Hi I'm Firestar, new to Melbourne

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
firestar

Hi I'm Firestar, new to Melbourne

Post by firestar »

Hello! I'm Andrew Firestar and I just wanted to introduce myself of here, I hope this is the right place to do it.
I'm originally from Vancouver Canada and arrived about a week ago, your city is a lot like Vancouver actually (i'm sure you've heard that before)

Anyways, just posted to say hello, check out my myspace at http://www.myspace.com/djfirestar - lots of produced tunes,mixes as so on.

Can't wait to dive into the scene here, first stop LTJ and conrad :)

PS: The first 24 hours I was here I drank more beer than I probably ever have in my life, and I'm Canadian! You fuckers know how to drink! I even got a new nickname, 'Moose' haha! I also came from 3 degrees and snow to 34 degress and sun.. I love Melbourne already! Fuck I'm stereotypical. :lol:
firestar

Post by firestar »

http://www.nwdnb.bc.ca and http://www.torontojungle.com to see whats going on at my end of the planet :)
kronz
Location: so a family walks into a talent agent and the talent agent says "what's your act"?

Post by kronz »

Welcome Mr. Firestar.

Enjoy Melbourne!
GO CATS! GO CATS!
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Harro!

:D
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
autumnleaves

Post by autumnleaves »

see you at bukem :)
Izza

Post by Izza »

:wave:
mecka

Post by mecka »

sup firestar. welcome.
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Welcome to Melbourne! Stay the fuck away from my sister.
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

Welcome, my man. A fellow west coast North American is always welcome round these parts.

:wink:
mrj

Post by mrj »

Welcome Firestar 8)
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

Welcome Firestar, glad to have you aboard the rollercoaster 8)

lol Hardy, you idiot
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

welcome!!
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Welcome aboard matey.
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Hello Firestar -
nic

Post by nic »

hallo - cool name
Phyltr

Post by Phyltr »

*insert maple leaf here*
PahMaLa

Post by PahMaLa »

Hi. Welcome to the best forums there is!

:smt040

:teef:
gnat

Post by gnat »

oh hai firestar

and welcome

:wave:
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

obliveus wrote:Welcome, my man. A fellow west coast North American is always welcome round these parts.

hahaha

and there were three....

welcome to the boards mister firestar!!

we is a nice bunch ;)
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

ghetto kitty wrote:
obliveus wrote:Welcome, my man. A fellow west coast North American is always welcome round these parts.

hahaha

and there were three....

welcome to the boards mister firestar!!

we is a nice bunch ;)
2 Yanks and 2 Canadians??
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

oh yeah, sea/fire

and me/OB

but to everyone here we is all BAD yanks hehehe

;)
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

ghetto kitty wrote:oh yeah, sea/fire

and me/OB

but to everyone here we is all BAD yanks hehehe

;)
I'm actually Mexican...I thought you knew that Bo. Pinche de lo a chinga!

ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

well im actually nazi.

but that kind of works now doesnt it?

:P
firestar

Post by firestar »

Wow what a kind response! I can see myself settling in here nicely :) So how about those Pendulum blokes eh.. haha just kidding.

And hello to my fellow Canadians and west-coast'ians. I don't know if you guys know this or not but we have this world class ski resort just out of Vancouver called 'Whistler' and the place is 95% Aussie. They flock to the snowboarding (and some of the best weed in the world)

So I like what I see in Melbs so far, lots of diversity in d&b which is good, glad to see the dubstep scene is strong too! I am totally excited to get into things here.. Is there certian places/venues/shows that I can't miss?

I noticed there is a digustingly huge house scene here (ahem, future music fest) and just wondering how broken beat does here..

It's lagging in Vancouver to be honest, not much going on, but it's a relativly small scene for the population. There's about the same amount of people here as Vancouver but, in my opinion, a much smaller following.. We get the big names through, but it's more like once a month..

