Dj Shadow Live At The Forum, Thu June 7

This is the forum for all things Melbourne beats. Post your gigs and other Melbourne music related information here. Keep it about the music and music only, please keep on topic.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

cant wait for tonight , still so tired, must prevail.

yay for agent 86.

yay.
aspekt

Post by aspekt »

what time did it start?
There's no justice, just us.
Blueprint

Post by Blueprint »

Shadow came on just after 10.. brilliant show, gift of gab made it for me..

had a prob with the mixer early on, started the show again which was bizarre.. the second half was awesome..
gnat

Post by gnat »

that was fucking awesome. so redeemed himself this show despite sound issues early on

mad tune choices, mad mixing, mad scratching, mad visuals, mad venue, mad support by gorilla band with the mad percussion and breakdancers- and of course the man gift of gab, mad spot right at front and shadow has to be the humblest dude ever aahh...

melbourne reckons you're awright dj shadow! you rock hard for a ginga

organ donor tease was awesome, he was having a lot of fun up there and the crowd went nuts

small downs to wastoid fucktards beside us completely choppers eating their faces off

anyone who hasn't got tix for thurs should do themselves a favour

lost voice. tired as hell. back achey but oh so worth it

and for serious there's a 3:1 guy to gal ratio so if you're up for a perve girls there's hotties everywhere
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
dust

Post by dust »

gnat wrote:that was fucking awesome. so redeemed himself this show despite sound issues early on

mad tune choices, mad mixing, mad scratching, mad visuals, mad venue, mad support by gorilla band with the mad percussion and breakdancers- and of course the man gift of gab, mad spot right at front and shadow has to be the humblest dude ever aahh...

melbourne reckons you're awright dj shadow! you rock hard for a ginga

organ donor tease was awesome, he was having a lot of fun up there and the crowd went nuts

small downs to wastoid fucktards beside us completely choppers eating their faces off

anyone who hasn't got tix for thurs should do themselves a favour

lost voice. tired as hell. back achey but oh so worth it

and for serious there's a 3:1 guy to gal ratio so if you're up for a perve girls there's hotties everywhere
:scr1pt: to all that. So fucking good. I feel redeamed for the last show.

Quaanum tunes with Gab made my night.

:smt055 :smt038

thanks Kev!!
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Wow! Sounds like a great show!
gnat

Post by gnat »

i still cannot believe you can smoke at the forum!- well for another month anyway

tres radness: gin, smoke, shadow
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
universal sea

Post by universal sea »

I thought, Bukem aside, Tuesday's Shadow show was possibly the poorest gig I've been to this year. The sound waffled a lot, particularly at texture & bass heavy moments.. not even to mention the absolutely ridiculous 10-15 minute interruption for sound fixing problems that should have been sorted at sound check - he has enough equipment to get by, and the Q&A session was lame. Restarting the set from the very beginning was anti-climatic, until Gift of Gab came on there was very little vibe from the crowd. It was empty and cold, though the Forum is a terrific venue - first time I've been there.

Heavyweight was there from 6pm on to interview Shadow. Apparently he turned down Channel V, MTV, etc, but we're rootsy/street and he liked that. He talked a lot, mostly about pre-1996 memories that a lot of people don't know about. He was very chill.

Then time for the Shadow show concert time. Dexter played alongside average type drummers. The best parts of Dexter's set was the surprising dabble of dubstep, grime, dub and a touch of reggae.

I wanted to see Daddy G but that didn't happen.

Then Shadow emerged. I skulked off behind the left speakers in darkness so I could groove to the music in peace and quiet, I cared about hearing it, not seeing it. Organ Grinder was interesting, but he seemed bored by that point and by the time he dropped the beat he'd almost lost the crowd's full momentum and attention...

It wasn't a wholly terrible gig but I expected a lot more. The ending was just silly. Predictable encore, then very heavy/fast stuff leading into the romantic finish while Shadow slapped hands with the half-full crowd.

As I said to a few friends last night, I've found major gigs in Australia are weak compared to North America. Artists - unless you're metallica - can't bring their full gear and live set up all the way to Australia, the costs can't be justified. But say in Toronto, you get to see the full show to their maximum imagination, because it's not that hard to transport.

