NEXT HYPE(Grime) OPENING NIGHT - Fri Sep 10

This is the forum for all things Melbourne beats. Post your gigs and other Melbourne music related information here. Keep it about the music and music only, please keep on topic.
Baddums

NEXT HYPE(Grime) OPENING NIGHT - Fri Sep 10

Post by Baddums »

ROLL UP! ROLL UP! Melbourne's first proper UK grime night starts Friday September 10 at Mercat Basement. Presented by the crew behind the Heavy Innit parties, NEXT HYPE brings the sound of the London underground to the CBD with regular selectors Affiks, Camo and Mat Cant spinning the new and classic grime, dubstep and UK funky with MC Fraksha from Smash Bros/Nine-High at the helm. Guaranteed rowdy vibes with plenty of sub and bounce from 10pm til 4am. $10 entry. Opening night guests: Bonnita & Popeye.

http://www.facebook.com/next.hype.au
http://www.heavyinnit.com

FRAKSHA - 'It's Just Bars' MIXTAPE mixed by DJ AFFIKS

View this on Soundcloud

Watch the posted video on YouTube.

Last edited by Baddums on Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
kiss & tell

Re: NEXT HYPE(Grime) OPENING NIGHT - Fri Sep 10

Post by kiss & tell »

David Bass wrote::retzielikes:
Baddums

Post by Baddums »

kiss & tell

Post by kiss & tell »

i'll be away but enjoy guys!
EvilSnakeWoman

Post by EvilSnakeWoman »

GRRRRRRRIME!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA8dxfTdWLA

jujuman still makes me giggle :nahnah:
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

brap!
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

braps
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
FRAKSHA...

Post by FRAKSHA... »

u got bars blud?

'...fooishbar
mans cant ramp with fooishbar
leng man down thats fooishbar
etc etc...'
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

haha murkle man is the same number of syllables as fooishbar ... too easy
EvilSnakeWoman

Post by EvilSnakeWoman »

i like this one. listen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBDYniOOojc

shall we :dancing:
... we shall
Mat Cant

Post by Mat Cant »

was good fun, i think everyone should get behind this night
Baddums

Post by Baddums »

so do i, but i doubt they will...
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

Baddums wrote:so do i, but i doubt they will...
gis a smile.
FRAKSHA...

Post by FRAKSHA... »

was fun, good to see some new faces too...maybe grime is not white or middle class enough for melbourne, seems to be a definite preference towards non-street based music over here...oh well, the potential is definitely there, hope the next one goes good!
Baddums

Post by Baddums »

it can be a successful event with a few tweaks... just need to get more hip-hop heads involved I think...
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

FRAKSHA... wrote:.maybe grime is not white or middle class enough for melbourne
I don't think that really... Grime is good music, it don't matter if your white/black/asian or wat socioeconomic background you come from.. the amount of rich private school people who listen to gangsta rap is proof of that.

it needs to be way less dudes with hoods pulled up all fighting to get on the mic and trying to grab the spot light (i am not saying this is you) but I have often thought that about aussie hip-hop gigs in general. I mean it isn't as if people come down and push other djs off the decks and chuck on their favourite tune.

grime to me is often too (and i hate to use the word) "hardcore" for it to get to a wider audience especially on a local tip. imo the only popper professional people that do grime in melbourne is you and scotty, other people are close but they don't have anywhere near the understanding of the music and they are way to eager to try get the in the spot light and make it all about them.. grime in melbourne needs loose the wannabe englishness (apart from yourself and scotty of course as you are english) for it to work in melbourne, people like tornts could potentially get it going from a local tip as he has that rawness but i am not sure. Aussie Hip Hop went big when people went away from the Americanness the same imo needs to happen for it to be big in Australia. any way that's my two cents
Baddums

Post by Baddums »

some good comments in there pete
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

i would love to see grime work in aus and melb i def think it has potential but i think it needs some australian mc's who take it away from its heritage and make it australian grime, not australian mcs who are trying to do english grime.
Baddums

Post by Baddums »

i agree... there's a few that can take it there... tornts and other affiliated crew
FRAKSHA...

Post by FRAKSHA... »

I hear ya Pete and you make some good points, some of them i agree with for sure

i think 'gangsta' rap is kinda different in that America has such a cultural influence on the rest of the world so these rich kids listen to it and they probably would do to grime if it blew up in the states...i think things are slowly changing over here, particularly as more non euro nationalities integrate into the country, but i do think that the more popular 'electronic' genre's over here are generally more white and safe and thats not to detract to the music and lower it in anyway. I just find that when its considered 'hardcore' 'black' etc then its not as accepted. Look at garage, ten years ago it was in a similar place to where grime is/was in terms of audience and a lot of people who may play it out now or play whatever its been renamed as would have looked down on it ten years back, but re-package it and take away the street aspect of it and bare people are loving it. Same with jungle in a way, i know loads of people who didnt give it the time of day when it came about but a few years later when it was deemed a bit safer/mainstream it grew in popularity...i'm just rambling anyway

i have very similar views on the hip hop scene too, its real safe and a bit bland i found, everyone wants to do this nice friendly triple j stuff cos the Hoods and Bliss n Eso blew up. Before they did the scene was much more diverse and interesting. I was chatting to Tornts about it last night, every other country has a 'hardcore' scene and outlets for it etc etc, but its very hard over here to get that same level of respect that you may get in europe for example. Tornts has just come back from a month in Europe where he played to thousands at Hip Hop Kemp in Czech Republic, chances of getting on any festival over here for him are extremely slim!

I definitely agree with you its never gonna be huge over here, its alwaysa gonna be a small thing. But in saying that it is a hardcore type of music, its a competitive type of music too so to a degree i dont mind beef on the mic etc. i think the hip hop scene needs more of it, needs more people getting called out, pulled off stage if they're weak, would love to see it happen to some dj's haha...love the fact that Bonez called out Nino Brown this week...but as long as it dont develop into stabbing each other and can be taken within the context of lyrics then its all good

end of the day its a relatively young genre even in London so i cant expect much, but i would hate for it to end like a bland version of itself over here, but definitely agree that some ozzie mc's need to focus on making it more australian. Tornts showed he could do grime on my last mixtape and i think hes gonna be doing a bit more in future which is good

Like i say, as the country becomes more multi culturally diverse and accepting of each other then i think that the music scene will prosper more, with more diverse music and more integration of other cultures into music...lets face it, we in England wouldnt have made any of the new and interesting genre's of music if it wasnt for the West Indian and African immigration to the country

the name grime itself probably dont do it any favours!

anyways, probably fighting a losing battle here haha
kiss & tell

Post by kiss & tell »

hardcore? i wouldn't say dizzee rascal is hardcore and he's the don of grime
EvilSnakeWoman

Post by EvilSnakeWoman »

well it was a hell of a lot more fun than dancing to old heavy innit mixtapes in my lounge room!

word. grime rules.
Stryfe

Post by Stryfe »

I just think it needs more exposure over here, which may mean bringing more of the big names over. I'm suprised after the success with Dizzee (and foreign beggars to a lesser extent) that i havent seen more acts in australia, suppose it doesnt help that wiley put on terrible shows/no-shows.

Scorcher is touring with ice cube next month, the problem with that is the hip hop heads going to see cube would think he's UK Hip Hop when what thier hearing is grime. It's probably likely they will like what they hear aswell but won't make the connection. Pity that tour is so tight and there is no chance for him to be picked up for a solo show with the local grime crews pushing the sound for us. I suppose the same could be said for any touring internationals though :s

Anyway, how frequent is this night going to be, i thought it was weekly so was gonna come down this week but i havent seen an announcment for it so i guess its fortnightly or monthly?
itchybritches

Post by itchybritches »

same o wrote:i would love to see grime work in aus and melb i def think it has potential but i think it needs some australian mc's who take it away from its heritage and make it australian grime, not australian mcs who are trying to do english grime.

Mc Swarmy - firewater (Prod.JUZLO)

View this on Soundcloud

FRAKSHA...

Post by FRAKSHA... »

Stryfe wrote: Scorcher is touring with ice cube next month, the problem with that is the hip hop heads going to see cube would think he's UK Hip Hop when what thier hearing is grime. It's probably likely they will like what they hear aswell but won't make the connection. Pity that tour is so tight and there is no chance for him to be picked up for a solo show with the local grime crews pushing the sound for us. I suppose the same could be said for any touring internationals though :s

Anyway, how frequent is this night going to be, i thought it was weekly so was gonna come down this week but i havent seen an announcment for it so i guess its fortnightly or monthly?
Yeah its a pity Scorcher will probably not do any grime in his set i reckon, he's full trying to leave it behind and do swag pop-hop. I did try and get him to Melbourne for a straight grime show. He was all good til he heard it would be grime and then didnt respond haha he's signed a huge deal with Geffen and they wont want him anywhere nr grime, they all want a new chipmunk. Hes got a solo show in Sydney which i was supposed to do but i ended up getting double booked...reckon it'll be a full industry wank off tho

yeah next hype will happen again, buut definitely not weekly or fortnightly, it just wouldnt work. They were always plannd to be pretty irregular, we'll prob work out the next one soon

and on thatt note ill leave you with the new Newham Gens video : )

same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

kiss & tell wrote:hardcore? i wouldn't say dizzee rascal is hardcore and he's the don of grime
if u think dizzie is grime then i don't know what to say really.

itchybritches wrote:
same o wrote:i would love to see grime work in aus and melb i def think it has potential but i think it needs some australian mc's who take it away from its heritage and make it australian grime, not australian mcs who are trying to do english grime.

Mc Swarmy - firewater (Prod.JUZLO)

View this on Soundcloud

not bad, not really feeling the beat bit samey standard strings arrangement
FRAKSHA... wrote:I hear ya Pete and you make some good points, some of them i agree with for sure
I am pretty much coming completly from a marketability of the genre to audiences with everything that I am saying.
FRAKSHA... wrote:i think 'gangsta' rap is kinda different in that America has such a cultural influence on the rest of the world so these rich kids listen to it and they probably would do to grime if it blew up in the states...i think things are slowly changing over here, particularly as more non euro nationalities integrate into the country, but i do think that the more popular 'electronic' genre's over here are generally more white and safe and thats not to detract to the music and lower it in anyway.
I think it will definatley improve here but I don't think it will ever be big, as much as I would like it to be, I just can't see it happening (unless you get some big record company over here "re-package" it. Ie Wearing My Rolex styley

FRAKSHA... wrote:I just find that when its considered 'hardcore' 'black' etc then its not as accepted. Look at garage, ten years ago it was in a similar place to where grime is/was in terms of audience and a lot of people who may play it out now or play whatever its been renamed as would have looked down on it ten years back, but re-package it and take away the street aspect of it and bare people are loving it.
That is the same with in the UK though yeah grime is big compared but there are allot more people, that Katy B and Benga tune is completley safe and 'white'

FRAKSHA... wrote:i have very similar views on the hip hop scene too, its real safe and a bit bland i found, everyone wants to do this nice friendly triple j stuff cos the Hoods and Bliss n Eso blew up. Before they did the scene was much more diverse and interesting. I was chatting to Tornts about it last night, every other country has a 'hardcore' scene and outlets for it etc etc, but its very hard over here to get that same level of respect that you may get in europe for example. Tornts has just come back from a month in Europe where he played to thousands at Hip Hop Kemp in Czech Republic, chances of getting on any festival over here for him are extremely slim!
The reason these guys have gotten big is that they appeal to Australian culture. For the most part Australian culture doesnt have some brooding underbelly of commission flats and people who are just genereally dis-satisfied to the point where they turn to violence, drugs, crime etc etc. We aren't all squshed together, it isnt always grey and shit weather. How can you expect Australians to get into music that for the most part they can't relate to.
FRAKSHA... wrote:I definitely agree with you its never gonna be huge over here, its alwaysa gonna be a small thing. But in saying that it is a hardcore type of music, its a competitive type of music too so to a degree i dont mind beef on the mic etc.
I wasn't talking about beef, I was talking more about proffesionality, crowd interaction etc, I just don't think many melbourne mcs have it tbh.

FRAKSHA... wrote:end of the day its a relatively young genre even in London so i cant expect much, but i would hate for it to end like a bland version of itself over here, but definitely agree that some ozzie mc's need to focus on making it more australian. Tornts showed he could do grime on my last mixtape and i think hes gonna be doing a bit more in future which is good
Hopefully, I think tornts is quite talented maybe he can maybe he cant. I also think the lack of anyone producers here won't help the cause, but maybe there are people our there.

I agree with bits and pieces of what you have said but from a pure marketing perspective and how Australian music/Australian culture is I can't see the way that grime is in its current form ever getting much attention in Aus. Sure you will have a few peeps mix the odd grime tune in there set and stuff like that but that isn't going to make a "scene" imo. You may also get the odd crew out but that isn't really gonna make it. I think the most marketable crew and style of grime would be Virus Sydnicate I think they have allot of potential to get big in Australia they are alot less in your face.

Any ways I am going on a bit, it my opinion and I could be completly wrong, I have been before on many occasions.

:wink:
FRAKSHA...

Post by FRAKSHA... »

all good man, i completely agree, it'll never be big over here for the reasons you give but i do think theres potential for a small underground scene, but will probabably come from more from the hip hop side of things

also agree about Virus Syndicate, they're over here early next year which should be good
arctic

Post by arctic »

I was here for this...was a sick night. I'm from Birmingham, UK and moved over to Melbourne a couple months back. Back home I was involved in a heaaavy grime scene, dj'n most weekends with all the regular brum mc's. As soon as I found out there was gona be a new grime night here, I had been spreading the word to all the people I've met since moving here and got a crew of people down from my hostel (most didn't even know what grime was and had a sick one). The night imo was decent, the venue appropriate and the mc's were all sick. Fraksha, mate, you smashed it. I heard your name before and it was good to see ya..saw you last weekend at Wobble and you killed it there too. I make beats and would love to collaborate on a tune if you're keen? I'll hit you up on facebook...

I think there's definitely potential for a smaller scene here, even if it's just the regulars once a month. I'm here till Feb 2011 so if you need any help in promoting this further, please hit me up.

safe
For new tunes:
[url]htt://www.soundcloud.com/arctic[/url]

For bookings, news & updates:
http://www.myspace.com/arcticuk

One half of Gamblers:
http://www.myspace.com/gamblersuk
kiss & tell

Post by kiss & tell »

same o wrote:
kiss & tell wrote:hardcore? i wouldn't say dizzee rascal is hardcore and he's the don of grime
if u think dizzie is grime then i don't know what to say really.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)
FRAKSHA...

Post by FRAKSHA... »

[quote="arctic"]I was here for this...was a sick night. I'm from Birmingham, UK and moved over to Melbourne a couple months back. Back home I was involved in a heaaavy grime scene, dj'n most weekends with all the regular brum mc's. As soon as I found out there was gona be a new grime night here, I had been spreading the word to all the people I've met since moving here and got a crew of people down from my hostel (most didn't even know what grime was and had a sick one). The night imo was decent, the venue appropriate and the mc's were all sick. Fraksha, mate, you smashed it. I heard your name before and it was good to see ya..saw you last weekend at Wobble and you killed it there too. I make beats and would love to collaborate on a tune if you're keen? I'll hit you up on facebook...

I think there's definitely potential for a smaller scene here, even if it's just the regulars once a month. I'm here till Feb 2011 so if you need any help in promoting this further, please hit me up.

safe[/quote

thanks mate! come down this on Saturday if you're about or yeah hit me up on facebook
dyzlexic

Post by dyzlexic »

I've been meaning to get my shit together and get some tracks done but a lack of beats isn't helping! I got a tonne of double-time bars now that I'm doing more dubstep parties, but haven't hooked up and locked shit down with any producers yet. Hopefully something comes my way or I'll just have to get the band to play me some grimey shit hahaha...

The quick spitting is what got me into grime not so much the attitude... I reckon it could take off in oz the only issue will be if the ruckus mentality scares people from coming.

I used to host a hiphop night out in Frankston (Fraksha I recall a Nine High set) that was really rough. Heaps of fights ON STAGE during battles and sets. These retarded, drunk, shitcunt MCs just had no respect for the people running the night, the acts playing, the venue etc etc and after a year they had to move venues and the night died out. I was actually told by people during that time they wouldn't come see my crew play because of the fights that happened - and we did political hiphop! Once you get a rep like that it's hard to shake.

I missed the night as I was gigging but heard good things... Hopefully I can make the next one and will definitely be smashing up the open mic :slayer:
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

on the other hand, this is really good

they're no goons, dem man are fruits, they're lickle strawberries to me
DON'T BE A PEANUT LIKE EMINEM
:wheel:

bare too much shoutouts too