So a bit about me, I DJ and produce, http://www.myspace.com/djfirestar, have been into d&b for at least 10 years and try to keep up to date as much as I can. I didn't bring my records however, which i'm kind of regretting now, but it's not impossible to get them. I spin mostly ragga d&b but not old school, I keep up to date and find the newest and best ragga tunes, I'm into the art of crate digging, not promos, which I'm afraid is a dieing art in North America anyways.

Fucking novel writing now, if anyone has any input on anything it would be greatly appreciated..

PS: Best record shop?
universal sea

Post by universal sea »

Enjoy this thread, for it will be the nicest most of them are to you on here, possibly including myself.

Best record shop is my neighbour, DMC Records, at Commercial/Chapel.

the only advice I'd give in general is that aussies are much more laid back than canadians! Vancouver should be more similar than Toronto, but there is indeed a bit of subtle culture shock to adjust to. This place chilled me the hell out, and they don't call their two dollar coins toonies. That's about it.

Enjoy.
flippo

Post by flippo »

firestar wrote:glad to see the dubstep scene is strong too!
get amongst it son 8)
firestar

Post by firestar »

universal sea wrote:Enjoy this thread, for it will be the nicest most of them are to you on here, possibly including myself.

the only advice I'd give in general is that aussies are much more laid back than canadians! Vancouver should be more similar than Toronto, but there is indeed a bit of subtle culture shock to adjust to. This place chilled me the hell out, and they don't call their two dollar coins toonies. That's about it.

Enjoy.
Aw, Toonies, I miss that already haha.

Yeah it's already seeming a lot more laid back, which is exactly what I need to be honest. The culture shock isn't bad, besides driving, i'm looking to drive in the next couple of weeks but fucked if i know what i'm doing over here. Your right turn/tram shit is retarted and I think I might put a little sign in my rear windscreen that says "sorry" with a Canadian flag beside it.
The whole *other side of the road, other side of the car* has not sunk in yet and I look the wrong way constantly.. and I lived in London for a while so you'd think I'd get the hang of it by now...
firestar

Post by firestar »

flippo wrote:
firestar wrote:glad to see the dubstep scene is strong too!
get amongst it son 8)
Oh I will do mate. A good friend of mine (who just happens to be Scottish) has gotten me into it recently and I can't get enough :)
lynt

Post by lynt »

firestar wrote:
universal sea wrote:Enjoy this thread, for it will be the nicest most of them are to you on here, possibly including myself.

Enjoy.
Aw, Toonies, I miss that already haha.

Yeah it's already seeming a lot more laid back, which is exactly what I need to be honest. The culture shock isn't bad, besides driving, i'm looking to drive in the next couple of weeks but fucked if i know what i'm doing over here. Your right turn/tram shit is retarted and I think I might put a little sign in my rear windscreen that says "sorry" with a Canadian flag beside it.
The whole *other side of the road, other side of the car* has not sunk in yet and I look the wrong way constantly.. and I lived in London for a while so you'd think I'd get the hang of it by now...
Trust me, after driving with trams and Melbourne's "all-of-a-sudden" horrendous traffic, the hook turn will save your sorry ass. ;)
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

Greetings. Van is pretty sweet city. The homeless area was kinda crazy, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to be homeless in Calgary, so makes sense.
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

firestar wrote: Fucking novel writing now, if anyone has any input on anything it would be greatly appreciated..
ohh, im a writer! well, on the side, like most writers heheh
would be interested in chatting to you bout that...

and you should come down to laundry on sunday nights for bass high if you like dubstep. or f4 on thursdays.
or wobble.

;)
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

ghetto kitty wrote:
firestar wrote: Fucking novel writing now, if anyone has any input on anything it would be greatly appreciated..
ohh, im a writer! well, on the side, like most writers heheh
would be interested in chatting to you bout that...

and you should come down to laundry on sunday nights for bass high if you like dubstep. or f4 on thursdays.
or wobble.

;)
I'm not sure if Firestar was referencing the fact he was writing a long post or is indeed a write.
Please advise us, cause I'd be interested in meeting more writers too.
I met a guy who has had two novels published on the weekend, fucken inspiring.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

oh! perhaps that was it...