4/10 on the gigometer for me.
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

what time does it all start
stable

Post by stable »

How can you compare that gig to Bukeem? Were you on Ghb?

Sound was awesome, and yes, there was some trouble with the mixer (power supply trouble) so he started the whole show again.

Dexters band was great, a little differecnt for my taste but the crunk kids show was worth all the effort..

all i got to say was it was far from an average show.

also, comparing Aussie gig to the US shows is like comparing Earthcore to Glastonbury.

Did you buy a ticket to the show?
dust

Post by dust »

Yeah i agree, nothing like Bukem. I thought the sound was terrific and i love the venue.

Agree that the vibe was a little lacking at the beginning, but that is to be expected at a smaller gig on a Tuesday and also due to the problems with the mixer.

I thought Shadow dealt with the issue really well and seemed very down to earth about the whole thing.

The visuals looked great and it was nice to be in the venue with space to move and to be able to clearly see the visuals, which were ace.

Lighting was awesome too, apart from the high beams in the eye!
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

gnat > so so true, on all counts.

was one of the best shows ive been to at the forum, even WITH the sound glitches.
having a moment to stop actually gave it a bit of a human, interactive element that i dont mind at all, especially when your gonig to see a producer whos every tune you know, but whom you dont really know as a person at all.
and yet again, the same feeling i had in 2002, that Mr DJ shadow is one of the humblest, loveliest big acts ive had the pleasure to see.

from the breaking/crunking to percussion at the start, to the fucking mindblowing lights and visuals, to the crowd participation (yeah hip hop) to gif of the gabs fucknig rapid fire groove lyrics.

man hes amazing. a moment, please.

i loved it.

i also loved the fact that even though his last tour didnt go down as well as his previous staying-true-to-his-past tour, he still maintained that "this is what ive been donig now guys, and its jsut as important to me and relevant as the old stuff" and played some of his hyphy stuff, for that, i give him credit. there was a couple moments when twas a little loud and verging on distorting, but the sounds was heart stopping for most of it.

yes, he played the organ track, and yes, he took the piss out of himself for it, but i would have been dissapointed had he not, like everyone else, even if they wont admit it.

it was a killer gig, a veritable shining comeback, and twas great too see many of melb's music heads/djs/promoters there to pay respect too.

massive props kev > well done.

but this >
universal sea wrote: As I said to a few friends last night, I've found major gigs in Australia are weak compared to North America.

dude, thats exactly the kind of attitude that gets us yankees the rep of being arrogant, righteous, and downright rude.

im not gonig to quote and refute all the stupidness in your post, but get a fucking grip. or at least, please dont make it any harder for us yankees whove spent years trying to show aussies that were not all arrogant fuckwits.

plzthanksbye.
Last edited by ghetto kitty on Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

sounds like he redeemed himself

wicked!

can't wait for tomorrow night 8)
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
gnat

Post by gnat »

what's 'organ grinder'?

that post is complete arse sea

10/10 on the bullshitometer
Last edited by gnat on Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Re: Sea's comments. He's allowed to have an opinion isn't he? Not everybody thinks the same (thank Jah almighty).

Re: North American shows Vs Aussie shows - that's just stating the obvious though mate, and bound to stir people up, this is an Oz-based board after-all my friend.

Carry on.
universal sea

Post by universal sea »

first off, I'm not American, thank god, there are other countries in North America. It's a simple point that makes sense and is a matter of fact. Not arrogance, which Americans do a good job of building up in other ways than the fact it's cheaper to throw gigs there than here.

Gig compared to Bukem, well I go to heaps of gigs as part of what I do for work and play (and no, as part of the TV crew I didn't buy a ticket, had I - I would have been extremely disappointed and possibly angry). So all gigs are clumped together - what is the best thing I've been to this year? What is the worst thing I've been to this year? And this was in the latter spectrum.

Human, interactive element, well I had that for 30 minutes before the show when deeper, intelligent questions were being asked in a more intimate climate, rather than "Want to get high with us after?" or whatever else cack was shouted out.

Sound wise, I was standing very close to the speaker so that's where that opinion comes from.

