Big Day Out 2008

This is the forum for all things Melbourne beats. Post your gigs and other Melbourne music related information here. Keep it about the music and music only, please keep on topic.
Stray

Post by Stray »

If you are going to do something, do it properly or not at all.
Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic »

breaksRbest wrote:he should stop being ghey then

:teef:
lol

Not really a Silverchair fan either. But any bloke who gets to shag Nat Imbruglia must be doing something right.
Fents

Post by Fents »

Special Hegg wrote:
breaksRbest wrote:he should stop being ghey then

:teef:
lol

Not really a Silverchair fan either. But any bloke who gets to shag Nat Imbruglia must be doing something right.
and smoke a spilff with bono :teef:
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

If you buy a ticket, you have a right to complain - just as much as you have a right to sing the event's praises IMO.

Even the BDO promoters said they would listen to feedback and try and improve, being the first time at an untried venue.
Sustain

Post by Sustain »

stovequeen wrote:http://www.theage.com.au/news/music/bmu ... 26566.html

DONT READ if you are going to the sideshow tonight...
what if you went to bdo and going to sideshow?
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

Sustain wrote:
stovequeen wrote:http://www.theage.com.au/news/music/bmu ... 26566.html

DONT READ if you are going to the sideshow tonight...
what if you went to bdo and going to sideshow?
Then you're a lucky bugger :D
FunkyJ

Post by FunkyJ »

Friday wrote:to be honest i find it a little arrogant that some people on here seem to think that they need to tell the organisers what was wrong with the event. they are among the most experienced and accomplished event promoters in australa - but of course people on mb.c know better.

i have no doubt that they would have been aware of the problems going into it and have done the best they can with the situation.
I've spent probably over $100,000 on music in my life time.

I've organised events with DJs and bands. I've set up and broke down stages and gaffered and been zapped by poor wiring and hung off scaffolding. I've had a radio show and a news paper column. I've interviewed hundreds of acts from the biggest to the smallest. I've been to countless events in 4 different cities, seen over 200 live bands and probably double that in DJs.

Most importantly I've been to every BDO apart from 2, in 4 different venues in 2 different cities, reviewed 4 of them, taken photos at 1 of them, and even DJed at 1 of them.

If that doesn't qualify me to say something about an event, what else possibly could?
don't get me wrong, i don't really like the venue and don't think it lives up to the last two, but it's better than it not happening at all and melbourne missing out on all the acts...
I'm from Adelaide dude, so there's no used talking to me about missing out on things... ;)

But I'm thinking about going back to the Adelaide BDO because the venue was so shit.

Think about that for a minute...

I'd prefer to go back to Adelaide - either I'm mental, or that place fucking sucks. :lol:
Ready to drop, Audio rock, here comes the boy from the South!
-= www.funkyj.com =-
RMHC

Post by RMHC »

Direktor wrote:
mixtress wrote:
tiggus85 wrote:daniel johns is such a freaking dickhead... embarrassing for aussie music
I just read on Perez Hilton that he apparently called out to the crowd "I'm not fucking gay!"

Is that why he's an embarrassment, or you just didn't get into the performance? It's a pretty fucking stupid thing to say, quite rude.
I think there's a bit more to it than that Mixie.

There's been speculation in the media for years over his sexuality - which must be annoying.

He apparently wore a lacy garter or something at BDO, dudes were probably heckling him - no doubt the "I'm not fucking gay" was in response to that.... meh. I don't reckon it's rude at all - he didn't pay out on gays, he's most likely just sick and tired of being called gay.
its got nothing to do with his sexuality, i couldn't give a rats arse, it was his arrogance to the crowd and shit house performance that was embarrassing, before such humble and enigmatic performers such bjork and rage he was a joke. i dont really like the music but at least a band like grinspoon played the hits to the bogans and did it in great working class style. No Daniel johns bowie wannabe bullshit. After that performance, its obvious there are a hundred bands in australia more deserving of that slot, who may actually respect the BDO, the kids buying tickets and the timeslot.
gnat

Post by gnat »

i think daniel johns is one of the less arrogant artists actually

he's shy if anything

never seen him in a bad interview- he is respectful and quietly spoken, and kinda baffled by their success

i am surprised by this comment
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

tiggus85 wrote:
Direktor wrote:
mixtress wrote: I just read on Perez Hilton that he apparently called out to the crowd "I'm not fucking gay!"

Is that why he's an embarrassment, or you just didn't get into the performance? It's a pretty fucking stupid thing to say, quite rude.
I think there's a bit more to it than that Mixie.

There's been speculation in the media for years over his sexuality - which must be annoying.

He apparently wore a lacy garter or something at BDO, dudes were probably heckling him - no doubt the "I'm not fucking gay" was in response to that.... meh. I don't reckon it's rude at all - he didn't pay out on gays, he's most likely just sick and tired of being called gay.
its got nothing to do with his sexuality, i couldn't give a rats arse, it was his arrogance to the crowd and shit house performance that was embarrassing, before such humble and enigmatic performers such bjork and rage he was a joke. i dont really like the music but at least a band like grinspoon played the hits to the bogans and did it in great working class style. No Daniel johns bowie wannabe bullshit. After that performance, its obvious there are a hundred bands in australia more deserving of that slot, who may actually respect the BDO, the kids buying tickets and the timeslot.
Ummm... pretty sure the "I'm not fucking gay" comment had something to do with his sexuality mate.

That's all I was commenting on. I wasn't there.

Is your attack an attack on just his personality or his music also? Only reason I ask is, you admittedly don't like their music to begin with - that doesn't necessarily mean nobody else does.

Love em or hate em, you can't deny that they're one of the biggest bands in Oz right now, and also one of the most prolific in the overseas markets.
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

man who cares
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Probably the people discussing the issue.
Stray

Post by Stray »

I thought the silverchair set was fantastic. I was like "I hope they play israel's son" and they did! rocked.
And they always change up their tunes to great effect.
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

i came back just as they were playing israel's son. what a great tune. i thought daniel johns smashed it, although i only heard a couple of songs. should have gone back since unkle didn't do it for me.
Stray

Post by Stray »

FunkyJ wrote: I'm from Adelaide dude, so there's no used talking to me about missing out on things... ;)
Don't you mean Radelaide? :wink:
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Direktor wrote:Probably the people discussing the issue.
:lol:
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
RMHC

Post by RMHC »

meh, he acted like an idiot :lol:

i actually don't mind their music, i thought straight lines was a great pop song. I was with someone who has seen them at least 10 times, loves them and she said he was acting like a idiot.
Last edited by RMHC on Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

tiggus85 wrote:meh, he acted like a twat :lol:

i actually don't mind their music, i thought straight lines was a great pop song. I was with someone who has seen them at least 10 times, loves them and she said he was acting like a twat.

twats a great word.
:lol:

it is
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos