ROOTS NATION // 25.05.08 // Horace Andy, Luciano,

This is the forum for all things Melbourne beats. Post your gigs and other Melbourne music related information here. Keep it about the music and music only, please keep on topic.
unsoundbwoy

ROOTS NATION // 25.05.08 // Horace Andy, Luciano,

Post by unsoundbwoy »

Terrasphere in association with the Victorian Arts Centre presents ROOTS NATION 2008

Horace Andy, Luciano, Mikey General, Black Scorpio Sound plus more JA, UK and local acts to be announced ...

25th May, 2008
TheOperatives

Post by TheOperatives »

wow
ImageImage
marke

Post by marke »

yewww 8)

skylarkinggg
unsoundbwoy

Post by unsoundbwoy »

its all about black scorpio
:)
will see ticket prices before i get too happy about this one.
marke

Post by marke »

Think i read that it was $30 and then closer view were $59.
Tickets through the arts centre..
hang on ill just post the info..below

2008 Roots Nation - feat. HORACE ANDY, LUCIANO, MIKEY GENERAL and more..
By:

MEDIA RELEASE 17 MARCH 2008
the Arts Centre & Multicultural Arts Victoria in association with Terrasphere Productions presents as part of MIX IT UP!

ROOTS NATION
Strictly Roots & Reggae Music from around the world!

FEATURING DIRECT FROM KINGSTON, JAMAICA International Reggae stars:
HORACE ANDY, LUCIANO & MIKEY GENERAL with FULL BAND

SUPPORT BY AUSTRALIA’S INDIGENOUS & REGGAE MASSIVE - SOUNDSYSTEMS, MC’S & SELECTORS INCLUDING: BART WILLOUGHBY (No Fixed Address, Mixed Relations) CHANT DOWN SOUND, NATTY SISTREN SOUND, HEARTICAL HIFI, TJIMBA POSSUM AND MORE

From Kingston Jamaica to the bass driven music lovers of Melbourne comes Roots Nation 2008, taking audiences on an inspiring cultural and artistic journey experiencing the amazing food, sights, music and art forms that are part of the incredible genre of Reggae Music. Roots Nation 2008 will feature the mighty Jamaican music legend Horace Andy, whose unique voice is adored by reggae fans the world over, and carried hip-hop and soul into a new era through his collaborations with Massive Attack. Also headlining will be the brilliant Luciano, the most universally revered, iconic figure to emerge in reggae over the past decade. Not only is he a consummate songwriter, a wonderful singer but also a spellbinding live performer. Luciano will be joined by fellow Jamaican Reggae star Mikey General.

Local acts will include Australia’s own Indigenous reggae star Bart Willoughby, front man of the legendary No Fixed Address and Mixed Relations and now backed by his Melbourne based band playing all their hits. There will also be a massive line up of Melbourne’s reggae selectors and MC’s including Natty Sistren Sound, Heartical Hifi and many more. Prior to the Roots Nation concert in Melbourne a series of workshops will be held in Indigenous communities of the Northern Territory with visual footage of Jamaica and Australia to accompany the main concert.

Horace Andy now regarded as Jamaica's most distinguished and loved vocalists; Horace is blessed with one of the finest voices in Reggae Music. His classic recordings from the '70s with producers such as King Tubby, Prince Jammy and Bullwackie remain crucial listening, while his more recent work with trip-hop heroes Massive Attack has introduced the singer to an entire new generation of devoted fans. www.myspace.com/horaceandy1

Luciano as the Messenger is an emissary whose work contains important teachings for humanity and who peacefully strives for the betterment of society. As such, his songs have the power to touch the soul, to communicate spiritual truths and uplift our hearts to an unprecedented degree. Jamaican reggae music hasn't produced such a well-loved figurehead since the days of Bob Marley and Dennis Brown. www.lucianoreggae.com

From 2pm onwards enjoy the food from Sassy’s Jamaican Kitchen, free live music, stalls
and the Oz Reggae Roots and Culture stand selling music, DVD’s and merchandise.www.ozreggae.com

ROOTS NATION is part of the Arts Centre’s MIX IT UP! program, which celebrates the cultural diversity of Victoria through music, dance, art and theatre from around the world. This year’s program is all about music.

the Arts Centre & Multicultural Arts Victoria in association with Terrasphere Productions presents as part of MIX IT UP!
ROOTS NATION
Sunday 25 May | Free activities from 2pm. Show at 5pm.
the Arts Centre, Hamer Hall | Tickets: $30 - $59 Premium tickets also available.
Bookings: theartscentre.net.au*, 1300 136 166*, the Arts Centre Box Office or Ticketmaster outlets
*Transaction fee applies
Media enquiries: Simon Raynor on 03 9314 0272, 0413 007 602 or [email protected]
marke

Post by marke »

double up
Last edited by marke on Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
BEATS INC.