Quietest crowd I've heard in a while, can that be refuted too? Jeezus.

Boring yet somewhat entertaining at the same time.

Next time Shadow comes I want to see him in a more party setting, and when it says Daddy G is coming, he better damn well be there.
gnat

Post by gnat »

universal sea wrote: Sound wise, I was standing very close to the speaker so that's where that opinion comes from.

Quietest crowd I've heard in a while
was plenty noisy and fun up the front plus vibe plus room to dance

standing close to speaker = um.. move rather than slag sound character on internet forum the nxt day. hardly fair

i hope you paid for your 'boredom' lol
abstar

Post by abstar »

I wish i was going!
:cry:
My sister scored a free ticket last night lucky girl!
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

universal sea wrote:Human, interactive element, well I had that for 30 minutes before the show when deeper, intelligent questions were being asked in a more intimate climate, rather than "Want to get high with us after?" or whatever else cack was shouted out.

well, maybe if every ticket entitled you to an in-person interview with Shadow before the show they'd have the chance to ask 'deeper, intelligent' questions

:roll:
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

universal sea wrote:first off, I'm not American, thank god, there are other countries in North America.
doesnt make much difference when your all the way over here mate.
and its the attitude i was talking about, not whether your backpack has a maple leaf on it.

:roll:

did anyone get any good pics of the show?

cos i didnt!

:?
Dark Lord Piddle Bottom

Post by Dark Lord Piddle Bottom »

universal sea wrote:first off, I'm not American, t

Well you fuckin sound like one!!!

Maybe have an idea of what you are going to!!
Everything is proceeding as I have Foreseen

http://www.myspace.com/dark_lord_piddle_bottom
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Dark Lord Piddle Bottom wrote:

point proven.

there ARE good people from the continent of america out there guys.

me and shadow are two of em.

ha.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Goodness me... and I thought this thread was about Shadow!
universal sea

Post by universal sea »

Ah, to have a conflicting opinion, or to have higher expectations from expensive shows. Maybe it's time in my life for classier shit than electronica gigs.

Pics - we took many, they'll be on the heavyweight site soon.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Direktor wrote:Goodness me... and I thought this thread was about Shadow!
still is.
cj the taniwha

Post by cj the taniwha »

my mrs has scored a ticket for tomorrow night and I wanna go bad.

If anyone has a spare ticket or someone pulls out at the last minute please let me know ASAP.

It is sold out for tomorrow night yeah?
Back from the desert to stir things up a little :)
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

CJ, try Northside Records. It's a long shot, but they still had a few left a few days ago

the excitement is building
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

ghetto kitty wrote:

point proven.

ha.
Touche Kitty, good work!!! :lol: :lol: Good to see you get one back for your country! :wink:

ONE MORE SLEEP!

Cant wait for this gig, only question I have is do I buy my tenth Shadow t-shirt??? :lol: 8) and yes, of cource I do.
cj the taniwha

Post by cj the taniwha »

breaksRbest wrote:CJ, try Northside Records. It's a long shot, but they still had a few left a few days ago

the excitement is building
cheers mate, i'll ring 'em in the morning. :D
Dark Lord Piddle Bottom

Post by Dark Lord Piddle Bottom »

ghetto kitty wrote:

point proven.

ha.
OK the two of you and the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man!!
Everything is proceeding as I have Foreseen

http://www.myspace.com/dark_lord_piddle_bottom
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

i am actually jealous of yall going tonight!

yes lilmiss, buy antoher t shirt!
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

ghetto kitty wrote:i am actually jealous of yall going tonight!

yes lilmiss, buy antoher t shirt!
Thanks, I thort it was the best thing to do :wink:
coda

Post by coda »

I toasted many a vodka shot last night and weeped at not going... Hold a flame for me - Blood on the motorway and High Noon.
cj the taniwha

Post by cj the taniwha »

why weep when you can go?

Northside records hooked me up a ticket for tonight and they still have 2 more left. w00T! :D THanks for the tip brb.
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

cj the taniwha wrote:why weep when you can go?

