

Its 15 mins walk from you (end of my street). there are ducks, lake, trees and you get bonus hippies.. DO IT!

Been there a couple of times now Fi :wink: Went with the kiddies when I was working at a school, and I went there last weekend with Keely, just for a wonder around. Interesting place!
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

Ani wrote:
stovequeen wrote:Ani.. go to CERES :)

Been there a couple of times now Fi :wink: Went with the kiddies when I was working at a school, and I went there last weekend with Keely, just for a wonder around. Interesting place!
o good! The chickens are my fav. :D
Ani

Post by Ani »

A rooster was being very vocal when we were there. Damn males showing off! :wink:

We had just come from Rippon Lea actually, so in comparison it all looked a bit rough (compared to an english style estate). But you have to appreciate the fact that a place like that exists in the middle of Brunswick!! Who'd have thought?
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

stovequeen wrote:
o good! The chickens are my fav. :D
:smt117
Rob M

Post by Rob M »

stovequeen wrote:BRB... IMO Melb Zoo is terrible... especially the big cat enclosure..

I'm not a fan of zoo's in general tho... ok for the little creatures.. but its really sad for the big guys.. :(
Wow, I went a couple days ago and I thought the same thing. Then I saw your post date and thought HOLY SHIT, 2 years and nothing has been sorted.

Pretty dismal effort. The big and small cat enclosures were ranging from shit to non-existant.

I've also been checking out some places to go.

Found:

A) Puffin' Billy
B) March of the Penguins (Phillip Is.)
C) Portsea
D) Eureka Obs. Deck
E) Rialto 360 Obs. Deck
F) Lake's Entrance
G) Grampians (maybe..but heard bush fires really moked the place.)
H) Werribee Open Range Zoo (? dunno never been, is it good?)
I) Melbourne Gaol (on Russell St.)
Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic »

No one seems to have told all the crims that the gaol is closed because they still always hang around Russell St.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

:lol: