University Courses Online - Anyone done one?

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
ctoafn_DMZ

University Courses Online - Anyone done one?

Post by ctoafn_DMZ »

I was looking at goig back to school and doing a uni course. Open Universitys Australia has a whole bunch of stuff online part time (I cant give up my FT job to go back on campus).

Has anyone here done one with these guys or others? Just hoping to see if there are worth looking at.

Cheers ;-)
apophenian

Re: University Courses Online - Anyone done one?

Post by apophenian »

Wow, you just inspired me to have a look myself. I never actually finished my degree and want to know what I could possibly get prior credit for.
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

A lot of universities also have courses you can do off campus. I'm doing a masters by coursework online at the moment through Deakin. I must admit i'm finding it difficult to get motivated not having classes to go to or people to bounce ideas off, but that's just me.
Jinx

Post by Jinx »

My sister is doing psychology by distance at my uni, Charles Sturt. She likes it and seems to have alot of flexibility with it so she can still work full time and does chunks of course work when she has the time. I think you can pretty much do anything you want by distance at CSU. Like witty said some people can find it difficult to motivate/organise themself to do the work though, which is something to be mindful of :)
ctoafn_DMZ

Post by ctoafn_DMZ »

Jinx wrote:Like witty said some people can find it difficult to motivate/organise themself to do the work though, which is something to be mindful of :)
I think thats where the discipline (or lack thereof) comes in.

Just worried about the workloads, 50-60 hrs a week at work plus promoting (which Id have to scale down) plus dj'ing plus gym plus girls plus study...... fark me, sounds nasty when you put it down like that.
mecka

Post by mecka »

Well thats the thing isn't it... Uni changes everything in terms of a work/life balance. Its a big commitment.
Jinx

Post by Jinx »

Yeah I am definitely one of those ppl who can't do it, hence why I am on campus and have a few friends who were distance last year but had to come on campus because they couldn't do it. However like I said my sis picks the workload and still works. I'll ask her but think she is doing 2 subjects a semester at the moment and if she has any other tips. Do you have an idea of what you want to study?
ctoafn_DMZ

Post by ctoafn_DMZ »

You rock Jinx.

I was looking at a Batchelor or Accounting or Business. I just dont want it to drag on too long, I'm 30 next year and dont want to be finishing it when I'm 40 and about to cark it ;-) Id be curious to see how long it is going to take her on her current workload or if she plans to ramp it up at any point?
Jinx

Post by Jinx »

Ok Ctoafn

Just talking to her now, she does 2 subjects but has managed to get her work hours down to 30hr/week. She thinks business wouldnt be to bad by DE but unsure about accounting. She said that at 2 subjects for a 3yr course will take her 6years but she plans on transfering from CSU to Monash at some point and finishing it full time (when she can afford to) and she said you can do as little as one subject a semester but that would make a 3 year course even longer than 6years.

Cheers :)
Gliding High
Location: Little Evil's evil cave, 666 Nasty St, Horribleville

Post by Gliding High »

I deferred from actual 'Uni' and have been doing my studies online this year. Probably going back next year - but I sort of like being able to work on my own time. May finish the whole degree like this? Not sure yet.
There's heaps of pros and cons for off campus study (all pretty obvious) - you just have to weigh up what suits you best, and how much time you can actually put into school a week.

I highly recomend it it you haven't got time to be at Uni every day.
You just have to be pretty dedicated, and allocate your time efficiently - you start doing more than three units with hardly and tutoring or feedback, and it starts to get pretty hard - especially if your not into a particular unit or two.
I usually do 3 units at a time, but Austudy will pay you as a full time student for doing two.
Doing 4 units next study period. Unfortunately they won't pay me double :)

I recomend doing it, because before you get your degree you can work into a diploma and certificate - at the end you come out with three serious qualifications. All good in my book :)