Northside records hooked me up a ticket for tonight and they still have 2 more left. w00T! :D THanks for the tip brb.
:smt023

see ya tonight!

getting farken PUMPED for this now, not long to go.
coda

Post by coda »

cj the taniwha wrote:why weep when you can go?

SEEYA tonight!
cj the taniwha

Post by cj the taniwha »

Yeah, cheers guys it will be wicked, can't wait to see Gift of Gab and an on-form Shadow.

Northside have only 1 ticket left now.
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

what time do doors open i cant find it ny where
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

they opened at seven on tuesday.
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

Petey, save me a seat at the Booth ;)
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

breaksRbest wrote:Petey, save me a seat at the Booth ;)
what time u getting there bruv

thanks kitty
ctoafn_DMZ

Post by ctoafn_DMZ »

universal sea wrote:I thought, Bukem aside, Tuesday's Shadow show was possibly the poorest gig I've been to this year. The sound waffled a lot, particularly at texture & bass heavy moments.. not even to mention the absolutely ridiculous 10-15 minute interruption for sound fixing problems that should have been sorted at sound check - he has enough equipment to get by, and the Q&A session was lame. Restarting the set from the very beginning was anti-climatic, until Gift of Gab came on there was very little vibe from the crowd. It was empty and cold, though the Forum is a terrific venue - first time I've been there.

Heavyweight was there from 6pm on to interview Shadow. Apparently he turned down Channel V, MTV, etc, but we're rootsy/street and he liked that. He talked a lot, mostly about pre-1996 memories that a lot of people don't know about. He was very chill.

Then time for the Shadow show concert time. Dexter played alongside average type drummers. The best parts of Dexter's set was the surprising dabble of dubstep, grime, dub and a touch of reggae.

I wanted to see Daddy G but that didn't happen.

Then Shadow emerged. I skulked off behind the left speakers in darkness so I could groove to the music in peace and quiet, I cared about hearing it, not seeing it. Organ Grinder was interesting, but he seemed bored by that point and by the time he dropped the beat he'd almost lost the crowd's full momentum and attention...

It wasn't a wholly terrible gig but I expected a lot more. The ending was just silly. Predictable encore, then very heavy/fast stuff leading into the romantic finish while Shadow slapped hands with the half-full crowd.

As I said to a few friends last night, I've found major gigs in Australia are weak compared to North America. Artists - unless you're metallica - can't bring their full gear and live set up all the way to Australia, the costs can't be justified. But say in Toronto, you get to see the full show to their maximum imagination, because it's not that hard to transport.

Were you at the same gig as the rest of us - I thougth it was mad. If you had been up front, the vibe was pretty fuckin cool, especially when Gift of Gab jumped on. Yeah, the show was very similar to the last time he was out here and he had a sound fuck up but what can you do. I thought the Q&A dealt with it well. As fo rthe drummers, I thought that was wicked, not often you get to see that kinda stuff and although they were not 100%, the were still enjoyable (watching the young kids trying to break to it was well amusing.

Anyway, throughly impressed after being stuck on the back wall at the Palace. I was expecting a lot less peopel to show from what I had headr of for the promoters. Good to go to a gig and not have to wrestle your way round the place. Nice.
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

sAme'0 wrote:
breaksRbest wrote:Petey, save me a seat at the Booth ;)
what time u getting there bruv

thanks kitty

not too sure yet, mebbe Supper Inn for some grub before hand
cj the taniwha

Post by cj the taniwha »

well i have to say i really enjoyed that, firmly cemented the forum as my favourite venue in Melbourne, shadow was on point and gift of gab was wicked as well.

Didn't like the second two tunes of the three he played as the first part of his encore they were a bit noisy and un-rythmic but apart from that it was great.
johnnynostars

Post by johnnynostars »

Very impressive show.
coda

Post by coda »

where did the night go? short and sweet. some of the visuals were amazing and Shadow's "perfect after all the sound problems from the other night" set was great! was lovely hanging out with Cj and his gorgeous lady, will miss ya guys!
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

was wickid as always...
got all of organ doner on video on my phone.
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

that was AWESOME!

had the best seats in the house (Thanks Kev) and Shadow's set was as to be expected, brilliant!!