Post by BEATS INC. »

Boh!
Im there...i was wondering if Horace was going to come out
bassfreak

Post by bassfreak »

Shame it's not an outdoor event :( :(
Allocated seating for a reggae gig just aint cool......
BEATS INC.

Post by BEATS INC. »

Money money money
is the root of all evil
marke

Post by marke »

bassfreak wrote:Shame it's not an outdoor event :( :(
i agree, but went to raggamuffin and it was good, noone sat down and everyone just moved to to the front, wasnt a big issue. that was at vodaphone though. never been to hamer hall?? maybe its a tight seating area??

my only qualm is the no spliff with the tunes.. but getting used this now at gigs..
BEATS INC.

Post by BEATS INC. »

very strict seating!
no dancing for sure!!
oh well...it will still be wicked
bassfreak

Post by bassfreak »

marke wrote:
bassfreak wrote:Shame it's not an outdoor event :( :(
i agree, but went to raggamuffin and it was good, noone sat down and everyone just moved to to the front, wasnt a big issue. that was at vodaphone though. never been to hamer hall?? maybe its a tight seating area??

my only qualm is the no spliff with the tunes.. but getting used this now at gigs..
Yeah I was at Raggamuffin as well. That should have been outdoors too! Tickets would sell better.........
cammo

Post by cammo »

shine eye girl is a trouble to a man

since everyone is pulling out there fav andy quotes.

ill be der fa sure
Charlie73
Location: Somewhere between South @ North.... Melbourne that is

Post by Charlie73 »

BEATS INC. wrote:very strict seating!
no dancing for sure!!
oh well...it will still be wicked
I have not found the seating that strict there, i mean sure if you are going to see Ballet then they will be stricter, but at soemthing like this, should be fine...

We are going!
ulyssian

Post by ulyssian »

Most likely attendees also....
Would be nice if it were outdoors if the weather is like today.
Ahhhhh sunshine and Vit D!
enigneyratorelknaw

Post by enigneyratorelknaw »

GOT a Ticket woooooooo hoooooo,

Can't freakin wait 8)
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

yeah got good seats to this a while back - looking forward to it so much!
bassfreak

Post by bassfreak »

I should be going......
But not :cry: :cry:
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

holy crap! if only my girl liked em booo huhuh
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

huge wrote:holy crap! if only my girl liked em booo huhuh
You are officially a woman.
sneaky hands

Post by sneaky hands »

gig was tremendous
never thought id smell weed pungent down the front at Hamer Hall. The venue wasnt equipped for that number of heavy drinkers either, but holy shit it sounded amazing on the sound system there.
sneaky flow like cash flow
on the first of the month
for broke cats that's thirst for the blunt
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

Hardy wrote:
give over!!

and blimey i didnt notice this was at hamer hall!! fuuuurk.
ShiKung

Post by ShiKung »

The after party at laundry was one of the meanest sundays yet!! We can now put luciano down on the list of guests we have hosted! Awesome vibes seeing the dancehall heads loving the dubstep flavours before hand.

And big up Dan the owner for his phat bag of dubstep and reggae vinyl!!
BEATS INC.

Post by BEATS INC. »

Wow!
That was amazing..Luciano killed it
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

huge wrote:
Hardy wrote:
give over!!
I don't know what that means, but can only assume you have challenged me to a duel. I accept your challenge, you shall feel my rapier twixt your eyes!
enigneyratorelknaw

Post by enigneyratorelknaw »

ShiKung wrote:The after party at laundry was one of the meanest sundays yet!! We can now put luciano down on the list of guests we have hosted! Awesome vibes seeing the dancehall heads loving the dubstep flavours before hand.

And big up Dan the owner for his phat bag of dubstep and reggae vinyl!!
yes, was so cool to be able to do the double. we got to see a deeper side of these artists at laundry...trully a privalige

Horace Andy was a fav, Luciano is a mad man(summersaults, wtf?), and black scorpio is a reggae history on legs...great times, good to see artist with 110% passion(almost turn me into a christian, maybe next life)

My only beef was that after all the preaching about savouring your roots and culture Bart Willoughby was allowed to be kicked out of laundry because he grabbed the mic off Black Scorpio and slurred 'rastarfari'. Or was i the only peep to witness that? I mean where are our priorties...

Anyway all in all a mad night
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Farrrkkk.... only just read this.... :cry:
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

Great gig, felt very privvy to be able to see this as a relative late comer to reggea.
ulyssian

Post by ulyssian »

ended up in daylesford longer than planned.. therefore missed also.... damn it :(