:oops:

i like to manifest writers.....
need more in my life.

i like reading aloud to people. i read a chuck phalinuk story to some friends on the wekend and made them nearly pass out. he is so gross. love it.

i digress.
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

Welcome to melbourne mate! Welcome to melbournebeats more importantly ;) Diggin ur tunes on ur myspace page. Very nice!
...................................................................................................................................................
no more epilepsy raptor jesus
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

ghetto kitty wrote:
need more in my life.

i like reading aloud to people. i read a chuck phalinuk story to some friends on the wekend and made them nearly pass out. he is so gross. love it.
needs a writing thread maybe?
gnat

Post by gnat »

universal sea wrote:Enjoy this thread, for it will be the nicest most of them are to you on here
:crybaby:

lol waambulance

pls don't mind our canadian sea pet

pm him for emo forum newsletter
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
universal sea

Post by universal sea »

dont mind gnat, firestarter. When you go out people will volunteer you things about her :)

hook turn is a pain when it blocks traffic behind. I like tram culture, it's better here than the streetcars in Toronto where you have to line up by the driver and pay, holding up traffic. And people get whacked coming off them a lot.
FunkyJ

Re: Hi I'm Firestar, new to Melbourne

Post by FunkyJ »

hi, I'm a N00b in Melbourne too :wave:
firestar wrote: I also came from 3 degrees and snow to 34 degress and sun.. I love Melbourne already! Fuck I'm stereotypical. :lol:
Don't be surprised if Melbourne weather jumps from 3 to 34 then back to 3 in the space of a day... The weather here is sketchier than Crack Addict on day 4 of an ice bender.
Ready to drop, Audio rock, here comes the boy from the South!
-= www.funkyj.com =-
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

FunkyJ wrote:
firestar wrote: I also came from 3 degrees and snow to 34 degress and sun.. I love Melbourne already! Fuck I'm stereotypical. :lol:
Don't be surprised if Melbourne weather jumps from 3 to 34 then back to 3 in the space of a day... The weather here is sketchier than Crack Addict on day 4 of an ice bender.
i say to peeps 'if you dont like the weather in melbourne, come back in twenty minutes!"

8)
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

gnat wrote:
universal sea wrote:Enjoy this thread, for it will be the nicest most of them are to you on here
:crybaby:

lol waambulance

pls don't mind our canadian sea pet

pm him for emo forum newsletter
Would you two get a room. PLUR!!!

Be nice to me...

Please.

:D
firestar

Post by firestar »

ghetto kitty wrote:oh! perhaps that was it...

:oops:

need more in my life.

i digress.
Haha, yeah I was just saying I was writing a long post.. HOWEVER, I have been known to do some writing in the past, and would really like to get into the travel writing field, so, there ya go, half there.
firestar

Post by firestar »

andy_hoffman wrote:Welcome to melbourne mate! Welcome to melbournebeats more importantly ;) Diggin ur tunes on ur myspace page. Very nice!
Cheers for the kind words mate!
firestar

Post by firestar »

universal sea wrote:dont mind gnat, firestarter. When you go out people will volunteer you things about her :)

hook turn is a pain when it blocks traffic behind. I like tram culture, it's better here than the streetcars in Toronto where you have to line up by the driver and pay, holding up traffic. And people get whacked coming off them a lot.
Yeah well Melbourne public transport, especially from the suburbs kicks some serious ass on Vancouver's system, so I'm not complaining about that at all, however, I'm still not used to the whole getting off the tram while cars are still whizzing by thing.. the stops in the middle of the street are fun to a newbie!
firestar

Post by firestar »

FunkyJ wrote:hi, I'm a N00b in Melbourne too :wave:
I've heard the old 'wait 20 minutes' thing already, much like Vancouver. However Melbourne doesn't get to -15 like Vancouver, which I prefer 100%.

PS: Welcome to Melbourne too, where are you coming from?
firestar

Post by firestar »

PS: I dunno if anyone's interested but I posted a mix in the mixes section, it's a bit dated but gives a good idea of the kind of stuff I spin..

http://melbournebeats.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12670

I'll post a lot more once I find some good hosting out here :)