The Movie/Film/DVD thread...

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
Stray

Post by Stray »

Yeah the trailer looks pretty sweet.
Lauer

Post by Lauer »

Probably been said before but The Mighty Boosh series 2... some bizarre funny shit there! OLD GREGG LOL!
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

This week I watched The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada on DVD. I definately enjoyed this thought provoking film and scenery around the Mexican border. My olds liked it too!

Great job for directing and acting by Tommy Lee Jones! He looks old these days. I like Dwight Yoakam in it too!

I also watched Rushmore to add to my Wes Anderson experiences. A cute little film with Jason Schwartzman nailing his high school character who runs 1000 clubs instead of studying.
Just because I rock, doesn't mean I'm made of stone.
gnat

Post by gnat »

Polecat wrote:This week I watched The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada on DVD. I definately enjoyed this thought provoking film and scenery around the Mexican border. My olds liked it too!

Great job for directing and acting by Tommy Lee Jones! He looks old these days. I like Dwight Yoakam in it too!
yah, i loved this too. great cinematography!

we watched almost famous yesterday- for the millionenth time but it is such a great flick

2 scenes- the one where they sing tiny dancer on the bus and the one where she is dancing about on the auditorium floor amongst the red flyers at the end of the gig

awesome
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
Mellogs

Post by Mellogs »

Watched a few over the weekend..

Lucky You - lame poker/chick flick. ew
.45 - hired for some Stephen Dorff action, Milla Jovovich reaffirms that she is a lousy actress and little skank.

The Bourne Ultimatum - loved it!!!
Fracture - not too shabby, nice ending
...and basically that's the situation
gnat

Post by gnat »

stephen dorff is raowww

i'd watch 2 hours of poo just to lok at him
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
Mellogs

Post by Mellogs »

gnat wrote:stephen dorff is raowww

i'd watch 2 hours of poo just to lok at him
high five lady! you should definately see 'Botched' then. Quite possible the worst movie I have ever seen. Required 2 towels :wink:
Will

Post by Will »

Stray wrote:I just watched Shoot Em Up with Clive Owen.
Stupid fun.

lol carrots
:script:

How good's the bit where he kills half a dozen dudes while giving the French bird with the baps multiple orgasms. Awesome. The ultimate combination of sex and violence.
spiral

Post by spiral »

The Darjeeling Limited good but bit too long and contrived
No Country for Old Men excellent

American Gangster- looks the business, saving it for new year recovery viewing to counter balance the might boosh s3
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Was gonna see that last night, sorta glad I didn't now, thanks Spiral. Long and contrived doesn't cut it for entertainment.

Shoot Em Up sounds like a fucking treat :lol:
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
Mellogs

Post by Mellogs »

Stray wrote:I agree on I Am Legend. Ace movie! Will have to track down the book now.
I think the screenplay was written by the same dude who wrote The Cell. Which is one of my all time favourite films (and was also on TV last night) :D

Both films 'the Omega Man' and 'The Last Man on Earth' were based on Richard Matheson's novel I am Legend.

Interesting to note that the film deviates quite a bit from the book. (So I've heard, I havent seen it yet)
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Watched the Cell last night with my sister's man. He'd never seen it and I may not have suggested that it's a bit of a mind fuck. He had the pillow to his face the whole movie :lol:

I love debauching the innocent :twisted:
mecka

Post by mecka »

Mellogs wrote:Interesting to note that the film deviates quite a bit from the book. (So I've heard, I havent seen it yet)
well, the film is set in new york and the book in los angeles, for one thing.
Mellogs

Post by Mellogs »

mixtress wrote:Watched the Cell last night with my sister's man. He'd never seen it and I may not have suggested that it's a bit of a mind fuck. He had the pillow to his face the whole movie :lol:

I love debauching the innocent :twisted:

:smt023 your a sick puppy
Mellogs

Post by Mellogs »

mecka wrote:
Mellogs wrote:Interesting to note that the film deviates quite a bit from the book. (So I've heard, I havent seen it yet)
well, the film is set in new york and the book in los angeles, for one thing.
bang bang
spiral

Post by spiral »

american gangster , slow , long and not very engrossing was hoping for godfather vibe and didnt live up to it

i am legend, ok more idea driven than any strong plot, good zombies/monsters
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

really liked 2 days in paris

very funny and good characters
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Watched part of Charlies Angles movie and most of Catch Me If you Can. Most remakes and rehashed TV show themed mocies are crap anc CH was no exception. Almost enjoyed Leonardo's character, a definite emprovement on Titanic.
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Saw I am Legend last night. It wasn't bad, but i thought it was a bit dull and dragged on a lot.
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

Will wrote:
Stupid fun.

lol carrots
:script:

How good's the bit where he kills half a dozen dudes while giving the French bird with the baps multiple orgasms. Awesome. The ultimate combination of sex and violence.
it's not just any bird. its monica bellucci and she is italian.

film wasnt the worst ive seen. but it was pretty bad huhuh. paul giamatti was a good villain tho.

watched over the holidays thanks to my new usb enabled dvd player yay...

i am legend - not as good as i was hoping for.
300 - finally. huhuh. nice blood effects. huhu.
shoot em up - pretty silly a little funny
bourne ultimatum - good stuff. handheld camera gets a bit annoying huhu
meet the robinsons - you heard me. funny as, best animated flick ive watched for a while.
superbad - pretty amusing aswell. the cops were good.
ratatouille - watched this on a big screen projector setup and it was very pretty. as usual with these animated kids flicks it was rather amusing.
the mechanic - was on the telly last night. charles bronson being a cheesey as hitman in the 70's. pretty cool.

prolly a couple more i cant recall lol.

have a few more lined up but havent got to them yet.

3.10 to yuma
eastern promises
before the devil knows you're dead
stardust
mr magoriums wonder emporium
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

Stupid fun.

lol carrots

:scr1pt:

I used to think he was just lumpy. Now I think he is the ultimate in lumpy with a side of carrot.

Also, Hotrod

Up there with King of Kong.
I used to be legit. I was too legit. I was too legit to quit. but now I'm not legit. I'm unlegit. And for that reason, I must quit.
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

C.I.A. wrote:
Stupid fun.

lol carrots

:scr1pt:

I used to think he was just lumpy. Now I think he is the ultimate in lumpy with a side of carrot.
Fuck that lumpy fucker.
Baby Ruth

Post by Baby Ruth »

Hey huge, FYI Stardust comes to vid on 24/01 but it is playing at the Astor on wed 23/01 at 7:30pm, all tix $8.

So you can still catch it on the big screen one more time.
flippo

Post by flippo »

Hardy wrote:Saw I am Legend last night. It wasn't bad, but i thought it was a bit dull and dragged on a lot.
saw it at flicks few days ago.

edit: spoiler
Last edited by flippo on Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

flippo wrote:
Hardy wrote:Saw I am Legend last night. It wasn't bad, but i thought it was a bit dull and dragged on a lot.
saw it at flicks few days ago.

for some fucking unknown reason, about 10% of the audience thought it was funny that he was sad after his dog and only companion died.

????? I know it's just a film but fucken biggups the emotional retarded massive anyways.
Thanks Flipster :?

Can we have a thing where you write all plot spoilers in white and whoever wants to know can highlight it?
Last edited by mixtress on Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flippo

Post by flippo »

oh fuck totaly didn't think about that.

Let's both edit.
flippo

Post by flippo »

you totaly knew it was going to happen anyway, blatanly obvious. ;)
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Haha, not the point and you know it!

Edited white... :wink:
Hatsudai

Post by Hatsudai »

saw 30 days of night the other day. Really cool vamp flick, wasnt so much horror as action/ suspense.

I also watched bill and teds excellent journey and its the first time i have seen it since it first came out on VHS. Pretty funny really, a bit embarassing but I laughed out loud on several occasions.
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Watched WEST last night. Dark brooding drama set in Sydney's western suburbs. Good gritty Aussie film.
gnat

Post by gnat »

black star wrote:Watched WEST last night. Dark brooding drama set in Sydney's western suburbs. Good gritty Aussie film.
que?

who's innit? think i heard about this just recently

what was the name of the one about the sex smuggling in melbourne? that has to be out on deevers soon..

i watched into the blue yesterday. pretty lame but had shirtless paul walker. defo would hit. also watched lipstick- true story about new york magazine worker who gets breast cancer. was good- well portrayed relationships and inter- relationships between her and hubby and friends and family.

PC, you would like this one :)
Fents

Post by Fents »

black star wrote:Watched WEST last night. Dark brooding drama set in Sydney's western suburbs. Good gritty Aussie film.
you would love the tv series called Dangerous. Set in sydney, gangs go round stealing atm's and shit, lotsa underground stuff and i dont care what anyone says, brooke satchwell is cute.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

you clearly would hit most things then Fents. She ain't much at all

saw Bourne Ultimatim - loved it! Farkin those fight scenes were brutal and awesome. two thumbs up fine holiday fun
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
nic

Post by nic »

yep sorry fents brooke satchwell is as close to a labrador as humans can get.

get some posh spice in ya :teef:
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Caught 'I Am Legend' on the weekend... pretty cool flick, you've gotta have a MASSIVE stage presense when you're the only human actor on screen for around an hour.... bigups to Will Smith. All in all, wasn't as good as I'd hoped - but still, a good flick - a good concept.

For those of you interested in 'American Gangster' (I'm including myself here) - apparently it ain't too concerned with sticking to the facts, unfortunately. Whilst most of the "vibe" of the sotry is intact, Hollywood has once again not let the truth get in the way of a good story. Still, can't wait to see it!
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

huge
old boy

Post by huge »

dont hate on brooke.
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
Will

Post by Will »

huge wrote:dont hate on brooke.
That's Matt Newton's job.

:blackeye:
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

gnat wrote:also watched lipstick- true story about new york magazine worker who gets breast cancer. was good- well portrayed relationships and inter- relationships between her and hubby and friends and family.

Can you remember the name of it gnat?

The one about the trafficing of sex workers in Melbourne in The Jammed
http://www.abc.net.au/atthemovies/txt/s2002090.htm
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

gnat wrote:also watched lipstick- true story about new york magazine worker who gets breast cancer. was good- well portrayed relationships and inter- relationships between her and hubby and friends and family.

Can you remember the name of it gnat?

The one about the trafficing of sex workers in Melbourne in The Jammed
http://www.abc.net.au/atthemovies/txt/s2002090.htm
gnat

Post by gnat »

that's it- the jammed! ta lady

it's called lipstick! i already posted

:lol:
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Will wrote:
huge wrote:dont hate on brooke.
That's Matt Newton's job.

:blackeye:

:lol: so dodge
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

gnat wrote:that's it- the jammed! ta lady

it's called lipstick! i already posted

That dash you posted threw me! LOL thanks. I was thinking lipstick-true, is that a new phrase I mised out on :lol:
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

kitty and i had to turn it off about half an hour in. fucking terrible! acting was horrible, she was nauseating. i didn't realise it was a true story. hmmmm.

the jammed on the other hand a-maz-ing. feels wrong putting them in the same post.
gnat

Post by gnat »

ah well, i thought it captured the cavalacade of drama within in relationships when something goes very wrong

see what you think PC

maybe i was tripping..
PahMaLa

Post by PahMaLa »

Got round to watching This Is England. I had refrained myself from watching it because I thought it would be another Romper Stomper (a babysitter decided to put that shit on when I was 12, traumatized the shit out of me because that's when we had heaps of skin heads were so "out" in NZ anywayyyyy back to my review)
I was mildly surprised. The acting I liked because seeing the who togetherness of the group really looked genuine (more at the start) and the guy who came out of jail (er forget his name) just how fragile he actually was, really tense and quite touching in a weird sort of way.
So not bad.
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

gnat wrote:
que?

who's innit? think i heard about this just recently

:)
West - Nathan Phillips, Khan Chittenden, David Field, Gillian Alexy, Daniel Krige
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

gnat wrote:ah well, i thought it captured the cavalacade of drama within in relationships when something goes very wrong

see what you think PC
I'll see if they have it at my snobs DVD shop :D (Small Screen on Rathdowne).

I watched Wah Wah on the weekend. My god that kid from About a Boy has grown! He's a giant in Wah Wah. There were some great performances, especially Emily Watson as the stepmum (she is always good), and Gabriel Byrne still looks hot for his age.

I thought this movie would be a little better though. Richard E Grant's directing was ok, but the plot were a little lacking in story. 6.5/10.
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

is that the one set in sth africa towards the end of apartheid? i liked it too...but you're right...it was missing something.
Will

Post by Will »

Polecat wrote:
gnat wrote:ah well, i thought it captured the cavalacade of drama within in relationships when something goes very wrong

see what you think PC
I'll see if they have it at my snobs DVD shop :D (Small Screen on Rathdowne).

I watched Wah Wah on the weekend. My god that kid from About a Boy has grown! He's a giant in Wah Wah. There were some great performances, especially Emily Watson as the stepmum (she is always good), and Gabriel Byrne still looks hot for his age.

I thought this movie would be a little better though. Richard E Grant's directing was ok, but the plot were a little lacking in story. 6.5/10.
That's funny. I was just reading about that guy HERE.

He's the main character in Skins, on SBS tonight at 10pm.